Better late than never? A hazy 6 week TR Oct/Nov 2016 - Updated 11/5 Wrap Up

Oh! I didn't know he did that.

I have no idea if he still does but that was one of the main reasons I wanted to go.

Long dull wait. I've done that (MNSSHP, though). But... like you said, no party time wasted. :)

I think I waited just over an hour for the seven dwarfs at MNSSHP but this was a whole other level of bored waiting!

That looks so strange! Jack in a fur-lined winter suit and you in shorts (and heel saving sandals.)

He's clearly never been to Denver before - he'd freeze to death if he was cold in Florida.

Is this just after he punched you? I hear he's got a mean right cross.

No punching. But he may have been hypnotising me.....

How was that? The Haus is on my list... but for the tomato basil soup.

Average. And after a stupid long wait average is just not good enough.

My feelings exactly.

Although that being said I will be back at MVMCP on this upcoming trip but its just for the park hours - no lining up for characters or anything this time!

I just realised I have 5 days until I'm in Orlando and 11 chapters left in this TR which I want to wrap up before I go so apologies in advance but I'm going to have to rush through an post multiple updates to put this baby to bed!

Part 40 – Last Day Blues and Adventures

That morning I checked out of Beach Club and had my bags sent over to the last resort I would be staying in – POFQ.

I then headed over to HS. I had thought about using EMH at MK that morning but decided I would be way too tired.

I headed over to Launch Bay when I arrived to get some souvenirs for the boy and his friend – I got the little name badges with your name written in Aurebesh.

Then I headed over to lunch at HBD. This was one I was really looking forward too as it had been the hardest ADR to get. It wasn’t just normal lunch – it was dining with an Imagineer.

We met with Jason who worked in Ride Development. He was fascinating and although I couldn’t get any spoilers out of him it was great to be able to ask him questions.

For lunch we had Roasted Tomato Soup.

The famous Cobb Salad (which I was really wanting to try). It was delicious.

I believe I had the Fillet for my entrée.

And then dessert was a trio. Crème Brulee (not a fan in general), Chocolate Mousse Cake (ok) and the Grapefruit Cake. I had heard so much about the grapefruit cake but honestly, I thought it was horrible and bitter!

We got a signed plate to take home with us (I believe they charge for that now).

Overall it was a great experience and I would do it again. I’m sure depending on the Imagineer you get it could be completely different – and maybe better or worse – but I’m sure it would be fascinating.

After lunch I took a few pics of the Christmas decorations in the park and then hopped on a bus back to POFQ.

Why? Because I really wanted to try the Mickey Beignets. Afterall, that is one of the reasons to stay there. Stay tuned for my thoughts.

I looked around the resort a little before finding my room.

Next up – One Last Trip around the World

Last edited:
Part 41 – One Last Trip around the World

I took some photos of my room and here’s a little mini room tour.

Then I headed off to find my beignets. And as with a few other things this trip they did not live up to the hype at all.

And with that I hopped on a bus and made my way back to my last park of this trip – Epcot. I still had a few countries left on my list to eat at all the booths of F&W.

First up though was the last class I had booked into – it was a gin class. This one wasn’t as fun as the one I had done earlier in the trip and I’m not sure I’d do it again.

Continued

Continued

I also had FPs booked for Epcot. I believe I used the one for Soarin but not the other two – I was tired and not really in the mood for rides that day.

I did that and then made my way to the Patagonia booth where I had the Beef Empanada.

And the last country I hadn’t yet tried was Japan – here I got the Grilled Spicy Edamame.

And with that I was done with F&W. The only booths I didn’t get anything from were the beer only booths and that’s because I don’t drink beer (Block & Hans, Brewers Collection) and Joffrey’s because I don’t drink coffee. Other than that, I had something at every single one. If you count that up, out of 35 booths I hit up 32 of them!

On my way out I stopped to take some night photos of Spaceship Earth as is required.

I made my way back to POFQ and picked up one last mickey cookie for the bus ride the next morning. I then went to sleep for the last time at Disneyworld. I had a super early morning DME pick up and an early flight over to LA.

Next up – Rushing to Sign in

Last edited:
I think I waited just over an hour for the seven dwarfs at MNSSHP but this was a whole other level of bored waiting!
Note to self... bring a book... and maybe a lawn chair.
He's clearly never been to Denver before - he'd freeze to death if he was cold in Florida.
:laughing: Send him up here!
No punching. But he may have been hypnotising me.....
"You will marry the next man who asks you..."
Average. And after a stupid long wait average is just not good enough.
Well... you've just not had any luck with fowl sammies.
Although that being said I will be back at MVMCP on this upcoming trip but its just for the park hours - no lining up for characters or anything this time!
::yes::
I just realised I have 5 days until I'm in Orlando and 11 chapters left in this TR which I want to wrap up before I go so apologies in advance but I'm going to have to rush through an post multiple updates to put this baby to bed!
:faint:
Then I headed over to lunch at HBD. This was one I was really looking forward too as it had been the hardest ADR to get.
Really? I'm surpri...
It wasn’t just normal lunch – it was dining with an Imagineer.
...oh.
Nevermind!
For lunch we had Roasted Tomato Soup.
mmmm….
The famous Cobb Salad (which I was really wanting to try). It was delicious.
Looks so good!
I believe I had the Fillet for my entrée.
You're batting 1000 here...
Crème Brulee (not a fan in general)
WHAT??????????
I had heard so much about the grapefruit cake but honestly, I thought it was horrible and bitter!
Hadn't heard of it, nor does it sound overly appealing.
Then I headed off to find my beignets. And as with a few other things this trip they did not live up to the hype at all.
Oh? That's too bad. Surprised by that, though.
First up though was the last class I had booked into – it was a gin class. This one wasn’t as fun as the one I had done earlier in the trip and I’m not sure I’d do it again
Meh. Gin.
That's a big empanada!
here I got the Grilled Spicy Edamame.
Yum!

Part 42 – Rushing to Sign In

Why did I have a stupid early flight? Because I had to make it to Anaheim by midday to collect my race packet for the half marathon the next day.

Once I landed at LAX I grabbed my bags and caught an uber straight to my hotel. I dropped off my bags and saw my Disney welcome pack.

I then made my way to the sign in location – just in time to pick up my pack!

After signing in and collecting everything I dropped everything back at the hotel and then walked to Disneyland (best part of Disneyland compared to Disneyworld – you can stay offsite and still walk to the park in less than 20 minutes – no busses!).

And soon I was standing in front of one of the best sites in the world – Disneyland.

I made my way in and took a few pics as I made my way back towards Frontierland (via Adventureland - but Indie was down :(

I picked up my fast pass for BTMRR (my favorite ride in the world - although I think HK is my favourite version of it) and then grabbed some lunch next door while I waited at Rancho Del Zocalo. I had the trio of street tacos.

After BTMRR I caught a showing of Mickey and the Magic Paintbrush as I’d never seen that here before.

And then I headed back to the hotel for an early night – I had to be up ridiculously early the next day for the race!

Next up – Avengers Half Marathon

Part 43 – Avengers Half Marathon

I was up at 4am that morning. I got dressed and ready for the race and then made my way over to start line. I was there at 5am and the race started at 5:30am.

This is going to be a pic heavy update as it’s hard to write about a race. I will say it was really well organized, ran through a great course (including an empty DCA) and I really enjoyed myself – I stopped and took the time this race to meet some characters as well.

I didn’t finish in my best time ever, but it was still a reasonable quick race of around 2 hours 15 mins.

Next up – Celebration Time

Part 44 – Celebration Time

After the race I headed back to my hotel – showered and changed and then got ready for the day.

I walked back over to the parks and headed into DCA.

I was starving by this point so after a ride on Radiator Springs Racers I headed over to Flo’s V8 for my post-race treat.

I had the French Dip and a Chocolate Milkshake (chocolate milk is actually one of the best post-race things you can have nutritionally!).

I then took some celebratory photos with my shiny new medal.

I checked out Bug’s Land for one last time and road Heimlich.

I walked around the pier and road California Screamin and then decided I needed a rest so headed back to the hotel for an afternoon nap.

After a few hours’ sleep I headed out for dinner and a friend had recommended Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles so that’s what I got. I must say I still don’t understand the combo, but it was pretty good fried chicken.

I then headed back into Disneyland.

I finally got to ride Pirates which had a ridiculous wait the day before – (oh hey redhead)

And I got to watch my beloved Tiki birds with a Dole Whip Float.

And I closed out the evening with a ride on hyperspace mountain and then a trip on autopia while watching the fireworks.

And that was it for my really long day (I think my Fitbit said something ridiculous like 48,000 steps that day). I crashed into bed and enjoyed my well-earned sleep.

Next Up – Last Day at Disney

Last edited:
Part 45 – Last Day at Disney

I didn’t mention earlier in this report but after the cruise the boy I had met and I had discussed meeting again. And this should tell you how much I liked him – I gave up a day at Disneyland and a day at Universal, plus my time in Vegas, to go visit him in Atlanta.

That meant today was my last day in Disney for this trip.

So, I headed over to the parks and got in this fun line – it was one of those lines where the line for DCA and Disneyland met in the middle and basically you were at the end of two lines!

But I had plans and I was in a rush, so it was annoying – thankfully I made it inside in time for my tour – Walking in Walt’s Footsteps.

I don’t have a lot of photos from the tour, but I really enjoyed it. We got backdoored onto a few rides like Alice, got to talk about how Walt shaped the park and best of all got to go inside the Dream Suite (which is located in New Orleans Square).

We had lunch on Main Street and I finally got to try the Matterhorn Macaroon.

After the tour ended, I headed back into Fantasyland to ride the attractions that are unique to Disneyland including Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride, Snow White and the Canal Boats.

I got to ride the Matterhorn which I remember loving as a kid, but it is just so jolty now I don’t think I could do it again.

I grabbed a quick meal in Tomorrowland for dinner – it was a Star Wars hamburger of some sorts and then rode Hyperspace Mountain one last time.

And then it was time to head over to DCA as I had tickets to the World of Color dessert party.

Continued

Continued

I made my way into DCA and down to Paradise Pier. I signed in for the party and then claimed my table to watch World of Color. This dessert party is not a buffet, and everyone gets one alcoholic drink and a plate of food. It was ok but it was worth it for the guaranteed seat (I think it was $49).

As it was November, we had the Christmas edition of World of Color – I like it but I don’t love it. I’m more of a fireworks kind of gal than a projection one.

And then that was it I headed back to the hotel and prepared for my flight the next morning.

Next up – Detouring to Atlanta

Last edited:
It's weird - I like custard in things like profiteroles but plain custard and creme brûlée - no way!
I'm just not sure if we can be friends anymore. :snooty:

;)
Why did I have a stupid early flight? Because I had to make it to Anaheim by midday to collect my race packet for the half marathon the next day.

You live dangerously...
(best part of Disneyland compared to Disneyworld – you can stay offsite and still walk to the park in less than 20 minutes – no busses!).
::yes:: And walk park to park, too.
And soon I was standing in front of one of the best sites in the world – Disneyland.
I believe that's "The happiest place on Earth"... not best site in the world.

But you were close.
I picked up my fast pass for BTMRR (my favorite ride in the world - although I think HK is my favourite version of it)
Oh! Why is it better in HK?
mmm... looks good.
After BTMRR I caught a showing of Mickey and the Magic Paintbrush as I’d never seen that here before.
I've been to DL twice but have yet to see this.
I was up at 4am that morning.
This is going to be a pic heavy update as it’s hard to write about a race.
That's okay. It's mostly a running gag, anyways.

:duck:
Love the top. Love the smile more. :)
You is one intent lady!
I didn’t finish in my best time ever, but it was still a reasonable quick race of around 2 hours 15 mins.
I think considering your travels up to that point, you could be forgiven!!

But... not to brag... but I could do it in less than 2 hours.

Of course that's the 1/8th marathon and not a half.... but still...
I had the French Dip
That does not look like a French dip!
I walked around the pier and road California Screamin
You won't be doing that again anytime soon... or ever...
The two in front of you!
After a few hours’ sleep I headed out for dinner and a friend had recommended Roscoe’s Chicken and Waffles so that’s what I got. I must say I still don’t understand the combo, but it was pretty good fried chicken.
K and I wanted to do this, but... we just ran out of time and opportunity.
<sigh>
and then a trip on autopia while watching the fireworks.
:laughing: That's one I hadn't heard before!
(I think my Fitbit said something ridiculous like 48,000 steps that day).
And this should tell you how much I liked him – I gave up a day at Disneyland and a day at Universal, plus my time in Vegas, to go visit him in Atlanta.
:eek:

Okay... you were already all set to marry him!
So, I headed over to the parks and got in this fun line – it was one of those lines where the line for DCA and Disneyland met in the middle and basically you were at the end of two lines!
Ugh. Yuck. Nope!
But I had plans and I was in a rush, so it was annoying – thankfully I made it inside in time for my tour – Walking in Walt’s Footsteps.
Oh, nice!
We got backdoored onto a few rides like Alice, got to talk about how Walt shaped the park and best of all got to go inside the Dream Suite (which is located in New Orleans Square).
So cool! I'd like to do that tour, I think. :)
I finally got to try the Matterhorn Macaroon.
Hmmm...
1. It looks pretty, but...
2. Macaroon? As in coconut?
I got to ride the Matterhorn which I remember loving as a kid, but it is just so jolty now I don’t think I could do it again.
You're the second person in recent days to say that. I think I may have to go without ever riding this.
1. tiny drink
2. the wheel in the background makes it look like it's the drink topper.
World of Color – I like it but I don’t love it. I’m more of a fireworks kind of gal than a projection one.
I liked it quite a bit. I'd never seen anything (on water) that elaborate before.

I'm just not sure if we can be friends anymore. :snooty:

:sad1:

You live dangerously...

That or I just like stressing myself out...

I believe that's "The happiest place on Earth"... not best site in the world.

Meh I think mines a little catchier 😉

Oh! Why is it better in HK?

I swear it feels a little faster in HK - maybe that's why?

I've been to DL twice but have yet to see this.

Let me take one for the team and tell you there is no need to see it.

I think considering your travels up to that point, you could be forgiven!!

But... not to brag... but I could do it in less than 2 hours.

Of course that's the 1/8th marathon and not a half.... but still...

:laughing:

That does not look like a French dip!

I've never had one before but that is what the menu called it I swear!

You won't be doing that again anytime soon... or ever...

I know but I do like the Incredibles so I think I'll like the new layover

K and I wanted to do this, but... we just ran out of time and opportunity.

I've been twice now and it's fine and the prices are reasonable but not my first choice when dining in LA

:laughing: That's one I hadn't heard before!

It was completely accidental timing but it was actually really cool to watch them from there.

So cool! I'd like to do that tour, I think. :)

I think you and most people on these boards would love it. And if I'm remembering correctly they were cheaper than tours at WDW.

Hmmm...
1. It looks pretty, but...
2. Macaroon? As in coconut?

Yep coconut ones. I know its not your favourite but they honestly taste 90% of sugar and only 10% coconut.

You're the second person in recent days to say that. I think I may have to go without ever riding this.

When I went as a kid I rode it multiple times - nowadays one was plenty even though I love the theming and everything else about the ride (including the hidden half basketball court!).

1. tiny drink
2. the wheel in the background makes it look like it's the drink topper.

Yep definitely not a dessert party to do if you were hungry or thirsty. I'd rather pay a bit more and do a buffet as you're stuck if you don't enjoy the options they give you.

I liked it quite a bit. I'd never seen anything (on water) that elaborate before.

I think there is just something about seeing fireworks behind a castle that can't be beat. Probably why my list at WDW would be HEA (or Wishes seeing as I haven't seen HEA yet), Illuminations (or Epcot Forever - again haven't seen the new one), Fantastic and then Rivers of Light.

Oh, okay. Don't be sad. We can be friends still.
That or I just like stressing myself out...
You're DH will just love this about you.
Meh I think mines a little catchier 😉
You should pitch it to them. Maybe they'll give you unlimited park passes and fast passes.
I swear it feels a little faster in HK - maybe that's why?
Ah.
Let me take one for the team and tell you there is no need to see it
:laughing: Okay! Thanks.
I've never had one before but that is what the menu called it I swear!
I've never seen one that isn't roast beef.
I've been twice now and it's fine and the prices are reasonable but not my first choice when dining in LA
Still wanna try it.
I think you and most people on these boards would love it. And if I'm remembering correctly they were cheaper than tours at WDW.
Cheaper is good.
Yep coconut ones. I know its not your favourite but they honestly taste 90% of sugar and only 10% coconut.
Ew.
1% is too much. I really do have a hyper-sensitivity to it.
There have been a few times where I've said "No thanks... there's coconut in it." Only to hear "No there isn't."
And they we look at the ingredients.
Chocolate, sugar, glucose/fructose, malt, Dexedrine...………… salt, natural flavours, coconut...
"AHA!!!"
(including the hidden half basketball court!).
Knew about that. ::yes::
I think there is just something about seeing fireworks behind a castle that can't be beat.
Agreed!
Probably why my list at WDW would be HEA (or Wishes seeing as I haven't seen HEA yet), Illuminations (or Epcot Forever - again haven't seen the new one), Fantastic and then Rivers of Light.
My list is similar... HEA, Fantasmic, Illuminations (only because I didn't really appreciate the low fireworks as much) and RoL a distant fourth.

You're DH will just love this about you.

He's the reason for most of my stress so I think he's well aware of it!

I've never seen one that isn't roast beef.

I had to go and find an old menu from 2016 but apparently it was called a Turkey Dip - so same sauce just different meat. And this one was a good one.

Ew.
1% is too much. I really do have a hyper-sensitivity to it.
There have been a few times where I've said "No thanks... there's coconut in it." Only to hear "No there isn't."
And they we look at the ingredients.
Chocolate, sugar, glucose/fructose, malt, Dexedrine...………… salt, natural flavours, coconut...
"AHA!!!"

That's what I'm like with coffee - people who say you can't taste coffee in chocolate cake when it's used to make it richer are liars. It's definitely still noticeable!

He's the reason for most of my stress so I think he's well aware of it!
:lmao:
I had to go and find an old menu from 2016 but apparently it was called a Turkey Dip - so same sauce just different meat. And this one was a good one.
Finally! A non-foul, fowl sandwich!
That's what I'm like with coffee - people who say you can't taste coffee in chocolate cake when it's used to make it richer are liars. It's definitely still noticeable!
I can have a little coffee in things. As long as it's not too over-powerful.

Part 46 – Detouring to Atlanta

I’m not going to share much about the next 3.5 days of the trip. One I didn’t take many photos and two it was mostly just spending time with my now DH rather than sightseeing so it’s not really interesting either.

But here’s a few pics to tide you over.

This is Ponce City Market in Atlanta which is an indoor market and rooftop games location. We played mini golf and watched the sunset from here.

Here are some boiled peanuts which are honestly disgusting – I’m sorry southerners but these are just slimy and nasty!

And finally, my goodbye breakfast at Waffle House!

I spent a nice few days with DH and it made it even harder to leave. He dropped me off at the airport and I flew back to LA and I spent the whole five-hour flight in tears because I thought I’d never see him again.

Next up – More LA and family time.

Part 47 – More LA and Family Time

I left Atlanta at lunch time and arrived in LA by 3pm. I took an uber back to my hotel near Universal and spent a few hours crying in my room before my brother who lives in LA picked me up to take me out to dinner.

We had a lovely meal with a cousin who lives in San Fran (and was visiting LA as well) at a restaurant my brother’s friend owned (my brother works in the restaurant industry).

It was nice catching up with my brother as we only get to see each other every few years now.

He drove me back to my hotel and I crashed into bed – I was exhausted.

Next up – Universal Hollywood.

Part 48 – Universal Hollywood

I warn you now, here is where the TR falls apart. Why? Because I was just depressed and thought I’d never see DH again and I basically couldn’t enjoy myself.

I really didn’t take pictures of many things.

I had been to UH before, but they have some things that Orlando no longer does. So, I focused on those.

I rode their version of HP (our Hogwarts is better) and then did the backlot tour (I love this to death!)

I explored their Simpsons area and got myself a smores donut to try and cheer myself up.

I watched the Special Effects Stage Show which is ok but not the most exciting thing in the world.

I headed down to the lower lot and rode my favorite ride and I am beyond sad they changed it – Jurassic Park (RIP). I hate Jurassic World and wish they would have just left it alone.

I headed out for dinner at their version of city walk and had a pizza at Blaze.

And then I went and saw a movie – I believe it was Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

And then I headed back to my hotel for my last night in the US.

Next up – Saying Goodbye

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter