Better to Buy More Points at Cheaper Resort?

MamaTotoro

Earning My Ears
We are looking to buy into DVC. Unfortunately, our first two attempts to purchase BWVs fell through as Disney exercised their ROFR. We are now debating if we should look into another BWV contract, or go for a OKW contract with more points. If we purchase Old Key West, what are the chances of using these points at other resorts in the future?

I think this depends on how you plan to stay & when & where you prefer to stay. Most DVC member will tell you, including myself, that you should buy where you want to stay the most. Having your favorite resort at 11 months is great & less stress than tracking availability at 7 months which is absolutely true for studios at BWV. We prefer 1 bedrooms which seem to have better availability at 7 months than studios. That's the factor on "how" you plan to stay. I bought my first direct contract without seeing the property in person & chose it based on it's lower maintenance fee (BLT) but once we started on stay at WDW, we found which resorts we preferred & bought a 2nd smaller contract at the resort we wanted to stay at all the time to gain that 11 month booking advantage/peace of mind. OKW & SSR usually has availability of various room types at 7 months or less so it's not like you will not have a place to use your DVC points, but it's up to you if you visit WDW during high season where availability is limited, you might want to only buy where you prefer to stay.

So as Foodie says above buying into the resort you love aka "want to stay at" should be your priority. Hoping to constantly trade points at 7 months you may not like the work you have to put into it to make it work out.

There are many here who will tell you to buy those sleep around points but you need the time and energy to put into it to make it work for you. If your a lazy vacationer it's much easier to roll in at 11 months book trip and go no drama.

I think the majority will tell you to buy where you want to stay because of real experience not because a few get their way with stalking reservations everyday because ...yes.. life is to short for that and vacation is supposed to be simple and easy.

Remember going to Disney is a vacation not just for you but, your family or friends if you take them, it is to be relaxed, happy and simple not a competition to post on Disboards about your white card or sleep around points!

We don't mind staying there sometimes, but definitely would like to option to stay at other resorts sometimes. (ex. BWV and BCR)
What if owning at OKW meant staying there most of the time? Would you still want that contract? A month ago, you were torn between BWV, CCV and AKV with some minor consideration for BRV and BCV. Are you really going to be happy owning OKW if you cannot get one of those top 3 or 4 resorts most of the time?

What if owning at OKW meant staying there most of the time? Would you still want that contract? A month ago, you were torn between BWV, CCV and AKV with some minor consideration for BRV and BCV. Are you really going to be happy owning OKW if you cannot get one of those top 3 or 4 resorts most of the time?
Excellent point! We decided to put a new offer for BWVs again - as this one is our favorite. Thank you everyone for some quick feedback!

If you want Beach Club you need to own at Beach Club...it’s really hard to swap into for more than an odd day here or there - no matter which size unit you want. BWV is better but if that’s where you want - that’s what you should buy - you might consider paying a couple bucks more so that Disney won’t ROFR it.

It really depends what time of year you travel.
During DVC popular times, moving to popular resorts at 7 months is very difficult.
We purchased both of our contracts with the buy where you want to stay and have never regretted it.
We still stay at other resort on occasion, but we can always reserve at 11 months.
Beach Club or Boardwalk during Wine & Food is nearly impossible at 7 months.

It depends on your mindset. I almost don't care at all when and where we stay. I rarely book beyond 7 months. So the more points for the money the better.
For other people that have their resort, room, and time picked out early that sort of thinking is horrific. They probably consider the way I approach taking vacations barbaric.

As much as I like other resorts, BWV, and BCV give me the opportunity to got to EPCOT with no hassle! That’s worth something to me. I hope you get the BWV,

When I was shopping for my first contract, I found myself torn between my quest to get the most bank for the buck vs picking a home resort that I really wanted. My initial plan was to buy at Boulder Ridge because in my mind, it was the lowest price resort that I was willing to get "stuck at" if I couldn't get anything else at the 7 month mark. I kept that mindset for the better part of a month of serious resale shopping and then, like so many others, I started to really crunch numbers cost per year etc. and changed my mind. I bought 120 points at the Polynesian which is where I really want to stay. Since then I've added on at OKW because the cost per point is great and I really enjoyed my stay there in November. I plan to buy a small contract at BWV to have the option to book for Epcot festivals; as others have said above, it is really hard to book at the 7 month mark during peak times. Good luck!

I think exit strategy matters.

If you plan to sell in 10 years, I have a completely different answer than if you plan to run out the clock on a 2042, or try to use SAP in 20 years.

For most of the year 1 bedrooms are available at almost all resorts at 7 months. Studios, on the other hand are not. So if you want to stay in a studio, buy where you want to stay. Since DVC is buying back a few more contracts these days. A few more dollar per point on a contract will be in your favor and get the contract you want.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!