Benefits of 2020 Point Charts???

Sorry to not understand but how would this mean more cash for Disney?

1) They have increased the lockoff premium, which means more breakage inventory (because members can now book less nights with the same amount of points) which means more money for them

2) they're promoting larger rooms, which means larger contracts to sell

3) existing owners who bought to stay in smaller rooms (studios and 1BR) will have to shorten their vacations or buy an add-on to stay the same number of nights

Sorry to not understand but how would this mean more cash for Disney?
It could if and only if it created more open units that were not used for points, DVCMC were able to rent those out and it crossed over the breakage limit threshold of what, 2.5%.

1) They have increased the lockoff premium, which means more breakage inventory (because members can now book less nights with the same amount of points) which means more money for them

3) existing owners who bought to stay in smaller rooms (studios and 1BR) will have to shorten their vacations or buy an add-on to stay the same number of nights
Don’t forget the now 19$ OTUPs.

I get the 3 items you listed but the resorts are all sold out so unless they sell more points or rent the rooms for cash, there isn't additional income for Disney?

It could if and only if it created more open units that were not used for points, DVCMC were able to rent those out and it crossed over the breakage limit threshold of what, 2.5%.
Forget breakage for a moment. Just the fact that pushing up the points requirements & creating points/$ in terms of OTUP, add-ons, larger buy-ins, is that not DVD manipulating DVC to further sales?

Forget breakage for a moment. Just the fact that pushing up the points requirements & creating points/$ in terms of OTUP, add-ons, larger buy-ins, is that not DVD manipulating DVC to further sales?
Likely not, small potatoes IMO at most. OTUP is only at 7 months or after.

I get the 3 items you listed but the resorts are all sold out so unless they sell more points or rent the rooms for cash, there isn't additional income for Disney?
OTUPs.
Also, just the fact that members might now shorten stays means more leftover inventory for DVC to rent out. Or the borrow from next yr’s points and book even less the next yr = more rooms for DVC to cash in on. It’s scummy.

That's in the lockoff premium. It has been discussed in this thread in details:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/2020-point-charts.3725229/unread
but long story short, for example at SSR, if all lockoffs are broken into studio+1BR reservations, half a million more points are needed to book the whole resort. Given the popularity of studios and the fact that there are also dedicated 2BR, we can assume that at least 80% of the lockoff are broken into studio+1BR. That's 400k points created out of thin air ready to be rented as rooms or sold as OTU points at SSR alone.

Likely not, small potatoes IMO at most. OTUP is only at 7 months or after.
Ok, but you don’t think the new head is gonna try to get more points sold & is willing to manipulate the points chart to do it?

Maybe this is a cultural issue on my end. As I’ve said elsewhere, as a Canadian I have an unhealthy trust in government & a zealous mistrust in corporations.

Have you looked at the 2020 SSR chart Dean? I can get a 1 bd standard & a 2 bd preferred for the exact same points per night in Adventure season. Something’s off.

OTUPs.
Also, just the fact that members might now shorten stays means more leftover inventory for DVC to rent out. Or the borrow from next yr’s points and book even less the next yr = more rooms for DVC to cash in on. It’s scummy.
Ok, I get that. It just seems like allot of work to generate a few OTUP's. In a weird way, that could actually be a benefit to Members. More points for those who need them.

That's in the lockoff premium. It has been discussed in this thread in details:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/2020-point-charts.3725229/unread
but long story short, for example at SSR, if all lockoffs are broken into studio+1BR reservations, half a million more points are needed to book the whole resort. Given the popularity of studios and the fact that there are also dedicated 2BR, we can assume that at least 80% of the lockoff are broken into studio+1BR. That's 400k points created out of thin air ready to be rented as rooms or sold as OTU points at SSR alone.
Understand. Do we know for sure how the lockoff rooms are accounted for by DVC?

Ok, I get that. It just seems like allot of work to generate a few OTUP's. In a weird way, that could actually be a benefit to Members. More points for those who need them.
But they only need them now because DVC jacked up the points requirements. & I’ve seen MANY posts on FB of people who are looking to add on a small contract. They’ll go direct because small contracts are hard to find & the savings isn’t there.

Ok, but you don’t think the new head is gonna try to get more points sold & is willing to manipulate the points chart to do it?

Maybe this is a cultural issue on my end. As I’ve said elsewhere, as a Canadian I have an unhealthy trust in government & a zealous mistrust in corporations.

Have you looked at the 2020 SSR chart Dean? I can get a 1 bd standard & a 2 bd preferred for the exact same points per night in Adventure season. Something’s off.
I don't believe that's the basis of this change. What it will likely do is push some to 2 BR and thus the ultimate change in total points will not be much if anything.

But they only need them now because DVC jacked up the points requirements. & I’ve seen MANY posts on FB of people who are looking to add on a small contract. They’ll go direct because small contracts are hard to find & the savings isn’t there.
Got it. So what is the bottom line here? Many posters agree that a re-allocation is needed because of the lack of studios. Is it the time of year they changed is wrong? Is it too much a change? What questions would be asked to DVC if they agree to discuss this issue?

I don't believe that's the basis of this change. What it will likely do is push some to 2 BR and thus the ultimate change in total points will not be much if anything.
Ok. I give up. I’m choosing to not care. This will benefit us anyway with cheaper 2bds. No floor sleeping for us. Sauve qui peut! as we say (every wo/man for her/himself.

We’ll re-evaluate when the 2021 chart comes out and either sell or revell in our gain at someone else’s expense.

Got it. So what is the bottom line here? Many posters agree that a re-allocation is needed because of the lack of studios. Is it the time of year they changed is wrong? Is it too much a change? What questions would be asked to DVC if they agree to discuss this issue?
They are dumping bigger unit points on smaller unit which would seem to be a no-no.

Ok. I give up. I’m choosing to not care. This will benefit us anyway with cheaper 2bds. No floor sleeping for us. Sauve qui peut! as we say (every wo/man for her/himself.

We’ll re-evaluate when the 2021 chart comes out and either sell or revell in our gain at someone else’s expense.
To be honest, I haven't even looked at how it'll affect us partly because we don't have a consistent usage method other than for exchanges and I'm doubting there will be much change there.

To be honest, I haven't even looked at how it'll affect us partly because we don't have a consistent usage method other than for exchanges and I'm doubting there will be much change there.
As someone spending a 30 yr career on a school schedule I do not have that luxury. I cannot simply go at another time if I get messed over on points re-allocations eventually.

As someone spending a 30 yr career on a school schedule I do not have that luxury. I cannot simply go at another time if I get messed over on points re-allocations eventually.
Certainly personal circumstances dictate what the individual can do but does not and should not dictate what the system does. IMO one should have known the risk of reallocation going in which is why I've long touted buying a cushion of points for most situations, normally 10-20%, sometimes more.

Certainly personal circumstances dictate what the individual can do but does not and should not dictate what the system does. IMO one should have known the risk of reallocation going in which is why I've long touted buying a cushion of points for most situations, normally 10-20%, sometimes more.
Exactly. We have more than that cushion & are would still be pushed into a studio XMas wk at BCV because if the massive hikes :confused3 So yeah. We’ll have to see how bad the 2021 chart is & go from there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter