Best timeshare for pool/water fun?

kkleiner

Mouseketeer
We are going to exchange into a Interval resort for late April 2009 if we don't get the DVC exchange that Interval is searching for (2 bedroom that I know we have trading power into).

We have 3 children, ages 13,10,7 and obviously they love to swim, etc. Would Liki Tiki be a good option for us? How about that vs the Grande Vista or Cypress Harbor? On non park days we will probably hang out and swim.

Liki Tiki looks awesome with its mini water park option, but how hard is it to get to WDW from there, and is it clean, friendly?

I like the Mariott timeshares, but do either of those have a pool with water slide?

Thanks in advance - other suggestions are welcome!

Grande Vista and Cypress Harbour -- Marriotts are both great resorts. We stay at Cypress 2-3 weeks a year. The pools are nice, but there are no water park or slide features. Grande Vista has a new pool that has a mini water park features, cannons that shoot water, sprayers,ect. It is definately a more kid friendly pool. You might want to check out Marriott Horizons, it is across the street from Cypress Harbour, it is supposed to have the best pools for kids of all the Marriott time shares. Another option would be to book the Royal or Sabel Palms at the Marriott World Center -- the pool at the Palms is just ok, but you can use the World Center pool anytime.

Horizons has some pretty cool water slides, last trip the kids (not all mine) were from 8 to 15 stayed out on them till 11. The adults stayed a bit later :woohoo:. So far the kids liked Horizons the most of the places we stayed down there.

I'd suggest a DVC resort. As is typical of Disney, theming is a big deal at the main pool areas and slides seem to be a normal feature. There are quiet pools (non-themed, traditional pool) areas as well.

Orange Lake Country Club resort has a number of pools including the Splash Pool with a slide in the North Village and a new water park area including a lazy river in the River Island section of the resort.

As the previous poster indicated, the Cypress Harbour and Grande Vista Marriott's do not have the elaborate features of these other resorts but the pool areas are very nice. I haven't stayed at Horizons by Marriott but have walked through the property a few times while staying at Cypress Harbour, across the street. My impression is that while the water features are quite good they seem more appropriate for younger children. Your seven year old might like them but the 10 and 13 year olds may feel a little out of place. [Hey all of you Horizons lovers - and there any many - this is just my opinion. I do not have children that young.]

I've also never stayed at Liki Tiki but have heard mixed feedback about the resort. As with many resorts, the pictures may well look better than the reality.

Of these resorts, I'd rank the villas in this order:
DVCs/Cypress Harbour/Grande Vista (interiors of the DVCs and Marriotts are all very nice)
Horizons
Orange Lake (could be higher depending on which section you're assigned to)
Liki Tiki (based on the descriptions by the resort and comments from guests)

And I'd rank the water features in this order:
DVCs
Orange Lake
Cypress Harbour/Grande Vista (if with older children)
Horizons (if with younger children I'd rate this higher than CH/GV)
Liki Tiki

Liki Tiki is off Route 192 in Kissimmee and not far from Sherberth Road which accesses Disney property between the Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Animal Kingdom theme park. Orange Lake is also off Route 192 but a little closer to Disney than Liki Tiki.

Dick Taylor

My impression is that while the water features are quite good they seem more appropriate for younger children. Your seven year old might like them but the 10 and 13 year olds may feel a little out of place. [Hey all of you Horizons lovers - and there any many - this is just my opinion. I do not have children that young.]

I'd say I agree with that. The pool with the pirate ship is for the younger kids, and the pool on the other side with the water slides are pretty go as far as resort pool water sides go. Don't expect to see slides that are comparable to wet & wild or even the Nick hotel though.

Agreeing with others that the Marriott properties are probably nicer than Liki Tiki (never stayed, just also heard/read mixed reviews), so for the same exchange rate, go for a Marriott. Stayed at Horizons last fall, two very nice pools that would be kid-friendly. FWIW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter