Big Lots, price comparison, I thought I would share

panfan

DIS Veteran
Hi All!
I just recently starting really trying to trim our grocery budget ( as well as all other areas!) I used to be the type to almost never compare prices and just buy it if I needed it etc.

Well, today I went to Big Lots for the first time. I spent a total of $51.74 on various items from dry grocery , stationary , light bulbs etc. You get the idea. Next I went next door to Giant to finish off my weekly shopping. I listed each item I purchased at Big Lots and decided to investigate how much I would have spent at Giant for the same items. I even used the prices for the generic Giant brand when available (cereal) I was astonished to say the least to find out I would have spent $ 72.90 for the same items at Giant!!!!!

I know to probably most of you this is no big deal because y'all have been doing this sort of thing forever, but to me I was very excited :banana:

Anyway, thanks for listening and I will continue to learn from you all!

I did also want to share one of the "real shockers" the Banana Boat 30spf for kids at BL was 3.00 and next door at Giant 8.99 ! Couldn't believe it :confused3

WOW! That is pretty good!!! You are a very conscientious SHOPPER :thumbsup2

I applaud you!!! We have a BIG LOTS that just recently opened the next
town over from me. My DS was returning to college after a recent weekend home and he ran there to check it out. He said he really didn't care for it at all. Not sure what he was talking about. He was going to get cleaning supplies for his on-campus apt (splits with 3 other guys)! Only bargain he thought were paper towels/tp/and coat hangers!!!

I have not been in there yet BUT plan to real soon. Just to check it OUT!!!

Did the sunscreen have an expiration on it? I would be worried that it would be leftover from last year.

Eckerds has great sales on Sunblock throughout the summer. Keep an eye out for their sale flyers in the Sunday paper! :thumbsup2

My experience with Big Lots is it's hit or miss, just depending on what they have in stock at that time. I have gotten Revlon Colorstay foundation (my back-up/cheap alternative to Merle Norman) for $1 or $2 before, which I was very excited about! And I really like the Physicians Formula brown bottle of eyeshadow I got there - it turns green and brown. I really am sounding like a make-up junkie here, but I don't think I am...

Anyway, some of the Big Lots have furniture sections also with some pretty good deals.

Big lots is hit or miss. Recently I bought...
Advantage low carb shakes-$3 (walmart they are $5.58)I drink these everyday so seriously I bought 8 packs of them.
Paper plates $1.99 (2.99 at walmart, same day, same brand)
various groceries, pudding, cereal, fruit snacks.

The best purchase I made last week was french vanilla coffee creamer in the individual containers so they dont have to be refridgerated! Perfect for my disney trip in 8 days!! They were $2 for a whole box.

:thumbsup2 I love Big Lots!

For the past five years I have gotten my sunscreen from them - I don't know how they do it but it all namebrand, not old (you can tell because many of the products are new to that year!) and it is less than half of the price at Walgreens!

I also have found great deals on hairproducts - I have two girls and bought the self-braider and self-beader for $2 - $3 each. They have been wonderful and I saved at least $7 off each!

And their Spring / Summer outdoor stuff for gardens is very fun!

Last time I was in there I saw Kohls price tags on five different products - so their stuff is coming from good sources.

princess: princess:

I love their stuff too. You just really need to watch the expiration dates on food and health&beauty items.

I usually stop by Big Lots on my way to Walmart to pick up snacks. I usually spend around $20 on snacks and skip that section entirely at Walmart. When I priced compared it to Walmart I was saving around $10-15 each week by doing that.

A couple of years ago around Christmas, my brother could not find Spongebob anywhere. I went to Big Lots one day and they had tons of them! I guess most people think they only have out of date stuff, but that's not always the case.

I love Big Lots! A couple weeks ago I got a wonderful zip up picnic blanket with handles that had a Target tag on it ($20). I paid $10. I love their scrapbooking section too.

I LoVe Big Lots... you never know what you'll find there. Somedays are a bust ~ but others are very worth it. I got a great pair of Limited sunglasses there for 1.99 last week! :thumbsup2 I can't get out of Big Lots for under $30.00 but I'm getting great bargains so I can't complain! I always check expiration dates - but usually they are months out. They had the large bottles of wishbone ceasar dressing "just2good" the other day for $1.29 a bottle :thumbsup2 Yep ~ BIG Big Lots fan here ;)

I like Big Lots, too. Alot of their food items are simply things that have been discontinued.

I got disappointed a couple weeks ago, though. They had the Graco Turbobooster for $29.99 (Target's best sale price is $49.99), and this is the booster seat I want for my youngest DS. Only problem was, the seat cover had pink flowers on it! As much as I love a bargain, I just couldn't subject my boy's to that :teeth: I'm sure the pattern was why it ended up at Big Lots. It just figures, though.

I try to go to the Big Lots near work once a week during my lunch hour. It's true, you never know what you are going to find there, and its the type of thing where you have to buy it when you see it because if you procrastinate, and think about it, when you come back it will most likely be gone.

I LOVE Big Lots!
My favorite buys there are on doggie snacks/treats/toys (SO much cheaper than Target or a pet store)...snacks, cereal and drinks for us...socks for the kids (10 packs for $2.99!!!)...scrapbooking stuff (I got a K& Co. album there last time for $3!)...garden supplies...I guess I love everything!
But my absolute best buy there by far has been my refurbished Dyson for $279! I was worried about it being refurbished but there was a 30 day return policy as long as I had the box and all instructions--it is wonderful and much cheaper than the $450+ retail!

I rarely frequent BL (but only because there's not one convenient to me), but I do love the store. I stopped in today since we were over that way and found a cereal I love for $1 less than Walmart which is currently the only other store I can find it at. I also got Hershey's Lite syrup for $1 and a pack of Easter eggs for $.10. I saw Oreos for $1.99. That's the most I'll pay for them when they go on sale so it's nice to know there's somewhere I can always get them, hehe.

Crazy Hakim said:
its the type of thing where you have to buy it when you see it because if you procrastinate, and think about it, when you come back it will most likely be gone.
Very true! After we tried out the picnic blanket, I loved it so much I wanted to get some more for our "gift closet." They were all gone when we went back a few days later :guilty:

I have been meaning to check out the BL that opened near us; now I'll definately have to go!!! :Pinkbounc

Our Big Lots has had a bunch of great scrapbooking supplies in the past couple of months.
A Fiskars rotary cutter that usually goes for around $50 was only $9.99. It works great.
They had cute Disney stickers. They had Mickey, Minnie, Pooh, Princess and Tinker Bell. Those were $1.
I got a Susan Branch 12x12 white with red rosebuds album for $4.99.

WalMart had page kits for $5.49. The same kits were at Big Lots for $1.99.

I agree it's hit or miss, but I sure like it when I find good deals there.

kfeuer said:
I got disappointed a couple weeks ago, though. They had the Graco Turbobooster for $29.99 (Target's best sale price is $49.99), and this is the booster seat I want for my youngest DS. Only problem was, the seat cover had pink flowers on it! As much as I love a bargain, I just couldn't subject my boy's to that :teeth:

:laughing: Kfeuer ~ I had to laugh when I read this... Wow, what a huge price difference but I have to agree, neither your boys or your DH would appreciate moms "pink girly bargain!" :rotfl:

ntink said:
I love their stuff too. You just really need to watch the expiration dates on food and health&beauty items.
FYI: With one exception, it's not illegal to sell foods that are expired. The one exception: baby formula.

At my Big Lots, essentially all the food is expired, and I don't buy it. I'm also not a fan of their cleaning supplies; they're cheap brands and don't seem to work as well (exception: bleach). However, I occasionally find a good deal on unexpected things that makes it worth the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!