Cafe Hyperion - Restaurant review

Cyrano

DIS Veteran
This counter service restaurant is located in Discoveryland, beside Videopolis. This is a very large restaurant.
You’ll know you are here by the very large Jules Verne zeppelin at the entrance.
If you don’t want to queue to get tickets for The Lion King Show this is an excellent spot to grab some food and also take in the show.

Link to other restaurant reviews :)

Okay as previously announced we are hoping the boards can help :goodvibes If you have photographs of the restaurant and the food. If you have eaten here and can write a review. Even a couple of lines of what you liked, things to watch out for.. would be appreciated if you posted below :)

We have eaten here many a time and have never been disappointed. The service has always been good and we have been served without too much of a wait.

We always go about 20 minutes before The Lion King show starts so we are just sitting down to eat when the show starts:)

The kids never tire of the show so it keeps them entertained whilst eating.

We usually have Chicken strips and fries which has always been tasty enough.

The place is huge so is rarely full to capacity.

We always eat here at least once a trip usually more. It's an ideal place to take a break & watch the show. We have always been able to see the show with no problems. In fact have never sat in the theatre seats.

Food is ok.

When we 1st went it was Beauty & the Beast & on our last trip LIon King of course. With some in the middle that I've forgotton!

we tend to eat here alot too (i say it like i live near by or something!)
its simple, usually the queues are not too bad, there's plenty of room to sit and once again its brill if u get there just before the lion king. its where ive always sat for the show, cos it gets two things done at once. which is brilliant when ur pushed for time. plus the children will love the animal statues that have been in place since the lion king started!

Grove tradition:- arrive at hotel dump luggage,get a bendy bus to the park,go straight here to eat burger chips and a coke then hit the rides.
we always arrive at 1ish so by the time we get here it is lovely and quiet and we have the same seats each time. The food makes our tummies feel full and away we go :yay: :yay: :cheer2:

We had a snack here once - it was very expensive . A drink and icecream for 5 cost 30 euros. Maybe getting full meals would have been better value for money. It was a nice place for a break although the lion king wasn't on while we were there.

We didn't want to wait in line to get a ticket so we decided that we were going to get our lunch at the Cafe Hyperion and eat during the Lion King show. We arrived approximately 40 minutes before the start of the next show, the french version. Two of us decided to go and find a table in the row behind the reserved seats. We got a nice table and had to wait a long time before the others arrived with our food.

P6060066.jpg

They just made it with a few minutes to spare before the start of the show. We all had the cheeseburger meals. The meals were good.

P6060067.jpg

P6070212.jpg

P6070213.jpg

The view was very good from our seats.

P6060091.jpg

Excellent post Anke. This is just the sort of information that will help make the restaurant review threads of use to the board :goodvibes

we ate here to accompany our home made butties during our stay as the fries 2.50Euros were really nice and hot and you get tomato sauce sachets too. we found it quite quick sevice as there are lots of kiosks to choose from and you can sit outside if the weather is nice like we did. We found it quite empty during our stay and we kept any eye on thelionking queue from the end tables outside plus its near the toilets too.

Are there many seats that allow you to eat and watch the show at the same time ?

We are thinking of doing the same as many have posted above - grab somehting to eat and sit and watch the show .....

Could anyone describe the layout ... how many tables are there that overlook the stage .... howlong before the performance would you recommend we grab a table ... any idea which performances are the busiest ?

Most of the tables in the Hyperion have views of the Lion King stage - some are obscured by pillars though. This restaurant, because of the show, does get really busy - I'd advise getting your food and your table a good half hour - 45 minutes before the show begins. Theres nothing to stop you getting one of your party to go back to the cashier for more drinks etc so you can watch the show and still be using the table.

There are big screen tvs over the restaurant area too, I don't know if they show the stage show while its on too?

Elaine

We popped in here for lunch on Monday 11th May at just after noon, and it was very quiet. 15 minutes after we'd got seated though, the counter service area was mobbed :eek:. There are nicer places to eat, it has to be said, but for a fuel stop, this does the job okay. We both had burger meals, mine was a cheeseburger, DD's was the Mickey-shaped burger. None of it was very hot, but it was edible, and DD liked adding her own salads, sauces etc at the salad cart. For some strange reason, our server added extra ice creams and drinks to our tray :confused3, which I didn't notice until we'd sat down, and by then the queue was too big to take it all back and try to explain. So I got a dessert too :goodvibes.

The adults meal was 9.95 euros, childs meal was 6 euros. The cinema screens on the old Lion King stage were showing old classic Mickey toons while we were there, it was a good accompaniment to our lunch, and as the benches at the stage are still there, this would be a good place to bring your young ones when they (or you ;)) need a break from the park for a while.

We ate here during our week 4-8th may twice. The first time we took our own food in and it was empty (tuesday) and the Friday every till point was open and at least 20 people queueing - it was chaos.

We found a table eventually and then two of us queued 40 minutes for food. We had the large adults meal for E12.95 which included a dessert and large fries and a chicken salad and large drink and the E9.95 9 chicken nugget meal as the children's meal doesn't come with a nugget option.

The cartoons are a great way for the children to relax and we also went into the arcade near the toilets as it was raining and spent 5Euros on 3 tokens for the games. Madelane had a go on the driving game, the winnie the pooh ride and the Air hockey.

Toilets were clean but huge queues in the ladies so OH took her to the gents which seems quite common practice in France.

We ate here on the 6th of August 2009at about 8pm. Me and the kids grabbed a table while DH got the food. It took DH about 10 minutes to get served. Me and DH had a burger,fries, drink and Mickey brioche. The kids had nuggets, fries and a drink. The food was ok but basic fast food. Sorry no pictures but the kids really enjoyed watching the classic cartoons while they ate. Me and DH agreed it was the quietest they had been! We found a table quite easy but it was a little dirty (Good job I had my box of wipes! :rotfl2:):goodvibes

We made the mistake of grabbing fast food in here on Tuesday 15th Feb. It was about 2pm and the food was freezing cold... burgers and chips - yuk!

Drumming was awesome though! :cheer2:

"Fast" is one thing you couldn't call this food.

The bright side, is that while i waited in the line, the kids and hubby watched the show. They would have been a nightmare if they didn't have something to do.

We had half board vouchers, I ordered 2 childrens meals,

They had the Mickey shaped burger, fries, a juice box and packet of apple pieces each.

Doug and I shared a meal, the burger was very nice it was a chicken burger, sorry I can't remember the name. Fries, drink and a packet of mini muffins.

I gave the guy 2 adult vouchers and 1 childs voucher - as that is what I had brought with me (as Seth was under three he didn't have vouchers) The server very nicely paid for the meal with the 2 adult vouchers and returned the childs voucher to me.

The food was ok, - its burger and fries normally quite hard to go wrong really.

If the rest of the counter places take as long as that, I am glad we decided to have a sit down meal for lunch on our other days as they took just about the same amount of time.

Kirsten

We ate here on 1st March using the first of our free meal vouchers. We had 2 burger meals with fries and large drink and my partner had an ice cream with his which would have cost an extra euro but we were not charged for it. DD had small burger meal. Food was ok, though nothing special. It was about 2pm and really busy took about 15 mins to get served. The African Tam Tams were playing and they were great. My 3 year old loved them!! She also loved the old cartoons played on the big screens. We came here a second time for a mid-morning coffee (and a warm!) when it was lovely and quiet and had a nice sit down where the cartoons yet again kept her occupied!

We ate here on the 16th March.

We had originally planned to eat in Pizza Planet, but found it was closed.

We arrived at Cafe Hyperion for an early lunch, around 11.45am, there was no queue and we were quickly served.

We used our lunch dining vouchers, so the meal was free. If we had paid though it would have cost us roughly 30euros.

Myself and Jaime had the set cheeseburger meal, with fries and a coke. (9.95 euros each)

20rmn2e.jpg

The food was served hot and seemed fresh. The burgers are however very small compared to the bun. You think you are getting a big burger, but it's just the bread bun which is big, the burger inside is small and probably half the size of the bun? I think they use the same type of burger for the adult meals aswell as the kids burgers. The burger reminded me of Burger King burgers over here, with that fresh chargrilled taste to them. Overall a good lunch, though a bigger burger would have been appreciated.

The kids had mickey cheeseburger meals, complete with fries, drink and yoghurt. (4.95euros each)

1537fr9.jpg

Again the food was hot and fresh, the kids really liked the Mickey Mouse burgers (and if I am honest so did I! I had seen these on the forums before going to DLP and couldn't wait to see one for real! I love anything that's a novelty!) The kids enjoyed their meal, whilst watching old Disney cartoons on the big tv screens. In fact they enjoyed sitting and watching the cartoons so much it was quite hard to get them to leave at the end of the meal!

There is not much to report on the food here, as it is just typical fast food, but I would definately eat there again and I am sure my kids would want to aswell!

we ate here a couple of times in march using our free vouchers. ashleigh loved the drummers and the mickey mouse cartoons so thats a good way to get her to sit down and eat lol.

the food was fine, a bit expensive for what it was but then again it all is in dlp. at least they have finally gotten rid of the salad bar and put what is supposed to be in the burgers in themselves. we would eat here again.

ate here september 2010, service was woefully slow. food was average at best. Had the menu 1 meal which was a cheeseburger,fries and a large drink for 9.95E. on the plus side, my son loved watching the cartoons on the big screen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter