Best resorts for a quick evening visit?

TikiWiki33

Earning My Ears
Hi all! I peeked around for a similar thread but couldn't find anything; sorry if this is a duplicate.

For our upcoming trip, MK is closing at 6pm on the 2 days we plan to go (for MNSSHP). Not a problem with us, but that leaves a couple of evenings open. For one we have plans to visit the Contemporary for a look-see and dinner (splurging a bit on Steakhouse 71.) Is there another resort you would recommend for the other evening? Preferably with decent counter service?

Fyi, We're staying at AKL and it's just us 2 adults. This is only our 2nd trip to the World, so we haven't seen most resorts! And don't worry, we have an "off" day just for Disney Springs, lol.

Last edited:
Hi all! I peeked around for a similar thread but couldn't find anything; sorry if this is a duplicate.

For our upcoming trip, MK is closing at 6pm on the 2 days we plan to go (for MNSSHP). Not a problem with us, but that leaves a couple of evenings open. For one we have plans to visit the Contemporary to look around/have dinner. Is there another resort you would recommend for the other evening? Preferably with decent counter service?

Fyi, We're staying at AKL and it's just us 2 adults. This is only our 2nd trip to the World, so we haven't seen most resorts! And don't worry, we have an "off" day just for Disney Springs, lol.
I would check out the Epcot resorts. Just walking around Crescent Lake in the evening can be relaxing but the resorts are very interesting. Make sure that you check out the Boardwalk lobby! BC has decent, but not amazing, counter service. I would jump on the Skyliner and eat at Riviera's Primo Piatto.

Boma, if you haven't already scheduled it. Possibly the best restaurant in all of WDW. Also, Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar at Disney Springs. Good to watch the Amphicars come and go.

Boma, if you haven't already scheduled it. Possibly the best restaurant in all of WDW. Also, Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar at Disney Springs. Good to watch the Amphicars come and go.
Headed over to Boma the night we arrive. It's going to be great!

Bobotie. That stuff is absolutely delicious. Mrs. wabbott has duplicated the recipe. She does Zebra Domes, too!!

I second the idea of going to the Boardwalk area. You can visit Beach club, Yacht Club, Boardwalk Inn, plus Non-Disney Swan and Dolphin. The Fountain inside the Dolphin is a nice alternative to counter service. https://swandolphin.com/dining/fountain/

Sitting on the Boardwalk is so relaxing after a day of busy parks. Finally, if you stay long enough, you can watch the fireworks from EPCOT from the bridge that connects the Boardwalk to the Beach Club. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful trip!

I'm a big fan of the Crescent Lake/Boardwalk area, as others have mentioned. But if you're looking for another MK resort, Wilderness Lodge gives you the opportunity to take a boat, great atmosphere, and a few lounges. A visit to the Poly, a dole whip and a spot on the beach for the Electrical Water Pageant is also great.

I'm a big fan of the Crescent Lake/Boardwalk area, as others have mentioned. But if you're looking for another MK resort, Wilderness Lodge gives you the opportunity to take a boat, great atmosphere, and a few lounges. A visit to the Poly, a dole whip and a spot on the beach for the Electrical Water Pageant is also great.
Agree on taking the boat to WL, head over there and give Geyser Point a try. One of my favorite places to eat. It's right on the water and find the prices to be reasonable (by Disney standards).

I like the food at Poly, you may even be able to catch the party fireworks from the beach. You can get most of the same items from Ohana at the Tambu Lounge or Kona Cafe to go. Captain Cooks (QS) is also decent.

The only Disney restaurant I would go to for food is Jaleo in Disney Springs.

For experience, the WL has the Artist Point dinner with Snow White and the Evil Queen, if you're into that. The food was good, and it's at a resort so you don't need a ticket. The boat to WL is pretty neat and maybe something you wouldn't see otherwise. bus to MK (or already there?), boat to WL. I'd probably Uber from WL to AKL.

This can be a tough booking, but people do drop it the day before, and you can sign up for notices.

The other obvious choice is Trader Sam's. So much fun. WIth two adults, I'd be willing to wait an hour for that, if I had a free evening.

I'd 2nd (3rd?) the lovely boat ride from MK to Wilderness Lodge!

Check out the menu online for Geyser Point - everything we've eaten there has been tasty. Have a delicious dinner at the covered patio overlooking the lake, then wander around the gorgeous Lodge. Stop into the adjacent Boulder Ridge DVC building and see the memorabilia from Walt Disney's family, including some of the little ride-on working train set he once had in his backyard. Such a beautiful resort, especially in the evening. If you opt not to spend the evening at WL, consider going over for a shorter visit anyway after your dinner at Steakhouse 71.

After your return to MK, you may like to loop around on the monorail before returning to your resort. Or maybe ride on the other small resort boats (MK->GF->Poly->MK) if you enjoy being on the water at night with the beautifully lit resorts and MK on the shoreline. The MK resort boats are generally smaller and a bit more peaceful than the larger friendship boats between the Epcot resorts.

If you like AK, WL lobby has a very similar style lobby but on a smaller scale and a completely different theme. WL is by far one of the best themed resorts and has good CS options. Geyser point has a CS counter as well as a bar area with service. The CS has less options but if you don’t want service a great option. The BW area is nice but has very little to offer in the way of CS with the rumored Pizza window huge price increase.... everything else is standard and very little seating anywhere. Personally make a lot of time to spend on the main viewing area at AK.

Right, the most impressive lobbies of WDW resort hotels, IMO, are:
AKL - the main lobby is 4 stories high inside (3rd floor of 6 story building) with African-inspired architecture and theme.
GF - the main lobby is 5 stories high inside (1st floor of 5 story building) with Victorian gingerbread "woodwork" and theme.
WL - the main lobby is 6 stories high inside (2nd floor of 7 story building) with western, National Parks-inspired architecture and theme.

AKL & WL each used to offer a free tour at their resort in the afternoons, to guests of any WDW resort, which highlighted their beautiful, authentic art works (African or Native American, respectively), as well as the craftsmanship that went into the designs and building of these two gorgeous resorts. Idk if these are still offered or not.

At WL, ask at the front desk for the WL Hidden Mickey Hunt list. At least look for one somewhere on the face of the massive lobby fireplace chimney.
Check out the 120′ tall Fire Rock Geyser between the main pool area and the lake - it erupts every hour.
Look for the extra sitting areas with a quiet fireplace, overlooking the lobby from the 5th floor.
Note how the rock spring in the lobby "flows" out through the courtyard to the main pool area.
Plenty to explore here, especially pretty in the evening.

WL wasn't on my radar, but it sounds beautiful! Bonus: my husband has been on the fence about spending extra time at a resort (he's a ride/eat/sleep fella) , BUT he's Native American, so I think you guys have piqued his interest with WL. If nothing else we'll get some good pictures to send to his family!

This suggestion will be an outlier, but consider taking a bus to Coronado. The grounds are beautiful and the Gran Destino Tower is fun to explore if the weather is iffy. Three Bridges and Dahlia are both great place for drinks and food, or consider springing for Toledo - so yum. At Epcot fireworks time, you can sit out on Dahlia’s deck to watch. Uber (or Minnie Van) back to AKL - it’s a fairly short ride. Of course, you could also take a bus to Disney Springs for ice cream before heading to AKL.

Yeeha Bob Jackson at the River Roost Lounge @ Port Orleans Riverside. I haven't seen his show since pre-covid, but I remember it being a fun evening! And you could take a relaxing boat ride to / from Disney Springs.

Resorts along the Boardwalk are really neat. If I may offer an alternative opinion, Port Orleans Riverside has Yeehaa Bob, and that's a can't miss. Our plan for our upcoming trip is to hit French Quarter for the beignets, then walk the path over from French Quarter to Riverside, where we'll catch the show.

I think it depends on how much time you want to spend out and about, too. To fill up a full evening, Epcot resort area because you can walk around and see a bunch of resorts and plenty of QS choices. If you want something just quick and easy, on the second night when you leave MK, take the resort ferry and visit both GF and Poly briefly and opt to eat/drink at one of them. I love buying Dole Whips at Poly and I think both of them have fun gift shops. This won’t take as long and you good get back to your own resort and enjoy more time at AKL. With the savanna, just spending some time watching the animals is worth it and they have some nice resort activities. We find some much to do at AKL itself, we would want some down time at that resort.

I agree with others, boat over to WL and wander around then eat at Geyser Point, if it's running you might even take the boat from there over to the Fort and go look at the horses. I'm not sure what time the barn closes so you would need to check that before hand.

I also agree the BW/YC/BC/Swan/Dolphin area is nice. I stay there every trip so it's not somewhere I'd visit but each have a nice lobby and I second the Fountain at the Dolphin. It's not fancy, just a sandwich ice cream place, sort of like Beaches and Cream without the hoopla. There really aren't many QS options in that area other than the Dolphin, I'm not sure if their QS location (Picabu) would be open. Lately it hasn't been open every day of the week. There are some great bars in the BW area and you can get food at the YC, it's just not QS. BellVue Lounge at BW is one of our favorite lounges on property. It's small and they don't serve food but we have always had good service and a relaxing time there. I think Big River Grill is still open on BW and while not QS and not real Disneyish the food isn't bad and I've never had any trouble getting a table. If you like craft beer it's pretty good.

If you go to the Swan/Dolphin area, the Swan has Kimono, which might be the only karaoke bar on property if you're into that sort of thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter