Best time to go

TheGrrlGeek

Earning My Ears
Good day everyone.

I'm looking for some insight from other travelers with disabilities. Mom will definitely need a scooter as she has severe scoliosis and cannot walk long distance. My stepfather has MG and I have my own issues with a knee injury so we can all be considered disabled in Disney walking terms. Our plan is to stay at The Grand Floridian - it's always been mom's dream and she wants to stay before she's paralyzed and can't go. Because I have skin problems, we're looking for cooler months as even September and Florida don't work for me. We want to see the holiday parties; either Halloween or Christmas; but I'm thinking that the weeks of the actual holidays would be awful.

What are some of the best times to go between October - December 2019?

Jenn

Good day everyone.

That is the MOST popular season at WDW... if those are the dates you can go, then you will just have to make the best of your trip planning with 500,000 other people...

I would lean October, but those 3 months in 2019 are high risk for crowds at a level unseen before with the opening of Galaxy's Edge. Traditionally, the week before Thanksgiving is pretty slow. We went the first week of November this year and overlapped the Wine and Dine marathon on one end and Jersey week on the other. It wasn't bad.

I would go look at the hotel prices at Disney when the price are cheeped the crowds tend to be less going the two weeks around Christmas and New Years and the week around thanksgiving will be the most crowded ( New Year Eve is the most crowded of the year)

My guess would be the first week of December the first week of November would not be insanely crowded but no one knows when Star Wars land will open and this will bring people to Disney

That is the MOST popular season at WDW... if those are the dates you can go, then you will just have to make the best of your trip planning with 500,000 other people...

She really, really wants to see either the Halloween Decorations or the Christmas Decorations. I have to go in the cooler (if there really are any in Florida) months for health reasons. As we don't know what her health will be like year to year, I really want to make it possible for her. I told her no to Thanksgiving and no to Christmas Weeks, but I was hoping something would be less crazy than the week between Christmas and New Years. We did that about twenty years ago and it was insane then.

I would lean October, but those 3 months in 2019 are high risk for crowds at a level unseen before with the opening of Galaxy's Edge. Traditionally, the week before Thanksgiving is pretty slow. We went the first week of November this year and overlapped the Wine and Dine marathon on one end and Jersey week on the other. It wasn't bad.

I'll let her know we might want to look either the first week or second week of November.

Thank you both for your insights. :sunny:

Keep in mind that we don't know exactly when Star Wars Galaxy's Edge will open, that will have a big impact. Based on the newly released free dining I think Disney has seen a reduction in booking and is trying to fill the parks up before it opens, my gut says sometime in November.

My last trip was a couple days after Thanksgiving going into the first week of December. I thought it was the best of all possible worlds. Crowds were absolutely manageable, even low on some days in some parks. Temperatures were pleasant during the day and even chilly some nights. I wore long pants most days and kept a hoodie with me, and was really comfortable. Plus, holiday decorations were up, and the Candlelight Processional and MVMCP were charming.

(There was also free dining that year, but I can't say whether it will be available when you go.)

Definitely be wary of Star Wars opening. I think anything historical for those months won't reflect this year. That's why, even though we usually go in November, I recommended looking at October. By November I think the chances of dealing with SW increase dramatically.

I'd pretty much write off going to Hollywood Studios any time within the first 6 months of SW opening. It will be horrible.

Opening day for Star was land will be crazy maybe the week. But I think Hollywood can be doable if you do not go opening week
Do not do rop drop have FP for the rides you want or the show and think of leaving before the fireworks go off or be close to the front of the park maybe watch them from out side the park.

I went early December a couple of years ago and it was fine - Pop Warner was wrapping up (that won't affect the GF at all - they don't stay there). Crowds were manageable. The weather is also somewhat iffy but the chances are it won't be hot. I don't know if you'd consider January but that Arts festival at Epcot looks like fun. The beginning of Flower and Garden might be a nice time to go also. I also love the party time of Halloween and Christmas - I'd probably go just before Thanksgiving or just after cause I'd want to make sure all the Christmas stuff is going and the gingerbread house is up at the GF, etc. That sounds absolutely lovely actually - lol - can I join you? ;)

I agree about Star Wars and the insanity that will cause. Perhaps book a couple of different weeks with one of them being earlier than you'd like perhaps - just in case you want options as the time gets closer.

I agree with the previous posters. This year will be impossible to judge.

Last year there were days after Thanksgiving and mid-December that had free dining offered. Free dining is being offered right now from after the 4th of July to the end of September. Free dining at the Grand Floridian would give you the regular dining plan that includes a table service dining meal each day for each of you. The only problem is with Star Wars coming they may not offer free dining at the same time as last year. Disney will perhaps figure they will come without a dining offer because of Star Wars. This would be a wait and see game. If you could get free dining I sure would do it when available.

Starting with Thanksgiving week the Christmas holiday begins everywhere. I really think your parents would love being there more for that time then Halloween. You have special holiday programs that they will love like the Candlelight Processional in Epcot, for example. I would go right after Thanksgiving for Christmas. The Grand Floridian for Christmas time is the best resort in my opinion. There are concerts every day with holiday music in the lobby to enjoy. There's an adult size gingerbread house, too. You can watch the Magic Kingdom fireworks from the dock there.

You might want to consider two scooters and share one with your dad or whoever may need one more.

I would go in the beginning of December. Avoid September, it is actually not even close to cooler that time of year. It is still very very hot and humid. It starts to cool down at the end of October. You are going to have to decide what is most important, seeing the holiday decorations or going when it is cooler and less busy. If you really want it cooler, then go in January.

Opening day for Star was land will be crazy maybe the week. But I think Hollywood can be doable if you do not go opening week
Do not do rop drop have FP for the rides you want or the show and think of leaving before the fireworks go off or be close to the front of the park maybe watch them from out side the park.

With the buzz I'm getting from non-Disney lovers, but huge SW lovers, it's going to be crazy much longer than a week. People have blocked out vacation time, etc. It's quite a large event, much larger than Pandora, New Fantasyland and Toy Story Land combined.

You would miss the holidays, but another traditionally quiet time of year is late January / early February as long as you miss a holiday weekend or the runDisney races. But as others have said late 2019 into early 2020 is pretty up in the air right now.

Good day everyone.

I'm looking for some insight from other travelers with disabilities. Mom will definitely need a scooter as she has severe scoliosis and cannot walk long distance. My stepfather has MG and I have my own issues with a knee injury so we can all be considered disabled in Disney walking terms. Our plan is to stay at The Grand Floridian - it's always been mom's dream and she wants to stay before she's paralyzed and can't go. Because I have skin problems, we're looking for cooler months as even September and Florida don't work for me. We want to see the holiday parties; either Halloween or Christmas; but I'm thinking that the weeks of the actual holidays would be awful.

Jenn

We went the week after Thanksgiving one year and it was amazing - everything was done up in decorations but there were very few people there, at least after that Monday. I'm told by my AP friends that the following week (first full week of December) is even better as far as crowds go. We were able to do one of the parties, we spent one day touring around different hotels to see their decorations, it was a fantastic time to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!