Be aware if traveling to WDW within the next few days

We just returned from our stay at the Comtemporary (12/14 - 12/20) and it hit my husband at Epcot while we were waiting to get on Soarin. Thank God we had not gotten on the ride yet. We were stuck there at Epcot for 2 hours until he felt that he could make it back to CR on the monorail system. We got back to the room in the nick of time! He started with the diarhea for several hours and then the forceful vomiting started and lasted for several hours. The diarhea continued. We went out front to the bench so he could get some fresh air and he about collapsed from weakness. He fell flat on his face and wound up bruised, sore and a bloody knee. It made me a nervous wreck! He even asked if there were house dr's in case he needed one( which surprised me since he reserves dr visits for only when absolutely necessary so that told me how bad he was feeling) When that happened, there was another guy out on the benches and he asked if Dh had the stomach flu and he said that he also had it and had lost the past day and a half of his trip so far. He had gotten sick in Mama Melrose's the evening before. When Dh was in the restroom at Epcot, he said there was a guy in there violently vomiting as well. I met another woman who told me her DH had it also. So yeh, we did lose some of those TS credits from our dining plan for sure! I was worried about if he would be well enough for our flight today but he was feeling a lot better and not nearly as weak. Our flight took off and he reached for an airsick bag just to make sure it was available as he was starting to feel nauseated again. He felt that way for the whole flight home but made it home ok. He got his appetite back and did eat something but had another bout of the diarhea but seems to be a lot better now. Yesterday my son started feeling light headed and is today haveing some stomach pain but so far he isn't ill. I feel fine for now and hope it stays that way! I did bring my lysol with me on the trip and I've never seen anyone wash their hands more than my Dh but I think these viruses are airborne and and sometimes all the precautions just aren't enough. Some people are just going to get these things when you are on packed airplanes and busses. I wish everyone there now or leaving soon for their trip good health!!! It's bad enough being sick at home but getting something like this after spending thousands of dollars while we are supposed to be enjoying ourselves and away from the comforts of home makes it even worse. Hope everyone sick feels better and everyone not sick stays that way!!!!:cheer2:

I had it last year about this time -got it in the early morning hours as we were to check out of All Star Music. It was the worst case of "stomach flu" I ever had and I don't know how I made the drive home before collapsing. I ended up severely dehydrated and weak. This year friends of ours came down for vacation the first week of Dec. In one family two of the kids got it and then in the other family ( a couple) the husband got a severe case. One family was at POR and the other at CBR. I'm hoping it's passed through by now. My kids are at OKW with my grandson and I'd feel awful if they have it for Christmas.( well, it's awful at any time but worse on the day Santa has left presents).Here's to everyone staying healthy- go away germs!---Kathy

I am glad not to have gotten it at all this week at Disney. I do eat in the parks/resorts, though I'm bothered by the way food is handled (I see way too many cast members wearing gloves, then touching their face and everything else with those same gloves - then handling the food). I'd rather see them use tongs for the food, and change gloves often.

I also once saw a kid at a buffet put something on his plate, try it, not like it, then put it back into the buffet dish. I did tell the Tusker House staff about it right away. I am surprised there aren't more food illnesses.

As someone whos entire family has just had (and the baby still has) the stomach bug (Norwalk, Norwalk-like, norovirus or some sort of gastro bug) if anyone gets it now and then goes to Disney if it's the same strain, which I am assuming it is as long since it seems to be everywhere, your body will build an immunity to it for a few months so this if it's still in Disney when we get there we should be protected. Finally something positive comes out of the torture we have all endured for the past 4 days!:thumbsup2

I am glad not to have gotten it at all this week at Disney. I do eat in the parks/resorts, though I'm bothered by the way food is handled (I see way too many cast members wearing gloves, then touching their face and everything else with those same gloves - then handling the food). I'd rather see them use tongs for the food, and change gloves often.

I also once saw a kid at a buffet put something on his plate, try it, not like it, then put it back into the buffet dish. I did tell the Tusker House staff about it right away. I am surprised there aren't more food illnesses.

That happens everywhere what about the people who work in delis or places where they make food then handle your money. I can not tell you the amount of times i have had someone remake my food because they would put something together for me then grab dirty filthy money with the same hand and go back and handle food.

We're thankful none of us caught anything this past trip. 2 years ago when we stayed at the Caribbean Beach Club, all four of us caught the bug and we were sick for half the trip. It's no fun being voluntarily confined to your hotel room on vacation. You're right about the buffets. We try to avoid them like the plague. Way too many unsupervised kids handle the food incorrectly.

We're thankful none of us caught anything this past trip. 2 years ago when we stayed at the Caribbean Beach Club, all four of us caught the bug and we were sick for half the trip. It's no fun being voluntarily confined to your hotel room on vacation. You're right about the buffets. We try to avoid them like the plague. Way too many unsupervised kids handle the food incorrectly.

Totally true, and another example of bad parenting. Not sure why parents think it's ok to let small children, or any children for that matter touch other people's food. Buffets are shared environments and therefore, no place for children to be serving themselves, IMHO.

Tiger

I thought I had food poisoning until I read this thread. I got sick on Wednesday night. Had eaten at the Polynesian Luau and Columbia Harbour House that day. Vomiting, diarrhea, horrible headache and just achy all over. Saw where a couple of people had thrown up at our resort WL and someone threw up at CRT in the lobby. I am one that uses the anti-bacterial soap all the time and will not touch a bathroom door handle. I spent our last full day in the room thinking I was dying. I will say it takes a couple of days to actually feel better. Other than that it was a great trip.

We just returned from our stay at the Comtemporary (12/14 - 12/20) and it hit my husband at Epcot while we were waiting to get on Soarin. Thank God we had not gotten on the ride yet. We were stuck there at Epcot for 2 hours until he felt that he could make it back to CR on the monorail system. We got back to the room in the nick of time! He started with the diarhea for several hours and then the forceful vomiting started and lasted for several hours. The diarhea continued. We went out front to the bench so he could get some fresh air and he about collapsed from weakness. He fell flat on his face and wound up bruised, sore and a bloody knee. It made me a nervous wreck! He even asked if there were house dr's in case he needed one( which surprised me since he reserves dr visits for only when absolutely necessary so that told me how bad he was feeling) When that happened, there was another guy out on the benches and he asked if Dh had the stomach flu and he said that he also had it and had lost the past day and a half of his trip so far. He had gotten sick in Mama Melrose's the evening before. When Dh was in the restroom at Epcot, he said there was a guy in there violently vomiting as well. I met another woman who told me her DH had it also. So yeh, we did lose some of those TS credits from our dining plan for sure! I was worried about if he would be well enough for our flight today but he was feeling a lot better and not nearly as weak. Our flight took off and he reached for an airsick bag just to make sure it was available as he was starting to feel nauseated again. He felt that way for the whole flight home but made it home ok. He got his appetite back and did eat something but had another bout of the diarhea but seems to be a lot better now. Yesterday my son started feeling light headed and is today haveing some stomach pain but so far he isn't ill. I feel fine for now and hope it stays that way! I did bring my lysol with me on the trip and I've never seen anyone wash their hands more than my Dh but I think these viruses are airborne and and sometimes all the precautions just aren't enough. Some people are just going to get these things when you are on packed airplanes and busses. I wish everyone there now or leaving soon for their trip good health!!! It's bad enough being sick at home but getting something like this after spending thousands of dollars while we are supposed to be enjoying ourselves and away from the comforts of home makes it even worse. Hope everyone sick feels better and everyone not sick stays that way!!!!:cheer2:

I hope everyone is feeling better.

WUVmyDISNEY: Where did you guys stay within the Contemporary (garden wing or tower)?

Reading this is freaking me out as I am sure it's doing the same to others. I'm curious though I know that babies get a Rotovirus vaccine which helps prevent the "Stomach Flu". I wonder if this would help my 16 month old DD. She's had all three of the required doses. I'd rather get sick than her.

and for those who think they may not have had the virus because only one member of the family had it... it doesn't hit everyone. I was stuck at home for 4 days and all 4 days my mother was also here. She has a badly broken ancle and at the time couldn't put any weight on it. She was litterally sitting 5 feet or so from me for most of that time... and she didn't get it. We were shocked honestly.

We ate at Cape May the last day we were there for breakfast. I have a bit of a stomach something. I am not throwing up but definately am having some gastro intestinal issues. Not full diarhea but close to it and painful intestinal pains. Put it this way I must get to the bathroom quick. So far I am the only one in the group who went that has it.

I got sick too! I was at All Star Movies 12/5-12/13. I got home at 10:30 pm Saturday night. By noon the next day I was sick. I did not feel human again until 4 days later. I did see a girl throw up in the bus. Someone also threw up at Monsters Inc. while waiting in line. I am thankful I did not get sick until I was home.

Oh my...I hate even reading this thread but it sounds like this bug is still going around. I don't like hearing how people get sick on their vacation-it happened to us once & it was terrible...I hope if I am going to get it-I get it long before our trip next month!!!!:scared:

So sorry for everyone who got sick..that must be an awful way to spend any day, especially a vacation day.

I was unaware of any bug while we were at BCV, 12/7 - 12/13, but am so thankful that my mother, 81, did not get this. We did the usual wipe-down thing with lysol spray and wipes and she is always cautious about not touching bathroom door handles, etc. We did not eat at any buffets, which might have been lucky, especially seeing how many of you were sick.

I had felt a little uneasy on the plane, rebreathing all that circulated air and wished I had remembered to take some Neosporin to coat the inside of our nostrils. I have a friend who does this all the time on her trips to Europe while on the plane.

As someone whos entire family has just had (and the baby still has) the stomach bug (Norwalk, Norwalk-like, norovirus or some sort of gastro bug) if anyone gets it now and then goes to Disney if it's the same strain, which I am assuming it is as long since it seems to be everywhere, your body will build an immunity to it for a few months so this if it's still in Disney when we get there we should be protected. Finally something positive comes out of the torture we have all endured for the past 4 days!:thumbsup2

Then my DSis16 and I should be OK. We both just had what we think was a norovirus strain (Norwalk, perhaps, though we aren't sure, but based on our symptoms, we prolly had it). My parents and DBro8 haven't had the bug this year (they all did last year, while me and sis didn't). What's odd though is the night before my mom started vomiting (she started at 4am when she was sick), I took several swallows of her drink through the straw she used and never got the virus.:confused3

Add us to the list too. We just had the the stomach virus in November so I thought we would be safe! Wrong! Atleast we got it the day we were checking out. Also, the family in the room next door to us had it too. When I spoke to housekeeping they also said it is going around and that she knew of atleast 4 cases of the virus reported to them that day. We stayed at AKL. We just go back today. Most of us had it in the middle of the night. My 4 year old daughter threw up the whole way home.

SOARIN08

Yes, that is my daughter when she was about 4ish....she is now 7 and just as cute. My husband is originally from Hong Kong and I am Caucasian and DD seems to have the best of both races!:) :)

Boy do I hope you're right! Both of my kids had this just a couple of weeks ago. We're going to Orlando 12/25-12/27 (going to DTD on 12/25 & MK on 12/26), so I'm hoping if it is still running rampant (which sounds like it would be), that they are immune to it...

I'll be bringing the antibacterial handwash, wipes and be the handwashing police...

Thanks for the 'good' info, all...
:/
Nicki

Ugh. I so hope that we don't get this when we go next month. I'm pregnant, so this could be really dangerous to me and to the baby.

Just a reminder though, antibacterial gel and wipes don't do a thing to kill any virus. They won't protect you against Norwalk at all. Bleach kills the virus as does the Lysol spray and good old fashioned hand washing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter