breakfast/lunch Crowds peak season

mousefan73

Germans are faster at dubbing
We have always had the luck to sail during off times, when boats are not at 100% capacity. We recently sailed another line and on sea days the breakfast buffet was a nightmare.. Literally walking 30 minutes to get a table, which has dirty plates from the others and were not removed in time. I have never had this on DCL. either by embarkation lunch or on sea days breakfast.. or was I lucky? I am curious if during spring break, holidays the ships are so full you cant get a spot to eat either. I get how a lounger at the pool will be a challenge but also dining?

We have always had the luck to sail during off times, when boats are not at 100% capacity.

My experience -- except post covid -- that all lines sail near (or exceed) 100% capacity all year long. (Usually by last minute price drops to fill rooms.)

Is Disney different? Are there actual times of the year that the ships can be expected to be noticeably less than 100% capacity? If so, when?

I was on a full ship back on april. It was crowded at times but we really didn't have much trouble finding places at all. Maybe 5 min max for a Cabana's table. We found the perfect funnelvision spot midday.

As for dining, the buffet should have outside seating (you'd be surprised how few go for it) and you will usually have an MDR option (which can be less crowded because everyone goes to the buffet).

My experience -- except post covid -- that all lines sail near (or exceed) 100% capacity all year long. (Usually by last minute price drops to fill rooms.)

Is Disney different? Are there actual times of the year that the ships can be expected to be noticeably less than 100% capacity? If so, when?

My data point is a decade old, but peak hurricane season used to not be as many people. Not sure if it's different now...but that late September sailing was perfect. Awesome weather, not a ton of people. On our sea day, I'm pretty sure my husband rode the aquaduck 3 or 4 times in an hour before the wait got too long for him.

Cabanas isnt that bad, typically finding a place isnt that bad. Marceline Market is a different beast. Everything feels much more narrow and there are a little spaces tucked away, it was very hard to find a table there for our group of 5 inside.

My data point is a decade old, but peak hurricane season used to not be as many people. Not sure if it's different now...but that late September sailing was perfect. Awesome weather, not a ton of people. On our sea day, I'm pretty sure my husband rode the aquaduck 3 or 4 times in an hour before the wait got too long for him.
the 3 day cruises are nearly always at capacity, 5+ day sailings with less people can be found often in off season.

I think capacity is probably a little different on disney anyway, they're more child-loaded so it just feels different than a rcl or ncl that would appeal to more child-free couples occupying a room.

Pre-covid we sailed where ships were not at 100%.. Sept/Oct.. or when we got good GT rates. so ships were not always 100% full.

but good to hear that on DCL this doesnt seem to be an issue..

I rarely go to cabanas because I’m not fond of buffets. But if I do I’ll grab a plate, sone fruit, maybe a pastry and head to the outside pool deck for a table after getting a latte at the cove. But there always seem to be tables outside on the back deck. We only do longer cruises of 7 days or more and those don’t seem that crowded.

We sailed the end of Feb. this year and there were a couple days we couldn't find a table. It took a bit of patience. Now, having said that, we were a group of 7 and often wanted to sit together or at least close. It can be tricky.

sailed on DCL in 2008...decided cruising was not for us.

sailed on RCL in 2018....decided nobody does it like Disney

4 DCL trips later, we are glad we cruise Disney

never a "line" for cocktail, food is much better, service is way better, ship is way cleaner.

Yes Disney is often 2-3x more expensive, but the value you get back is noticeable in so many ways.

We usually do longer sailings, so not as many people, in general, but we've never had issues. We usually sit outside at the back of cabanas. There's been a handful of times, when it's raining or something, that everyone moves inside and it's harder to get a spot, but in my experience, if a CM sees you struggling to find something, they'll try to help. Even on port days when everyone is scrambling for breakfast to leave at the same time we usually find somewhere to sit, even if it may not be our first choice.

And sometimes people get mad for "skipping" or "cutting" in line, but the CM's tell you to do so. No use waiting for someone to go through the entire line if all you want is one muffin at the very end!!

In general, I've never had an issue getting a table at Cabanas/Market for breakfast or lunch or the MDR for breakfast. I will say, we usually go pretty early though, so that might contribute.

Also, we were on the Fantasy 9 night last summer and that was a crowded mess, but the only place we had issues were at quick service. Those tables seemed to be occupied all day long!

Never had issues on DCL or Celebrity finding a table at the buffet. Sometimes you have to walk around a bit.

We have always had the luck to sail during off times, when boats are not at 100% capacity. We recently sailed another line and on sea days the breakfast buffet was a nightmare.. Literally walking 30 minutes to get a table, which has dirty plates from the others and were not removed in time. I have never had this on DCL. either by embarkation lunch or on sea days breakfast.. or was I lucky? I am curious if during spring break, holidays the ships are so full you cant get a spot to eat either. I get how a lounger at the pool will be a challenge but also dining?
If you don't want to battle the buffet, room service is included on DCL. We are a party of two and for us, we found it easier to find a table FIRST and then take turns getting our food. That way, we weren't wandering with full plates looking for a spot. Generally I hate doing this, but it was almost a must during busy times at Marceline Market.

DH and I are early risers, and are always at Cabanas when they first open - really we would like if they would open an hour or two earlier! We would usually sit outside by choice with our food and coffee. No problem with crowds whatsoever. After we ate, we would make plates for our kids and bring them back to the room, so they could have them when they eventually woke up (much later than us). It was still not crowded at the times we were getting things for our kids. We noticed lines get REALLY long for breakfast at Cabanas later in the mornings though - especially on port days where people were wanting to eat in a hurry and get off the ship. So long that the line of people was going up and down the stairs and out to the pool deck. It never seemed too bad for lunch. Busy, but not where you would have a big wait for anything.

The Cast Members are very prompt in clearing tables. In May, in the Magic, staffing in Cabanas seemed back to normal. (I have seen the dirty dishes on other cruise lines).

Cabanas on both my MDAS sailing last Jan/Feb was horrible in finding a table. I'm a solo traveller and people would send one familymember to hold a table.. meaning when I was walking around with a full plate I always had issues finding a spot, half the tables with actual people eating and half the tables with people holding a spot. (I often have that issue at counter servies in the park too, I wish they wouldnt allow table holding if you don't have food yet)

DH and I are early risers, and are always at Cabanas when they first open - really we would like if they would open an hour or two earlier! We would usually sit outside by choice with our food and coffee. No problem with crowds whatsoever. After we ate, we would make plates for our kids and bring them back to the room, so they could have them when they eventually woke up (much later than us). It was still not crowded at the times we were getting things for our kids. We noticed lines get REALLY long for breakfast at Cabanas later in the mornings though - especially on port days where people were wanting to eat in a hurry and get off the ship. So long that the line of people was going up and down the stairs and out to the pool deck. It never seemed too bad for lunch. Busy, but not where you would have a big wait for anything.
First DCL cruise coming up on the Dream... can you share what time Cabanas opens and what time you noticed the lines reallllllly getting long? I want to avoid buffet craziness like the plague.

We like to eat at whatever MDR has sit down breakfast and lunch instead of Cabanas. First buffets gross me out. by eating at the MDR we always have a table, don’t have to be up and down getting food, and don’t need to feel rushed because people are walking around ready to pince on an open table.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter