"Bling"..

C.Ann

<font color=green>We'll remember when...<br><font
For some reason, this particular phrase/word - which is being used to the point of producing sheer nausea lately - is driving me nuts!!! :crazy2:

Does it bother anyone else? I don't know why it bugs me so much - it just does.. LOL

:rotfl: I'm not the kind of person that would get worked up over the use of a word, but I do find it kind of annoying. It's very improper, and almost rude. (even though I've never heard it used in a rude context) :rolleyes:

Does it mean jewelry?

----------------------
From what I can determine - the various ways I've heard it used - it means any number of things: jewelry; diamonds; glitz; glitter; shiny; expensive; ritzy; etc.. :confused3

I'm not a fan of it either. I really notice it when it's doubled up "bling bling" :crazy2:

It's very improper, and almost rude.

I can see how it is annoying since it's a new word that is probably over-used, but I'm not familiar enough with it to know what makes it improper or rude. How is it used in that way?

I can see how it is annoying since it's a new word that is probably over-used, but I'm not familiar enough with it to know what makes it improper or rude. How is it used in that way?
----------------
I don't think I've heard it used improperly - or in a rude manner - just annoying.. LOL

Like right now there is a wedding show on and the bride kept saying that she wanted a lot of "bling" - when looking for her gown.. Meaning: beads; glitter; rhinestones; etc.. She wanted lots of "bling" for her jewelry: diamonds..

"Bling" for a reception would be crystal chandeliers; cake jewelry; etc..

Just an annoying word to me - and silly that it bothers me really.. LOL:rotfl:

Bling has made it into the Merriam Webster on-line dictionary. I guess it's here to stay.

Main Entry:
bling–bling Listen to the pronunciation of bling–bling
Pronunciation:
\ˈbliŋ-ˌbliŋ\
Variant(s):
also bling Listen to the pronunciation of bling \ˈbliŋ\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
imitative
Date:

: flashy jewelry worn especially as an indication of wealth ; broadly : expensive and ostentatious possessions

Well I guess you wouldn't like this shirt I bought several years ago. :rotfl2:

DSCN0600.jpg

I thought it was funny and just had to have it (if you can't tell, there's an actual rhinestone attached to Minnie's finger). This was back when it was a relatively new phrase, before it was shortened to just "bling". :)

Heck, I don't even really use the word...but it doesn't bother me that other people do. A pseudo word that I really DO hate is "jiggy". :scared: Glad that one sorta went by the wayside.

----------------
I don't think I've heard it used improperly - or in a rude manner - just annoying.. LOL

Like right now there is a wedding show on and the bride kept saying that she wanted a lot of "bling" - when looking for her gown.. Meaning: beads; glitter; rhinestones; etc.. She wanted lots of "bling" for her jewelry: diamonds..

"Bling" for a reception would be crystal chandeliers; cake jewelry; etc..

Just an annoying word to me - and silly that it bothers me really.. LOL:rotfl:

Were you by chance watching WE tv, and a show called MY Fairy Wedding? Some of the girls on those wedding shows absolutely crack me up, especially the ones who want a huge wedding with a very small budget.

Wow, hardly anybody says it around here anymore, so I sorta thought it had (blessedly) died until I saw it on one of the Superbowl commercials last night. Blech. I've always hated that word! :crazy2:

I do not not NOT like bling. Then again, I do not care for many slang terms at all. I'd completely forgotten about Jiggy... now that stupid song is in my head. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :sad2:

Uhmm, that word was huge about 6 or 7 years ago, I don't think very many people use it anymore. Kind of surprised people are getting so worked up about it now.

And how in the heck could anyone find a slang term for jewelry rude or improper? People actually get that upset by this kind of stuff? jeesh.

Uhmm, that word was huge about 6 or 7 years ago, I don't think very many people use it anymore. Kind of surprised people are getting so worked up about it now.

And how in the heck could anyone find a slang term for jewelry rude or improper? People actually get that upset by this kind of stuff? jeesh.

LOL....Yeah, I haven't heard that word being used for a while now. I didn't know people still said it either :confused3 .

Were you by chance watching WE tv, and a show called MY Fairy Wedding? Some of the girls on those wedding shows absolutely crack me up, especially the ones who want a huge wedding with a very small budget.

Yep.. That's what was on in the background.. :)

I guess you don't watch any of the numerous bridal shows on WE - or "Housewives of Orange County".. This particular word/phrase is used non-stop.. I'd actually never heard it until I started watching these shows.. It's also being used in the little girl pageant shows.. "The more "bling", the better"..

I don't think I said that I was "upset".. I said this particular word/phrase annoys me.. There's a difference..
;)

My 21 year old son informed me some months ago that the term "bling" was officially out, and that "ice" had replaced it! ;)

My 21 year old son informed me some months ago that the term "bling" was officially out, and that "ice" had replaced it! ;)
-------------------
In that case, someone should inform all of these brides - and the Housewives of Orange County - ASAP or they are going to be totally "out of the loop" - LOL..:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter