Biggest Loser Fall Challenge!

I just realized I never did an intro of me. I'm Tricia, and I live in Northern Virginia. Not married, no kids. Growing up I was always extremely thin, and was always active, so I never had to worry about my weight. When I got out of college, I started getting really bad migraines, and one of the medicines that I was on caused me to gain about 30 pounds in a year. And since then, the weight start creeping up. So 20 years later, I'm still trying to get it off. I was losing some 4 years ago, but then was diagnosed with breast cancer, and gained back what I had lost, and then some.

I started running after all of my surgeries and treatments as a way to get back into shape, but so far, I haven't lost any weight, probably because I've been so inconsistent. I've run 2 1/2 marathons, and numerous 5K's. My next half is the Wine & Dine, and I'd love to be about 10 pounds lighter. I think that would help with my time.

My goal is to lose between 60-70 pounds, so I have a ways to go!

Well, I haven't run in about 5 weeks (or more) and last night I decided to do a 5k this morning! What was I on last night? Anyhow, it went well & it was an easy, mainly flat course. It starts right before our huge parade, so half of it was the parade route. It was weird having soooo many people watching me run, but all the clapping & cheering was fun. I ran my best time, even after stopping to walk because of a cramp, so I'm happy.

Hahhaa... that sounds kind of like a 1-person race!!! Congrats!

Good Morning Everyone :)
I'm Michelle and this is my 3rd BL challenge. I completely fell off the wagon during the summer challenge :( but am bound and determined to make to the end of the fall challenge. I am 12 lbs away from my goal weight, but these last few pounds do not want to come off - they really like me :rotfl:

Looking forward to doing the challenge together and motivating one another to reach our goals of loss and/or maintaining :)

Welcome!! I'm sure those last 12 lbs. are stubborn, but you're stubborn-er. Or more stubborn. You know what I mean. :)

Good morning, all. I am having a FRUSTRATING morning. I made the mistake of letting myself get upset after being called out on a thread (about calling myself vegan even though I very rarely and in specific circumstances do not make every effort possible to ensure that I'm eating vegan food in restaurants, or make the decision to have some dairy in my coffee if nothing else is available, or eat something someone has prepared for me in their own home (like pancakes) if nothing else is available, etc.) I was SO hurt by this, that it kept me up until 4:00 yesterday morning!! I've seen some DIS threads get pretty contentious and crazy, but I was just so used to how welcoming these threads are, so I got comfortable and said a couple things casually on the vegan thread that, even though I believe in them, were probably asking for people to jump all over them. They are conversations I'd gladly have in person because I stand behind my ideas and feelings, but on the thread the responses felt hurtful to me (even though they were respectfully written) because of how passionate I am about veganism and how much it means to me. In retrospect I REALLY regret talking about something so important to me. I can't shake this yucky feeling!! I've definitely learned a lesson--I guess that happens to people on the boards a lot.

On the up side, I decided yesterday to do the C25K challenge! I should focus on THIS. :) I've done a couple 1/2 marathons in the past, and trained from 0 to the 1/2 in about 9 weeks, so I know that the C25K might be too easy for me. BUT, my big obstacle is making time for exercise, and this seems like an easy and fun program that will get me off the couch three times a week, and that's honestly what counts. EASE and FUN were two ingredients I was definitely missing last time I took up running, so I hope this feels nice and gets me motivated! I'm also hoping that working up so slowly might help ease the knee pain I experience when I run.

Looking forward to weighing in on Friday and getting this party started!!! Have a great day everyone! Happy September!!

Hahhaa... that sounds kind of like a 1-person race!!! Congrats!

Welcome!! I'm sure those last 12 lbs. are stubborn, but you're stubborn-er. Or more stubborn. You know what I mean. :)

Good morning, all. I am having a FRUSTRATING morning. I made the mistake of letting myself get upset after being called out on a thread (about calling myself vegan even though I very rarely and in specific circumstances do not make every effort possible to ensure that I'm eating vegan food in restaurants, or make the decision to have some dairy in my coffee if nothing else is available, or eat something someone has prepared for me in their own home (like pancakes) if nothing else is available, etc.) I was SO hurt by this, that it kept me up until 4:00 yesterday morning!! I've seen some DIS threads get pretty contentious and crazy, but I was just so used to how welcoming these threads are, so I got comfortable and said a couple things casually on the vegan thread that, even though I believe in them, were probably asking for people to jump all over them. They are conversations I'd gladly have in person because I stand behind my ideas and feelings, but on the thread the responses felt hurtful to me (even though they were respectfully written) because of how passionate I am about veganism and how much it means to me. In retrospect I REALLY regret talking about something so important to me. I can't shake this yucky feeling!! I've definitely learned a lesson--I guess that happens to people on the boards a lot.

On the up side, I decided yesterday to do the C25K challenge! I should focus on THIS. :) I've done a couple 1/2 marathons in the past, and trained from 0 to the 1/2 in about 9 weeks, so I know that the C25K might be too easy for me. BUT, my big obstacle is making time for exercise, and this seems like an easy and fun program that will get me off the couch three times a week, and that's honestly what counts. EASE and FUN were two ingredients I was definitely missing last time I took up running, so I hope this feels nice and gets me motivated! I'm also hoping that working up so slowly might help ease the knee pain I experience when I run.

Looking forward to weighing in on Friday and getting this party started!!! Have a great day everyone! Happy September!!

I'm sorry that happened to you. I stopped visiting the Community board for just that reason...things get ugly QUICKLY there! It is a shame that folks can't stay friendlier, but some people don't seem to be able to just "click" themselves away from things they disagree with. Anyhow....sorry you were kept up all night thinking and such. Stay here on the WISH board where things are friendly (usually) ;) .

Good luck with the C25K!

So here at Midas waiting for my car. Oil change, air filters, and new brake rotors....:rolleyes2 dang. Thankfully the rotors were under warranty.

Ran into Walmart, Staples, and Hobby Lobby to kill time and do a few returns. Managed to not buy too much. Raining harder now, so I'm done walking. I'll do the rest of my errands when I get the car back. Then home for lunch and chores.

TTYL...........P

Bummer - I'm sorry about that :hug:

Wishing you much success with C25K! I'll be cheering for you :cheer2:

Things are quiet here for a new thread...... not complaining, just commenting. :thumbsup2 Home, had lunch, threw dinner into the crockpot (I can turn it up higher than a normal crockpot, so I know it will be done on time), did some picking up and organizing a started a few craft projects (they all need the same paint job), so I'm feeling good about what I got done today. I'll share pix of the craft if it turns out okay. One of them is a pretty simple spraypainting job. DS has a wall of the letter "L" (his first initial) and I always pick them up when I see them around (primarily Hobby Lobby and such). I grabbed a new one today( plain wood) that I hadn't seen before and I am using a bit of a black metallic paint that I am also using for something else to paint it. PLUS I've been looking for some nice big house numbers for the front door and I finally found something I liked at Hobby Lobby and they will also get the same black metallic paint job. Killing three birds with one can of paint, so to speak!:rotfl: (I crack myself up!)

DH was sweet enough to pick some flowers from the yard for me and have them waiting in one of my favorite blue/green mason jars on the counter when I got home. :flower3:

Heading out in a minute to pick up the kids. I am QUICKLY getting spoiled letting DD drive them to school, so I wish I didn't have to take the car today!

TTYL.........................P

Hi Everyone just doing my intro.. Hi I'm Michelle this is round #2 for me, I did th summer one and lost a bit then gained it back and ended at my same weight so I guess this summer I was a maintainer... I have about 6 weeks left of my Zumba classes - every tues and thurs and I must say I love them.. if they offer them again I'll be signing up.. other then that I don't do activity.. I know should but I just don't..

Um personal - I am a wife and mom to two fab kids DD just left for her freshman year at college and DS is a 10th grader.. I've been married to my Hubs for almost 4 yrs (in Nov) and before that I was a single mom for 10 or so years.. I feed my kids on the cheap so we could have a roof over our heads which means lots of pasta at my house.. I LOVE Carbs... I have diabetes and need to cut the habit.. sooo very hard to let go... but working on it.. I am at a high does of Metformin and it kills my belly... I have a sit at your desk and look at the computer all day job.. but it works for me, been here 10 + years so know it inside and out..

Well off to Zumba!! see you all tomorrow have a great night.. Michelle

Okay friends.... for those of you who are returning from the Summer challenge, you might remember a little promise I made about a weekly recipe? Well, you may also recall that I failed UTTERLY on that promise! :rotfl: I totally forgot after the first few weeks! But I'm here to redeem myself, at least a little bit! I won't make a promise of a WEEKLY recipe, but I'll try hard to share any new healthy recipes that I try. So here we are, up for your viewing (and eating) pleasure.... the first recipe of the fall challenge! :thumbsup2 Just in time for fall apple harvest time!

Here is the recipe, as I found it online (will include a link at the bottom of this post). I will let you know my changes in red at the bottom.

Apple Pie Oatmeal

Ingredients:
1 cup of steel cut oats*
3 diced apples (I use Gala)
1 cup apple juice (I use Oasis)
3 cups water
Directions:
For Best Results: Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook for 2-4 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low until it reaches the consistency that you like. Be sure to stir every hour or so.
* You can also cook longer without stirring as often, but you have to add more water liquid and it does come out a bit mushier. Add an extra cup of liquid for 7-8 hours in the slow cooker.
* It must be steel cut oats, regular oats get very soggy when cooked this way. You can find steel cut oats in your local grocery store (sometimes they are called “irish oats” or “pinhead oats”).
Delicious when topped with a drizzle of organic maple syrup, honey, or a sprinkle of brown sugar.
This recipe makes 6 – 1 cup servings.
Enjoy!
Nutritional Info per serving (1 cup) (before additional toppings):
115 Calories 1 Fat 26 Carbs 2 Fiber

First of all.... I only made a half batch. DD and I are the primary oatmeal eaters here. Second, I was not at all picky about the type of apple I used. In fact, my thought was to use up the slightly older apples sitting in my fruit basket (may have been one Paula Red and one Crisp??).

I wanted my oatmeal ready at about 7am and I did NOT want to get up during the night to turn it on or stir it. So I put my old "one temp" Crockette on a plug-in timer to start at about 2:30 am. I figured that I would cook the oatmeal in about the middle timeframe given in the original recipe (since I don't know if my Crockette temp is considered high or low). I also boosted the water by half a cup (since it was a half batch) to eliminate the need to stir.

I also added a healthy dash of cinnamon and a smaller dash of nutmeg and cloves. After all, isn't that what apple pie is about? I did NOT add salt, as I normally do to my crockpot oatmeal, because the recipe didn't call for it, and it definitely needed it.

Next time I will use even LESS apple juice.... just didn't particularly enjoy the taste of it in the oatmeal. The apples and spices were enough. And of course, I will add about 1/2 tsp. of salt. I also thought it could have used about 30-60 more minutes of cooking, so next time I will cook this same size batch for more like 4.5 to 5 hours. But I will make it again. The apples were a nice touch!

Here is your link!

http://goodrecipesonline.com/apple-pie-breakfast-healthy/

Next up I'm trying a pumpkin pie oatmeal. I'll let you know how it turns out!......P

Popping in to say hi everybody :wave:

Got some more signups for the thread and added em to the list:cheer2:

Did much needed rust removal project today on my bath fixture. Its looks even better than I thought it did outside:rotfl2::rotfl2: Lemme just tell y'all I LOVE Pinterest. The things I am learning from that site are amazing. :cool1:

Hi everyone :goodvibes

I tried posting the final results from the summer challenge here as well, but the DIS won't seem to let me. Usually it does, but tonight it's not budging, so please jump over and see how you all did.

Everyone should be proud. Even if you didn't reach your goal or ended up higher than where you started, it's better than it may have been if you didn't check in at all during the summer :thumbsup2

I've got a lot of catching up to do here, so I'll be back later :goodvibes

Thak you for letting me track your weights this past year. It was great getting to know everyone a little bit better.

Sue,

I'm here, I'm here!

My summer attempt wasn't so great. I'm down to losing my last 10-15lbs and it's driving me insane!

Anyway, hope you are all doing fabulous and I'm excited to talk to some old friends and meet some new ones! I signed up for my 2nd half marathon in October and another 5k coming up at the beginning of October as well. It'll be interesting to say the least!

Hi All
I 'd love to come back and so glad I didn't miss the start date.
I was here a year or so ago then I let Life get in the way.
Need to get get serious again
I can and have made good progress in the past
but my MO is a great start that is usually short lived,
followed by the "so you failed again" mantra and regained weight.
So sick of it :(
HELP!

Hi All
I 'd love to come back and so glad I didn't miss the start date.
I was here a year or so ago then I let Life get in the way.
Need to get get serious again
I can and have made good progress in the past
but my MO is a great start that is usually short lived,
followed by the "so you failed again" mantra and regained weight.
So sick of it :(
HELP!

You've come to the right place! Glad you'vw returned. Start doing some thinking about why you can start strong but fizzle out quickly. What ever that reason is, we can definitely help you overcome it and move beyond it this time. The first thing I will tell you is that you MUST stop thinking in terms of "diet" and start thinking in terms of "lifestyle change". There is NO getting around this. If you are serious about taking weight off and (more importantly) keeping to off, you must be willing to start making permanent changes.it isn't as hard as it sounds though.. Baby steps!

Morning all! Another rainy humid morning here. We need the rain though and I need an excuse to take a break from my outside projects! Going to try to get some work done on DD's swim scrapbook after my housework this morning!

Got a new oatmeal recipe in the crockpot... Can't wait to try it! TTYL.......P

P - thanks for the recipe.. I really interested to hear about the pumpkin pie one!

Hi everyone! I'm Liz, and this is my third BL Challenge. My first one was in the spring, and it got me off my butt and into action - and I finally got rid of the last 20 nagging pounds I'd been carrying around for years. I maintained in the summer challenge and am looking to do the same this fall!

I'm 40 (!), married to Eric (DEA on the boards), and we have two DDs - Anna is almost 8, and Tessa is 5 1/2. I work for a university and also have a side job managing manuscript flow for an academic econ journal. We're active in our Unitarian Universalist church, and I love to perform (singing) and read - in all my spare time!

I was always overweight enough to be uncomfortable in high school and college. Not obese, but unhealthy for sure. After several false starts, I got to goal weight with WW and made lifetime in 2002. DH and I got married in 2003, and Anna was born in 2004. I gained 80 pounds with that pregnancy :eek: and 60 with Tessa, losing most of the weight in between. After I had Tessa, I got about half the weight off but found it so hard to motivate and lose the last 20-30. Back to WW, and I got 10 off pretty quickly. The last 20 were so stubborn! When the spring challenge rolled around this year, I used it as a kick in the pants, along with WW, to get moving and finally get rid of the weight. And I DID. I worked really hard - counting points, changing up my activity, sticking with it when I used to quit, and it felt so good to get back to goal!

The biggest change I made this year was to my exercise. I started doing interval training (thank you, Jillian Michaels!). And NEVER having been anything remotely resembling a runner, I started a C25K program (I used the active.com app). I broke a toe in April and had to stop running for two months. But by then I was hooked - I finished the C25K and haven't looked back! I ran my first 10K in August, and DH and I are both registered for the ToT 10-Miler (3 weeks from Saturday!) and the WDW Half in January.

Even though I know I'm ultimately the one responsible for my food and exercise choices, I firmly believe that this group gave me the boost I needed to finally make my weight loss happen this year. I don't ever want to go back, and so I choose to keep hanging with you lovely people. :) You're all inspirations to me! Looking forward to a great fall!

XO
Liz

P - thanks for the recipe.. I really interested to hear about the pumpkin pie one!

You're welcome.

The pumpkin was good! But there is just a little something about it that I didn't love. DD loved it. I will post the recipe, but next time I make it I do need to change something... not sure what.

Hi everyone! I'm Liz, and this is my third BL Challenge. My first one was in the spring, and it got me off my butt and into action - and I finally got rid of the last 20 nagging pounds I'd been carrying around for years. I maintained in the summer challenge and am looking to do the same this fall!

I'm 40 (!), married to Eric (DEA on the boards), and we have two DDs - Anna is almost 8, and Tessa is 5 1/2. I work for a university and also have a side job managing manuscript flow for an academic econ journal. We're active in our Unitarian Universalist church, and I love to perform (singing) and read - in all my spare time!

I was always overweight enough to be uncomfortable in high school and college. Not obese, but unhealthy for sure. After several false starts, I got to goal weight with WW and made lifetime in 2002. DH and I got married in 2003, and Anna was born in 2004. I gained 80 pounds with that pregnancy :eek: and 60 with Tessa, losing most of the weight in between. After I had Tessa, I got about half the weight off but found it so hard to motivate and lose the last 20-30. Back to WW, and I got 10 off pretty quickly. The last 20 were so stubborn! When the spring challenge rolled around this year, I used it as a kick in the pants, along with WW, to get moving and finally get rid of the weight. And I DID. I worked really hard - counting points, changing up my activity, sticking with it when I used to quit, and it felt so good to get back to goal!

The biggest change I made this year was to my exercise. I started doing interval training (thank you, Jillian Michaels!). And NEVER having been anything remotely resembling a runner, I started a C25K program (I used the active.com app). I broke a toe in April and had to stop running for two months. But by then I was hooked - I finished the C25K and haven't looked back! I ran my first 10K in August, and DH and I are both registered for the ToT 10-Miler (3 weeks from Saturday!) and the WDW Half in January.

Even though I know I'm ultimately the one responsible for my food and exercise choices, I firmly believe that this group gave me the boost I needed to finally make my weight loss happen this year. I don't ever want to go back, and so I choose to keep hanging with you lovely people. :) You're all inspirations to me! Looking forward to a great fall!

XO
Liz

Glad to see you back with us!

Okay.... breakfast was good. I made the pumpkin pie oatmeal. There was just a little something about it that I didn't love. Not sure what it was. I will post the recipe though.

Dishwasher and dish drainers are empty, sink is scrubbed, dinner is in the crockpot, kids are off to school and breakfast is eaten. Next up I need to throw in a load of laundry (even though it is rainy and I can't hang anything out, I probably need to do at least one load of whites). DH is up, so I can go make the beds now.

I SHOULD pull down a few boxes from the attic (since it is a cool-ish day) and go through them. I was looking for some fabric up there the other day and :eek: it has gotten TOTALLY out of hand! I think that will be my "house" goal for the day (I try to do one thing for the house, one chore, and then one "extra" every day that I don't work). I can watch some junky television while I sort through the boxes.

Up next.... the recipe!..............P

Pumpkin Pie Steel Cut Oats in the Crockpot

Serves 6-8

2C steel cut oats
1 15oz can of pumpkin(or about 1 3/4C)
1 400 mL or 14 oz can full fat coconut milk plus enough water to make 7C(about 5 1/4C water)
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tbsp + 1 tsp*pumpkin pie spice
1/2C honey or maple syrup(or leave unsweetened and add after it’s been cooked)
Put all ingredients in your crockpot.* Mix well and set to cook for 5-6 hours on low.* Serve hot with milk or a dollop of greek yogurt, extra honey or maple syrup and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Okay.... as usual, here is the recipe as I found it. And here are the things I did different.....

First of all.... this is a HUGE batch of oatmeal, so I quartered it for my purposes. Second of all... I don't have coconut milk in the house (plus full fat?? not sure if I want that), so I used half unsweetened vanilla almond milk and half water (1 C of each). Third.... I didn't have legit "pumpkin pie spice" so I used cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and a bit of ginger. And finally, I DID leave it unsweetened.

I put the oatmeal in the crockpot and then blended the pumpkin, milk, water, and spices and dumped them on top and gave it all a stir. Covered, set my timer to cook it for about 6 hours and off to bed I went!

In the morning the pumpkin had risen and settled on the top, so I had to give it a thorough stir before serving. DD had hers with brown sugar and said it was great. I didn't eat my portion until a bit later. There was just a little something about it I would change, but I can't quite figure out what it is. I've made pumpkin oatmeal before by just adding warmed canned pumpkin puree to a hot bowl of steel cut oats and giving it a stir. I think I liked that better.

Anyhow, if you are a fan of pumpkin and a fan of steel cut oats, I recommend trying this!....................P

Tea Pot You are definitely in the right place. We are all so glad you are here. Just keep reading and posting! We are all in this together.

myweegirls Liz- you are an inspiration! :)

Hi, I'm Christina!
I'm newish to the boards and new to the BL challenge. I've been doing WW with my DH since May and have lost 27.6 lbs so far. I'm hoping this will help keep me accountable because I've been in somewhat of a rut the past two weeks.
I used to run... ahem.. 9 1/2 years ago I ran all of 1 5k. In any case, I wanted to start running again, so I started about a month ago, and well I have a 5k this Sunday and I am planning on running the Princess 1/2 in Feb.
Nice to meet all of you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter