Booking cruise through Disney or Costco?

I prefer to use the same person for all correspondance and not be bounced around from operator to operator every time I call. Plus now that Costco charges for reservation changes it makes me want to use them even less.
Plus, I want to use a TA that has firsthand knowledge of the product they are selling and has a good repoir with DCL or any other cruiseline that I want to sail.

Also, I believe you have to be a Costco member to use their travel services and there are many people around the country that aren't members. So it's not like just anyone can call up Costco Travel and book a cruise like you can with other TA's.

I can see your point. I agree you do have to know what you are doing but since I tend to overplan everything that doesnt bother me. For me to get a more experienced TA is around 200 extra in my case so I would rather have that extra money to spend.

Yes you do have to be a member but for anything in life if I can get an extra 200 by spending 55 to become a member than i would pay it. Then you get the other perks.

Thanks for all the wonderful information shared in this thread! :thumbsup2

Question please - and I apologize I thought I remember a poster saying she/he had done this but I'm on overload since we're leaving in a little over a week on our next Dream cruise (that we only booked a few weeks ago).

On our June Dream cruise, I booked a dummy cruise for Dec 2013. I understand the OBC and 10% - which is awesome. At the time, I didn't think to name Costco as the "TA". If I didn't list Costco at that time, is it too late now when I need to turn this into a "real cruise" - when the 2014 itineraries are announced? I ask because I'm willing to book another dummy cruise when we board in 10 days and list Costco this time so we can take advantage of both the Costco cash card the Disney OBC & 10% off.

Thanks in advance! :flower3:
Heather

Thanks for all the wonderful information shared in this thread! :thumbsup2

Question please - and I apologize I thought I remember a poster saying she/he had done this but I'm on overload since we're leaving in a little over a week on our next Dream cruise (that we only booked a few weeks ago).

On our June Dream cruise, I booked a dummy cruise for Dec 2013. I understand the OBC and 10% - which is awesome. At the time, I didn't think to name Costco as the "TA". If I didn't list Costco at that time, is it too late now when I need to turn this into a "real cruise" - when the 2014 itineraries are announced? I ask because I'm willing to book another dummy cruise when we board in 10 days and list Costco this time so we can take advantage of both the Costco cash card the Disney OBC & 10% off.

Thanks in advance! :flower3:
Heather

We transferred reservations about 4 months prior to sail date to Costco and got full cash card no issues BUT the reservation can not be paid in full. We only had the deposit down. Costco did say that this had changed about a month prior...before that if Costco was not the TA initially they could not offer anything.

Hope the info helps!

We transferred reservations about 4 months prior to sail date to Costco and got full cash card no issues BUT the reservation can not be paid in full. We only had the deposit down. Costco did say that this had changed about a month prior...before that if Costco was not the TA initially they could not offer anything.

Hope the info helps!

Yes it does, thank you!! To be positive - you also did not have Costco listed as the TA initially, correct?

Thanks again,
Heather

Yes it does, thank you!! To be positive - you also did not have Costco listed as the TA initially, correct?

Thanks again,
Heather

That is correct we rebooked onboard and did not assign a TA. I prefer to keep Disney on as long as possible so I can call directly and make any changes or ask specfic questions. I love Costco travel b/c they seem to offer the most back but they are not always the most knowledgeable and I would rather ask the source!

fyi -- we went last month on our cruise and within 1 week we got our cash card plus a coupon (via email) for a free 8x10 custom photobook :) we took the cash card in and instead of using it exchanged it for cash!

That is correct we rebooked onboard and did not assign a TA. I prefer to keep Disney on as long as possible so I can call directly and make any changes or ask specfic questions. I love Costco travel b/c they seem to offer the most back but they are not always the most knowledgeable and I would rather ask the source!

fyi -- we went last month on our cruise and within 1 week we got our cash card plus a coupon (via email) for a free 8x10 custom photobook :) we took the cash card in and instead of using it exchanged it for cash!
Many thanks, again!! :flower3: :banana:

Heather

This is what the Costco website says . . .

"To receive your Costco Cash Card, you must book directly through Costco Travel. Bookings made through Disney Cruise Line or the Disney onboard cruise consultant are not eligible for this Costco Travel benefit."

Have they changed the policy since you booked, or is this an old policy they haven't updated on the website? Makes me nervous. I'm like you - really like to have control of my res as long as possible.

Thanks!

Jodie

Does Costco accept Disney gift cards as payment?

No they do not, but they may be able to call Disney and have it applied somehow (I hope you can see the difference of what I mean). I put all but $3 on my reservation with gift cards, transferred it to Costco (as I always do it, now) and reap all the benefits. Why I didn't want Costco to handle the card is, should your reservation's finances change in terms of a refund, it goes back on those cards, and I needed to maintain order of that (paid via SEVERAL gift cards, for several cruises). Can you imagine my stack of cards, and the marks all over 'em indicating for which cruise they're used, and in what order (because refunds will either begin with first used cards, or last used ones, and they want you to have 'em in hand to do it). It's been a long day... hope you follow what I said!

This is what the Costco website says . . .

"To receive your Costco Cash Card, you must book directly through Costco Travel. Bookings made through Disney Cruise Line or the Disney onboard cruise consultant are not eligible for this Costco Travel benefit."

Have they changed the policy since you booked, or is this an old policy they haven't updated on the website? Makes me nervous. I'm like you - really like to have control of my res as long as possible.

Thanks!

Jodie

I would call Costco directly and find out. When I finally set the date for ours last October (2011) thru DCL for June 2012 I was told there was no financial benefit to transfer reservation to Costco (info from Costco). According to my notes I spoke to a rep in Feb 2012 and was told their policy changed a month prior and they could now offer a cash card back but could not give me exact amount until the transfer was complete but the estimate was close.

As far as gc I have no idea. We did pay a large portion with our Disney visa rewards card and that went through Costco. They initially had some issues but it was b/c they were processing it incorrectly.

No they do not, but they may be able to call Disney and have it applied somehow (I hope you can see the difference of what I mean). I put all but $3 on my reservation with gift cards, transferred it to Costco (as I always do it, now) and reap all the benefits. Why I didn't want Costco to handle the card is, should your reservation's finances change in terms of a refund, it goes back on those cards, and I needed to maintain order of that (paid via SEVERAL gift cards, for several cruises). Can you imagine my stack of cards, and the marks all over 'em indicating for which cruise they're used, and in what order (because refunds will either begin with first used cards, or last used ones, and they want you to have 'em in hand to do it). It's been a long day... hope you follow what I said!

Yes - that makes sense. I was under the impression that I couldn't make payments to DCL and then transfer, but obviously that is incorrect. So as long as I don't pay in FULL, I can still transfer??? If I can save the 10% buying gift cards at Target and also get the Costco cash card, that would save a TON of money!! This is a very helpful thread.

Jodie

Yes - that makes sense. I was under the impression that I couldn't make payments to DCL and then transfer, but obviously that is incorrect. So as long as I don't pay in FULL, I can still transfer??? If I can save the 10% buying gift cards at Target and also get the Costco cash card, that would save a TON of money!! This is a very helpful thread.

Jodie

Different store, but I'm doing my process for the same reason you are. I save by purchasing gift cards, book and pay DCL directly, then transfer at nearly the last minute that I can prior to my activities/check in window. Saving 10% buying the cards at Target, huh? I may have to rethink my gift card store!

Different store, but I'm doing my process for the same reason you are. I save by purchasing gift cards, book and pay DCL directly, then transfer at nearly the last minute that I can prior to my activities/check in window. Saving 10% buying the cards at Target, huh? I may have to rethink my gift card store!

You get 5% off for using the Target card. Once you fill 5 prescriptions at Target, you get a coupon for another 5% off (on any 1 shopping day). You can combine the two. Works out to 9.75% off.

You get 5% off for using the Target card. Once you fill 5 prescriptions at Target, you get a coupon for another 5% off (on any 1 shopping day). You can combine the two. Works out to 9.75% off.

Wow! That's really good! Thank you for the information. I'll see if I can do it!:thumbsup2

we book ours on board and disney gives a 100.00 obc then tell them our travel agent will manage and get another 100.00 obc from the TA

I wish I'd read this prior to paying our cruise in full!! I do like that I can just e-mail my TA and he will make payments towards the cruise for me but for $200+ I can pick up the phone. I'm also curious where yall are buying gift cards at a discount, that is an excellent idea!

I wish I'd read this prior to paying our cruise in full!! I do like that I can just e-mail my TA and he will make payments towards the cruise for me but for $200+ I can pick up the phone. I'm also curious where yall are buying gift cards at a discount, that is an excellent idea!

If you have a Target redcard (either credit or debit), you get 5% off all Target merchandise. This applies to gift cards also (not Target gift cards though). So anytime you buy a Disney gift card with your Target Red card, you get a 5% discount. In addition, after you fill 5 prescriptions at Target (using the Red Card and their pharmacy rewards program), you get a one day 5% off certificate. You can use that certificate on top of your usual 5% off. It works out to 9.75% off the Disney gift cards. The downside is that the gift cards only come in $50 denominations - pain in the neck to purchase that many and apply them. Also, keep the cards after you apply them. If any refund is issued, it will go back on the gift card.

Jodie

How awesome is that? Thanks for the information! We've just booked our first DCL to the Med in June 2013, and that can definitely save us some money! And we're in Richmond too. :-)

As for Costco, they are top-notch! I have had a few travel agents that weren't so knowledgeable and some that took an hour with us to tell us everything, but either way, if they didn't know, they called and found out the answers. They found us a cheaper cruise on Holland America that kids sailed free instead of the Carnival we were researching. Our family did that last year at Christmas and got us a better deal than any other site could offer, and got a better rate for my parents who are middle level members with Holland America. They got a separate Costco GC, kept their OBC with Holland America and could pay with their own CC, the only thing I had to do was book it and make the deposit. My SIL even joined Costco to get theirs at a cheaper rate. Their insurance was super cheap compared to most others and it does cover pre-existing and you can add more insurance for emergency life-flights, etc.

How awesome is that? Thanks for the information! We've just booked our first DCL to the Med in June 2013, and that can definitely save us some money! And we're in Richmond too. :-)

Where in Richmond? We moved to Goochland back in 2005. I'm thrilled with the Costco deal, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how cheap the insurance is.

We did the Med in 2007. Loved it but we're sticking closer to home now that college is looming in the not so distant future.

Jodie

Where in Richmond? We moved to Goochland back in 2005. I'm thrilled with the Costco deal, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how cheap the insurance is.

We did the Med in 2007. Loved it but we're sticking closer to home now that college is looming in the not so distant future.

Jodie

Hi Jodie! We're just down Rt 288 in Chesterfield, small world!! This is our first Disney Cruise, so we thought we'd take the kids (DD 9, DS 7) on a trip of a lifetime while we celebrate my 40th bday and DH's 40th bday. Luckily college is still a few years off for us, otherwise we'd be in the same situation.

No one even came close to matching Costco's prices and we've already saved $800 by rebooking when I saw a lower fare, and they waived the $25 change fee as well. I'll keep watching and hoping it drops more too.:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter