Best time of year to buy direct?

Cfabar1

DIS Veteran
Is there a best time of year to buy direct for existing owners? Our guide had mentioned once to us the fall is the best time to buy, was unsure if she was just trying to push a sale, or if that was true. Is there a set pattern?

It could have been mentioned about fall because MFs are prorated by calendar year so you don’t pay for the full year, regardless of what your UY is and what points you are getting.
I bought some direct add-on this week, split the down payment, and I'm pretty sure I won't see any 2022 fees on the points as the closing date will be after Jan 1. Even if I do, what are dues on three weeks? LOL

I bought some direct add-on this week, split the down payment, and I'm pretty sure I won't see any 2022 fees on the points as the closing date will be after Jan 1. Even if I do, what are dues on three weeks? LOL

The dues are from the date you sign the contract, not closing date…but yes, three weeks is not too much.

But, this reminds me to check my dues since I have to pay my new VGF dues for my Dec UY for the month!

The dues are from the date you sign the contract, not closing date…but yes, three weeks is not too much.

But, this reminds me to check my dues since I have to pay my new VGF dues for my Dec UY for the month!
Yes, I know they typically do, but with three weeks left, it will be interesting to see how how they bill me. I'm going to be curious to see how they work that out on a contract that I can't access until after I close and after the new year, and therefore can't pay dues if I wanted to (and obviously would need the pro-rated bill to do so). We'll see how their "here's the bill for your points from last year" letter actually reads. It's a whopping $27.91 for the 25 days.

Yes, I know they typically do, but with three weeks left, it will be interesting to see how how they bill me. I'm going to be curious to see how they work that out on a contract that I can't access until after I close and after the new year, and therefore can't pay dues if I wanted to (and obviously would need the pro-rated bill to do so). We'll see how their "here's the bill for your points from last year" letter actually reads. It's a whopping $27.91 for the 25 days.

I bought RIV in October and didn’t close until January, and the resort opened in Decembe.

I was able to use my points for a Dec trip that started during the week of opening even was billed from opening date…a month before the closing

Usually when you buy direct, the points are in your account within a few hours, and you can use them even though you haven’t closed yet. Didn’t your new points show up already?

Usually when you buy direct, the points are in your account within a few hours, and you can use them even though you haven’t closed yet. Didn’t your new points show up already?
Yes, the points were there immediately. My point was I split the deposit/payment into two installments, so the contract won’t close and appear on my dashboard or dues statement until after the close, which will be after the new year.

Even if I wanted to pay the 2022 dues on the contract now, I couldn’t and won’t be able to until well into 2023. Just curious to see what the retroactive bill will say. By the time I do get a bill for 2022, 2023 dues will already be due. LOL

Last edited:
Yes, the points were there immediately. My point was I split the deposit/payment into two installments, so the contract won’t close and appear on my dashboard or dues statement until after the close, which will be after the new year.
Oh, you can’t use the points yet? I thought that was one of the benefits of buying direct, being able to use the points before official close. And that’s why you owe dues for the time before close.

Oh, you can’t use the points yet? I thought that was one of the benefits of buying direct, being able to use the points before official close. And that’s why you owe dues for the time before close.
Pretty sure they meant that they couldn't use the points right away because of personal reasons or availability issues, not that you are unable to use points right away (because you are allowed to book/use those points as soon as you get them, at least I've done that).

You’re totally missing the point. The points were loaded and available and banked into 2023 already. Again, my curiosity surrounds when I will get a bill for the dues on those 2022 points because the dues statement and balance, not the points, usually takes several weeks to update (typically says “Pending” until it updates) in my dashboard and THAT will likely be after the 2023 bills are sent out (in a a week or so). I’m other words I’ll be getting a bill for 2022 Acer the 2023 bills are sent out.

If I tried to pay the bill on those dues right now, I couldn’t because there’s no balance showing yet.

Just to add: they deposit the points as a courtesy before you even complete the paperwork. All the paperwork if you pay in full, can be done the same day, but if you finance or pay in two or three installments, then closing can take weeks. The contract will show in your dashboard right away too, but calculating dues isn’t immediate.

You’re totally missing the point. The points were loaded and available and banked into 2023 already. Again, my curiosity surrounds when I will get a bill for the dues on those 2022 points because the dues statement and balance, not the points, usually takes several weeks to update (typically says “Pending” until it updates) in my dashboard and THAT will likely be after the 2023 bills are sent out (in a a week or so). I’m other words I’ll be getting a bill for 2022 Acer the 2023 bills are sent out.

If I tried to pay the bill on those dues right now, I couldn’t because there’s no balance showing yet.
Oh, you’re right, I completely misunderstood. I thought you were complaining about having to pay dues for a period of time when you couldn’t use the points. I completely misunderstood! Have to stop watching old movies on TV when I read DISboards!

They will simply add it to your account shortly after your close. IIRC, it was simply added to my account and listed as a balance due from 2019...and I was given about 30 days to pay it. And, yes, I got my 2020 bill before I got this 2019 bill since my closing occurred after the bills went out.

So to clarify, if you have a say, March use year, a good time to buy would be January, because they would give you the points that are about to expire in March for free?

Can you bank those points, or do you have to use them up by March 1?

So to clarify, if you have a say, March use year, a good time to buy would be January, because they would give you the points that are about to expire in March for free?

Can you bank those points, or do you have to use them up by March 1?
They’re bankable even though it’s past your banking window.

Oh, you’re right, I completely misunderstood. I thought you were complaining about having to pay dues for a period of time when you couldn’t use the points. I completely misunderstood! Have to stop watching old movies on TV when I read DISboards!
9CC54D6C-C30B-4924-BA6E-C97A44CD6319.jpeg
To close, this is what I was curious about. With the split down payment, the closing date will be well into 2023, so I won’t see the bill for my pro-rated 2022 dues until after 2023 dues are already due. It will be a small amount, but I was curious how they process delayed dues billing when it runs into the following calendar year. That’s all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter