But The Food Though

The scrambled eggs are revolting. I think they are from powder. If I want eggs in cabanas, I order them fresh from the omelette station.
They have an odd texture. It's almost like they use heavy cream instead of milk. I find that they are okay if I mix them with the grilled veggies that are often on the buffet. Otherwise I don't bother.

The Fantasy does churro waffles some days. Those are pretty awesome.

To our family the Wish had by far the best tasting food out of all the ships. I'm wondering if it is because
it is new and expensive. Fantasy is mostly good. The Magic average. The Wonder though....sigh..is the
only one in my opinion that is a real hit or miss.

To tell you the truth I watch lot of videos of other lines and go to general cruise forums. Most every one
is complaining about the downgrade of food. The only line I continue to see positivity is Silver Seas.

My inlaws are heavy cruisers and in the last 4 months were on Celebrity Holland Ncl and Royal. Came
home complaining about the food on each one.

Last edited:

Yeah, that's pretty much any change, be it rides, parades, etc. Disney makes a change and it divides the fanbase. Except for the Pirate Night menu. Pretty sure no one will shed a tear if it ever goes away.
To each their own, I guess. Our favorite MDR item on any menu/any ship is on the pirate menu - the Braised Barbecue Beef Rib Salad. I suspect a lot of people miss it because it’s “hidden” under Lighter Note Offerings, but it is absolutely amazing.

I've sailed DCL since 2015. On our very first cruise on the Magic, I thought the food was uninspiring. I've always found the MDR food on the Dream class to be a bit better than on the Magic class.

I cruised for the first time since the restart in October 2021. The chicken tenders on the pool deck (one of my regular favorites) were of a different type than usual and not as good, possibly because the ship had recently arrived from Europe. MDR was the same as always (hotel banquet quality, and no problems). Palo dinner was as good as always.

My most recent cruise was on the Dream last month. The MDR was disappointing, with food preparation being the same quality as always, but the service was so slow that the food was sub-par due to not being as warm as it should. Palo dinner and Remy dinner were the same quality as always. Room service was the same quality as always.

I could be wrong but I think what the medical center (guest services?) provides is actually the meclizine-based product, brand name Bonine (but there are generics).

I will also say that my seasickness is always a tad bit worse when dining in the aft MDRs on night 1, there's something about being close to the aft thrusters that makes me feel off.
I would take Bonine and wear seabands and I'd still feel nauseous at dinner time. On our last 2 cruises I still took Bonine, but I also would suck on some ginger candy several times each day, especially right before meals. We had one day of sailing through really rough seas. I took ginger candy every couple of hours and I was fine. My dd kept asking me if I was OK because normally I would have been in the cabin bathroom swearing to never cruise again, 😆. Give ginger candy a try. I like the hard candy better than the chews. Something about having a hard candy to suck on for a longer time helps.

I would take Bonine and wear seabands and I'd still feel nauseous at dinner time. On our last 2 cruises I still took Bonine, but I also would suck on some ginger candy several times each day, especially right before meals. We had one day of sailing through really rough seas. I took ginger candy every couple of hours and I was fine. My dd kept asking me if I was OK because normally I would have been in the cabin bathroom swearing to never cruise again, 😆. Give ginger candy a try. I like the hard candy better than the chews. Something about having a hard candy to suck on for a longer time helps.
Good suggestion to buy the ginger candy! Did you find it affected your taste buds while eating? I already bought ginger chews to prepare for my first cruise ever in a few months. My friend and I have loaded up on Bonine, Dramamine, Sea Bands and patches!
I have no idea if I am prone to sea sickness but I am preparing.

I have a pretty positive experience with DCL food that is 100% influenced by how well they accommodate my food allergy, as well as my spouse's life-threatening food allergy. We feel very cared-for, and I feel delighted when I have a choice that goes beyond a salad.

Another cruise line we have sailed had arguably higher quality, more interesting food options. They accommodated my allergy well but my husband had a major incident. So, that influences our experience and opinion. Non-allergy people would be like, "This is way better!" but we have that allergy experience asterisk on that statement.

Agree with earlier comment on desserts. I feel like 10-15 years back all of the lines switched to where a majority of the non-ice cream desserts are gelatinous versus made with the basic baking materials. Most cakes are no longer cakes. I am a chocaholic and avoid chocolate desserts on pretty much all cruise lines now because of this. I've reached the age where I'd rather my calories be spent on desserts I like at my home.

Food quality has been trending down to me since we started cruising due to cost cutting by executives trying to make shareholder targets. Heck our first cruise with Royal Caribbean you could have filet mignon every night with no upcharge. Lobster night was the largest tail I have had in my life. Dessert night was incredible back then with everything freshly made and no gelatin added.

COVID accelerated this downward trend from my view, as much of the staffing is (was at this point?) new. Last July we sailed Royal Caribbean, and I paid for the restaurant package and even there they struggled. Chop's Grille, their signature steak place, didn't cook anyone's steak to the proper temperature and the sides were inedible. We sailed Carnival in November and it was better in the dining room but they definitely had some non-edible meals (Thanksgiving dinner being one - cut some slack as likely not a normal menu). My wife is normally super positive and not picky said she was unhappy with the dining room fare. On Carnival the quick places (Guy's burgers, the burrito place, the buffet) were better than the dining room. The saving grace was the wait staff was super engaging. Disney in December on the Magic was the best of the three cruises main dining room wise but was it because it was the furthest removed from re-staffing post COVID? We also sailed concierge on the Magic and were at a primo table with a very experienced waitress.

One notable thing on the Disney Magic trip was my wife stated that she no longer felt there was value in the Palo Brunch, that the food was no longer exceptional for the upcharge. We've booked a Disney cruise for early 2024 and will not be scheduling Palo.

I've learned to stop eating if not good and if the wait staff gets "excited" (best word I could think of) and wants to get me something else I politely decline as typically just adds to the time of the restaurant and would rather be playing in the pool with my kids or going to a show. Plus goes back to the calorie thing above.

I really wish the cost cutting bean counters would sail on the cruises and experience the current fare. I'm guessing if they do or did they likely get the best cuts of meat and most properly cooked / seasoned meals so may still come away without experiencing the decline. I know when the Captain and officers showed up in the Italian restaurant on Royal Caribbean in July, the food and service (though not horrible before) NOTICEABLY (capital for emphasis) improved. Waiters were on the A-game refilling glasses, taking away dirty dishes, and the food was the tastiest we had had; which is a sad commentary.

Last edited:
I really wish the cost cutting bean counters would sail on the cruises and experience the current fare.
Actually on this note I was on a cruise with Josh D’Amaro on the Wish this past year. He probably sailed concierge and ate Palo but he was in Marceline at least once eating buffet food like the rest of us, and I was kind of glad to know at least he was there and experiencing the new cruise ship first hand. At the very least, if he used the elevators at all I would hope he’d know they need to get rid of those silly button sensors on the Treasure!

Agree with earlier comment on desserts. I feel like 10-15 years back all of the lines switched to where a majority of the non-ice cream desserts are gelatinous versus made with the basic baking materials. Most cakes are no longer cakes. I am a chocaholic and avoid chocolate desserts on pretty much all cruise lines now because of this. I've reached the age where I'd rather my calories be spent on desserts I like at my home.
I've only been sailing DCL for the past 7 years, and I agree, their MDR desserts leave a lot to be desired. What I wouldn't give for a real piece of chocolate cake to be served. Come to think of it, though, it's even hard to find a slice of real chocolate cake at land-based restaurants or bakery counters, unless you buy a whole cake.
One notable thing on the Disney Magic trip was my wife stated that she no longer felt there was value in the Palo Brunch, that the food was no longer exceptional for the upcharge. We've booked a Disney cruise for early 2024 and will not be scheduling Palo.
Palo dinner is the same as it's always been, same quality food. I've been on three different ships since reopening. You might want to try it some time, and have the chocolate souffle dessert, which is excellent.

I took a cruise on the Dream last February and had a fantastic brunch at Palo. I took at cruise on the Magic in October/November and the brunch at Palo was... OK? I figured that maybe Magic Palo just isn't as good as Dream Palo.

Our original server never came to our table, so they eventually gave us a different server after making us wait a while. Then, we were told that it's better to order everything that we might want at the beginning so that they could better plan, which was certainly now how we'd ever done it before. Then, the food just wasn't as good.

I'm skipping brunch on the Wonder this summer.

Palo dinner is the same as it's always been, same quality food. I've been on three different ships since reopening. You might want to try it some time, and have the chocolate souffle dessert, which is excellent.
Well quality may be the same but value took a big hit with the new pricing model. Used to be you were encouraged to try lots of things—extra appetizers and pasta, a pizza to share etc., and it was included in the price. That was part of the fun of cruise dining. Now you have to pay a la carte or do the prix fixe with no deviation. I just did the math for fun of what it would cost if DH and I ordered what we want to try—one appetizer or salad each, a pasta to share, a pizza to share, one entree, one side and and one dessert each—and the price came to $70 per person. Which would actually be a decent value for the same meal at a restaurant on land, but when you have already paid for meals with your cruise fare and can order anything you want on the MDR menu, it’s a big increase compared to the unrestricted $40 meal it used to be. If I added the antipasto platter (used to be included) it would be $81 per person.

Well quality may be the same but value took a big hit with the new pricing model. Used to be you were encouraged to try lots of things—extra appetizers and pasta, a pizza to share etc., and it was included in the price. That was part of the fun of cruise dining.
To each his own. Not everyone goes to Palo to eat a bunch of dishes at once. I just enjoy the quality of the meal, instead, and the ambiance.

For me it often costs less because a la carte is cheaper based on what I choose to get (usually steak, a light side, and dessert). If I also eat an app, I won't be hungry for dessert, and dessert is my favorite part of dinner at Palo.

Last edited:
To each his own. Not everyone goes to Palo to eat a bunch of dishes at once. I just enjoy the quality of the meal, instead, and the ambiance.

For me it often costs less because a la carte is cheaper based on what I choose to get (usually steak, a light side, and dessert). If I also eat an app, I won't be hungry for dessert, and dessert is my favorite part of dinner at Palo.
The least expensive steak (6oz) is $25. Sides are $4. Dessert is $8-$10. So you are saving between $1 to $3 off the previous $40 price at best.

The least expensive steak (6oz) is $25. Sides are $4. Dessert is $8-$10. So you are saving between $1 to $3 off the previous $40 price at best.
Which is less, and in no way represents "value taking a big hit". To each his own, as I said. You like having lots of different dishes at once, so it lost value for you. It lost no value for me, and I actually save a little.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter