Banking over long periods of time?

KaterBell

I've been Pugged!
Hubby and I are going to buy into DVC at BCV sometime before June hopefully, as a first year Wedding Anniversary gift to ourselves... Have a question about banking....

We are 24 years old - both of us, married last year, no kids yet, so we're planning to get a lot of our points the first few years we have it... but when we start having children eventually, I am wondering how much we'll be able to "get away" to use 150+ points with DVC a year when kids are super young... can I bank the majority of those points? And will they roll over year to year? Or do I have to continue to bank them? Whats the most points I can have banked? Is there a limit?

There's the life story - I'm just asking- it's not set in stone that we won't vacation with the "little-uns", I'm hoping we will...but want to know what my options are ... :)

Thank you, wondeful DVC people. :) We're almost neighbors.

Sorry, but you can only bank forward one year, then it must be used by the end of that second use year. Through banking and borrowing you are only allowed to have 300% of your annual point total in your account at any time.

So, if you got 150 September 1, 2002, and banked them all forward, you'd have 300 to use between September 1, 2003 and August 31, 2004, BUT 150 of those would HAVE to be used by August 31, 2004. The banked points expire at the end of the following use year.

You could always rent the points out to family or friends (or on the rent/trade board here). This could cover your costs for that year if you cannot go- Or you can do an exchange in the concierge collection.

The banking and borrowing will allow you to vacation just once every 3 years. For 150 points that would allow you to have a 450 point vacation every three years, like this:

2002: Bank into 2003

2003" Borrow 2004 points and have a 450 point vacation (using 2002, 2003, 2004 points)

2004: these points have already been used

2005: Bank these into 2006

2006: Borrow your 2007 points and have a 450 point vacation (using 2005, 2006, 2007 points)

2007: these points have already been used

2008: Bank these into 2009

etc.

You have a vacation in 2003, 2006, 2009 etc. Of course, if you didn't use the full 450 points each time, you could rent the excess, give them to friends/relatives, etc.

Several things. We took our DS at 19 months and he had a FANTASTIC time, he LOVED it!!! In retrospect I think we could have taken him much earlier and he still would have had a great time. Disney World is set up extremely well for babies and young children, so I don't think you'll have any problem travelling with a baby.

Besides that, you will soon find that the question isn't 'oh gosh, will we be able to use these 150 points before they run out?' but rather 'oh gosh, I wonder where we could get ANOTHER 150 points from?' ;)

Be sure to post any questions that you have regarding DVC to this board, it's an excellent source of information!

Hahah... I think that's what I'm hearing from people I know personally in DVC, and the people that I know "internetly" on the DIS... :) So you guys have given me a lot of great information, and I greatly appreciate it... Maybe we'll buy between 175-200 points when we sign on... heh.. might as well, while we have the $$ and no kids to pay for. ;) It pays off in the end!
Thanks again!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter