• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

California DVC Owners Group

FWIW, someone on the VGC thread wrote to Terri Shultz to find out that there will be a $20 discount on the top three tiers of the new Magic Keys, same as the old AP discount.
Interesting. I’m hoping that the pattern of not doing any major price increases holds true for the gold pass.

I was just looking at reserving Studio room in June 2022. All three types are booked for weeks of June 12th and 19th. There must be an event over those two weeks...any info?

I am rethinking my first reaction to the Magic Key program.
  • My current thought: Do not buy anything on 8/25.
  • Take a "wait and see" approach ... watching for various hard-ticket events through the holidays?
    • We already have tickets for the Oogie Boogie Bash at DCA in Oct.
    • If offered, I would hope to attend a Christmas after-hours event just after Thanksgiving??
  • Beyond that ... I/we are backpedaling a bit on our need/want for Disney parks. So ....
    • Either we consider hard-ticket / day-by-day tickets when we feel the need to visit ... or
    • Perhaps I get a lower Key for my mid-week 'needs' to escape the house? I'd be taking an Express Bus from Riverside ... so don't need the parking feature. Or ...
    • Or, we stick with what we learned during 2020: We've outgrown the need for Disney parks. Together, we now enjoy exploring Open Preserve land or other spaces using our OneWheel boards. So .... :confused3
Still thinking this through ... have not yet cancelled the Oct SSR reservation ... but I did create a new WL at the Grand Cal against the SSR reservation. We'll see if it comes through ... that might help nudge us towards a Magic Key decision??

We are thinking of Dream Keys ... but cancelling our SSR reservation starting Oct 1. I think I'd rather refocus our visits back to DLR to make best use of the new pass program.

Hoping for a DVC discount on Magic Keys?? LOL ... and, please, make the path clear before 8/25!!

I am rethinking my first reaction to the Magic Key program.
  • My current thought: Do not buy anything on 8/25.
  • Take a "wait and see" approach ... watching for various hard-ticket events through the holidays?
    • We already have tickets for the Oogie Boogie Bash at DCA in Oct.
    • If offered, I would hope to attend a Christmas after-hours event just after Thanksgiving??
  • Beyond that ... I/we are backpedaling a bit on our need/want for Disney parks. So ....
    • Either we consider hard-ticket / day-by-day tickets when we feel the need to visit ... or
    • Perhaps I get a lower Key for my mid-week 'needs' to escape the house? I'd be taking an Express Bus from Riverside ... so don't need the parking feature. Or ...
    • Or, we stick with what we learned during 2020: We've outgrown the need for Disney parks. Together, we now enjoy exploring Open Preserve land or other spaces using our OneWheel boards. So .... :confused3
Still thinking this through ... have not yet cancelled the Oct SSR reservation ... but I did create a new WL at the Grand Cal against the SSR reservation. We'll see if it comes through ... that might help nudge us towards a Magic Key decision??

Hope your VGC waitlist comes through!

We decided on the Dream Key. A glaring omission was no mention of MaxPass returning as an add-on.

Hi there!

I just found this thread! How good to meet other CA - DVC people! We're in the East Bay up north so we don't get to just drop into DL (wish we could).

1. When did you become a member?
1993 - As soon as DVC was able to sell to CA residents.

2. Did you buy direct or resale?
Direct, I don’t know if anyone was selling their points that early on. We bought it sight unseen, we’d never been to WDW before. Best decision we ever made!

3. Where do you own?
OKW

4. Do you vacation in DLR, WDW, Hilton Head, Vero or Aulani? If so, how often?
We split our trips between DLR for short trips (maybe once or twice a year, depending on what special events might be happening) and WDW for trips of a week or 10 days, but hope to make it to Aulani next year.

5. Are you a DLR AP holder and/or WDW AP holder?
Currently, we have a WDW Gold AP, probably will be buying a DL Believe Magic Key before the year ends.

6. What is your favorite airline when traveling to WDW and why?
For DL we love a little jet service from our local airport (JSX), not cheap, but its SO convenient to drive 10 minutes to the airport 20 minutes before the flight. For WDW we normally fly SW for cheap airfares, but I’m always looking for non-stop flights. Unfortunately, they are very hard to find from our local airport.

7. When is your next trip to WDW?
September 2021 for the DIS Family Reunion!

8. What is your average length of stay when visiting WDW?
7 – 10 days. We are getting better at taking things slow and making time for relaxation.

9. Favorite WDW park?
I flip flop between Epcot and Magic Kingdom.

10. Favorite DVC resort?
For aesthetics I love both the Grand Californian (just got back from staying there) and Boulder Ridge/Copper Creek. But we normally stay at OKW to get the max out of our points.

11. What do you find to be your biggest frustration planning a WDW trip?
Having to book everything pre-crack of dawn!

Hi there!

I just found this thread! How good to meet other CA - DVC people! We're in the East Bay up north so we don't get to just drop into DL (wish we could).

Hello and welcome to the thread!

1. When did you become a member?
1993 - As soon as DVC was able to sell to CA residents.

2. Did you buy direct or resale?
Direct, I don’t know if anyone was selling their points that early on. We bought it sight unseen, we’d never been to WDW before. Best decision we ever made!

3. Where do you own?
OKW

Wow, owner since 1993, that’s amazing! I keep wanting to check out OKW but jsvdng been able to convince my family. It would be a great option for when I‘m trying to save on points and I think they did a great job with the refurb they did a couple years ago

4. Do you vacation in DLR, WDW, Hilton Head, Vero or Aulani? If so, how often?

We split our trips between DLR for short trips (maybe once or twice a year, depending on what special events might be happening) and WDW for trips of a week or 10 days, but hope to make it to Aulani next year.

Hope Aulani works out for you! We were planning in it last year and for obvious reasons postponed to next year as well. I flip flopped between fall, then June but will most likely end up going in September.

5. Are you a DLR AP holder and/or WDW AP holder?
Currently, we have a WDW Gold AP, probably will be buying a DL Believe Magic Key before the year ends.

Oh, that’s great that you’re still an active WDW AP holder! We had passes through October ‘18 but didn’t renew. A window of opportunity to buy a new pass opened up last year and I should’ve jumped on it since I was in the midst of planning our trip for the 50th but foolishly decided to wait. Ah well, they’ll be up for sale soon.😊

6. What is your favorite airline when traveling to WDW and why?
For DL we love a little jet service from our local airport (JSX), not cheap, but its SO convenient to drive 10 minutes to the airport 20 minutes before the flight. For WDW we normally fly SW for cheap airfares, but I’m always looking for non-stop flights. Unfortunately, they are very hard to find from our local airport.

7. When is your next trip to WDW?
September 2021 for the DIS Family Reunion!

Oh wow, how fun! One of these days I need to go to one of their evenTS, I’d love to meet the Dis Team.

8. What is your average length of stay when visiting WDW?
7 – 10 days. We are getting better at taking things slow and making time for relaxation.

9. Favorite WDW park?
I flip flop between Epcot and Magic Kingdom.

10. Favorite DVC resort?
For aesthetics I love both the Grand Californian (just got back from staying there) and Boulder Ridge/Copper Creek. But we normally stay at OKW to get the max out of our points.

Ah, GCV! Love the resort and stayed there last month. Even though we love only 15 minutes away from DLR, we like to stay there once or twice a year.

11. What do you find to be your biggest frustration planning a WDW trip?

Having to book everything pre-crack of dawn!

Same here! We‘re doing a split stay so had to see the pre-crack dawn thing twice!

Attention my Southern California peeps!

Anyone have any recommendations for hotel at or near LAX? Just got an alert from Delta that our flight to MCO is departing earlier at 6:30 a.m. If I’m going to get any sleep, we need to get a hotel.

@Castillo Mom, It has been ages since we've last driven up to LAX ... so I don't have any specific hotel recommendation. Just offering a tip: Try to find one that includes parking for the length of your travel and a shuttle to/from the airport. I'm guessing the nearby airport hotels might still offer this nifty combo-package.

Anyone have any recommendations for hotel at or near LAX? Just got an alert from Delta that our flight to MCO is departing earlier at 6:30 a.m. If I’m going to get any sleep, we need to get a hotel.

Which day are you flying out? We have the same 6:30 AM flight on Delta on 9/24. We will not be getting a hotel. But we have in the past and stayed at the Radisson (not sure what it is now, but you can see it in the background shots as it is right across from the pylons (?)). Or the Crown Plaza which is a little further down the street. I just look for one with a good price. We do not leave our car. I agree with bwvbound if you are driving to find one that offers the parking and shuttle too.

@Castillo Mom, It has been ages since we've last driven up to LAX ... so I don't have any specific hotel recommendation. Just offering a tip: Try to find one that includes parking for the length of your travel and a shuttle to/from the airport. I'm guessing the nearby airport hotels might still offer this nifty combo-package.
I haven't stayed there in many years, but I liked the Embassy Suites as well as the Marriott. If you have a favorite hotel brand, chances are they have a hotel right there. The smaller hotels/motels have some of the smallest rooms I've ever seen.

I did a meeting at the Hilton Los Angeles Airport Hotel and they have an airport shuttle. I don't think they offer extended parking, but you could Lyft to the hotel and save on parking fees.

Which day are you flying out? We have the same 6:30 AM flight on Delta on 9/24. We will not be getting a hotel. But we have in the past and stayed at the Radisson (not sure what it is now, but you can see it in the background shots as it is right across from the pylons (?)). Or the Crown Plaza which is a little further down the street. I just look for one with a good price. We do not leave our car. I agree with bwvbound if you are driving to find one that offers the parking and shuttle too.

Oh wow, we’re flying out the day before you!

Yes, we plan on Ubering to the hotel, whichever one that ends up being.

I haven't stayed there in many years, but I liked the Embassy Suites as well as the Marriott. If you have a favorite hotel brand, chances are they have a hotel right there. The smaller hotels/motels have some of the smallest rooms I've ever seen.

Same here, stayed there back in ‘04 pre-trip because our flight to MCO was delayed due to hurricane Charley.

I did a meeting at the Hilton Los Angeles Airport Hotel and they have an airport shuttle. I don't think they offer extended parking, but you could Lyft to the hotel and save on parking fees.

I‘ve was looking for Marriott or Hilton owned properties within close proximity to the airport and shuttle service and had my heart set on The H. Everything was booked solid so I Googled and found out there’s an expo happening. Still searching.😣

Well, all the buzz is about Disney Genie right now. I think some of us in this group may be in a unique position since many are or were bi-coastal AP holders like us. For now, I'm cautiously optimistic that this will work in our favor. Here are my positive thoughts:

• No more getting up in the dark of night to book FP+
  • We can be a bit more spontaneous as we can schedule rides day-of
  • DAS feature for those that need it - no more having to trek to Guest Relations or the ride to get a return time
  • Ability to see when wait times for certain rides throughout the day which is a feature that requires no additional cost as well as a few other complementary features like joining restaurant walk-up lists
  • If staying on property, which we always do, we get a one hour window before everyone else has access to book premium rides
  • Premium rides are limited to two per day which is very fair and gives everyone a fair shot at booking, not just those who have excess $$$$ and want to ride Remy or Rise 10 times in a single day
  • We're used to paying for MaxPass, so a paid service in WDW is perhaps not as shocking
  • I can still strategize/plan out my day if I opt to do standby and not use the plus feature of Genie
  • It remains to be seen, but it's possible that we might have access to Remy and Rise during evening EMH, not sure on that though but hopefully there would be no need to pay for premium, but YMMV if you have little ones or prefer not the being in the parks late

Those are my initial thoughts. What do you all think?

Well, all the buzz is about Disney Genie right now. I think some of us in this group may be in a unique position since many are or were bi-coastal AP holders like us. For now, I'm cautiously optimistic that this will work in our favor. Here are my positive thoughts:

• DAS feature for those that need it - no more having to trek to Guest Relations or the ride to get a return time
  • Ability to see when wait times for certain rides throughout the day which is a feature that requires no additional cost as well as a few other complementary features like joining restaurant walk-up lists
  • If staying on property, which we always do, we get a one hour window before everyone else has access to book premium rides
  • Premium rides are limited to two per day which is very fair and gives everyone a fair shot at booking, not just those who have excess $$$$ and want to ride Remy or Rise 10 times in a single day
  • We're used to paying for MaxPass, so a paid service in WDW is perhaps not as shocking
  • I can still strategize/plan out my day if I opt to do standby and not use the plus feature of Genie
  • It remains to be seen, but it's possible that we might have access to Remy and Rise during evening EMH, not sure on that though but hopefully there would be no need to pay for premium, but YMMV if you have little ones or prefer not the being in the parks late

I still can't wrap my head around paying for this. It was always included with Premier or unrestricted DL pass.

There's a lot of griping about the "money grab" this represents but it seems to me WD Company may need to strengthen it's financials given the past 18 months and even the current situation of limited capacity and inability to rehire cast members. And, before I get flamed, YES, I firmly acknowledge that execs make too much and general staff makes too little...

I'm ambivalent. I see both sides. We'll be in line to get our new passes on the 25th. I guess the question is, how will we all feel a year from now?

Well said! I'm thrilled that I don't have to try and plan what rides we want to do 6 months out. Now we only have to get up early for dining reservations.

We normally stay for 7+ days so I can see only buying Genie+ on one or two days and going all out to maximize the number of attractions, then spending the rest of the time just using the Genie app to figure out our attraction pattern.

I'm hoping you are right about being able to get on the big attractions during the extra time in the park (either doing rope drop or staying late).

It seems that everyone seems to forget that when Disneyland first opened you had to pay for each attraction separately and the "E" ticket attractions cost more than the "A" tickets (and that was after paying an entrance fee). So it seems like its going back to the old ways. I don't know if I'll pay extra for a single attraction, but it's possible if we haven't been able to get on it during a trip and if we have people with us that don't get to the parks as frequently as we do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter