Bringing your own stroller, worry about theft?

krose4

Thanking the Phoenicians
I'm new to the bringing a child to Disney thing as we just had our first child, and we have a short weekend getaway planned for when she is about 6 months old.

We have an uppababy vista stroller, which I absolutely adore because it's so comfortable, easy to maneuver and has good storage underneath. I don't really want to rent a stroller as that seems like a huge hassle and money we don't need to spend, especially because when I did some googling the vista is ranked the best stroller to bring to Disney on multiple sites.

I just worry because it was a gift from my parents and is something I really would hate to have stolen while we're in the parks. What do you guys think? Is it a huge risk to have an $800+ stroller in the parks, or is it generally okay?

I brought my uppa baby vista and then when we had a second our city elite double. Never an issue. Does stroller theft happen yes of course. Is it all that common - no not really. They make stroller locks if you are really worried. We had one out first trip with a stroller and stopped using it after the first day. You can’t lock it to anything but you can lock the wheels together so it’s more difficult to move.
I don’t regret bringing our own stroller. Our daughter was comfortable and actually napped and with 30 seconds of planning it was easy to get on and off the buses

I think theft of items from your stroller (bags, coats) is far more common than theft of the actual stroller. Not sure I'd take one worth $800, but you are probably safe. I didn't have any issues on my 2 stroller trips.

I'm new to the bringing a child to Disney thing as we just had our first child, and we have a short weekend getaway planned for when she is about 6 months old.

We have an uppababy vista stroller, which I absolutely adore because it's so comfortable, easy to maneuver and has good storage underneath. I don't really want to rent a stroller as that seems like a huge hassle and money we don't need to spend, especially because when I did some googling the vista is ranked the best stroller to bring to Disney on multiple sites.

I just worry because it was a gift from my parents and is something I really would hate to have stolen while we're in the parks. What do you guys think? Is it a huge risk to have an $800+ stroller in the parks, or is it generally okay?
I wouldn't risk it.

Are you willing to risk an $800 stroller? Most people don't have a problem because they have more run of the mill strollers.

There was literally a video a few months back of someone getting busted at DL doing just this. Cherry picking the designer strollers and leaving the park with them. That said we take our $700 City Elite Double and dont worry about it. BUT UppaBabys are much more trendy. Still I wouldn't worry too much about it. Chances are slim.

No, I wouldn't. I took our umbrella stroller the first trip and have rented Citi Mini GTs every trip since then. The rentals come with theft insurance, and I think they're less enticing just because they're rentals and clearly marked with names, etc.

We take our stroller. Granted, it's half the price of the UppaBaby. I see plenty of UppaBaby's at the parks.

I do sometimes worry about theft but think it's pretty uncommon.

Its pretty uncommon. Maybe put a tracker on it? Like a tile? I may do that anyway. 99% of the time, CMs reorganize the strollers and it takes a while to find them which can cause mass hysteria, especially if you have an expensive stroller. We have gone 7 times since 2012. 3x with an uppababy vista before switching to a double. Honestly, ive never seen a single instance of stroller theft in disney- they work too hard to keep everyone in the disney bubble for it to get marred by something like that.

Does it happen? Sure. Is it frequent? Nope.

I guess it all depends on what level of risk you're comfortable with.

I honestly bought an orange stroller so it would stick out in a sea of black strollers. I was always more concerned about someone accidentally grabbing the WRONG stroller.

I think theft of items from your stroller (bags, coats) is far more common than theft of the actual stroller. Not sure I'd take one worth $800, but you are probably safe. I didn't have any issues on my 2 stroller trips.

We brought a stroller lock, which I'm pretty sure was just a bike lock with an upcharge, and it worked well and didn't take too much time to lock/unlock. To the point above, we did have a nice jacket grabbed out of our stroller while on Spaceship Earth, so I won't leave things in the basket of the stroller again.

Our good friend had their BOB stroller stolen which had their baby bag and gifts. That made me start using my snowboard lock on the rear wheels. Unfortunately someone stole our park bag and sweaters last winter when we were at the park. We were on the carousel when it happened. Fortunately Disney gave us free sweaters since it was going to be cold that evening. From now on I will either be bringing the bad with us or run the cable lock through the bag straps.

For me, the bigger factor that keeps my vista at home is intense wear and tear. Sticky treats (for the kids and adults!), intense florida weather, and tons of walking mean wearing out everything on the stroller faster. For us, there's the added cost of international flights with a stroller. Too many possibilities of breaking or damaging something through excessive wear.

For our first family visit we rented a stroller from an outside company. We got the extra insurance, so we weren't at all concerned about theft, damage, or anything else. Totally worth the rental fee for me.

The only thing that was an adjustment was the under-stroller storage. You'll read that the City Mini GT stroller has tons of storage...but the people who say that definitely aren't used to the vistas basket! But as nice as that basket is at home, I'm kind of grateful we didn't need to unpack it any time we caught a disney bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter