Booted from AKL Club Level for 50th Celebration Week…*update page 15*

I'm wondering why they could not try to provide another club level room at another resort? I find the timing just peculiar enough to raise an eyebrow as well. If I was indeed the one to get booted, I would definitely be lurking the area to see if there truly is any work or if your CL rooms just were taken for VIP use.

So, here to provide an additional data point.
I have upcoming stay at AKL Jambo Value studio Aug 18-24, and Aug 27-30.
Just got a call from MS that my Aug27-30 part is impacted, and I will be moved to a savanna room on the hotel side.

This seem to give us a good indicator on when the maintenance/work will start. Since this indicate a pretty significant amount of time for the work (more than a month), I wonder are they doing the planned hard refurb 2 years early?

Hum, just realized other than the microwave, does this mean I will also loss access to the DVC laundry room?

Surely they know that you’re planning on being there that week and will almost certainly nose around to see if the rooms are occupied by someone else……

I know that without club access the floor is locked but there are other ways to check status.

Hum, just realized other than the microwave, does this mean I will also loss access to the DVC laundry room?
you should be able to use the laundry room. It's open to everyone really as they don't lock it. They just don't tell hotel people it's there. At least you're getting upgraded to Savanah view!

Of all the crap associated with an ownership interest in DVC, this is the scenario that scares/bothers me the most:

DVD's seemingly unilateral capability to take away your carefully crafted reservation.

Under the guise of 'maintenance' - they can apparently do whatever they want - whenever they want.

Why? Because the membership has no oversight into the process.

So that's my question to the old-timers: Why didn't the membership, years ago, push for some kind of audit or oversight into this process? A simple check to ensure that all matters such as these are handled in a 'above-board' fashion? Don't other timeshares have some level of ownership representation?

I'm sure everyone knows that AKV was closed for a LONG time; they could have done 'maintenance' out the ying-yang then. And please don't tell me they didn't have the staff to do said 'maintenance' - the membership was sure as heck still paying for it.

No oversight = foul behavior.

you should be able to use the laundry room. It's open to everyone really as they don't lock it. They just don't tell hotel people it's there. At least you're getting upgraded to Savanah view!

I thought you need the magic band to open the laundry room door?
Do not remember from last stay whether the room was actually locked or not.

And yes, other than the microwave and laundry, the upgrade is nice. :) (Room should be bigger since I booked value)

Of all the crap associated with an ownership interest in DVC, this is the scenario that scares/bothers me the most:

DVD's seemingly unilateral capability to take away your carefully crafted reservation.

Under the guise of 'maintenance' - they can apparently do whatever they want - whenever they want.

So that's my question to the old-timers: Why didn't the membership, years ago, push for some kind of audit or oversight into this process? A simple check to ensure that all matters such as these are handled in a 'above-board' fashion? Don't other timeshares have some level of ownership representation?

I'm sure everyone knows that AKV was closed for a LONG time; they could have done 'maintenance' out the ying-yang then. And please don't tell me they didn't have the staff to do said 'maintenance' - the membership was sure as heck still paying for it.

To be fair, when AKl Jambo was fully closed, I doubt there is any maintenance going on anywhere.
When it is only partially open for DVC, the rooms are fully occupied.
Only now when the hotel side open up, they might have more freedom by moving people to hotel side.

To be fair, when AKl Jambo was fully closed, I doubt there is any maintenance going on anywhere.
When it is only partially open for DVC, the rooms are fully occupied.
Only now when the hotel side open up, they might have more freedom by moving people to hotel side.

That sounds like a good reason to do maintenance now - they have a place to move people. And the delay between now and that date probably has to do with lining up resources - whatever parts are needed, the staff, etc. I'd assume its off schedule maintenance that needs to be done soonish, but isn't an emergency. "We know that this is going to fail, perhaps catastrophically, so the sooner we get it done the better - because we don't want all the plumbing to go out at once."

Except we don’t know that the maintenance is DVC related. It may have nothing to do with DVC but Disney doing things to AKL and it impacts the DVC rooms

That has happened before where rooms were taken out of service because of work being done by Disney on their rooms.

Until we know exactly why the rooms are being impacted, it’s too early to assume it’s DVC just stealing rooms from members.

The fact we now have a report of someone being impacted in late August does support they didn’t want to start until the hotel side was open for moves.

So, I think the first question that needs to be answered is what is the work and is it DVC or Disney resort related.

Yes, I know the title is very clickbaity, and I apologize! I’m just a little upset at the moment.

Just me and the kidlet are booked for a 50th Celebration trip (for October 1st) and are booked at the DVC side of AKL CL for a week. We just got a call from Member Services saying that due to “maintenance issues” they are moving everyone on that floor (the same floor as the lounge) to the hotel side. Our options are to accept or cancel. I pushed back a little, politely, asking why the maintenance just happened to be every club level room on the same floor as the lounge exactly during the 50th celebration, and why we were being downgraded to a room far from the lounge and without the kitchenette, which I really like to have as a minimum when staying there. She said that other owners had shared the same concerns (duh) and that if I wasn’t cancelling, then my MDE should show the update at some point. I have some difficulty believing that they are moving all of the rooms during that time.

My question is- do you think we have the option to refuse to move? My sense is no, but this is a big downgrade for us as far as I can tell and we are not thrilled with losing the benefits of the kitchenette and the proximity to the lounge. The timing is really suspect to me on this one, with our reservation spanning the 50th and all of the rooms apparently being moved out (or so we were told- this might not be the case). It’s disappointing, to say the least, but if this is in fact a fair trade, I’d love to hear it :).

We have a DVC CLub level Jambo 1 bedroom villa booked for mid October. SO far we have not received a call. I know others have reserved non-DVC Club rooms in October and have been told that CLub will be open.

I really hope they do not do this to us too! I am so sorry and no a hotel room in the non-DVC area is not acceptable!

On the other board, someone is being bumped in August for two weeks, early to mid-August, from a club level room. So, it sounds like they are going to be doing the maintenance before the resort opens.

This just happened to me, for the second week in August. Had a value studio, that was cancelled and moved to a hotel room. The cast member that called was extremely rude, when I asked about getting points back, her response "If you don't like it, cancel".

This just happened to me, for the second week in August. Had a value studio, that was cancelled and moved to a hotel room.
How long ago was the call? I'm booked 2nd week Aug also in value--no call yet.

This just happened to me, for the second week in August. Had a value studio, that was cancelled and moved to a hotel room. The cast member that called was extremely rude, when I asked about getting points back, her response "If you don't like it, cancel".
Wow.... How did you handle that? the rude contrite response? I understand things happen, but that was unnecessary. Of course you should get the point difference back!

The rude factor happened during the major closures too. I was told by a cast member it was my fault I didnt proactively cancel my reservation rather than waiting for Disney to act.

Except we don’t know that the maintenance is DVC related. It may have nothing to do with DVC but Disney doing things to AKL and it impacts the DVC rooms

That has happened before where rooms were taken out of service because of work being done by Disney on their rooms.

Until we know exactly why the rooms are being impacted, it’s too early to assume it’s DVC just stealing rooms from members.

The fact we now have a report of someone being impacted in late August does support they didn’t want to start until the hotel side was open for moves.

So, I think the first question that needs to be answered is what is the work and is it DVC or Disney resort related.

Except when you are the boy who cried wolf (Disney), you may have used up all that benefit of the doubt good will.

This is unacceptable.
Please write to dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com providing all the detail useful to identify that CM so she can be properly trained to the standard we expect.

Wow.... How did you handle that? the rude contrite response? I understand things happen, but that was unnecessary. Of course you should get the point difference back!
The points for VALUE vs Reg hotel room .... Reg hotel room is ALOT more points. Your ahead in that regard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!