Beer Mug Info?

buck0086

Mouseketeer
I've heard about a beer mug program. How does it work? How much does it cost? What beer is available? Pros & cons? Thanks.

Buck

You buy the mug for around $15 which you can keep, but you take it to any of the bars on board and they will fill it for the price of a small drink. The mug is around 22oz. If you don't want to carry the mug around you can get a token that you can take to any bar and get a mug there.

Pros are you get a mug and save money if you drink more than 6 (approx. breakeven point).

Cons - the mug is heavy, which can actually be a pro if it's windy on deck

Form the Disney Website:

"Carry this Disney Cruise Line-branded beer mug to any onboard bar and get a 21 oz. refill of beer for the price of a 16 oz. size! If you find the mug too heavy to carry while onboard, then take advantage of the beer mug token."

$14.95 for the Mug. (+ Tax)

Pro: You get a little more beer for the price (21 oz for the price of 16 oz) and it's a souvenir that you can bring home.

Con: You have to make sure that it is well protected and wrapped for when you bring it back home.

A major benefit is you can bring the token (or mug) home and then take it on your next cruise. I have the same token from about 5 cruises now. So you get the discount (approx 22oz of beer for price of 16oz) on all cruises. Like they said above, you don't have to carry the mug around and even if you do, they will exchange it for a clean one at any bar. It's not a 'great' deal, but does save money over time, especially if you take it on multiple cruises. I don't care if I ever get the mug because I've easily received more than $15 in free beer.

The selection is probably the main drawback. In the pubs you get the best selection. Other bars you may be limited to a couple of choices, one always being Bud Light. The Wonder has an excellent selection now. You can take the mug and get it filled anywhere you want. Also, the servers might even go to another bar if you know there is a preferred beer. I do this during shows. Just remember them when signing for additional tip.

Good to know about the beer choice. I am not huge fan of Bud, Miller, Coors etc. I'm more of a microbrew gal.

The 1st time you buy it, it's about $22 filled. Each refill is $6-$9 depending on what you choose. We've never carried the mug around or off ship, always get a token.

The Wonder has an excellent selection now. You can take the mug and get it filled anywhere you want. Also, the servers might even go to another bar if you know there is a preferred beer. I do this during shows. Just remember them when signing for additional tip.

What and where did you get on draft on teh Wonder?

The selection is probably the main drawback. In the pubs you get the best selection. Other bars you may be limited to a couple of choices, one always being Bud Light. The Wonder has an excellent selection now. You can take the mug and get it filled anywhere you want. Also, the servers might even go to another bar if you know there is a preferred beer. I do this during shows. Just remember them when signing for additional tip.

Admittedly, I'm a wimpy beer drinker. Coors light is plenty good for me. What do they have on tap besides Bud Light that is similar to that? Thanks.

Buck

Admittedly, I'm a wimpy beer drinker. Coors light is plenty good for me. What do they have on tap besides Bud Light that is similar to that? Thanks.

Buck
They have a good selection, depending on ship. You get the Bud Light, Blue Moon, Shocktop, etc. Best bet is to take note at the various venues and remember if you see one you want. If you are looking for an actual light beer, then Bud Light is the most common option. If you want just a lighter tasting beer, try Blue Moon or even Stella Artois. Ask the bartender, they will give you a sample to taste if you just want to try something different, you'll be surprised.

Yes, you can bring it to the pools. We specifically asked about this and they said it is made specially to be near the pool. They said that it was made similar to how windshields are made so they don't shatter or break easy. Something like that. Sorry it was about five years ago, so I don't remember specifics. Just something about windshields. :D

It's a great deal if you're a repeat cruiser. We bought it five years ago. We always trade it in for the "token" (which is really like a little business card) the last night and bring that home rather than the big, bulky mug. It's easier with travel & my husband already has quite a few favorite mugs from Germany in Epcot at home.

Yes, you can bring it to the pools. We specifically asked about this and they said it is made specially to be near the pool. They said that it was made similar to how windshields are made so they don't shatter or break easy. Something like that. Sorry it was about five years ago, so I don't remember specifics. Just something about windshields. :D

It's a great deal if you're a repeat cruiser. We bought it five years ago. We always trade it in for the "token" (which is really like a little business card) the last night and bring that home rather than the big, bulky mug. It's easier with travel & my husband already has quite a few favorite mugs from Germany in Epcot at home.

I can attest. I would bet you'd need a hammer to break that thing. Maybe even a sledgehammer.

Do the beer mugs change? Can I bring my Beer mugs from Jan 2015 and get them filled?

You can bring your mug from previous cruises. My husband has taken back the same mug from our first cruise in 2007. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter