BREAKING: Walt Disney World Introduces Date-Based Variable Pricing for Genie+ Service

Cedar Point sells out of Fast Lane passes at something like $200 each so.... a lot. People will pay a lot. I'll pay even more if they would kindly just go back to letting me book in advance.
The challenge for me (and I'm guessing others) is that when I go to an amusement park it's for 1 day a year. When we go to Disney it's for much longer so it's not comparing apples to apples for us.

The challenge for me (and I'm guessing others) is that when I go to an amusement park it's for 1 day a year. When we go to Disney it's for much longer so it's not comparing apples to apples for us.
Fair point. Cedar Point is an extended three or four day weekend trip for us (not local) - but we live very close to a Six Flags where I would can't imagine paying that similar price for a one day thing. And honestly, we have not been to Six Flags in many, many years because I don't want to pay hundreds extra but also don't want to wait standby.

I disagree. Yes you visit Disney for longer then you do other parks. When most people go to other parks they don't necessarily buy a skip the line pass. That's the way it should be at Disney too. The issue is most are so used to needing FP to enjoy the parks that Genie+ feels like it's needed.

I know I always hear people say they don't want to wait 2 hours for an attraction. My question is how do you manage at other parks? Many top rides at other parks have long waits too.

Fair point. Cedar Point is an extended three or four day weekend trip for us (not local) - but we live very close to a Six Flags where I would can't imagine paying that similar price for a one day thing. And honestly, we have not been to Six Flags in many, many years because I don't want to pay hundreds extra but also don't want to wait standby.
My home park is the most attended regional park in North America. We go multiple times a summer and not once we buy Fastlane. Yes some rides can have waits of 2-3 hours. Yes we do wait in those lines.

I would be all for it. Less people using Genie+ the better it works. Return times wouldn't jump so quickly like they do now. You would get more rides then you do now.
When you say "you," you mean someone who can afford it. It never ceases to amaze me how many posters on the DIS seem to have an unlimited supply of vacation money. I wish I did!

When you say "you," you mean someone who can afford it. It never ceases to amaze me how many posters on the DIS seem to have an unlimited supply of vacation money. I wish I did!

Yup, this lack of others' perspective on money seems to creep up anytime a price increase is talked about. There's a lot of "fine by me, less peons to clog up the line" attitude. It's great that some are so wealthy, but Disney wasn't supposed to be the playground of only the rich. The reality is it's going to happen whether we protest or not- Chapek is in charge and he's clearly voiced his disgust for the unwashed masses treating his parks like a playground.

Yes but they also limit availability. While it costs a lot it does sell out. IMO it's what they need to do with Genie+.
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Disney say earlier this summer that Genie+ may be limited on some days? The language used I believe was ‘Subject to Availability’. I know that we have yet to see this actually happen, but we haven't had peak holiday times yet since its announcement.

Yup, this lack of others' perspective on money seems to creep up anytime a price increase is talked about. There's a lot of "fine by me, less peons to clog up the line" attitude. It's great that some are so wealthy, but Disney wasn't supposed to be the playground of only the rich. The reality is it's going to happen whether we protest or not- Chapek is in charge and he's clearly voiced his disgust for the unwashed masses treating his parks like a playground.
I am not a fan of Chapek, but the price changes and removal of perks started before he was the CEO.

Also, I am not a fan of price increases, but they are using that as a way of profit and to limit access. the parks are too crowded.
I am not saying this is the right answer. Just pointing out the facts. The demand for WDW is way higher than the supply. Add that Covid shortages, then we have the perfect scenario for a crap show.

Like others mentioned, we won't add more to our budget to include this. We may shift money around but the amount dedicated to vacation stays the same.

For people like us, it has resulted in Disney getting less of our dollars. We were consistently on-site people but all the increases in cost, with a decrease in value, have made our last two trips and our upcoming trip, at offsite hotels or rentals.

We didn't use genie+ at all on our trip last March. For this upcoming trip, we had considered using it for a day or two but with a large family an increase of a few dollars per ticket adds up quickly. If we do add it, we'll ditch an on-site meal and eat off-site... which again, keeps our budget the same but fewer dollars end up going to Disney. Based on the continued increases though, how we manage the price increases must not be how the majority of guests do...

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Disney say earlier this summer that Genie+ may be limited on some days? The language used I believe was ‘Subject to Availability’. I know that we have yet to see this actually happen, but we haven't had peak holiday times yet since its announcement.

you are correct, but genie plus has never sell out. I think that is more legal verbiage than anything in case they have to shut it down for hurricanes, etc...

Can’t say I am surprised they raised the price. With that said, there is no way that they are finished raising the price for it. With that said, if they do go up to Universal’s price, they will also need to go to a system that guarantees rides, and I am not sure they would do that, as what would a VIP tour be for then. I think it would probably top out at the $50 mark for the current system, and even then I’m not sure I would personally buy it at that price.

Most of the non 'tech-savy' generation is gone, some are in long term homes, and only a small number are still vacationing. This wont be an issue much longer.
We're not in a *home* yet, jeez give us a break! Not everyone cares about having a phone stuck in their face 24/7...AND we don't intend to kick the bucket soon, so don't hold your breath LOL!
:surfweb:

I don't have an unlimited supply of vacation money. When I go to other parks I don't buy their skip the line passes all the time either. Like I posted in another thread, I think many have the mindset you need Genie+ to enjoy the parks.

My home park is the most attended regional park in North America. We go multiple times a summer and not once we buy Fastlane. Yes some rides can have waits of 2-3 hours. Yes we do wait in those lines.
IMO there is not a single theme park ride on earth that I would wait 2-3 hours for. I did it for Gringotts at USO and I will never do it again lol I never buy the paid skip the line service at regional parks but I do at Universal but at Universal I don't buy any of the merchandise and snacks.

I think Six Flags is probably one day, my local park that as well because well I live here. We did Silver Dollar City in 2 days moreso because that place is rides and shows and demonstrations so we saved the second day for when we didn't have the skip the line pass for those shows and demonstrations as well as we were driving back home (a bit over 3 hour drive) that evening. We only paid for 1 day of their skip the line. Many regional parks do really good deals for 2 or more days to help get people in there. Universal may not on average be the same days as Disney but people often spend 2-3 days there. 1 day would be hard to do both parks and get on rides even with Express Pass you'd have to get lucky on a crowd day to get it all in.

People already choose not to purchase Genie+ for certain parks like not every visitor gets Genie+ every day they are there or for every park. I believe Epcot and AK are views as not worth it for Genie+ IIRC (someone may correct me, the point being there are parks that aren't as useful for it). And someone could do that for Universal as well. We did that. We had 3 days park to park but 1 of our park days was without EP. We got EP by staying 1 night at Royal Pacific so had 2 days of EP. If we had to purchase EP outright we would not have purchased 3 days worth and I don't think many people do that some def. do but it's not a more utilized way of doing EP for multiple days (getting it through the hotels is). I think people tend to only purchase 1 or 2 days worth even if they go longer. If Genie+ was priced very high I think people would do the same as they do now and probably save it for MK or DHS. I don't think that's entirely different from what people do elsewhere

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter