Bed bugs?

They can be found anywhere but in my entire life having stayed in hundreds of hotels I’ve never encountered them. I’m frantically knocking on wood right now - but for me it is not something I worry about too much.

They can be found anywhere but in my entire life having stayed in hundreds of hotels I’ve never encountered them. I’m frantically knocking on wood right now - but for me it is not something I worry about too much.
We had never experienced them until our last trip either!!. Thankfully WDW resorts managers handle it very well and still make their guests feel valued and cared for. That’s a huge thing for me knowing they treat each case sympathetically and with due diligence. It should never impact significantly on vacation experiences.

What about your stuff, luggage, clothing, etc?
I guess we were just lucky that they didn't get in our clothes or luggage. Woke up departure day with bites on my back. We didn't see evidence in our room, but they were typical bed bug bites. We wrapped our luggage and belongings in trash bags when we got home and left them in the garage, then cleaned everything little by little weeks later. I've heard of people doing this when they come back from traveling by plane as a preventative measure because they can easily spread via luggage.

Last edited:
I guess we were just lucky that they didn't get in our clothes or luggage. Woke up departure day with bites on my back. We didn't see evidence in our room, but they were typical bed bug bites. We wrapped our luggage and belongings in trash bags when we got home and left them in the garage, then cleaned everything little by little weeks later. I've heard of people doing this when they come back from traveling by plane as a preventative measure because they can easily spread via luggage.
I'm curious how many bites you had? Can you tell the difference in a bed bug bite and a mosquito, gnat, mite or even spider bite?

I had a few bites in a cluster by my shoulder blade and then about four to five more that basically trailed down my back. I had never seen bites like it so I googled pics of bites and that’s the conclusion I came to. We didn’t find any evidence of the bugs in the room, but we didn’t really know what to look for. We don’t know if Disney ever found them because I didn’t get a call back. Oh and by the way, they are noticeably dark red and raised , extremely itchy, almost immediately.

I had a few bites in a cluster by my shoulder blade and then about four to five more that basically trailed down my back. I had never seen bites like it so I googled pics of bites and that’s the conclusion I came to. We didn’t find any evidence of the bugs in the room, but we didn’t really know what to look for. We don’t know if Disney ever found them because I didn’t get a call back. Oh and by the way, they are noticeably dark red and raised , extremely itchy, almost immediately.

Thanks. They've always been a fear of mine. Some in our family are very prone to mosquito and other bites, especially gnat bites, so always wondered if I would know right away that it was bed bugs.

Reading other stories of people who say they check the room on arrival and don't see any signs and then still find them makes it seem a bit more worrisome.

Just experienced bed bugs in our room at Caribbean Beach in January of this year. I made a video all about it and went over everything about how Disney handled it. It was 24 minutes of me talking, so it would probably take too long to type out. If you're interested, skip to 5:54 for the start of the bed bug story
I watched this video earlier this year!!

Thanks. They've always been a fear of mine. Some in our family are very prone to mosquito and other bites, especially gnat bites, so always wondered if I would know right away that it was bed bugs.

Reading other stories of people who say they check the room on arrival and don't see any signs and then still find them makes it seem a bit more worrisome.
My guess is that they came in with housekeeping the previous afternoon, because it didn’t happen until the last day there.

My guess is that they came in with housekeeping the previous afternoon, because it didn’t happen until the last day there.
This always makes me nervous. They could easily hitch a ride on a housekeeper. If I am staying somewhere for just a few days I always put the do not disturb sign out to avoid housekeeping because for just a short period of time its not worth the risk.

I watched this video earlier this year!!
Disney does a good job at taking care of people when this happens. Unfortunately, we noticed we had bed bugs as we were leaving. All I can think of now is “the hitchhiking bed bugs!l “ when you said they hitch a ride with housekeeping.:rotfl2:

Bed bugs are in hotels everywhere. It’s up to us as guests to check. It’s very easy to find them if there is any. So far. I have never. Not only at Disney but any hotel. Just have to look Disney does better or as good as the best when it comes to keeping resorts bed bug free. We check real quick at check in and then forget about it.

They can also come in from another guest in an adjoining room, they can easily make their way through electrical outlets and spread that way. I stayed at the double tree hilton in Orlando (near Universal I believe) a few years ago and we had bed bugs but never could see them, we checked the bed and everything. The hotel even went as far as to say we got them from home before we came *insert eye roll here*. They finally moved use after we came back the next morning with double the bites, about 8 hours later, and they couldn't argue with us anymore since we hadn't left our room. Turns out there was a HUGE infestation in the room next to ours and the bugs were traveling back and forth through the outlets. I always check my rooms at any hotel just in case, but I now know there is only so much I can do.

Bed bugs are in hotels everywhere. It’s up to us as guests to check. It’s very easy to find them if there is any. So far. I have never. Not only at Disney but any hotel. Just have to look Disney does better or as good as the best when it comes to keeping resorts bed bug free. We check real quick at check in and then forget about it.

This is not true. I thoroughly check every single room I am in for bed bugs, I check the bed, drawers, carpeting, all frames, etc.. Even though we did our usual thorough check, my husband and I still woke up with bites after a one night stay at Kidani. We had the actual bug as proof as I found it in the bed and killed it, so we know it was a bed bug or bugs definitively. Disney sent the housekeeping manager and the pest control guy, and he said that if it is a low number in the room it can be impossible to find them even doing a thorough check.

One weird things about the bites for me, they were in the classic cluster with a line of them down both of our backs, but these are the only bites I have ever gotten in my life that did not hurt or itch at all for me. I would have never known I had then if my husband had not seen them, thank goodness for him!!! I am miserable with all other bites, but for some reason these did not bother me at all. My husband didn't notice his bites either, but he doesn't tend to react much to bug bites.

If you didn't see any bedbugs in your room, you might have been bitten by no-see-ums. Their bites are extremely itchy and the get red, raised welts.

If you didn't see any bedbugs in your room, you might have been bitten by no-see-ums. Their bites are extremely itchy and the get red, raised welts.
Never heard of those, but they weren’t welts, more like a cluster of small dark red bumps.

Nothing worse than bed bugs. So annoying, but there is nothing you can do but change room as soon as you notice them. Unfortunately, sometimes it's too late.

Regarding bed bug bites... Not to creep anyone out, but it is entirely possible to never know you were bit by a bed bug. We had the unfortunate experience of moving into a rental home many years ago that was infested with bed bugs. The house was only two years old, impeccably clean, and in a great neighborhood. Bed bugs can be anywhere there is a source of food, they are not discriminatory. They hide from light (behind walls, in the sockets, behind baseboards, etc.), and they can go months without food, so there was no evidence of an infestation when we moved in. Almost immediately my husband began waking up with bite marks all over his legs and arms (where his skin was exposed while he slept). For two months he figured it was either an allergy or something biting him at work, because I was sleeping in the same bed right next to him and had no bite marks at all. It's highly unlikely I wasn't being bit, I just don't have a reaction to the bites. Not everyone does. It's worth taking the five minutes to check your hotel room, and when you get home leave your luggage outside for at least ten days. Eggs can take up to ten days to hatch. We leave our luggage outside and load up all the clothes in garbage bags and take them to the laundry mat. Anything fabric you took on vacation with you should be washed and dried on the highest heat available. Stuffed animals especially! Bed bugs are not just inconvenient or a nuisance, they are a nightmare to deal with if you get them in your home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter