Bob Iger extends contract into 2019

I would love to know if Iger and team have grand plans, but the way that folks respond to change, I am not sure that they would be well received anyway. As an example, for every person that loves Pandora, there is someone who thinks that it is a waste of time, space and $$$. Not sure why Disney would want to share advanced information with such a fickle group of "fans". They'll just pick the news apart and complain about what/where Disney should be spending the money. I do it. I see it every day. Frankly, we have no idea what we are talking about beyond our personal likes/dislikes.

You mean after they sat for about 10 years, then "announced" before they had a clue, then took 6 years to finish anything?

What was your stance on how they were wronged again?

You mean after they sat for about 10 years, then "announced" before they had a clue, then took 6 years to finish anything?

What was your stance on how they were wronged again?
hqdefault.jpg

I understand that they will need a successor and I'd rather they take the time and find the right person.

There are currently zero indications in the financials that they are looking...so what does that mean?

The last (and only) CEO brought in based on perceived skill/talent was Eisner...after him the dumped it on the "next best internal guy"...which was Malibu tan bob...and they almost made that mistake again. That's probably what will happen next. Not to say iger hasn't had successes - he certainly has - but they desperately need dynamic leadership after him. Company yes men isn't going to work because the businesses are already changing drastically and disneys status quo isn't going to hold.

I'd rather they take the time and find the right person.
Exactly. Can't be easy. There aren't a lot of comparable companies out there. I can't see bringing in somebody that doesn't have experience with an entertainment/ip/content type company.

Exactly. Can't be easy. There aren't a lot of comparable companies out there. I can't see bringing in somebody that doesn't have experience with an entertainment/ip/content type company.

Wait a second...are you attempting to say it's difficult to find someone to take a $50 million dollar a year job?

Disney's acquisition by the new owners has been delayed so Bob extended to see the deal complete and to of course receive his mega bonus. :rolleyes1

:earsboy: Bill

As long as he doesn't pull a Michael Eisner...

Would this be the same Michael Eisner that guided Disney through those very turbulent times and then led Disney through its greatest growth without making a Disney vacation unaffordable for many families like the Iger years. Go and ask the cast members who they would rather work for. Iger works for the shareholder and is no no friend of the average family parkgoers. Give me Eisner any day. That was a magical era

Last edited:
Would this be the same Michael Eisner that guided Disney through those very turbulent times and then led Disney through its greatest growth without making a Disney vacation unaffordable for many families that would have been able to afford it during the Eisner years. Go and ask the cast members who they would rather work for. IGER works for the shareholder and is no no friend of the average family parkgoers. Give me Eisner any day. That was a magical era

...I corrected that There for you...

But I have to agree. Everyone (I was probably softer on him but it was time to go) wanted Eisner, my old boss, gone.

He was there too long...and made some bad choices towards the end. People hate him because he didn't crank out fairy tales ever 3 months and built some really cheap, quick fix parks at the end that required long term fixing since.

I have no problems with that criticism. It's warranted.

But...iger has been there too long already and it's time for him to go too. People don't see it...but he's got just as big of problems mounting:

1. No answer for espn...that's going to cripple them and cause damage to your character breakfast in the long run.
2. Obsession with china that will result in nothing to make the corporation better
3. Nineteen live action remakes? Low rent and no imagination...that speak so for itself.
4. Ok...I'll say it...I think they ruined the Star Wars trilogy. I hate to think that but they have little in the way of semi-compeling story going. A reboot that served as a Harrison ford exit vehicle? After he spent 30 years blasting everything about the character and story that set him up with a half a billion or so to buy his fleet of airplanes he keeps crashing? How nice of them. Thanks, JJ.

This praise of iger is so short sighted. He is literally emptying the tank to try and drive his final stock price up. If anyone thinks he gives one care for what happens to Disney once he leaves the dwarf building..you're not paying close enough attention.

4. Ok...I'll say it...I think they ruined the Star Wars trilogy.
It was already ruined when they bought the rights. The original trilogy was perfect - perfect for its time, anyway. Every movie since other than Rogue One has been a disappointment, but that is probably more because the type of story being told simply doesn't sell today. Folks my age, that grew up with the original Star Wars trilogy, expect something that just will not sell today. Star Wars films are living on the reputation of the original trilogy, and selling tickets only because of that reputation.

The Star Trek reboot is an example of how you do it right. Keep the characters only in their most basic way and forget about the "feel" of the originals. Create a feel and pace that meets the current needs of an audience then let it sink or swim on its own.

Would this be the same Michael Eisner that guided Disney through those very turbulent times and then led Disney through its greatest growth without making a Disney vacation unaffordable for many families like the Iger years. Go and ask the cast members who they would rather work for. Iger works for the shareholder and is no no friend of the average family parkgoers. Give me Eisner any day. That was a magical era

With my comment I was referring to Eisner's later years. I agree that Eisner was fantastic for the theme park division just like Iger has been great for the film division. However, once he started to extend his contract and the Eisner/Frank Wells duo became history, some really poor decisions were made across the company. Walt Disney Animation started releasing films like Dinosaur, Home on the Range or Chicken Little right after Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin or Lion King, and the theme park division created theme parks that nobody wanted to visit like Walt Disney Studios in Paris, California Adventure in Anaheim or a very diluted Hong Kong Disneyland.

As a whole I agree that Eisner was a fantastic CEO for most of his contract. The theme park division became what it is today because of him. He's also behind some of the most iconic animated films with the Disney Renaissance and the Pixar collaboration. I think it's just fair to say that they both shine in some particular areas, but have also been really faulty in others.

With my comment I was referring to Eisner's later years. I agree that Eisner was fantastic for the theme park division just like Iger has been great for the film division. However, once he started to extend his contract and the Eisner/Frank Wells duo became history, some really poor decisions were made across the company.
Exactly. Its like a tale of two Eisners.

I feel like the best thing Iger has done was the acquisition of LucasFilm. The way Star Wars has brought money to the company is insane. Also, I feel like he could have done better with the Theme Parks, but I think his legacy on theme parks is going to be based on how well Pandora, Toy Story Land, and Star Wars Land are done. Also, including how well Shanghai does might be another thing to put on his report card.

Oh great! I don't know how long I will take with Bob Iger. I mean, he's not bad, but he's taking this way too serious. He's also disrespecting the legacy of Disney. He doesn't care about Pinocchio, Fantasia, Alice In Wonderland, Jungle Book, or any other classic animated films. Black Cauldron is one thing, but he should not forget the classics. I don't know, I'm maybe wrong, but I just don't think Bob Iger is respecting the legacy of Walt Disney.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter