Hotel Options with 2-1/2 Year Old Daugther

• Animal Kingdom Lodge - Club Level Savannah View

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge - Regular Room Savannah View

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • Yacht Club - Regular Room Boardwalk View

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters
After two trips with my 2 year old, one after just turning 2 and the other at exactly 2 1/2, I would want to be at the resort with the shortest commute to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Being able to walk home from a park is also a bonus. That's why I voted YC :-) Its more centrally located and in case you have to, you can stroller home from DHS or Epcot without waiting for or getting on any transport.

After two trips with my 2 year old, one after just turning 2 and the other at exactly 2 1/2, I would want to be at the resort with the shortest commute to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Being able to walk home from a park is also a bonus. That's why I voted YC :-) Its more centrally located and in case you have to, you can stroller home from DHS or Epcot without waiting for or getting on any transport.

Since we were originally not sure if we were going to have a car I originally booked YC but now not sure and maybe even leaning more towards AKL; though my mind still not sold yet one way or the other.

which floor is the lounge on and is there plenty of club level rooms with savannah view on that floor? If doing CL I would want to definitely be on the same floor and some what close to the lounge. Otherwise CL to me would probably not be worth the extra cost.

We have stayed with young girls at both resorts and I think you will be very happy at either. While YC has the sand area that is wonderful for toddlers, AK has the splash and play area which is equally wonderful.

What we did not like about YC was the lack of convenient quick service options. There are some options, but we found AKL much better for quick food for the kids. If you stay CL, that will be easier, but I'd don't think CL is necessary at AKL. There are quite a few food options at The Mara.

Of the two, we preferred AKL. It is such a unique, special place, and I would stay there over YC. Nonetheless, both are awesome and I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Do the club level rooms at AKL come with a microwave? Also, can you request a savannah view so not to get a pool view with a club level room?

The Mara has a microwave you can use. The resort may also have microwaves they can deliver to your room upon request. We asked for one when we were at BWI and within a half hour, one was delivered to our room. Now it was an old dinosaur and took up a lot of space, but we enjoyed popping and eating our corn.

The Mara has a microwave you can use. The resort may also have microwaves they can deliver to your room upon request. We asked for one when we were at BWI and within a half hour, one was delivered to our room. Now it was an old dinosaur and took up a lot of space, but we enjoyed popping and eating our corn.

I was not sure if you could have a microwave in the room at all

Is there a website to see the offerings that the club level lounge at AKL has and what floor is the lounge on?

Club level lounge is the sixth floor and overlooks the lounge. Food is good all day and staff is so helpful. Club level rooms are on floor four and five. Disney vacation club is on five and there are Disney vacation club rooms on floor six but I think they look over the pool mostly. You can rent points from a dvc club member. AKL club level was amazing when we went with our sixteen month old. We are deliberately going back next year either AKL cl or art of animation. Working out if we can justify the extra cost £2700 more over two weeks. We don't have the money but it was so good I don't know whether to just go for it and try and get extra work to pay for it. I wouldn't do that if it wasn't good. Never stayed at beach club so can't comment but the location appeals to me but less appealing for the kids when actually there. If you search kilimanjaro club animal kingdom lodge there are a couple of blogs of food offering with pictures, I think one is called a pinch of pixie dust is good.

What are the travel times from the parks to AKL vs travel times from the parks to YC? Just worried about booking AKL for the long travel times since will be going back to resort every day for an afternoon nap for our daughter.

What are the travel times from the parks to AKL vs travel times from the parks to YC? Just worried about booking AKL for the long travel times since will be going back to resort every day for an afternoon nap for our daughter.

From my notes, these are the averages from 2 stays at AKL and 3 at YC

AKL -> MK 18
AKL -> AK 5
AKL -> DHS 8
AKL -> Epcot 10

YC -> MK 11
YC -> AK 9
YC -> DHS boat 15 walk 20
YC -> Epcot walk 6

From my notes, these are the averages from 2 stays at AKL and 3 at YC

AKL -> MK 18
AKL -> AK 5
AKL -> DHS 8
AKL -> Epcot 10

YC -> MK 11
YC -> AK 9
YC -> DHS boat 15 walk 20
YC -> Epcot walk 6

Thanks dansdad. Which would you recommend staying at?

Thanks dansdad. Which would you recommend staying at?

You're welcome.

Wow, that's a tough one as we really enjoyed both of them. They are both awesome resorts so you can't go wrong with either one. I have a hard time giving my opinion on if one or the other would be better with a 2.5 yr old because we our son was in the toddler years we were only staying at Values. We didn't start staying at the Moderates and Deluxes until he was older. I would spend some time looking at recent youtube videos of each. Check out one that show the entire resort and ones that show the rooms. See if one jumps out at you more than the other. I can say with some confidence that your daughter will really enjoy either one so you should probably pick whichever one Mom and Dad like!

We stayed at AKL in one of the Savanna View rooms and the highlight of the day for my 5 year old was to run back to the room and see what was outside our balcony. It was amazing, but we did not have a car and were there for the Halloween events so for us the distance between MK and the resort was just to far away. Also, no balloons are allowed in the resort so if you bring one back from the park they will take it and hold it at bell services for you.

I would stay at AKL again when both the kids are a little older. This trip we are heading to the POLY since I have always wanted to stay at one of the monorail resorts and we tend to spend most of our time at the MK in the evenings. The pools though over at AKL are great, we went over to the villas one day and had fun at their pool since it was more of an interactive one for the little one but the one at the lodge was very relaxing at night.

Yes, I absolutely would. I think AKL has more for your toddler in terms of "wow" factor than YC does. I know YC gets a lot of hype for their pool, but I think your little one will be just as happy at AKL's pool and will get the extra excitement of the animals and my daughter LOVED the drumming lessons in the lobby when she was 2. We really enjoyed the club level offerings at AKL when we went, especially the beverages, so AKL Club Level gets my vote!
Megs1313 how long ago was the trip with your daughter when she was 2?

I will pick YC. With a kid that age, stroller and mid-day breaks, the ability to walk/boat to two of the parks outweighs anything else. This means you don't have to fold the stroller (if your kid is sleeping this is a godsend) and your midday breaks for DHS and Epcot will be super quick. You may also be able to enjoy a night at Epcot with your kid sleeping in the stroller. For a resort day you have the whole boardwalk area to explore as well. Tons of restaurants and other things to do. AKL theming is probably nice for little ones that love animals, but having to always get on the bus and have the longest commute to all parks except AK is a big downside (you have to add the time you WAIT for the bus, and it can be 20 minutes or more, plus you have to fold the stroller). Toddlers don't have much patience for the buses. Having done several trips with kids 9 months- 5 years, I will never again stay in a bus only resort without a car while midday breaks and strollers are necessary. We really enjoyed staying in the boardwalk area on our last trip, it really spoiled me to be honest. From now on and until we ditch the strollers we are either staying at the boardwalk or monorail resorts. At 2 and 1/2 MK will be your prime destination. My personal recommendation for that age will be a monorail resort actually, your will have easy access to the two parks you will visit the most. AKL is a great choice, once kids can get in and out of the buses by themselves IMO.

Last edited:
I will pick YC. With a kid that age, stroller and mid-day breaks, the ability to walk/boat to two of the parks outweighs anything else. This means you don't have to fold the stroller (if your kid is sleeping this is a godsend) and your midday breaks for DHS and Epcot will be super quick. You may also be able to enjoy a night at Epcot with your kid sleeping in the stroller. For a resort day you have the whole boardwalk area to explore as well. Tons of restaurants and other things to do. AKL theming is probably nice for little ones that love animals, but having to always get on the bus and have the longest commute to all parks except AK is a big downside (you have to add the time you WAIT for the bus, and it can be 20 minutes or more, plus you have to fold the stroller). Toddlers don't have much patience for the buses. Having done several trips with kids 9 months- 5 years, I will never again stay in a bus only resort without a car while midday breaks and strollers are necessary. We really enjoyed staying in the boardwalk area on our last trip, it really spoiled me to be honest. From now on and until we ditch the strollers we are either staying at the boardwalk or monorail resorts. At 2 and 1/2 MK will be your prime destination. My personal recommendation for that age will be a monorail resort actually, your will have easy access to the two parks you will visit the most. AKL is a great choice, once kids can get in and out of the buses by themselves IMO.
We will have a car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter