Biggest Loser "Sizzlin' Hot" Summer Challenge

Sounds like a really fun trip! You will talk about that adventure for years! I hope my kids can have fun crazy (safe, responsible) trips with friends like that in the future!

It's true, but I have to say I was :rotfl2: about the "safe, responsible." You saw right through me! Hahaha. We are pretty boring people considering we're in our mid-20s. Too cheap to buy too many drinks, either. There was an extended encounter with a rope swing of questionable safety at the lake, but that's about it. The wedding circuit that comes after college does present great opportunities for cheap road trips!

Hope you got a chance to do scrapbooking today--the odds seemed to be in your favor?

Question of the Day 8/24/2012: Today's question is about taking a look at who we are, and what makes us that way. Weight loss is really about knowing yourself. I work at the Harriet Beecher Stowe Museum in Hartford, CT and one of the messages we promote is over coming racism and inequality, and promoting an understanding of other people's beliefs, ethnicities, and cultural backround. I think this is important in today's world especially. During my weight loss journey, I have found that I've needed to look at myself and who I am and where I come from in order to truly appreciate the journey I've come on and the journey I'm taking.

So my question today has to do with your heritage! Tell us about your heritage, where you come from, where your family comes from? Do you see your heritage as a positive aspect to your journey or a negative one, or does it not really impact you at all. Are you proud of your heritage or do you not like to share it with people?

I love this question! My family has very classic New York City roots, meaning that most of my family came through Ellis Island 2-4 generations back, including my grandfather (from Hungary). I'm pretty evenly German, Irish, Hungarian, and Danish/English (split among the grandparents). Until my parents' generation, everyone stayed in New York down-state.

Being in New York City makes me feel very connected to my roots, even though I grew up outside the city. I know I'll leave the city when the time is right just like my ancestors did, but in the meanwhile I think it's really important to contribute to the community here and make the most of the diverse cultures that are here. I get an incredible mix of foods here from Asian and Latino markets, and I've learned a lot about different food traditions here. This definitely makes me excited to cook well and eat well and take care of myself, so that's a huge asset in the weight loss journey! :goodvibes

Bonus Question: many people suffer everyday because of their heritage, the color of their skin, their beliefs, and their culture? Are there any groups you work with or vounteere with that combat these types of prejudices? Are there any you wish you did work with?

Well, Matt and I both work now at an organization that runs alternative to incarceration programs. I do analysis for our youth programs, and about 68% of our young clients are black and about 27% are Hispanic. I'm very proud to work at the organization, because the mass incarceration of young men of color directly contributes to the inequality in income and educational achievement among black and Hispanic families.

In New York, all crimes committed by 16 year olds are prosecuted in adult court, which means that a 16 year old who steals an iPod at 16 could be in court for years on that arrest being monitored and, when sentencing finally occurs, they could have a felony record for the rest of their lives. Felons have an incredibly hard time getting work (especially in a bad economy) and aren't allowed to vote, which disenfranchises a significant percentage of communities of color. Young people of color in urban communities are especially vulnerable to arrests and convictions for crimes that, in the suburbs, would never make it to court. So I'm really proud to work for a place that offers access to education and treatment for young people who deserve a chance. Also, these alternatives are MUCH cheaper than jail or prison and lead to improved recidivism rates, meaning that the youth who don't go to jail or prison are less likely to reoffend and go back into the system.

Anyway, so if it isn't obvious, I feel really passionately about social justice along racial and socio-economic lines. I don't have a lot of time to do more volunteer work right now, but when I do get more involved I think I would like to work on things that I enjoy in a more extra-curricular way since my 9-to-5 is pretty intense, like getting involved with the Big Give for Wish Trips, teaching nutritious cooking or promoting vegan food, or working at an animal shelter (if I could handle that emotionally). I think it'd also be really great to be a foster or adoptive family one day, too. :goodvibes

Could I love this question any more?????!! Love it!

Glad you like it! It's one of my favorite things to ask people!
My heritage is pretty "white bread". My Dad's family settled in MA a long time ago... in fact, there is actually an organization dedicated to one of the original members of the family (related to my Dad's mom's side of the family). I've been doing the family geneology (mostly on that particular side) and have researched that branch back over 200 years. English mostly. My Dad's father's side is Scotch, having arrived here in MA only about 3 generations ago (not including my generation). I've been too cheap to pay for International record access on Ancestry.com, so I've been stuck there for a while.

Its hard when they move around a lot. I'm doing the geneology for my dads side but can only get two generations back because everyone came from portugal. I have access to all of Ancestry because i'm in school and i need it for my major but it's still tough!

It has been a bit tougher to research my Mom's side, since they moved around a bit more. I haven't really gotten more than 2 generations back for either my maternal grandmother or grandfather. It does appear that they are English as well, although my grandmother did mention to me once that there was a bit of Irish somewhere. Someday when I have more money and more time :-)lmao:) I'll get more done.

As you can tell, I will happily share my heritage with anyone who asks! I am proud of my Dad's side because they lived in the same town for many, many, many years (the town I grew up in). I feel VERY connected to that town and it makes me sad that I don't live nearer. In fact, my Dad has never lived anywhere else. I can't imagine that my kids will ever feel that same connection to this town, as we have no history here.

im very connected with my heritage as well I know how you feel!

Of course my heritage impacts me, but I really don't know how. I know I am like my Dad and he was like his Dad, but I never met his Mom (she died when my dad was 15) and I've often wondered what character traits I might get from her. Girl babies are rare on my Dad's side of the family, so it was quite a celebration when I was born! My Dad (next youngest in his family) had 7 surviving brothers (2 brothers and a sister died in childhood), each of his older brothers had only boys (except for one girl to my Dad's oldest brother.... she is many years older than myself), so I was a big deal!! :thumbsup2 Then my uncle had to go and spoil the record and have two girls after I was born! :rotfl2:

BONUS QOTD: I am a totally selfish person and right now I am not doing ANY type of volunteer work at all. I've had different periods of time in my life that I've done more, but nothing right now. I've been tempted to work on several different projects that have really spoken to me over the past year or so, but I just haven't felt like I had the time to dedicate to it properly. I think I got really burned (and burned out) directing VBS at our former church and it really made me reluctant to get "sucked into" a big volunteer project. I know I shouldn't feel that way, but I do. But thanks for making me think about it more. :)

Volunteering is tough.. I myself want to do more but just dont have the time!

Started scrubbing the gas grill.... EWWW! It was far ickier than I thought! Got it sitting with some degreaser spray on it right now. Will give it one more scrub on the inside, another wipe down on the outside, and call it good!

Fridge is down to nothing, so everyone is scrambling to find something for lunch. I had a few leftovers, DH had sardines.... the kids didn't like what I offered them so they are on their own.

I'm also simultaneously working on a small craft project that I do a bit as a time as I take breaks from other things. Hopefully it will be done by dinner time. Headache is better, thank goodness. Laundry is DONE :-)cool1:) and no where to go today (other than bringing DS to his friend's house for a sleepover). Maybe, just maybe I can find an hour to sit at my scrap table today!!!

TTYL..........................P

You get so much done in a day! I applaud you!

This isn't today's weigh in is it? OMG, I am so far out of the loop!!

Yes it is, don't worry i'm out of the loop as well!

Let's see. We are French, Irish, Native American Lenape tribe, Scottish, German, and English, mostly those (maybe some others tossed in there)

DH is Irish. If we can connect father and son Cobb's then we can trace our ancestry back to Knight's Templar on his side. I'm still trying to get 2 pieces of concrete info.

Thats very cool! Our coolest ancestor story was that we had 3 ancesestors tried in the salem witch trials

I would say on my side I'm most in touch with my French and Irish background. I am pretty vocal about my Native side sometimes but I try to hold my tongue when I can. I can get myself into some deep do-do with both sides of that fence.
My Irishness can get me into trouble with my temper but I try to keep it in check.

I don't really work with groups to combat differences. Oh, how do I put this..... In our family race, religion, sexual orientation doesn't really come into play at our house. People are people. I try to make it a non-issue.

The only time I spoke up recently about it was at a track meet. Our HS is pretty mixed with ethnic backgrounds, but the team we were racing was predominantly black. So, our 100 meter kids were warming up and an opposing player who was black came up and said "What up "N" (whole word) to our black teammates. Our team looked at him and shook their heads as I whip around and said "We DON'T say that here!"
We had just had a huge "Spread the Word, just don't say it" campaign the week before and all of our kids took a pledge to not use the R word, the N word, or the F word about kids with disabilities, blacks, and gays. (you can see our video on youtube)
So of course this is fresh in their minds. And to boot it was the opposing teams football coach who had come in to talk about not using the word and especially for other black kids to not use it towards each other.
Needless to say he kind of slunk away back to his team and our boys were rolling their eyes at him. I think they were kind of mad because we got a lecture by their coach but it seemed they were the ones that needed to lesson.
Good for you saying something and speaking up! Too many people just stay quiet and do nothing when these things happen

Wow, that was longer than I intended! LOL
Anyway we as a family try to treat all people equally. After all, we are all part of the Human Race.

Thanks for the ideas Pamela!!

QOTD: Honestly, it seems like my family does not care/known where we are from whatsoever. Strangely, everytime I ask, they say "America." Hey, we had to come from somewhere, c'mon. I know our family came from Germany, not sure when, but that's all I know from one side. I'm on a mission to find out more when I get older and can really dig into it.

---
I think I've come to the conclusion that I don't really need to lose anymore weight, I just need to start lifting and gaining more muscle. I have a little bit of fat all around but I think that if I start to do more weight training it'll change over to muscle and all will be good.

I've reached that point as well! It's a great feeling, but keep working out with toning and maintaning and you will feel great!

With that said I maintained this week. Obviously, okay with that, but annoyed this seems like the wall. Don't know whether or not I should break through it or not. My eating right now is around 1500-1700 calories a day and that leaves me satisfied and to have what I want, so...I guess we will see!

Have a good night!

It's true, but I have to say I was :rotfl2: about the "safe, responsible." You saw right through me! Hahaha. We are pretty boring people considering we're in our mid-20s. Too cheap to buy too many drinks, either. There was an extended encounter with a rope swing of questionable safety at the lake, but that's about it. The wedding circuit that comes after college does present great opportunities for cheap road trips!

Hope you got a chance to do scrapbooking today--the odds seemed to be in your favor?

I love this question! My family has very classic New York City roots, meaning that most of my family came through Ellis Island 2-4 generations back, including my grandfather (from Hungary). I'm pretty evenly German, Irish, Hungarian, and Danish/English (split among the grandparents). Until my parents' generation, everyone stayed in New York down-state.

Being in New York City makes me feel very connected to my roots, even though I grew up outside the city. I know I'll leave the city when the time is right just like my ancestors did, but in the meanwhile I think it's really important to contribute to the community here and make the most of the diverse cultures that are here. I get an incredible mix of foods here from Asian and Latino markets, and I've learned a lot about different food traditions here. This definitely makes me excited to cook well and eat well and take care of myself, so that's a huge asset in the weight loss journey! :goodvibes

Well, Matt and I both work now at an organization that runs alternative to incarceration programs. I do analysis for our youth programs, and about 68% of our young clients are black and about 27% are Hispanic. I'm very proud to work at the organization, because the mass incarceration of young men of color directly contributes to the inequality in income and educational achievement among black and Hispanic families.

In New York, all crimes committed by 16 year olds are prosecuted in adult court, which means that a 16 year old who steals an iPod at 16 could be in court for years on that arrest being monitored and, when sentencing finally occurs, they could have a felony record for the rest of their lives. Felons have an incredibly hard time getting work (especially in a bad economy) and aren't allowed to vote, which disenfranchises a significant percentage of communities of color. Young people of color in urban communities are especially vulnerable to arrests and convictions for crimes that, in the suburbs, would never make it to court. So I'm really proud to work for a place that offers access to education and treatment for young people who deserve a chance. Also, these alternatives are MUCH cheaper than jail or prison and lead to improved recidivism rates, meaning that the youth who don't go to jail or prison are less likely to reoffend and go back into the system.

Anyway, so if it isn't obvious, I feel really passionately about social justice along racial and socio-economic lines. I don't have a lot of time to do more volunteer work right now, but when I do get more involved I think I would like to work on things that I enjoy in a more extra-curricular way since my 9-to-5 is pretty intense, like getting involved with the Big Give for Wish Trips, teaching nutritious cooking or promoting vegan food, or working at an animal shelter (if I could handle that emotionally). I think it'd also be really great to be a foster or adoptive family one day, too. :goodvibes

Thanks for sharing that! It's very interesting to hear other people heritage and what people do to help others!

----------------

I don't have time to answer the question, but i will tomorrow after work...I want to post tomorrows QOTD before i nod if into la la land. So that will be coming up right after this!

Question of the Day Saturday 8/25/2012

soup.jpg

Well fall is almost upon us, and one of the things I love about fall is I have an excuse to have lots of soup! Soup is great because you can usually make low calorie options and still feel full! And its a great way to get veggies! So Today's question is, what's your favorite kind of soup? Do you have any recipes that you would love to share? Maybe some you have adjusted to be lower calorie? Share your soup secrets with us!

Bonus Question: What your favorite soup at Walt Disney World or Disneyland?

Quote: You can do almost anything with soup stock, it's like a strong foundation. When you have the right foundation, everything tastes good.
Martin Yan

Good Saturday morning everyone.

We got back to the house about 12:30 last night.

Crazy dh has already unpacked and done his laundry but then he didn't drive the 2 hours home

I had a great time. It was a different type of trip since we had 11 people but it was fun.

I will be back later,.

Good morning all! :goodvibes

I'm very good at making LISTS of what needs to be done... not so good about completing what is on the lists... so I know what you mean! :lmao

Yes, I totally know what you mean, Pamela. :rotfl:

Jill, hope you have some relaxing on deck for this week-end after your big productive week! :flower3:

Congratulations to all our superstars and especially to our biggest loser disappearing otter!

CC, way to finish off HH with a bang! ;)

Maureen, sorry for the tough week. :hugs: Way to get all of that not so fun stuff out of the way all at once. :flower3:

kollerbear, glad that you had a great time on your grand adventure! :thumbsup2

Question of the Day 8/24/2012: Today's question is about taking a look at who we are, and what makes us that way. Weight loss is really about knowing yourself. I work at the Harriet Beecher Stowe Museum in Hartford, CT and one of the messages we promote is over coming racism and inequality, and promoting an understanding of other people's beliefs, ethnicities, and cultural backround. I think this is important in today's world especially. During my weight loss journey, I have found that I've needed to look at myself and who I am and where I come from in order to truly appreciate the journey I've come on and the journey I'm taking.

So my question today has to do with your heritage! Tell us about your heritage, where you come from, where your family comes from? Do you see your heritage as a positive aspect to your journey or a negative one, or does it not really impact you at all. Are you proud of your heritage or do you not like to share it with people?

Bonus Question: many people suffer everyday because of their heritage, the color of their skin, their beliefs, and their culture? Are there any groups you work with or vounteere with that combat these types of prejudices? Are there any you wish you did work with?

My family comes predominantly from the England/Wales/Scotland. I have geneaology work from my paternal grandmother's side of the family as well as my paternal grandfather's side of the family both done by different cousins. One of DH's brothers is really into geneaology so they have an extensive family history. I always chuckle when I read people's family history because it seems to me that everyone ends up being related to royalty and few people claim to be from peasants. ;)

I think family history is interesting but it is not who YOU are TODAY. That may be because I come from a family where my parents made it a point to leave the town in the midwest, where they had lived all their lives, and move to California, where everyone came from somewhere else and reinvented themselves. :cool2: DH's parents did the same thing except they moved to Colorado. DH and I carried on the tradition when we went to law school and stayed.

This isn't today's weigh in is it? OMG, I am so far out of the loop!!

Nah, Buffy, those results were from last week. Sue had some technical troubles while she was on vacation. This is the last week of the challenge so you are all caught up! :flower3:

Reading your story about the track meet reminded me of something I read recently about telling other people's children how to behave -- it be a part of the "village" and speak up when you see or hear something. ::yes:: That student athlete might speak up next time he wants to shoot off his mouth because of you. :goodvibes

Kayla, welcome to that wonderful place that we all aspire to be -- maintainence! :yay:

Wow! What a challenging job but you can tell that you really love it! :flower3:

I have noticed that the 20-something generation as a whole is really more aware of global social issues more than any other generation since I've been around. Maybe it is because your grandparents were part of the hippie generation? :hippie: Good for you! :goodvibes

soup.jpg

Well fall is almost upon us, and one of the things I love about fall is I have an excuse to have lots of soup! Soup is great because you can usually make low calorie options and still feel full! And its a great way to get veggies! So Today's question is, what's your favorite kind of soup? Do you have any recipes that you would love to share? Maybe some you have adjusted to be lower calorie? Share your soup secrets with us!

I love almost any soup. I have a great recipe for green chile stew which is a bit more than a soup I will post later. Here is a link to our recipe thread so as you are posting all your great soup recipes be sure and add them to this thread, too. http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=36324235&postcount=1

Dona, welcome back! Hope you had a fabulous time! :smickey:

It's a low mileage training week so I'm doing a lot of housework. Dang that cleaning fairy for never showing up. It's a bit of a deeper clean since my MIL is coming to visit next month. We will be all ready for old man winter when he arrives. Have a great week-end and finish the challenge strong :goodvibes

I don't really have any good for you soup recipes. DH makes chili once a year but it's bad, really bad for you!! But oh so good!!!!

For Disney - Bistro de Paris butternut squash soup, I could eat that every day!!!

Greetings Everybody:hyper:

Exact details are still being worked out, but it is time to spill the beans that I am your hostess for the Fall BL Challenge this year:faint:

Kollerbear will be your weight keeper:surfweb:

Start date will be Sept.10th. the Monday after Labor Day

So we need coaches, and participants to get crackin.

So please PM me if you are signing up to coach or just participate in the challenge. Actual thread will be posted tomorrow afternoon sometime. Tonight is a night race at Bristol and I am a NASCAR addict:happytv: Working tomorrow until 2 so probably around 4pm or so for the thread.

In the meantime, my PM box is cleaned out, so have at it:cool1:

Exact details are still being worked out, but it is time to spill the beans that I am your hostess for the Fall BL Challenge this year:faint:

So please PM me if you are signing up to coach or just participate in the challenge. Actual thread will be posted tomorrow afternoon sometime. Tonight is a night race at Bristol and I am a NASCAR addict:happytv: Working tomorrow until 2 so probably around 4pm or so for the thread.

:banana::worship:WOOHOO!!

I was just going through my PMs trying to figure out how much weight I loss this challenge. Unfortunately I did a lot better with the last challenge. Anyhoo... I started thinking "I wonder if we'll have a Fall Challenge". I went to refresh the page and read your post. :)

Maureen- We're watching the race right now too!

Quick QOTD answers: French, German and Irish heritage...husband's family is pretty much 100% Irish.

Favorite soup is clam chowder. I had a recipe at one point for the crock pot but last time it was only so so. I have gotten into Italian Wedding Soup lately.

Fave soup at WDW is the Cheddar cheese soup in Canada.

Hi all,

Here's another attempt at getting back on track. Things are beginning to look up around here (knock on wood)! Got some good news on the work front for Brian at the end of the week and he filled out paperwork. Waiting to discuss with the friend who owns the company. Got some major cleaning done in the house this week. Girls' rooms are both clean (still need to vacuum Ash's room). Ash helped me with the family room today. Still need to vacuum and more thoroughly dust. Ash got her braces off on Wednesday and we picked up her new glasses. Had a great day shopping on Monday.
Work is still busy but I'm glad I have another therapist to help me out now. She is currently doing more than me but I'm ok with that until the kids go back to school. I don't want to work every weekend all day and injure myself. I did have to speak to her about borrowing my supplies today. She keeps taking my stool and face cradle and leaving it in her room. I don't mind her borrowing them as long as they are back where they belong when I get to my room. I paid for both items! She's very nice and hard working so I just asked nicely and she apologized! Clients have been overall much more generous with their tips so I'm not as frustrated when I leave work!

Finally attended my first Crossfit Woodshed class last night. There were about 8-10 of us at Ladies night. They go out for drinks after but I needed to come home since I had to work this morning. I'll go next time. I also could hardly walk up the stairs when I got home. I enjoyed it a lot and plan on doing a free week and then sign up for at least a 2x a week class and open gym. I can't make 3 classes a week so I'll at least start with this.

And I just did 20 minutes on the elliptical! I needed to work off the bad stuff I ate today. That's my real challenge right now! We are trying to enjoy the end of summer. Ordered subs and onion rings tonight as Ash and I finished the cleaning at 5:30 and I hadn't taken anything out of the freezer.

We wanna go do something tomorrow as a family. Just don't know what to do. Monday I will be getting my oil changed and inspection and possibly new brakes. UGH! Gotta pick up Ash's retainer at 11 and then I think we are going to see the Odd Life of Timothy Green and do some more shopping at Costco. Brian will be working. Whatever we don't get done on Monday we will do on Wednesday. I am going in to give one massage for a regular client who I couldn't fit into the schedule when I was working but I will be home by 10 that day.

I will join the next challenge again and be glad to coach one week. Summers are just so hard for me to stay focused and I do really well when my schedule is a set one!

Time for some more Crystal Light raspberry iced tea! The whole family is hooked on this right now! I make it a gallon at a time! Gotta pick up several containers this week to get us through!

Sorry this is so long but it's just been another crazy week with Brian's b'day and all the appts we've had!

Love you all!

TTFN :tigger:

(starting to feel like the old Tigger! I needed to get my bounce back again!)

So excited to start up the Fall Challenge, guys! Can't wait to touch base with everyone each week as your weightkeeper!

[/B]

I love soup!! As you said, it's such a great way to cook veggies--especially leafy greens because it's easy to boil them and the nutrients don't leach out because you drink the broth! I've shared a few soup recipes on this thread already, but I haven't shared this one for Arabian Lentil and Rice soup... this is one of my favorites. It doesn't taste like your typical lentil soup at all because red lentils break down pretty completely when they cook... The texture and flavor of this actually reminds me of a nice, subtly Middle Eastern chicken soup with rice! I like to have it with za'atar bread (pita bread that has been baked with za'atar seasoning). Matt also likes to add preserved lemons to the soup, which is really delicious if you have them. :)

I actually haven't gotten to eat out too much at Disney World, even though I dream of having a nice special trip there one day with lots of good food. (I do read the signature restaurant menus for fun. Which is normal. Right guys?) The one thing I have eaten a lot of is the Vegetarian Chili at Columbia Harbor House, which I do actually really enjoy. It's nice to have that vegetarian option at a quick-service place, and it's a great healthy snack to share or a meal by itself.

I have noticed that the 20-something generation as a whole is really more aware of global social issues more than any other generation since I've been around. Maybe it is because your grandparents were part of the hippie generation? :hippie: Good for you! :goodvibes

Thank you! That's so interesting that you say that. I have my theories about why this is but they would definitely be too off topic. :rotfl2: We also live in such a global age, I think we are exposed to issues differently. It's certainly interesting to see, and I really wonder if we'll be able to make a difference. I guess every generation wonders that?

Crazy dh has already unpacked and done his laundry but then he didn't drive the 2 hours home

I had a great time. It was a different type of trip since we had 11 people but it was fun.

I will be back later,.

Welcome back!! Glad you had a fun trip!

Good morning all! :goodvibes

My family comes predominantly from the England/Wales/Scotland. I have geneaology work from my paternal grandmother's side of the family as well as my paternal grandfather's side of the family both done by different cousins. One of DH's brothers is really into geneaology so they have an extensive family history. I always chuckle when I read people's family history because it seems to me that everyone ends up being related to royalty and few people claim to be from peasants. ;)

I think family history is interesting but it is not who YOU are TODAY. That may be because I come from a family where my parents made it a point to leave the town in the midwest, where they had lived all their lives, and move to California, where everyone came from somewhere else and reinvented themselves. :cool2: DH's parents did the same thing except they moved to Colorado. DH and I carried on the tradition when we went to law school and stayed.

Maybe it's being a history major but my family history greatly influences me, but i totally understand remaking yourself, especially if you don't like where you come from. But I think that's another way of your family history influencing you! LOL

Wow! What a challenging job but you can tell that you really love it! :flower3:

As a 20 something I would agree with this, and i'm glad of it!

I love almost any soup. I have a great recipe for green chile stew which is a bit more than a soup I will post later. Here is a link to our recipe thread so as you are posting all your great soup recipes be sure and add them to this thread, too. http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=36324235&postcount=1

Dona, welcome back! Hope you had a fabulous time! :smickey:

It's a low mileage training week so I'm doing a lot of housework. Dang that cleaning fairy for never showing up. It's a bit of a deeper clean since my MIL is coming to visit next month. We will be all ready for old man winter when he arrives. Have a great week-end and finish the challenge strong

If she does show up, send her my way:goodvibes

I don't really have any good for you soup recipes. DH makes chili once a year but it's bad, really bad for you!! But oh so good!!!!

For Disney - Bistro de Paris butternut squash soup, I could eat that every day!!!

LOVE chili, I have modified a few recipes for chili to make them healthier and they are so good!

EXCELLENT!! THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

:banana::worship:WOOHOO!!

I was just going through my PMs trying to figure out how much weight I loss this challenge. Unfortunately I did a lot better with the last challenge. Anyhoo... I started thinking "I wonder if we'll have a Fall Challenge". I went to refresh the page and read your post. :)

Maureen- We're watching the race right now too!

Quick QOTD answers: French, German and Irish heritage...husband's family is pretty much 100% Irish.

My boyfriend is very irish! His brother's name is Jameson!

Favorite soup is clam chowder. I had a recipe at one point for the crock pot but last time it was only so so. I have gotten into Italian Wedding Soup lately.

Fave soup at WDW is the Cheddar cheese soup in Canada.

My dad makes excellent clam chowder, and i love the cheddar cheese soup in canada, but they are both things i cannot eat now that i'm lactose intolerant

Hi all,

Here's another attempt at getting back on track. Things are beginning to look up around here (knock on wood)! Got some good news on the work front for Brian at the end of the week and he filled out paperwork. Waiting to discuss with the friend who owns the company. Got some major cleaning done in the house this week. Girls' rooms are both clean (still need to vacuum Ash's room). Ash helped me with the family room today. Still need to vacuum and more thoroughly dust. Ash got her braces off on Wednesday and we picked up her new glasses. Had a great day shopping on Monday.
Work is still busy but I'm glad I have another therapist to help me out now. She is currently doing more than me but I'm ok with that until the kids go back to school. I don't want to work every weekend all day and injure myself. I did have to speak to her about borrowing my supplies today. She keeps taking my stool and face cradle and leaving it in her room. I don't mind her borrowing them as long as they are back where they belong when I get to my room. I paid for both items! She's very nice and hard working so I just asked nicely and she apologized! Clients have been overall much more generous with their tips so I'm not as frustrated when I leave work!

Finally attended my first Crossfit Woodshed class last night. There were about 8-10 of us at Ladies night. They go out for drinks after but I needed to come home since I had to work this morning. I'll go next time. I also could hardly walk up the stairs when I got home. I enjoyed it a lot and plan on doing a free week and then sign up for at least a 2x a week class and open gym. I can't make 3 classes a week so I'll at least start with this.

And I just did 20 minutes on the elliptical! I needed to work off the bad stuff I ate today. That's my real challenge right now! We are trying to enjoy the end of summer. Ordered subs and onion rings tonight as Ash and I finished the cleaning at 5:30 and I hadn't taken anything out of the freezer.

We wanna go do something tomorrow as a family. Just don't know what to do. Monday I will be getting my oil changed and inspection and possibly new brakes. UGH! Gotta pick up Ash's retainer at 11 and then I think we are going to see the Odd Life of Timothy Green and do some more shopping at Costco. Brian will be working. Whatever we don't get done on Monday we will do on Wednesday. I am going in to give one massage for a regular client who I couldn't fit into the schedule when I was working but I will be home by 10 that day.

I will join the next challenge again and be glad to coach one week. Summers are just so hard for me to stay focused and I do really well when my schedule is a set one!

Time for some more Crystal Light raspberry iced tea! The whole family is hooked on this right now! I make it a gallon at a time! Gotta pick up several containers this week to get us through!

Sorry this is so long but it's just been another crazy week with Brian's b'day and all the appts we've had!

Love you all!

So glad things are looking up for you! I hate cleaning, I'm in the process of doing some major cleaning myself and it's exhausting!

So excited to start up the Fall Challenge, guys! Can't wait to touch base with everyone each week as your weightkeeper!

I love soup!! As you said, it's such a great way to cook veggies--especially leafy greens because it's easy to boil them and the nutrients don't leach out because you drink the broth! I've shared a few soup recipes on this thread already, but I haven't shared this one for Arabian Lentil and Rice soup... this is one of my favorites. It doesn't taste like your typical lentil soup at all because red lentils break down pretty completely when they cook... The texture and flavor of this actually reminds me of a nice, subtly Middle Eastern chicken soup with rice! I like to have it with za'atar bread (pita bread that has been baked with za'atar seasoning). Matt also likes to add preserved lemons to the soup, which is really delicious if you have them. :)

I actually haven't gotten to eat out too much at Disney World, even though I dream of having a nice special trip there one day with lots of good food. (I do read the signature restaurant menus for fun. Which is normal. Right guys?) The one thing I have eaten a lot of is the Vegetarian Chili at Columbia Harbor House, which I do actually really enjoy. It's nice to have that vegetarian option at a quick-service place, and it's a great healthy snack to share or a meal by itself.

Thank you! That's so interesting that you say that. I have my theories about why this is but they would definitely be too off topic. :rotfl2: We also live in such a global age, I think we are exposed to issues differently. It's certainly interesting to see, and I really wonder if we'll be able to make a difference. I guess every generation wonders that?

That soup sounds delicious I will have to try it!

My theory is even if you don't think you can do anything or will only make a small difference, you should still try to do something. Because even if you help ONE person, think of all you did for that ONE person.Even if it's something as simple as holding the door open for someone, or buying a homeless person dinner, you've made a world of difference in that person's life. So i try to do little things, even if it seems like its only a little thing

---------------
I just sat down and it's 11:30!! I can already tell this is going to be a stressful week!! My best friend is getting married next weekend, plus school starts this week!

I'm a little annoyed at all the wedding stuff...not only do i have to spend so much money for different dresses, accesories, hair, nails etc and it just seems like such a waste! I also asked my friend today what she was planning as far as nails and she gave me a bit of an attitude saying we were all going to go together and i would just have to make time. Well I do have school so knowing when she was planning on doing stuff would be helpful!!!! I just feel like she is being very selfish and i love her but i will not skip class for her! Especially during the first week!

It's also my boyfriend's birthday and I have literally no idea what to get him, and that's another expense and another stressful thing to deal with.

Add to that trying to get my room all finished up, clean and reorganized before school starts. I did finally pick a desk, but of course now i need to order it, assemble it, find a chair, and i want a little bookcase as well.

I swear this week will be the death of me!

Tomorrow I won't be around till the end of the day again, but i will respond to everyone I promise!

Going to post the question of the day again tonight...I will be able to answer my own questions eventually!! Everyone just please pray for my sanity and remind me not to stress

Question of the Day Sunday 5/26/2012

Meet my work out buddies!

IMG_0121.jpg

Today's question is who are your workout buddies? Family members? Friends? Pets? Or maybe you prefer to work out alone? Do you find working out with someone who is further along in their journey helps to motivate you to work harder, or does it make you feel like you're not doing enough?

Bonus Question: Share a picture of your pets!!

20935_291827672454_505037454_3998106_4873489_n.jpg

41042_418973062454_505037454_5421093_3171259_n.jpg

221881_5494907454_505037454_242684_5103_n.jpg

QOTD: I normally workout by myself. I do like to walk with people as well. Now that I've tried out Crossfit I will do a little of both types of working out!

No pets here. We had a dwarf frog that died in May. That was out last one. DH is allergic to cats and dogs and we are so busy we don't have much time!

Had a nice morning out with the family. We went to the new outlets in Marrimack, NH. Brian needed new pants and belts for work. Izzie and I each got a pair of Skechers. Bought the girls each a Vinylmation at the Disney outlet $2.99 a piece! Got a couple of things at the kitchen outlet as well. It's a nice outlet though there are a few other stores that they need! Lots of sneaker places! I have a Skechers card and should be earning a gift card soon! I got a pair of slip on sneakers and Izzie got some BellaB's that are sparkly and she can wear them with dresses too. They spin as well! She really wanted a pair and we got both of our sneakers for $72. I also got some workout/work clothes at the Hanes outlet. Things were buy one get 1/2 off the 2nd!

Watching the Liverpool soccer game now. We recorded it while we were out!

Going to do the elliptical in a little while. Going to see if I like wearing these new sneakers on the elliptical.

Sorry that I have been MIA the last few weeks. My job has been so crazy busy. Super excited to read about the fall challenge. Looking forward to it!!

I love soup. My favorites are French onion and broccoli cheddar (not very healthy). I absolutely love Panera soups the best. I do not know what it is about their broccoli cheddar and French onion, but I love them. I'm sorry to say that I don't have any soup recipes because I do not make soup. I'm really the only one in my family who eats it, so I just treat myself to Panera. I also haven't had any soup at WDW.

Thanks so much for taking over! I will be participating and can't wait for a new challenge.

Love you all!

Glad things are looking up for you!

Thank you for stepping up to that role! I can't wait for the challenge!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a quick check in to see how everthing is going. I'm glad I did since we got the big news about our new challenge leaders :yay:

I have official 1st day of school tomorrow and really not looking forward to it :sad2: This summer has been so fun that I don't want it to end. I hope I have a good group of kids and not too many out of control teenagers.

I'm off to study multiplication facts with DS9 as a review and find a book for DS6 to read. DS9 has had such an attitude today. I rarely make desserts and I made a cake today. Well, poor DS9 didn't even get a piece because of his attitude. Anyone else have a DS or DD around 9 years old? Do you get this attitude also? It rears it's ugly head occasionally, but when it does...look out!

Anyhow, I'll try to check in during my lunch break tomorrow. Happy week to everyone :)

Jill

Hi Everyone,

I have missed you. I keep telling myself that I would go back and read everything and catch up .... but I don't think this is going to happen. So, I am just starting on the last page.

I hope everyone has been doing well1 :goodvibes

QOTD: My best friend it my workout partner but not on a regular basis. We usually try to walk one day a week to catch up with each other. On other days I run on my own. I will try to find a picture of my cat, Sparkles. She is the only other female in our house. :)

Thanks so much for taking over! I will be participating and can't wait for a new challenge.

Thank you Octoberbride for taking over! :cool1: I can coach a week. When the weeks, I will let you know which one will work for me.

Just a quick check in to see how everthing is going. I'm glad I did since we got the big news about our new challenge leaders :yay:

I have official 1st day of school tomorrow and really not looking forward to it :sad2: This summer has been so fun that I don't want it to end. I hope I have a good group of kids and not too many out of control teenagers.

I'm off to study multiplication facts with DS9 as a review and find a book for DS6 to read. DS9 has had such an attitude today. I rarely make desserts and I made a cake today. Well, poor DS9 didn't even get a piece because of his attitude. Anyone else have a DS or DD around 9 years old? Do you get this attitude also? It rears it's ugly head occasionally, but when it does...look out!

Anyhow, I'll try to check in during my lunch break tomorrow. Happy week to everyone :)

Jill

Hey Jill, Thinking of you and hope you have a great first day ... and an awesome school year! :goodvibes

And as for your DS 9, my 3 sons are all different. Each has gone through a stage where they are just miserable at times. Unfortunately, teenagers are even moodier. :sad2: I have great boys (yes, I know I am bias :) ) and I have to say, they only show this behavior at home and no where else. Hopefully this is the same for you. Good luck with him. Perhaps he is just acting up a little since you and he are going back to school.

WOW! You sound like you have an amazing job that you love that really makes a difference. Good for you!

I do like soup. Most of the soup recipes I would share have originally come from a BL challenge here. I have a "light" knock off of Panera Broccoli cheddar soup that the family loves, plus a curried carrot soup that is a winner as well. I also make potato soup (a recipe that I lightened and adapted from Taste of Home), chicken soup (no noodles or rice, so carb friendly), hamburger soup (using V-8 juice as a base), and my own creation of Red, White, and Green chicken chili.

I'll check the recipe thread to see how many of these are already there.

Can't say that I've ever had soup at DL or WDW.

Quote: You can do almost anything with soup stock, it's like a strong foundation. When you have the right foundation, everything tastes good.
Martin Yan

I will be back later,.

Glad you had a good time! You were missed. Can't wait to hear about your adventures!

Thanks to you both for keeping our challenges up and running! I'll be happy to coach this fall!

Question of the Day Sunday 5/26/2012

Meet my work out buddies!

Today's question is who are your workout buddies? Family members? Friends? Pets? Or maybe you prefer to work out alone? Do you find working out with someone who is further along in their journey helps to motivate you to work harder, or does it make you feel like you're not doing enough?

Don't have any workout buddies. DD is a great person to workout with when she has the time, but that is rare and she really doesn't like running or walking. If she isn't swimming she prefers spin class. I'd LOVE to have a regular workout buddy!

Bonus Question: Share a picture of your pets!!

Great pictures, thanks for sharing! I'll try to find a picture of my kitty to share. Probably don't have any pictures of the mice/mouse.

QOTD: I normally workout by myself. I do like to walk with people as well. Now that I've tried out Crossfit I will do a little of both types of working out!

No pets here. We had a dwarf frog that died in May. That was out last one. DH is allergic to cats and dogs and we are so busy we don't have much time!

Had a nice morning out with the family. We went to the new outlets in Marrimack, NH. Brian needed new pants and belts for work. Izzie and I each got a pair of Skechers. Bought the girls each a Vinylmation at the Disney outlet $2.99 a piece! Got a couple of things at the kitchen outlet as well. It's a nice outlet though there are a few other stores that they need! Lots of sneaker places! I have a Skechers card and should be earning a gift card soon! I got a pair of slip on sneakers and Izzie got some BellaB's that are sparkly and she can wear them with dresses too. They spin as well! She really wanted a pair and we got both of our sneakers for $72. I also got some workout/work clothes at the Hanes outlet. Things were buy one get 1/2 off the 2nd!

Watching the Liverpool soccer game now. We recorded it while we were out!

Going to do the elliptical in a little while. Going to see if I like wearing these new sneakers on the elliptical.

Aren't those outlets HUGE!? DD and I stopped in a few times this summer (her Driver's Ed was in Merrimack) and the size is overwhelming!

Sorry that I have been MIA the last few weeks. My job has been so crazy busy. Super excited to read about the fall challenge. Looking forward to it!!

Glad you are planning on joining us this fall!

Happy Monday everyone! Sorry I didn't make it on here over the weekend. Gave myself a computer break (other than my evening Pinterest scan). Got several things done around the house that I've been procrastinating on, so that makes me happy. Finally filled all of the frames of the photo collage in the dining room that I've been working on for MONTHS! I do have a few spots that I will probably change out as I get better photos, but at least for now I don't have photos of the Walmart and Target families that the frames came with!!:lmao:

Hit the grocery stores on Saturday to the tune of over $300! That totally blew the August grocery budget, but I consider most of it to be part of the September budget. Made 5 meatloaves.... ate one Saturday night and froze the rest for busy fall days! Next up I'll probably make some chilis and stews for the freezer.

Found DS a nice pair of gym sneakers (Aasics) on the clearance rack at Marshall's for $25 so that made me happy. He has HUGE feet and finding sneakers can be quite a task and quite pricey. Now he just needs to try the dang things on for me!

DD has a guidance appointment this morning to fix some problems with her schedule and I need to pick up a new copy of DS's schedule, since it appears that the school changed it AFTER they sent him his copy. :rolleyes:

Off to hang a load of laundry, eat breakfast, and head out to the school. TTYL....................P

ry%3D400

This is my kitty. Her REAL name is Lucky.... but we call her Schmoopy. :)

Won't go into her long story now.... will just say we took her in after she had been living under a neighbor's shed for most of the summer. We think that someone dumped her when she became pregnant (neighbors took the kitten). She definitely wasn't feral.... she is one of the sweetest cats I've ever had.......P

Morning all!!

Do y'all hear that?????? Yeah, me neither. My house is quiet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First day of school for the little ones. Lots of new families and a lot of them were big families like mine. YAY!! DS16 slept over at a friends house so it is peaceful here.
DD totally blew me off this morning, LOL. As soon as she saw her friends she was like, OK you can go now. Gee thanks! :rotfl2:

So now I am back at it for fitness and food. I need to get my butt in gear. DH asked me this morning if I had given up on my diet because I wasn't journalling. OH, bite me big guy!! No I just got sidetracked but I'm back in the saddle again!

Sun QOTD: I love it when friends join me at Zumba, but I go no matter what. I've met some new friends there. When I jog, occasionally my 12 year old joins me, most often I go alone. I had to step out of my comfort zone & go on my own, to get this weight off. It hasn't been bad at all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter