Buying direct question.

ericar

Mouseketeer
Hi
If I buy 75 points direct, do I have to wait for the right contract to become available or can Disney break up a bigger contract into smaller point values to sell me? I know 75 points would be harder to find resale and I would want to buy direct to get the perks.

If you are buying from the "latest" resort, then they should have the points with the use year you want with no wait. If you are buying points and want your home resort to be something different (say Beach Club Villas) -- then if they have the 75 points with the use year you want, there is no wait. If they don't have the number of points available for the use year you want -- then you wait.

Hi
If I buy 75 points direct, do I have to wait for the right contract to become available or can Disney break up a bigger contract into smaller point values to sell me? I know 75 points would be harder to find resale and I would want to buy direct to get the perks.

I was about to answer this, and then realized I didn't completely understand what happens when DVC gets a contract back.

My understanding is that when DVC buys back a contract via ROFR, the contract ceases to exist, and the points go back into DVC's pool of unsold points for that resort. So you wouldn't' be waiting for a 75-point contract to become available, you'd be waiting for DVC to have at least 75 points for that resort in their inventory.

The part I don't understand is how they manage use year. Do ROFR'd points retain their original use year when they go back into DVC's inventory or do they reassign points to different use years as needed?

I was about to answer this, and then realized I didn't completely understand what happens when DVC gets a contract back.

My understanding is that when DVC buys back a contract via ROFR, the contract ceases to exist, and the points go back into DVC's pool of unsold points for that resort. So you wouldn't' be waiting for a 75-point contract to become available, you'd be waiting for DVC to have at least 75 points for that resort in their inventory.

The part I don't understand is how they manage use year. Do ROFR'd points retain their original use year when they go back into DVC's inventory or do they reassign points to different use years as needed?
My understanding is the points retain their original use year, which is why when you contact them they have points for some use years and others you have to go on a waiting list.

My understanding is the points retain their original use year, which is why when you contact them they have points for some use years and others you have to go on a waiting list.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

This is what I understand as well. If I remember correctly, Mickey owns 2% of all resorts plus whatever his ROFR contract buy back volume is. This makes the mouse the largest shareholder (and dues payer) at every single resort. If anything, it sort of makes it so they don’t want dues to go up too much either because it hits their bottom line.

When I was on a recent cruise with DCL, the DVC rep there pretty clearly told me at certain times reps are encouraged to sell off the ROFR points they have bought back once contracts become whole (ie they actually have points again that are usable for that year) because they don’t want to be paying the dues on them. I do believe that once they have the points back they can break them up into smaller contracts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter