best plan for training after illness?

r2d2_runner

Earning My Ears
I was doing so good with my training plan ... I had been taking things really slowly and building up my running since May with the goal to run my first half marathon in mid-January (Star Wars Light Side). However, the last couple of weeks I have been really sick and not been able to run at all :( After consulting with my doctor it will be at least another week before I can get back to my training. So, I will have about 2-3 weeks of training left before my big race. I had previously gotten to a 10 mile long run and my training plan would have had me peaking at 12 miles a week before the race. My question is: given the multi-week break from running and the big race coming up soon, what is my best strategy for returning to training (once I am well enough)? Should I just jump back into my training plan where I left off (i.e. with an 11 mile long-run the first week)? Or should I be taking things more slowly but with the understanding that this strategy will probably not give me enough time to get my long-runs back up to 10+ miles? I want to be as prepared as possible for my first half marathon but I also don't want to injure myself by doing too much too soon. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Is there a "best-practice" for this kind of thing?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice!

With 2-3 weeks, I would only drop my long run by a few miles and keep on truckin'. You will have lost a little fitness, so anticipate the need to run a little slower.

With 2-3 weeks, I would only drop my long run by a few miles and keep on truckin'. You will have lost a little fitness, so anticipate the need to run a little slower.

Thank you! That is really good advice about needing to run a bit slower. I always forget to slow down so I need to remember this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter