Banking and Borrowing Question Before Buying

perchy

WDW Resort Hopper
If I buy an August use year, does that mean I can’t visit in August?

I was thinking of banking 2021 points and using them in August 2022, maybe borrowing a few points from 2023.

No good?

UY has nothing to do with when you can travel or book. It simply helps determine which points can be used for a certain trip.

So, if you want to travel in August 2022, it takes place in the August 2022 UY. That means you can book your home resort 11 months in advance (September 2021) using banked 2021 points, 2022 points, and borrow up to 50% of 2023 points to complete the reservation.

So, with an August UY, you most certainly can make that trip work!

August use year is just WHEN you get your annual points.

You can visit all year round.

If you have an Aug UY, your points are good from Aug 1 to July 31 of the next year. If you bank points before the end of the first eight months of your UY, you can get extra time to use those points. You can only bank points one time. Or you can borrow up to 50% of your points from the next year to get extra points to use. You cannot borrow points that you banked.

If you have an Aug UY, your points are good from Aug 1 to July 31 of the next year. If you bank points before the end of the first eight months of your UY, you can get extra time to use those points. You can only bank points one time. Or you can borrow up to 50% of your points from the next year to get extra points to use. You cannot borrow points that you banked.
All is very helpful info, except I think there was typo regarding banking- which can be done “one point at a time” and not just “one time” 😉

(*there is no limit to banking transactions anymore!)

All is very helpful info, except I think there was typo regarding banking- which can be done “one point at a time” and not just “one time” 😉

(*there is no limit to banking transactions anymore!)
I read it as they meant you can’t bank banked points again but it’s good to clarify you can bank unbanked points as many times you want before the 8 month deadline.

I read it as they meant you can’t bank banked points again but it’s good to clarify you can bank unbanked points as many times you want before the 8 month deadline.
Great point! I hadn’t seen it that way, but you’re 100% right!! Thanks :-)

I have a February UY and that's the only month I've gone since 2016.

If I ever have to cancel, I'm pretty much toast, though. Especially those years when I've used more than the one UY.

Probably D U M B question buying hypothetical resale, but here goes...

June 100 pts Contract with 0-21/100-22/100-23

Want to travel Aug 2022 using 100 pts.

Contract closes Nov 2021.

I know points are mine once closed but when could I make ressie?

If I have to wait til June 2022, Aug 2022 probably sold out.

So do I need to buy contract with 2021 pts OR do I borrow June 2022 pts to make 11-mo ressie once pts are in my account Nov 2021?

And won't I always be borrowing if I always travel August?

HELLLPPPPP !

Uy has nothing to do with when you can make a res. It simply dictates what years points you are using.

once the contract closes in November then the only thing at that point you’d wait on is account creation and points loading which can take a month or more. Once’s points are loaded you’re free to book home resort at 11 months out or any resort 7 months out (except riviera restrictions)

say points load in Jan, book your august trip and if it’s within the amount of points you have for 22 then you’d use only your 22 points.

You can book any trip 11 months in advance regardless of UY.

So, to travel in August 2022 all owners could book it starting now. If you have a June UY, then the trip is taking place in your 2022 UY. When you book, you can pay for it with banked 2021 points, 2022 points, and borrow up to 50% of 2023.

It would work the exact same way if you were booking in November for August. All based on when the trip is and not when you call!

Spend some time with the Understanding Use Year thread before you buy. You will be glad you did. :)

LOL! Yes Thank you. I have spent days there!
It's VERY helpful but with all of the Direct vs Resale discussions about SSR//OKW buy backs, I'm anxious to move ahead soon & correctly.

Full Disclosure: I'm a former DVC Member from 20 yrs ago & was ALWAYS confused by UY. :laughing:
Then we moved to Central FLA, 15 minutes from Main St USA & sold our DVC :guilty:...Back up north now & starting over).

LOL! Yes Thank you. I have spent days there!
It's VERY helpful but with all of the Direct vs Resale discussions about SSR//OKW buy backs, I'm anxious to move ahead soon & correctly.

Full Disclosure: I'm a former DVC Member from 20 yrs ago & was ALWAYS confused by UY. :laughing:
Then we moved to Central FLA, 15 minutes from Main St USA & sold our DVC :guilty:...Back up north now & starting over).
Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter