Booking flights for June 2009

Be careful. A number of people book flights and don't book a seat. Not sure why, but they do it all the time. Our flight looked half empty about 3 months out, but it was 90% full when I called to make a change to our flight from Peoria to Atlanta.

Thanks for the warning. I hadn't thought of that. I'm planning to book in Jan, so the trip will still be 6 months out, so I'm hoping there won't be a problem. I'm more afraid that, with the economy the way it is, the trip will be cancelled.

Just FYI, but if your connection is in Rome, you are not flying Delta on the Boston-Rome leg, you are flying Alitalia. The reduced point usage might be because Alitalia's flights between Rome and Boston (and Chicago) use a very out-dated business class product (Think 1988.), as opposed to flights to Miami and New York City that use a modern business product.

Delta sells tickets using their own flight numbers on Alitalia's non-stop flights from Rome to Boston, Chicago, Miami, and New York City, so for you or anybody else who is weary of flying Alitalia, just remember that your Delta flight might be operated by them. Although Alitalia, in reality, isn't going anywhere. The government will never let them die.

Yes, you're correct, it's Alitalia - I forgot to point that out. For me, because I don't travel much, outdated doesn't mean much - I have nothing to compare it to! ;)

Thanks for the warning. I hadn't thought of that. I'm planning to book in Jan, so the trip will still be 6 months out, so I'm hoping there won't be a problem. I'm more afraid that, with the economy the way it is, the trip will be cancelled.

From my understanding, if you book your airline tickets through ABD, you will get a full refund when they cancel an adventure. But if you book on your own, that's not the case. Unless you buy flight insurance. Our flight insurance covered canceled tours.

From my understanding, if you book your airline tickets through ABD, you will get a full refund when they cancel an adventure. But if you book on your own, that's not the case. Unless you buy flight insurance. Our flight insurance covered canceled tours.

If AbD cancels an adventure and you've bought airfare on your own, they will "reimburse you for your reasonable out-of-pocket (subject to proof) airline cancellation charges, or, in the case of bookings using frequent flier miles, a reasonable cancellation service fee, provided you have exercised best efforts to mitigate such charges/fees;..."

If you book the airfare through AbD, it's just simpler -- they refund 100% of the amount paid for land and air, and also for travel protection unless you've filed a claim.

I don't think any of this is dependent on whether you have the flight insurance. However, I've been known to be wrong as much as I don't like to admit it. :)

I have a .pdf of the 2009 "terms and conditions" if anyone wants it, but I'm sure it's on the AbD site as well.

Dotti

Thanks. I bought the trip insurance and I'm going to book through ABD. I did that on our last trip too. I'm not worried about getting a refund if the trip is cancelled. I'm worried about not getting to go on our adventure.

Hello everyone,

We have booked the Viva Italia trip for June 2009. We finally got the renewed passports updated for our sons this week, so I was ready to book flights. I am very much in shock over the estimated costs that I received. The range from Wash DC is anywhere from $1600 to $3100 round trip. From all of you out there that have booked flights: How far in advance did you purchase your tickets, and I know we do not have crystal balls, but I can't help think that prices may come down?!! I do not want to wait too long, but what do you all think? Any preferences on airlines for this trip? I know we are not booking Air Italia since they are in and out of bankruptcy. Thanks for any advice/experience you might have about booking the flights.

We are looking at less than $1600 per person from Chicago with a two day stopover in London. Flying London to Rome then Venice London-Chicago.This is BA. Interesting, actual 'cost' for the flights is only about $1100.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter