Booking cruise through Disney or Costco?

I do the Target Red Card 10%. How much do you get w/ fuel points? I did buy some GC's when Kroger did the 4x promo, but when I crunched the numbers, the Target deal worked out better (of course it only works if you have the pharmacy coupon).

Be careful how much you pay down before transferring. I left a $42 balance on mine, and then I noticed a couple days later that the balance due was only $12. My fare had been reduced by a lower fuel surcharge or taxes or something. You must have SOME balance due in order to transfer.

Jodie

I have never priced out the Target discount but for us fuel points savings is huge. We paid for our Disney trip last Sept using Gift Cards. We always buy our GCs when the fuel points are 4x(happens about 5 times a year). We ended up with 16000 fuel points just for that one trip. We always use the full 35 gallons when we fillup because we always fill up two cars or bring our gas cans. So we ended up saving $560 on gas just for buying gift cards to pay for a trip we were going to pay for anyway. Also if you buy your gift cards using your Disney VISA you can get the rewards also.

I have never priced out the Target discount but for us fuel points savings is huge. We paid for our Disney trip last Sept using Gift Cards. We always buy our GCs when the fuel points are 4x(happens about 5 times a year). We ended up with 16000 fuel points just for that one trip. We always use the full 35 gallons when we fillup because we always fill up two cars or bring our gas cans. So we ended up saving $560 on gas just for buying gift cards to pay for a trip we were going to pay for anyway. Also if you buy your gift cards using your Disney VISA you can get the rewards also.

The more gas you put in at the discount, the better. I ran the numbers using 20 gallons (my minivan), and it came out to an 8% discount. So for me, the Target 10% is better. 35 gallons at a time equates to a 14% discount, which is huge! Way to go!

Not quite. You book the dummy date while onboard to get the 10% discount. When you find a cruise you want, then transfer your dummy cruise over to that one. At this point your res is still with DCL. Pay your cruise down w/ gift cards purchased from Target at the 10% discount. Then before final payment is due, transfer to Costco to get the cash card.

I'm so proud to see how much you've learned... you've surpassed me BY FAR!! I only contributed one part of that equation, to you. ;)

I'm so proud to see how much you've learned... you've surpassed me BY FAR!! I only contributed one part of that equation, to you. ;)

Funny - I was already doing the onboard rebooking and the Target gift cards. Your Costco advice was icing on the cake. Thanks so much!

Jodie

What TA would you recommend? TIA

You can't request a specific TA at Costco. I think of them as discount brokers. You have to take who you get on the phone when you call the 800 number. They're definitely not Disney experts, but will call and ask any question you have. It works for me because I know what I want and am just transferring to them for the cash card.

Jodie

The more gas you put in at the discount, the better. I ran the numbers using 20 gallons (my minivan), and it came out to an 8% discount. So for me, the Target 10% is better. 35 gallons at a time equates to a 14% discount, which is huge! Way to go!

We have gas cans in order to get the full 30 gallons (often free)! Now, if there was some way to combine OBB, Target red card discount, along with those stores with fuel GC discounts, then Costco GC, we'd be all giddy (beyond normal) once onboard from our RIDICULOUS savings!!!

We have gas cans in order to get the full 30 gallons (often free)! Now, if there was some way to combine OBB, Target red card discount, along with those stores with fuel GC discounts, then Costco GC, we'd be all giddy (beyond normal) once onboard from our RIDICULOUS savings!!!

You take gas cans??? really??? I hadn't thought of doing that, but I will now! Kroger website says the max is 35 gallons. That comes out to a 14% savings, which is better than the Target discount.

How many gallons of gasoline can someone stockpile before needing some sort of license? :lmao:

I can see the headline now . . . "Obsession with Disney Cruise burns down town . . ."

Jodie

Not quite. You book the dummy date while onboard to get the 10% discount. When you find a cruise you want, then transfer your dummy cruise over to that one. At this point your res is still with DCL. Pay your cruise down w/ gift cards purchased from Target at the 10% discount. Then before final payment is due, transfer to Costco to get the cash card.

Excellent info, everyone! (although very overwhelming)

Okay, so please confirm:

1) I book my cruise on DCL (just got off the Wonder and didn't book a dummy cruise - want to kick myself).

2) Add gratuities, make requests, blah blah blah

3) Get a Target Redcard and buy GCs for 5% off (if I do 5 prescriptions, I can get another 5% one time for a total of 9.75%). Pay down the balance with these, but still keep a balance.

4) Transfer to Costco about one month before final payment.

Right?

How do you transfer? Online or on the phone?

Thank you!

Excellent info, everyone! (although very overwhelming)

Okay, so please confirm:

1) I book my cruise on DCL (just got off the Wonder and didn't book a dummy cruise - want to kick myself).

2) Add gratuities, make requests, blah blah blah

3) Get a Target Redcard and buy GCs for 5% off (if I do 5 prescriptions, I can get another 5% one time for a total of 9.75%). Pay down the balance with these, but still keep a balance.

4) Transfer to Costco about one month before final payment.

Right?

How do you transfer? Online or on the phone?

Thank you!

Yep thats it. To transfer, you print out and fax a transfer request form (on DCL website) to DCL, and they move your cruise to Costco. Then you call Costco and have them find your cruise and attach your membership #. Very easy.

Another option someone pointed out earlier (instead of Target) is to take advantage of the Kroger 4x fuel points program. If you can put 25 gallons or more in your car at a time (or use fuel cans, etc. for the excess), it works out better than the Target 9.75% discount.

You take gas cans??? really??? I hadn't thought of doing that, but I will now! Kroger website says the max is 35 gallons. That comes out to a 14% savings, which is better than the Target discount.

How many gallons of gasoline can someone stockpile before needing some sort of license? :lmao:

I can see the headline now . . . "Obsession with Disney Cruise burns down town . . ."

Jodie

We have 6 cans... no pressure to run the car down to empty. We then have gas for SOME TIME. Our local gas station, that honors the discount, put up a sign saying "No double pumping" elaborating that you can't fill one car, move it up, and fill car two. They can't say anything about gas cans. We use it for other things than the car.... lawn mower, trimmer. DCL gift cards are, in a sense, fueling our lives!!

Your "headline" made me laugh!! I must comment, though, Pillow.... You have this DOWN!!!

Yep thats it. To transfer, you print out and fax a transfer request form (on DCL website) to DCL, and they move your cruise to Costco. Then you call Costco and have them find your cruise and attach your membership #. Very easy.

Another option someone pointed out earlier (instead of Target) is to take advantage of the Kroger 4x fuel points program. If you can put 25 gallons or more in your car at a time (or use fuel cans, etc. for the excess), it works out better than the Target 9.75% discount.

Thank you!!! Two double bummers are: 1) We pay cash for prescriptions so we go to my best friend's family pharmacy for cost (I don't think Target will extend us that same courtesy haha); and 2) No Kroger in Hawaii (but hey, at least we live in Hawaii!)

The 5% off will work for me though! And my parents can get the 10%!

"Fueling our lives"???? AWESOME! :lmao:

My understanding is you must name Costco or any TA you use onboard when you book. When you get back home call Costco/TA and they will transfer the ressie. I thought it had to be transferred within a month or two to get the full costco/TA $. But if ressie is a true dummy to be moved in the future I think costco charges a fee to move dates. My 2 cents.

This is my understanding, too. Or at least ... when I called a year or so ago, this was the story I got from DCL (that the alotted time had expired in order for me to transfer to Costco - they said 30 days, I think).

But you know ... ask 3 Disney employees a question ... get 5 different answers! :rotfl2:

This is my understanding, too. Or at least ... when I called a year or so ago, this was the story I got from DCL (that the alotted time had expired in order for me to transfer to Costco - they said 30 days, I think).

But you know ... ask 3 Disney employees a question ... get 5 different answers! :rotfl2:

I have heard that DCL cuts commissions to TA's when reservations are transferred versus named on board. But its up to each individual TA what they want to credit to a customer. Costco doesn't seem to care that their commissions have been cut. They still offer the full cash card value.

We booked thru Costco and had no problems at all. I was able to call and move things around and book super easy. I was able to book dinners online thru Dis as well. $190 costco cash card is WAY better than $25 OBC IMO.

I read in other thread mentioned to book a placeholder that do not need a specific date or lots of deposit. Does anyone know how this works and what’s the difference? Are we going to be able to transfer to Costco later on? TIA.
If you are talking about making an on board reservation to get the on board booking benefits then you will be booking a certain date and you will be paying a 10% deposit.
Only Costco will be able to tell you if you can transfer the reservation to them at the time you will want to do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter