Boat Ride in Germany

I get what your saying, but perhaps something enclosed or even the oft-rumored Canadian flume ride would be OK

You mean the rebranding of Grizzly run from Sierra Nevada mountain watershed to Canadian Cascade watershed while covering it in a Brother Bear theme which is set in Alaska?

Yeah, they could never screw that up.....Oh Wait.

You mean the rebranding of Grizzly run from Sierra Nevada mountain watershed to Canadian Cascade watershed while covering it in a Brother Bear theme which is set in Alaska?

Yeah, they could never screw that up.....Oh Wait.

Yeah thats what I mean. Alaska, Canada same diff

You know, I was having the biggest debate in my mind about the Germany vs. France thing for Gaston. His name is definitely French but good lord - that song would make a perfect tie in with the Biergarten. Plus, he's got Antlers to SPARE - what do we need more than that?

(btw, this is all tongue in cheek, made in the spirit of the recent commercialization of the Mexico boat ride)

Yeah, I was following the Mexico discussion as well. However, the Rhine does pass alongside Strasbourg which on the French side of the river (for a while it forms part of the border between the two countries) so really they could go either way. And on your original theme they could have Gaston spit on the guests (I'm especially good at expectorating) like the camels at Aladdin's Magic Carpet ride in MK.

I don't see how this doesn't apply to all of WDW.

Personally, I would have no problems with a rollercoaster of the Matterhorn/Big Thunder variety. Exposed to a certain extent, but well themed.
Of course, since Disney has proven themselves incapable of getting much Imagineering right these days, I wouldn't hope for much in this, but in theory, I wouldn't be opposed.
World Showcase is carefully designed. The World Showcase site for each country has the same width, and the buildings are designed so that each country's buildings have a similar height. Even the towers are designed so that one country doesn't "outdo" another country. The Imagineers who refined the design around 30 years ago were really quite brilliant.

That's one reason why the views across World Showcase Lagoon, regardless of where one is standing, are so lovely (ignoring the Swan & Dolphin for a moment).

If Disney ever builds additional countries (to the same standards) on the 8 (or so) remaining World Showcase sites, it would be even better.

I too would like to see more attractions in World Showcase. But those attractions should celebrate some aspect of a country. The is so much folk art, culture, storytelling tradition, scenery, music, and ethnic entertainment to use as the basis for an attraction -- regardless of the country.

I don't want to see a roller coaster that's painted green to represent Ireland. And I don't want to see a massive structure that houses a thrill ride track looming over any of the countries.

There are enough other places at Walt Disney World for roller coasters.

If Disney ever builds additional countries (to the same standards) on the 8 (or so) remaining World Showcase sites, it would be even better.

I don't know. It doesn't seem like they could fit 8 more without seriously crowding the place. 3 maybe

Horace Horsecollar - while you may be appalled - If you recall when EPCOT first opened the problem that guests had was - no rides and then it was where are the characters. I never said anything about a big honking green roller coaster looming over Ireland- Of course I would expect it too be well themed. I think that EPCOT could use some more thrill type rides that would keep the kids there and interested. I enjoy EPCOT for what it is NOW but several years ago tromping through there with my parents I hated it!

With that said, I too think that an open coaster would be wrong. To each his own , obviously the Imagineers felt the show was going to be the best attraction - otherwise they would not selected that for the "host pavilion" It was just a thought...this is a rumor board....sorry if I upset ya:hippie: Peace

I don't know. It doesn't seem like they could fit 8 more without seriously crowding the place. 3 maybe
World Showcase was designed with 20 or 21 "slots" for countries. Each slot is essentially the same width. There are currently 11 countries, plus the International Gateway, plus World Showplace (the former Millennium Village).

Many current World Showcase countries have a slot between them. There are exceptions. China and Norway are immediately adjacent to each other. The slot between the UK and France is filled with the International Gateway. The slot between Canada and the UK is filled with World Showplace (a tent-like, temporary building which could easily be removed). And I'm not counting the Outpost, which is little more than a small gift shop.

Today, some of the slots have filler attractions, such as train layout adjacent to Germany or the boat adjacent to Norway.

I think that the American Adventure might look crowded in if the slots on either side of that structure were used for additional countries, but the original plan said the the American Adventure should not be any wider than the other countries.

The fact remains that there are around eight slots left.

Of course, nobody -- not Disney and not corporate or governmental sponsors -- seems to be in any hurry to provide funds to add more countries to World Showcase, so this discussion is only academic.

It was just a thought...this is a rumor board....sorry if I upset ya:hippie: Peace
You didn't upset me. And I'm sorry if my choice of words came across as insulting you, rather than just stating a strong opinion.

I think there's a fundamental difference between a thrill ride that is "themed" (decorated) and a story-telling attracton that happens to include a physical thrill element of some sort. Rock-N-Roller Coaster and most roller coasters at Six Flags parks are examples of the former. Maelstrom is an example of the latter.

Every World Showcase attraction should celebrate the country in which it is located. Simply "theming" a roller coaster does not accomplish that.

I don't see how this doesn't apply to all of WDW.

Personally, I would have no problems with a rollercoaster of the Matterhorn/Big Thunder variety. Exposed to a certain extent, but well themed.
Of course, since Disney has proven themselves incapable of getting much Imagineering right these days, I wouldn't hope for much in this, but in theory, I wouldn't be opposed.

Well, I think they did a pretty good job with Expedition Everest......

I think the Canadian flume ride would be a great idea.

Horace Horsecollar - while you may be appalled - If you recall when EPCOT first opened the problem that guests had was - no rides and then it was where are the characters.

Everybody has a complaint. The people still showed up though, so apparently there were other positives that compensated for these supposed shortcomings.

Mr. Horsecollar is right, there's plenty of space. The problem is nobody is willing to invest to make it happen. That's why there hasn't been a new country or attraction in WS in nearly 20 years.

perdidochas said:
Well, I think they did a pretty good job with Expedition Everest......

I think the Canadian flume ride would be a great idea.

Everest is ok, but that doesn't make it right for World Showcase. Grizzly River Run is also ok, but that doesn't make it right for WS either.

Horace Horsecollar said:
That's one reason why the views across World Showcase Lagoon, regardless of where one is standing, are so lovely (ignoring the Swan & Dolphin for a moment).
I try to ignore it, but....

And also don't forget the Soarin' hangar. Not AS obtrusive as the S/D, but it still screws up some views.

Mr. Horsecollar is right, there's plenty of space. The problem is nobody is willing to invest to make it happen. That's why there hasn't been a new country or attraction in WS in nearly 20 years.

I'm sure he is correct. But if they did fill all 8 slots it would be awfully crowded there

I'm sure he is correct. But if they did fill all 8 slots it would be awfully crowded there
It would mean that there would not be gaps between countries -- just as their is no gap between China and Norway today, except for a service road.

I would be thrilled if 8 new countries were added to World Showcase -- with new table service restaurants, new counter service facilities, new shops, new entertainment, and new attractions. Heck, I'd be thrilled if any new countries were added.

(I just have to add that I would only be upset if Disney added a new country just to be a venue for a "themed" roller roaster.)

I'm actually surprised that a new country wouldn't generate enough new income from restaurant and merchandise sales to pay its own way over time.

Unfortunately, World Showcase seems to be frozen until Disney talks someone else into paying for a new country -- and we know how successful that strategy has been over the past 20 years.

After a quarter-century of having a World Showcase with pavilions more spaced out around the lagoon, it might seem crowded, but no worse than the Magic Kingdom I suspect.

After a quarter-century of having a World Showcase with pavilions more spaced out around the lagoon, it might seem crowded, but no worse than the Magic Kingdom I suspect.

True. I would think 2 or 3 new countries would be great, but 8 would seem a tad crowded. Of course, I doube two new countries would come any time soon so this means little

Ok well appraently my opinion does not matter - this is not directed to Mr. Horsecollar - who I now better understand. As mine is just an opinion as well that I just threw out there. To me and my husband who are both well educated(beyond a bachelors) we feel that having a ride somewhat like the Mummy at Universal where it could tell a story (of the Revlountionary War) and then end with a Roller Coaster would be awesome. I only mentioned the Screaming Eagle as a Name and maybe I did not express myself as I should have but I did not think it would create such a contraversey.

allisonswonderland, you did not create any controversy--we're having a discussion here. Not really sure why you appear to be offended by the discussion, or feel that you somehow created or are a focal point of that discussion.

Ok well appraently my opinion does not matter -
Nobody said it doesn't matter. Some, including myself, just disagree with your opinion on this particular point. Conversely, you disagree with my opinion, but does that mean you're saying my opinion doesn't matter?

We like to have in depth discussions about Disney and Disney related issues around here, so there's always going to be some disagreement. Wouldn't be much to talk about if we did all agree.

True. I would think 2 or 3 new countries would be great, but 8 would seem a tad crowded. Of course, I doube two new countries would come any time soon so this means little

Exactly. If a country or two ever does get added, we should have more than enough time to evaluate how crowded it is before the next potential one comes along.

World Showcase was designed with 20 or 21 "slots" for countries. Each slot is essentially the same width. There are currently 11 countries, plus the International Gateway, plus World Showplace (the former Millennium Village).

Many current World Showcase countries have a slot between them. There are exceptions. China and Norway are immediately adjacent to each other. The slot between the UK and France is filled with the International Gateway. The slot between Canada and the UK is filled with World Showplace (a tent-like, temporary building which could easily be removed). And I'm not counting the Outpost, which is little more than a small gift shop.

Today, some of the slots have filler attractions, such as train layout adjacent to Germany or the boat adjacent to Norway.

I think that the American Adventure might look crowded in if the slots on either side of that structure were used for additional countries, but the original plan said the the American Adventure should not be any wider than the other countries.

The fact remains that there are around eight slots left.

Of course, nobody -- not Disney and not corporate or governmental sponsors -- seems to be in any hurry to provide funds to add more countries to World Showcase, so this discussion is only academic.

You didn't upset me. And I'm sorry if my choice of words came across as insulting you, rather than just stating a strong opinion.

I think there's a fundamental difference between a thrill ride that is "themed" (decorated) and a story-telling attracton that happens to include a physical thrill element of some sort. Rock-N-Roller Coaster and most roller coasters at Six Flags parks are examples of the former. Maelstrom is an example of the latter.

Every World Showcase attraction should celebrate the country in which it is located. Simply "theming" a roller coaster does not accomplish that.

Bolding in above quote mine. I totally agree with this. Epcot is our favorite park and WS is where we spend a good chunk of our Epcot time. We're now firm believers that the best time to visit WDW is during F&W, with so much to enjoy at WS, as well as wonderful weather and fewer crowds, although there were days during F&W last October that felt like a Peak Season day.

I'm curious as to the how and why of the bolded segment of the above quote occurred? Hasn't the increased popularity of F&W & F&G helped at all to generate more interest in sponsoring a Pavillion?

What is the underlying problem in obtaining Pavillion sponsorships and at what point, if any, would Disney decide to spend the $$ on their own to make improvements?

We also would love to see a handful of new countries added to WS. We'd also enjoy some rehabs to the current ones (a Rhine cruise in Germany would be wonderful). There are so many wonderful possibilities that to have WS virtually untouched in 20 years is a real shame.

What is the underlying problem in obtaining Pavillion sponsorships and at what point, if any, would Disney decide to spend the $$ on their own to make improvements?

Good questions. On the first, it's a simple matter of cost/benefit. It costs a lot of money to build and maintain a pavilion, and any potential sponsor has to believe that they will get enough of a bump in tourism (or to their specific business) to make it worth the investment.

Most governments and tourism bureaus have other pressing priorities, and probably feel other promotion opportunities are more cost effective.

Same idea with private companies. Its not easy to get them to sponser such large attractions in the first place, and since it would be themed to another country, it would most likely need to be a company based in that country, or at least with a significant presence there.

There have been rumors over the years about specific sponsorships and why they fell apart, but in the end, it comes down to somebody believing their investment was worth it, given that Disney is the one collecting ticket revenue.

Which brings us to the next question, which is when would Disney reach a point where they were willing to spend the money themselves?

Your guess is as good as mine. Obviously nearly 20 years is not enough time to go by to get them to take significant action. A possibility is that when they feel they've done what they can with Future World, they may turn to WS regardless of sponsorhip. But that's pure speculation on my part, and certainly Disney has said or done nothing to support that idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter