Baloo is finding his Bare Necessities of life (Comments Welcome)

My training plan for the week and my race results for the Capital City River Run Half Marathon.

Last week
9/12: Week 9: OFF
9/13: 3 miles- completed 5.02 miles. Did some tempo work.
9/14: 4 miles - completed 3.5 miles walking
9/15: 3 miles - completed 4.71 miles, super easy, last run before the race.
9/16: OFF - 5 miles walking
9/17: OFF - 3 miles walking
9/18: Capital City River Run - Half Marathon, POT effort, race report below.

My week of recuperation - thank goodness!
9/19: REST
9/20: REST
9/21: Walk - 5 miles
9/22: Walk - 5 miles
9/23: 3 miles, easy
9/24: REST
9/25: 10 miles, easy

68FC1048-CA79-4FFA-B21C-79C58D187F6E.jpeg

Race Report
In short - no POT. Wheels came off in the 5th mile. Went out way to fast and did not follow anything I planned. I am frustrated with my decision making in the moment and my results - time was 2:06:25.4… I suppose it leaves plenty of room for improvement in the future.

It was a beautiful morning and I was really excited to run. I got there a little late and was rushing to pick up my bib and get set and find a place in the corral. I noticed that there were pace groups and spur of the moment (here comes my first mistake) I decided to line up right behind the 9:00 minute pace group. When the race started I took off with the pace group and started skipping my walk intervals (my second mistake). To make matters worse the pace group crossed the 5K at least a minute under pace and simply too fast for me. As I began to fall off their pace I continued to skip my walk intervals (third mistake) thinking this was my best option to keep a faster pace and salvage my POT hopes. I did not.

I recognized around mile 8 that my A-goal and B-goal were both gone. I decided to start incorporating my walk intervals and push my run intervals and hold onto my C-goal. So no sub 1:57 and no sub 2:00, but when I crossed the finish line I felt like I had run hard; even if stupidly!

So I am going to chalk today up to a reinforcement to stick with my game plan, trust my training and do my own pacing. But I am going to hang my hat on still finishing faster than the Half’s I ran in January and July, and for sticking it out today. I have been chasing a sub 2:00 since my ankle surgery in 2018. I think I still have it in me.

It was a fun course, starting in downtown Lansing with views of the Capital and then a couple miles right down Michigan Avenue before ducking off onto the river trail. The race gave out hoodies (which I love) and a nice medal. It was not the day I wanted, but it was still a good day.

B82F5B57-7E63-4D44-B836-777C98FD3876.jpeg

Congrats on the race. Not quite what you wanted but good lessons to learn. Not all pace teams are good and the overly aggressive ones can be disastrous when your fitness is right on the line.

Congrats on the race :)

As someone who also missed the POT during my last race, I tell myself that it won't make-or-break my race experience and I'll still be placed in a very good corral even if I don't make s2

Congrats on the race. Not quite what you wanted but good lessons to learn. Not all pace teams are good and the overly aggressive ones can be disastrous when your fitness is right on the line.
I think this was my issue exactly. My fitness took a hit in August and I think I just was not willing to accept that sub-2 was not in the cards. So when that pace group went even faster, well my fault for not listening to my instinct which was screaming to let them go.

I have used a pace groups before and as I am thinking about it, rarely has it gone well. I think I am just better off following my intervals and maintaining my own pace.

Congrats on the race :)

As someone who also missed the POT during my last race, I tell myself that it won't make-or-break my race experience and I'll still be placed in a very good corral even if I don't make s2
Thanks! So true.

I think this was my issue exactly. My fitness took a hit in August and I think I just was not willing to accept that sub-2 was not in the cards. So when that pace group went even faster, well my fault for not listening to my instinct which was screaming to let them go.

I have used a pace groups before and as I am thinking about it, rarely has it gone well. I think I am just better off following my intervals and maintaining my own pace.

In my view, they can be a good sightline. But ultimately, I trained by myself all year and am prepared to run that pace without them. If we stay near each because I and them are pacing well, then great. But it's risky to follow them on a blistering pace when your fitness is on the line. These were the splits of the 3:20 group at the Madison 2021 marathon (I wasn't following them, but was shocked to see them jockeying with me).

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 2.21.40 PM.png

They finished in 3:18:39. They should have been doing 7:38 min/mile pace. They were doing 7:23 min/mile pace through 15.9 miles (3:13 finish). They did 7:13 pace between the HM and 15.9 checkpoint. It wasn't until the end that they actually slowed down to 7:48-7:57 pace during the last six miles did they end up hitting near their finish time. For someone aiming for a 3:20 finish (7:38 min/mile fitness), their HM pace is likely around 1:34-1:36 (7:10-7:19 min/mile). So they did the first 15.9 miles only 4-13 sec/mile slower than what a 3:20 runner could conceivably be running at their best HM pace. That's going to be disastrous for those runners.

In my view, they can be a good sightline. But ultimately, I trained by myself all year and am prepared to run that pace without them. If we stay near each because I and them are pacing well, then great. But it's risky to follow them on a blistering pace when your fitness is on the line. These were the splits of the 3:20 group at the Madison 2021 marathon (I wasn't following them, but was shocked to see them jockeying with me).

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 2.21.40 PM.png

They finished in 3:18:39. They should have been doing 7:38 min/mile pace. They were doing 7:23 min/mile pace through 15.9 miles (3:13 finish). They did 7:13 pace between the HM and 15.9 checkpoint. It wasn't until the end that they actually slowed down to 7:48-7:57 pace during the last six miles did they end up hitting near their finish time. For someone aiming for a 3:20 finish (7:38 min/mile fitness), their HM pace is likely around 1:34-1:36 (7:10-7:19 min/mile). So they did the first 15.9 miles only 4-13 sec/mile slower than what a 3:20 runner could conceivably be running at their best HM pace. That's going to be disastrous for those runners.
You are so right. The first item on my plan was to go out easy over the first mile and then begin picking it up so that by miles 4 & 5 I would be moving solidly and on my intended pace. Then I did the exact opposite, shot off the start much too fast. Even though I could feel the pace was too much for me I just kept trying to follow them. I really paid the price for that mistake. Not my best decision making that is for sure. But there is always next time!

Well I have had the week to lick my wounds, well my ego. I am happy to say that I am feeling ready to put the POT fail last weekend behind me and begin focusing on my next goal, well two goals actually.

On November 6th I am running the New York Marathon. First time running that race and first time in New York. Very excited about it! I am running as a member of the Celiac Disease Foundation Team. This is very personal for me as both my daughters have Celiac Disease. In fact I applied to the team three times before finally getting picked. This leads to my second goal as I will be running a mile-a-thon on Saturday, October 8th as a fund raiser. I am running one hour for each of the years since my daughters were diagnosed with Celiac - 8 years. So the goal is gong to be to follow my extra slow pace; using my 4:00/:30 intervals and keep moving over the 8 hours and hopefully raise some good funds! Going to be a great challenge.

For the Marathon my goal is going to be to finish under 4:30 which I think is an attainable goal to focus on. And my goal for the mile-a-thon is 36 miles. Either way I am kind of excited to run out past marathon distance and to continue to build my endurance. Right after New York I am jumping back into Dopey training and at this point not even thinking about goals beyond simply finishing.

Today my legs felt good during my short run and Sunday I will be gong a little longer - 10 miles, planning to go slow and enjoy an early morning run!

You are so right. The first item on my plan was to go out easy over the first mile and then begin picking it up so that by miles 4 & 5 I would be moving solidly and on my intended pace. Then I did the exact opposite, shot off the start much too fast. Even though I could feel the pace was too much for me I just kept trying to follow them. I really paid the price for that mistake. Not my best decision making that is for sure. But there is always next time!
I appreciate you posting this story.

My half-marathon is tomorrow, and I just know I'll be tempted to go too fast in the hopes of chasing a POT. (I'm realistically aiming for a 2:20-2:25, which is just close enough to the 2:15 POT cutoff that it's really tempting to reach... and then crash.) This really reinforces the need to stick to a reasonable pace target; sometimes consistently slower really is faster.

I appreciate you posting this story.

My half-marathon is tomorrow, and I just know I'll be tempted to go too fast in the hopes of chasing a POT. (I'm realistically aiming for a 2:20-2:25, which is just close enough to the 2:15 POT cutoff that it's really tempting to reach... and then crash.) This really reinforces the need to stick to a reasonable pace target; sometimes consistently slower really is faster.
Yeah, stick to your planned pace. Always feels better to feel strong at the end of the race as opposed to simply trying to get to the finish before wheels fall off. Good luck!

My week in review.

It has been a good week, and I am feeling ready to jump back into my training plan after a nice restful week. This week I will be pushing harder as I only have a few weeks to make progress before NYC Marathon Is too close. The following week is my Mile-A-Thon, getting excited for that challenge. But unfortunately there is no time to ease into that week, so it is going to be two pretty big weeks in a row! Here we go.

The Week of Rest Review
9/19: No Run
9/20: No Run
9/21: 5 mile walk - walked Kai and then added two more miles to get to 5.
9/22: 5 mile walk - Really nice evening walk, my legs are feeling good. Ready to start running again.
9/23: 3 miles scheduled - completed 3.53 miles. Went easy, my legs felt a little heavy.
9/24: No Run
9/25: 10 miles scheduled - completed 10.5 miles. Very happy with today’s run. Maintained a solid easy pace and felt good throughout. Totally dumped rain on me, fun but VERY wet!

Next Week (Week 14 of Dopey/NYC Plan)
9/26: No Run
9/27: 4 miles scheduled - Tempo pace
9/28: 4 miles scheduled - Hill repeats & easy pace
9/29: 4 miles scheduled - Marathon Pace
9/30: No Run
10/1: 5.5 miles scheduled - trail run
10/2: 15 miles Scheduled - Long run/easy pace

My week in review, Week 14 Dopey/NYC:
9/26: Rest Day
9/27: 4 miles - completed 4.52 miles. Did some tempo work picking up the pace in miles two and three (8:52 & 8:44). Easied off in mile four.
9/28: 4 miles - completed 5.19 miles. Hill repeats with mile warm up and 2 mile warm down. Hills hurt…
9/29: 4 miles - completed 5.16 miles. Trying to capture marathon pace. Based on the half on 9/18 and time to marathon, I think I am shooting for 10 min/miles. Given that I was too fast today in attempting to go marathon pace in 9:44, 9:45 & 9:35. Will keep at that.
9/30: Rest Day
10/1: 5.5 miles - Completed 5.67 miles. Ran with Kai in North Park at Lake Lansing. It was really nice, though like running with the Tasmanian Devil!
10/2: 15 miles - Completed 15.52 miles. Attempted to stick with long run pace but kept going too fast. It is hard to keep the long run pace where I needed it. Such a beautiful morning though!
75A7A0A3-1438-474A-8E13-8976560321F7.jpeg
6984E59F-04B0-4E4A-AB9F-27F05AE06030.jpeg

Next Week, Week 15 Dopey/NYC:
10/3: Rest Day
10/4: 4 miles, long run pace - practice!
10/5: 4 miles, hill repeat work
10/6: 4 miles, long run pace
10/7: Rest Day
10/8: NYCM Mile-a-thon event, goal is 32 miles.
10/9: Rest Day (thank goodness!)

So next week is the week of my Mile-a-thon event. I am running for 8 hours as part of a fundraiser for the Celiac Disease Foundation; both my daughters have Celiac. I chose 8 hours to correspond to the 8 years they have both had Celiac; at least when it was diagnosed. So this is pretty personal, but I am getting pretty nervous! Sounded cool when I thought of the idea, but now that it is just days away I am thinking, what have I done! :)

I am going to be careful this week not pushing too hard and then going as slow as possible during the Mile-a-thon as I will only have a few weeks before the NYC Marathon. The two weeks after the mile-a-thon I will continue to build up before backing of during the taper. October will go by way too fast! Honestly though I am more nervous about building up the funds than I am the running, it is way harder than I thought! Here is to a good week! Thanks for reading.

The other day I came across a post on Facebook about a push-up challenge in support of resources for soldier suicides. I have decided to give it a try. So I will be attempting 2000 push-ups in the month of October; roughly 65 a day.

As I have been doing no cross training this will be a good challenge for me. After 2 days, I am 130 push-ups in ( and have sore arms…). If you are interested in giving it a try or want to learn more search it on Facebook.

So next week is the week of my Mile-a-thon event. I am running for 8 hours as part of a fundraiser for the Celiac Disease Foundation; both my daughters have Celiac. I chose 8 hours to correspond to the 8 years they have both had Celiac; at least when it was diagnosed. So this is pretty personal, but I am getting pretty nervous! Sounded cool when I thought of the idea, but now that it is just days away I am thinking, what have I done! :)
Do you have a fundraising page?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter