Boma menu question

disneyfan4u

"Everything that is or was, began with a dream..."
I was looking at the rotation for Boma and had no idea what some of the items are. I don't know a lot about african cusine. Please also let me know if they are spicy. The 1st is Pap & Sheeba (sounds like tigers names, :rotfl:) and Bobotie (sounds like a monkey name, :rotfl:). Thanks! :surfweb:

I can't recall the taste of those items specifically, but I wouldn't describe anything on the menu as being particularly spicy. Have you tried doing a Google search? Maybe that would help. :)

Some of the spice flavors may be a bit unusual, but if you're worried about spicy being hot (like peppers) I don't think anything falls into that category. I'd say it's all pretty mild. :earsboy:

If Bobotie is a monkey then it is my favourite monkey. It has always been my favourite dish at Boma. I always return for seconds.

Actually, Bobotie is a South African curried meat casserole made with things like ground beef, bread, eggs, milk, onions, curry powder and raisins.

All of the food at Boma is spiced with traditional African spices but it is definitely not hot.

If Bobotie is a monkey then it is my favourite monkey. It has always been my favourite dish at Boma. I always return for seconds.

Actually, Bobotie is a South African curried meat casserole made with things like ground beef, bread, eggs, milk, onions, curry powder and raisins.

All of the food at Boma is spiced with traditional African spices but it is definitely not hot.

Cool, We're eating there in April.... Can't wait:banana::banana::banana:

pap is just about tasteless...usually ground maize or similar. Think really, really bland porridge or oatmeal - baby food, or what you'd feed to someone who's been ill. Blah.

Have no idea what sheeba is (although would be a great name for a lion, lol.)

We found Boma dinner to be full of either pap-type foods (totally bland & tasteless) or extreme-spiced foods (way too much) so we really had a hard time finding anything we liked. An example of extreme-spiced food when we were there...had absolutely beautiful looking barbecued ribs...took a bite only to find out what we thought was a BBQ rub was all cinnamon. So picture cooking your ribs in Red Hots. Not our idea of yummo at all. Lot of sickly-sweet seasonings on stuff, too.

Bobotie is most often made with lamb, but can sometimes be done with beef. It's an egg casserole of sorts, and is quite nice. We make it at home.

Pap is a white cornmeal that is cooked to a stage thick enough to be cut. There are sauces to put on it. Sheeba???? Well, there is honey wine with a Sheba label, but I don't think that is what you are talking about.

Cumin is used quite a bit, and that can be overwhelming. Curry powders are featured in many dishes too. Potatoes with Afritude is one (which I don't care for).

Spices you may not be familiar with? Yes, but they are not hot in a peppery sort of way.

The Moroccan fish stew is good.

Boma was much, much better when the place first opened, but it's now more mainstream and less authentic (like so many of Disney's restaurants).

If you don't like the food, let the server know. I've seen Chefs prepare separate meals for some people. ::yes::

my friend is very picky and went up for several plates. They do have a prime rib with a yummy mustard sauce for dipping, excellent soups, and some basic fare for the children. None of the dishes are "out there." One of the cast members from Africa told me that what they serve is pretty close to authentic but a little more on the sweater side.

I can tell you of our experience with Boma.

DH is an adventerous eater and I have "occasional" bouts to experiment, however Boma was a bummer.

African spices are used in about everything and people think they are "hot" or like mexican they aren't......it is sweet.
Everything tasted of cinnamon and cumin. Cumin is a "smokey, sweetness" taste, so even the strip loin (don't have prime rib anymore) was rubbed with the sweet spices.
The cinnamon flavor over powered just about every dish on the buffet.

Can't say it is a bad flavor, just not what we were expecting, nor what we wanted.

I love spicy foods, plain foods, comfort foods, salty/savory foods, but when I want sweet....I save that for dessert.

You can take my opinion or not, it is a nice restaurant and most of the dishes are ok (edible) but we didn't find them satisifactory or what we were in the mood for.
Not a mistake to go there, just be prepared for the taste of things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter