Best MOTION sickness preventative??

paysensmom

DIS Veteran
I get motion sick on everything. Even a regular swing on a playground. I really want to ride all of the coasters at Universal and Disney. Does anybody know of something that works for real? Dramamine does NOTHING for me and niether does Ginger

Everyone is different, but Bonine really helps my sister.

Look in to Scapolamine patches. They are prescription but they are small patches worn behind the ear and I have heard they really work for motion sickness but causes a really dry mouth so keep hard candy on hand. Ask your doctor about them!

i have Meniere's disease and take 100-50 mg of Antivert daily when vertigo hits me. Antivert usually can start to improve the vertigo within 48 hours for me.

Antivert is only available by a script.
it's generic form, meclizine, never worked for me.

i read a lot from the boards that meclizine and other otc products that have been helpful for others. i'm not sure the amount you would have to take for its effectiveness though.

my vertigo will occur at no particular time.
i've been lucky and have not had any issues with vertigo in doing the rides.
but, i always have my meds with me as there is always the first chance.

if you get vertigo / motion sickness all the time, i suggest you see a doctor.

get checked out medically and see what is the cause of your vertigo.
chances are, there are treatments or meds that can help you.

i was miserable until i started meds to help ease the situation.

Antivert is only available by a script.
it's generic form, meclizine, never worked for me.

That's very interesting because Antivert Rx strength is 25mg and it's only active ingredient is meclizine which over the counter is also 25mg? Perhaps it's the inactive/fillers that you respond too?

Are you actually able to get Antivert in your area? Our pharmacies quit carrying it when it went OTC. I buy my meclizine in the 100 count bottle at Costco for $5.00...love the chewable form as it kicks in quicker when I'm on a cruise or flying.

OP: If you try the Transderm Patch route be sure to do a test run before your trip.

Dry mouth is an understatement! I couldn't even swallow as my saliva production stopped with the patch on.

Another not so pleasant side effect was the triple blurry vision and I don't even wear corrective lenses! I had to have the waiter read the menu to me at lunch!!

Good luck...I hope you find something that works for you.

all the pharmacies honor antivert scripts in my area.

never had an issue getting it filled.

antivert is now available OTC:confused:what brand name?

i use the patch when sailing, none of the side effects thank goodness

suggestion to not close your eyes when getting dizzy/etc. on a ride. instead find a non-moving spot on the ride (think inside of the car, support rail, etc) & fix ur gaze upon it...works for me:thumbsup2

I like Sea Bands. You can get them at any Walgreens or CVS. They work for me and are natural. They're also not a medicine.

I've had good luck with the pill form of the scopalamine patch. Still have to pace myself and not do back-to-back intense rides, but I rode The Mummy three times in a row and was fine.

antivert is now available OTC:confused:what brand name?

i use the patch when sailing, none of the side effects thank goodness

suggestion to not close your eyes when getting dizzy/etc. on a ride. instead find a non-moving spot on the ride (think inside of the car, support rail, etc) & fix ur gaze upon it...works for me:thumbsup2

it is not available as otc.
a script is needed to get antivert. it's a brand name.

I have chronic migraines that present with morning dizziness. I find that a one, two punch of Bonine (recommened my my neuro) and ginger keep them at bay (even with a ride on the Mummy)

thanx that's what i thought, strong stuff couldn't imagine it being OTC, must've misread one the posts here:confused:

I don't presume to be an expert on these matters, but it does appear that this drug is availabe OTC from Amazon here.

On a side note, this thread has been very educational. I have never thought of taking anything for the motion sickness that the motion simulator rides at Orlando parks cause. I suffered through it for BTTF when it was around, but for the most part avoided others such as Mission Space and Star Tours, which is a shame because they're really great rides. I'm going to have to try some of this stuff on my next visit. Maybe then I won't want to puke when my wife makes me ride the Harry Potter ride a dozen times.

Our son gets motion sickness on rides like Mission Space. This is our first time going to Universal. Can anyone recommend a non drowsy medication? I know a lot have been mentioned above, but which ones are non drowsy?

Thanks!

Our son gets motion sickness on rides like Mission Space. This is our first time going to Universal. Can anyone recommend a non drowsy medication? I know a lot have been mentioned above, but which ones are non drowsy?

Thanks!

Bonine is non-drowsy, and Dramamine comes in a non-drowsy formula. I like Bonine because it lacks the "medicine head" feeling for me.

I second the Sea Bandz wristbands. I used them at Universal last year and on the Disney Cruise. I was really skeptical but they did work. I cannot usually ride the type of rides where you watch the screen and the car moves (like the Simpsons or Jimmy Neutron) but I was ok the whole day. I think I ordered mine online at Amazon.

I tried SeaBands last trip and they made no difference for me at all. The only thing that helps me is the less drowsy Dramamine and even that has its limitations.

Look in to Scapolamine patches.
I have severe motion sickness. I'm fine on roller coasters, but motion simulators can turn me green. I asked my doc for a prescription for the scopolamine patch for our trip to the WWoHP this past week. Dramamine (I take the non-drowsy formula) works well for me, but I didn't want to have to mess with remembering to take it every four hours. I'm happy to say that during our four-day stay I never once got queasy, even on Forbidden Journey or the spinny Men in Black. I experienced a slight case of dry mouth the first night, but didn't notice it by the second day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter