Big difference between bus or monorail?

ewerstruly

DIS Veteran
Okay, forgive me for what is probably a stupid question, but would there be a huge difference in time/convenience going to and from MK from the Poly/monorail or the Beach Club/bus at mk closing time on MNSSHP night.

Well besides the Resort Monorail when leaving the Magic Kingdom to get back to the Polynesian they also have a Boat which goes there, so you have a second option. Now the bus to the Beach Club will share with the Yacht Club, however if it's not there you could have a 20 minute wait and during that time you would have already arrived back at the Polynesian by Monorail or Boat.

If you leave when MK closes you will be in competition for room on the resort monorail with people taking it to the TTC to get to the day visitor parking lot as well as people going to CR and GF - it can be jammed and a bit of a wait to get on the monorail to get 'home' to the Poly. Less crowded times it's great. The boat is more like a bus, in that you have to wait longer for it to show up and for people to board, once you're on the boat it's a pretty quick ride.

A short wait time for a bus is random luck. Other than judging by the crowds waiting you have no idea if you just missed a bus or one is just around the corner. At least with the boat/monorail option to the Polynesian you have two choices and a better idea of wait time.

Also, if you stay to the actual end of the MNSSHP the crowds won't be as bad as they will be if you leave right after the last parade and/ or fireworks, usually around 11 PM. People with little kids tend to pour out of the parks then, not staying the extra hour.

Okay, forgive me for what is probably a stupid question, but would there be a huge difference in time/convenience going to and from MK from the Poly/monorail or the Beach Club/bus at mk closing time on MNSSHP night.

In the grand scheme of an entire Disney vacation, there will not be a huge difference in time. It will likely take longer to get back to BC than it would to get back to Poly, but this difference in time is not large (it may be as little as just a few minutes or as much as a half hour, depending upon wait times for buses and monorails).

If you leave after the fireworks/parade, there are tons of people waiting for buses and also waiting for the boats and monorail. In my experience the monorail tends to move pretty quick; however, we haven't really had that bad of a time with the buses either. When we stayed at BC and travelled to MK, we never thought it was that bad. The wait was never too long, and once you are on the bus, the drive is pretty quick.

Having once stayed at OKW, where the bus is your only option to and from MK, we always migrate back to monorail resorts. We felt the wait was considerably longer for the bus, then adding travel time, we prefer being on the monorail. :)

I honestly don't think the boats will be running anymore if you are talking about the true end of MNSSHP. I think they stop around 11pm.

That being said, we have never had a monorail or bus issue (and we ALWAYS walk about of the parties after midnight). Monorail would be quicker than the bus, but probably only by about 10 minutes.

Thanks so much. I've presently got a Beach Club reservation and we're only going to be there one day for Stormalong Bay ... and then plan to only go to the MK that evening for the MNSSHP and back. I have gone back and forth with whether or not to keep this reservation or switch to The Contemporary or some place more conveniently located to the MK. We've never stayed onsite at Disney, so this is all new to me. We have been to the MK three times before though and stayed until close, so I've seen the crowds.

If you stay at the Contemporary you can walk to the MK so no bus, boat or monorail needed.
That being said, I wouldn't base my resort choice only on the 30 minutes of post MK transportation. If the monorail resorts appeal to you, chose one. IMO, if you really want Stormalong Bay though, don't let transportation issues sway you away from it. ;)

If you stay at the Contemporary you can walk to the MK so no bus, boat or monorail needed.
That being said, I wouldn't base my resort choice only on the 30 minutes of post MK transportation. If the monorail resorts appeal to you, chose one. IMO, if you really want Stormalong Bay though, don't let transportation issues sway you away from it. ;)

The above poster has it right, SAB is amazing and quite different from the Poly pool. I loved the Poly and the transportation options were fantastic! The Poly pool was small and crowded and borring for my teen kids. They want to try SAB next time. We never had along wait for a monorail at the Poly and liked taking the TTC monorail as well, then walking back to the Poly.

the bus ride from MK back to the BC is not bad at all. Even when it stops at swan / dolphin / yacht / then beach. They turn the lights out and you just kind of zone out.

The epcot resort bus stops at MK are not that busy, as opposed to POP ir all star. So you usually dont have to sit through multiple buses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!