Best route to Disney once in FL if driving

Donald Duck888

DIS Veteran
I have driven to Disney a few times in the past and have always done the I95 to I4 route once in FL to get there. With as much as I have been hearing of I4 being a nightmare of late I was thinking of trying, (if we drive), I95 down to 528 then to 417 instead. I know it looks a bit longer distance wise then the I4 route but i thought it might be less traffic so as to end up being faster.

Has anyone tried this route? Any other suggestions for avoiding I4?

Thanks.

What time of day do you expect to be hitting the Orlando area? If its mid-day I'd just stick with I-4 all the way through. Keep in mind that if you decide on the I-95 to 528 route you are adding significant extra miles and time to your drive.

Instead of I-95 to SR-528 to SR-417, you can get on SR-417 from I-4 in the Sanford area (north of Orlando). During rush hour, SR-417 is just as bad as I-4.

FYI, CFX is working on SR-417 between SR-528 and International Drive to add an additional travel lane in each direction.

Instead of I-95 to SR-528 to SR-417, you can get on SR-417 from I-4 in the Sanford area (north of Orlando). During rush hour, SR-417 is just as bad as I-4.

FYI, CFX is working on SR-417 between SR-528 and International Drive to add an additional travel lane in each direction.
So it sounds like there is really no way to avoid the mess i guess.

Navigation with traffic such as Google maps will give you real time guidance. There is a option to avoid toll roads. Click off if you're willing to take a toll road to save time
Agreed - the real-time nav updates available through a Google maps have really improved over the years. It would tell you the most efficient way to go as you get closer - if you're planning to use it.

Click off if you're willing to take a toll road to save time.

As a heads up I think toll roads are on by default. If someone wants to avoid them they would need to disable them being in the search options.

Maybe this has changed for newer members though as I have had all of this for over a decade and been using Android Auto from basically when it launched (that was when I switched from iOS Google Maps to Android devices).

It most-likely would be late morning to early afternoon. Also would be on a Saturday if that makes any difference.
That time of day, especially on a Saturday, is actually a pretty good time to stick with I-4. Its not great, but the alternatives won't really help significantly.

As a heads up I think toll roads are on by default. If someone wants to avoid them they would need to disable them being in the search options.

Maybe this has changed for newer members though as I have had all of this for over a decade and been using Android Auto from basically when it launched (that was when I switched from iOS Google Maps to Android devices).
But at some point in time a user may have selected the option and neglected to turn it off

I always use 417 around Orlando. Been doing it for years. It might be better now with the pay to play lanes on the east side but I've never used them. If we're on 95s and coming across I4 we're on our way home. You won't have to get into it, but it's always a crap show where 417 merges onto 4 west. We always seem to just putter at 5mph from there to the Champions Gate exit. Again, you won't have a problem unless you're heading west to Tampa.

It’s funny.. I always hear and read about the I-4 and how it’s so bad but other then some congestion the odd time I have never really had problem and we don’t even think to avoid using it.. we usually end up going through Orlando any time between 10am and 3pm.. maybe that has something to do with it?.. hopefully I didn’t just jinx myself when driving down there in a few weeks

You could take the 414 to the 429, especially if you’re staying on the west side of property. Of course then you pay tolls.
I'm planning to go this way my next trip down. Staying west of Disney and have an E-Z Pass.

You can duck into Disney property on Western Way and avoid the I-4 / Disney Springs area mess on a Saturday.

You could take the 414 to the 429, especially if you’re staying on the west side of property. Of course then you pay tolls.
Just to add to this, that stretch of 414 is much improved over what it had been. There is still a stretch (5 miles?) where its not an actual highway but instead a 4 lane road with some intersections.

I have done the 528 to I-95 from Orlando to Jacksonville, to visit family. I agree that I-4 can be hit or miss on the weekend, and would recommend avoiding the bulk of it from north of downtown through the attractions.

Now that they have completed another section of the 429, I agree that taking I-95 to I-4, and then getting on either 417 or 429 north of Orlando, would allow you to bypass the worst of it. Yes, there are tolls, but for the most part you will be moving at a reasonable rate of speed and can access Disney easily from either.

Another alternative if you decide to take I-4 all the way is to use the new Express Lanes. However, there is a toll to use these, and you won’t be bypassing all of the congestion either. In my opinion, they should have built the Express Lanes as far south as 192, since many days the worst of the congestion is between 528 and Osceola Parkway. Right now, the express lanes cut off around the 528, dumping you back into the worst of it when headed towards Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter