Buying Direct Question

MickeyMouseCD524

DIS Veteran
We're going to buy a contract direct in the next couple of weeks. We have throughly looked into resale and don't wish to go that route. However was wondering if anyone knows off the top of their head if you can pay your down payment on a credit card. We have the cash readily available for it but we wanted to get a couple of extra points on our card. I know when we had to go look at Hilton's timeshare they offered to put down payments on their branded amex so was curious if Disney does the same.

Here is what we did. I opened a new Disney Visa signature account. At the time they offered 200.00 statement credit and 2% Disney rewards on purchases. On top of that there is the 6mo interest free. All said and done it brought the cost of our small contract down by about 6.00 per point. That includes the interest I earn on the cash during the 6mo interest free period.

I believe you get 6 months from purchasing DVC with the Disney Visa all the time, not just when getting the card. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes, it is 6 months interest free with a Disney Visa or a Disney Signature Visa. Does not have to be a new account. We had a Disney Visa already but opened a Signature Visa account to take advantage of the statement credit. Hey if you offer me free money I am going to take it. There is a minimum monthly payment of I believe 10% of the balance but no interest on the DVC purchase.

Yes, it is 6 months interest free with a Disney Visa or a Disney Signature Visa. Does not have to be a new account. We had a Disney Visa already but opened a Signature Visa account to take advantage of the statement credit. Hey if you offer me free money I am going to take it. There is a minimum monthly payment of I believe 10% of the balance but no interest on the DVC purchase.
Oh then maybe we'll put it all on our Disney CC. We already got the sign up bonus when paying for the trip we took last week, but I'll crunch the numbers and see where we would maximize our points be it on Disney or one of our Chase cards.

You can also put the down payment on your credit card and have them breakup the balance over the next few months so you can theoretically put the whole thing on your card without exceeding your credit limit. And maximize your points

When I added on points while on the Fantasy, I put the entire thing on my Chase Disney Visa. It was a huge hit to the Visa, but after I paid it off, they doubled my credit limit in response.

Last edited:
we're thinking about buying direct. I know they're pushing Riviera right now. but what about the other resorts? are all resorts available to buy into direct, or are only certain ones available at different times? if so, is there a source where we can see all the current prices per point? thank you!

This site doesn’t allow linking sometimes. So...

AKV: $176
AUL: $188
BLT: $225
BCV: $225
BWV: $190
VGC: $260
VGF: $245
OKW: $155
PBV: $235
SSR: $160
BRV: $176
CCV: $210
RR: $188

This site doesn’t allow linking sometimes. So...

AKV: $176
AUL: $188
BLT: $225
BCV: $225
BWV: $190
VGC: $260
VGF: $245
OKW: $155
PBV: $235
SSR: $160
BRV: $176
CCV: $210
RR: $188
thank you very much yinn!!

We're going to buy a contract direct in the next couple of weeks. We have throughly looked into resale and don't wish to go that route. However was wondering if anyone knows off the top of their head if you can pay your down payment on a credit card. We have the cash readily available for it but we wanted to get a couple of extra points on our card. I know when we had to go look at Hilton's timeshare they offered to put down payments on their branded amex so was curious if Disney does the same.

The Branded CC is unnecessary. We just purchased 30 pts with a AMEX Blue.

The Disney Visa does give you 6 months at 0% interest.

Normally, promotional 0% interest time frames will backdate interest to the purchase date and will charge ALL the interest once the promotional time is up. I'm looking in the card member agreement and it states "After the 6 month promotional period, the applicable APR for purchases, as stated in the Rates and Fees Table, will take effect on any remaining Disney vacation package and/or Disney Vacation Club balance."

Am I reading this correctly that if I put, say, $14,100 on my card and I have $5,000 left at the end of the promotional period, the APR would only be charged on the $5,000 going forward?

The Disney Visa does give you 6 months at 0% interest.

Normally, promotional 0% interest time frames will backdate interest to the purchase date and will charge ALL the interest once the promotional time is up. I'm looking in the card member agreement and it states "After the 6 month promotional period, the applicable APR for purchases, as stated in the Rates and Fees Table, will take effect on any remaining Disney vacation package and/or Disney Vacation Club balance."

Am I reading this correctly that if I put, say, $14,100 on my card and I have $5,000 left at the end of the promotional period, the APR would only be charged on the $5,000 going forward?

That’s what it sounds like. But if that’s your plan, why not put it on another credit card?

There’s cards right now from BoA and Wells that gives 0% for one year plus $200 cash back upon spending $500/$1000. And then if you still have a $5,000 balance, a balance transfer intro card typically allows another year at 0% but racks on a 3-5% fee on the balanced transfer; which amounts to $150-$250 (paid for from your first promo) That’s essentially 2 years of financing for no interest.

For the record, I don’t really support carrying credit card debt. But if you’re going to do it, there’s ways to reduce the burden.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter