"Brady Bunch House" For Sale

KayMichigan

DIS Veteran
Remember a few years ago when HGTV bought the house used for exterior shots of "The Brady Bunch", gutted the house, and redid it to look just like the house on the TV show (which was all soundstages)? The renovation was shown as "A Very Brady Renovation" with the stars of the show helping to reconstruct the interior.

Apparently HGTV had no idea what to do with it once the TV cameras left because it's for sale now:

https://www.realtor.com/news/unique-homes/the-brady-bunch-house-has-come-on-the-market-for-5-5m/

it's being sold as is, so the buyer will get a house with a 1970s style decorating scheme and the same question of what to do with a house that you can't really live in and you don't dare rent out because people might trash it.

I remember watching that HGTV show when they were doing the remodel and wondered who would ever want to buy the house when it was remodeled to look like the 1970's? Seems the first thing the new owners would do is remodel the inside to a more current look but obviously an additional cost. I assume many sitcoms only use the exterior shots for atmosphere and all of the interior shots were on a sound stage with controlled lighting/etc. and much more room for all of the production equipment.

I remember watching that HGTV show when they were doing the remodel and wondered who would ever want to buy the house when it was remodeled to look like the 1970's? Seems the first thing the new owners would do is remodel the inside to a more current look but obviously an additional cost. I assume many sitcoms only use the exterior shots for atmosphere and all of the interior shots were on a sound stage with controlled lighting/etc. and much more room for all of the production equipment.
I think whoever buys it will probably remodel it. The retail listing says some of the fireplaces and appliances aren't even functional. And yes, all of the interiors for the show were done on soundstages, one thing they discovered when they bought the house was that the floor plan as seen on the show wouldn't actually fit in the physical house so they needed to make some major changes to the house to get everything to fit.

Remember a few years ago when HGTV bought the house used for exterior shots of "The Brady Bunch", gutted the house, and redid it to look just like the house on the TV show (which was all soundstages)? The renovation was shown as "A Very Brady Renovation" with the stars of the show helping to reconstruct the interior.
I enjoyed watching that!

I read in another community that the area is zoned as such that no short term rentals are allowed.
That's a shame. Sometimes I think it would be fun to go back to the 70s for a week. :hippie: It's a shame they can't make an exception and only rent it to small groups so it doesn't become some sort of party place.

Another problem with renting it out is that sooner or later the guests would wear out and damage the place just from repeated use. They spent a LOT of money fixing it up to look like the BB house and probably don't want people trashing it.

Also, the listing says some appliances and fixtures aren't functional but they don't say which ones. It might be things like the stove or some of the toilets or showers. It wasn't put together to be a livable residence, it was put together to look like the BB house in the show. They might not have bothered to run plumbing or electricity to everything.

I remember enjoying watching the show about renovating it. I agree that I would like to see it turned into a place that would do tours or something like that.

I remember enjoying watching the show about renovating it. I agree that I would like to see it turned into a place that would do tours or something like that.

A problem with that might be that it's in a quiet suburb with no room for tourist traffic or parking. I'm not sure the local zoning authorities would allow it.

Maybe they could have people park off-site somewhere and use a small shuttle. I would definitely want to do that tour if I was in the area. I loved the original show as a a kid!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter