Best TS restaurant on monorail? and should I add Sanna to my list

irvinehouse

Earning My Ears
My DH and I are going to WDW for 8 days (9/27-10/4) for our 22nd wedding anniversary and we're on the free DDP. It's our first time without kids and about 8 years since our last visit.

Currently I have reservations at
Le Cellier (lunch)
Boma (dinner)
Yachtman Steakhouse on anniversary
Ohana's
Chef de France (thinking of dropping this one)
Jiko

I am tempted to add Sanaa but that would be 3 AKL restuarants. We ate at Boma on our last visit years ago and loved it. And we do like ethnic foods. Would you drop either Jiko or Boma and change it to Sanaa. Or are they all worth a visit?

Also what table service restaurant to you recommend for our MK visit that is outside the park. I don't like any of the options within the park, so on the monorail, which do you think is the best 1 credit TS option for dinner?

TIA,
Lisa

You have a few options, Kona and Ohana at the Poly, the Wave at the CR and the Grand Floridian Cafe (not sure if this one is open seasonally ) My personal favourites are Kona and the GF cafe.

I would definitely not drop Jiko for Sanaa. I love Sanaa, but Jiko is my favorite restaurant at Disney World. I think it's unmissable. I've never been to Boma as we don't care for buffets, so I can't objectively say that I would cancel Boma in favor of Sanaa.

For a 1TS restaurant on the monorail loop, you have lots of good dinner options. I would say that my favorite is the Kona Café, but we do not utilize the dining plan and prefer Kona's appetizers and sushi offerings to their entrées. Since you'll be limited to entrées and desserts, I recommend the Grand Floridian Café.

Kona Cafe is AMAZING. We've eatern here 6 years in a row and have never had a bad meal. DH always gets the Teriyaki Steak and loves it. My girls always get the prix fixe menu with coconut chicken as their entrees and are never disappointed. We love Kona way more than 'Ohana.

I would keep Jiko and Boma. Boma is one of our favorites. You already have Ohana so I would choose either Kona Cafe or GFC. Both are good but it depends on what kind of food you want.

My DH and I are going to WDW for 8 days (9/27-10/4) for our 22nd wedding anniversary and we're on the free DDP. It's our first time without kids and about 8 years since our last visit.

Currently I have reservations at
Le Cellier (lunch)
Boma (dinner)
Yachtman Steakhouse on anniversary
Ohana's
Chef de France (thinking of dropping this one)
Jiko

I am tempted to add Sanaa but that would be 3 AKL restuarants. We ate at Boma on our last visit years ago and loved it. And we do like ethnic foods. Would you drop either Jiko or Boma and change it to Sanaa. Or are they all worth a visit?

Also what table service restaurant to you recommend for our MK visit that is outside the park. I don't like any of the options within the park, so on the monorail, which do you think is the best 1 credit TS option for dinner?

TIA,
Lisa

If you like ethnic foods, I believe you will LOVE Sanaa. I would definitely add it. We have eaten there 2-3 times each during our last two trips. We only meant to go once each trip, but it was so good that we cancelled other ADRs to add more visits to Sanaa. The service is absolute perfection. No matter which server, he or she always made us feel as though we were the only people in the restaurant. The food is delicious--flavorful and fresh. The servers are knowledgeable about everything on the menu, and they take the time to explain, if you ask questions. Plus, the kitchen was very open to special requests. We always asked for a table by the wall of windows, and the animals were only a few feet from us. Once during a storm, the animals came running to the area outside our table. Sanaa is a beautiful restaurant with great food and service.

Kona used to be our favorite on the monorail loop. In 2008 and 2009, I had the best steak and the best potstickers there. Plus, their lunch sandwiches were outstanding.

The last two years, though, we have had bad food at Kona. The servers have been wonderful, but the food was just awful. I ordered a medium rare Teryaki Steak in August 2011 and only ate one bite. It was tough and the flavor was horrible. The server could tell that I didn't like it, and she wanted to bring me another entree. It was late at night, and we were tired, so I declined. She kept saying that she felt so bad about it, but it was okay. I filled up on the bread, which was delicious.

In the summer of 2010, I had ordered the fish tacos at Kona for lunch and sent them back because the fish was bad. Then, the server brought me a club sandwich and the tomatoes were rotten--they were actually slimy and had a terrible odor. I took them off the sandwich, but the bread was so dry that it almost choked me. I just left it on my plate. It wasn't a big deal, and I wasn't going to send back two entrees in one visit.

It's a shame because Kona had been one of our very favorites. We will keep trying--maybe it will be better next time.

My favorite on the monorail loop would have to be Ohanas, although the meat there is tough at times. Everything else they serve is outstanding though.

The Grand Floridian Cafe is okay. I like it better for breakfast or lunch. It is so pretty with the sun streaming in the windows. At dinner, it doesn't impress me as much.

The Wave is okay, too. I have read some bad reviews, but we have eaten there several times and never had a bad meal. Truthfully, none of the one-credit places on the monorail loop knock my socks off for food or service. The signature places are nicer (Narcoossee's and California Grill especially).

If it was me, and I was celebrating my anniversary, I would take the boat over to Fort Wilderness and see the Hoop Dee Doo Revue. I love their food and they make guests who are celebrating anniversaries feel very special. Plus, I love all the puns, corny humor, and music.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter