Bahamas currency

Bethislucy

DIS Veteran
I'm still new to the whole cruise thing we did our first one last October, but we didn't leave the ship. This year we aren't planning to do any excursions, but we are thinking about getting off and walking around the little area right near the ship in Nassau. My question is if we want to stop and purchase anything how do we pay. Also side note other than that trip I've never left the east coast of the USA so this is all very new to me.

US currency is all you need. You can use credit cards for purchases however there have been a lot of fraud with usage from there recently.
You don't need to convert to other currencies.

In my limited global travel experience, everyone just about everyone accepts US dollars.....

It’s even easier in the Bahamas because their dollar is pegged to the US dollar - so they’re equal.

Yes, US Dollar and Bahamian dollar are pretty much interchangeable in the Bahamas. Just a suggestion, if you're shopping and only there for a short time, ask for your change (if there is any!) in US Dollars.

In my limited global travel experience, everyone just about everyone accepts US dollars.....
…in the English-speaking Caribbean islands and cruise ports of Mexico. Do not expect US dollars to be accepted in Europe, Asia, South America, Canada, or even in the French or Dutch speaking Caribbean islands.

…in the English-speaking Caribbean islands and cruise ports of Mexico. Do not expect US dollars to be accepted in Europe, Asia, South America, Canada, or even in the French or Dutch speaking Caribbean islands.

It might have been pre-EU, but I definitely had some shopkeepers in Italy willing to do transactions in american dollars. Probably so they could run the sale off the books....

US currency is a pretty regular thing in Canada. It's excepted all over. You may not get the best exchange rate everywhere but there are very few places that would not except it. You may find a few 'mom and pop' stores that will send you away but that would be it.

US currency is a pretty regular thing in Canada. It's excepted all over. You may not get the best exchange rate everywhere but there are very few places that would not except it. You may find a few 'mom and pop' stores that will send you away but that would be it.

I didn't even think of this for Vancouver. We are spending a full day there before the cruise. Is it worth getting some Canadian Dollars from the bank, or would you feel comfortable with U.S. Dollars and credit cards? With only one full day, we will be in touristy areas, I'm sure. But I don't want to be the "ugly American" expecting people to cater to me either.

I didn't even think of this for Vancouver. We are spending a full day there before the cruise. Is it worth getting some Canadian Dollars from the bank, or would you feel comfortable with U.S. Dollars and credit cards? With only one full day, we will be in touristy areas, I'm sure. But I don't want to be the "ugly American" expecting people to cater to me either.
When I went to Montreal for a long weekend, I got Canadian currency from the ATM, and that housekeeper got the biggest tip ever because I had a ton of change that I didn't want to bring back home. It wasn't enough to justify switching back to US dollars...

Side note, I haven't been in 15 years and for some reason my piggy bank has oodles of canadian currency. I swear it's a sub-currency in this part.

That's a tricky question. Depends entirely on what you expect to do. If you think you will do a lot of shopping/spending buy some from your bank before leaving home. If you think it will just be for the odd trinket or drink, take US but in small denominations. I say small because if you give a store $5 US to purchase a $1.50 coke you are going to end up getting Canadian change, which you may not want. Also, you will not get your best rate by exchanging your US funds for purchases with a Canadian store, however if you are only purchasing a item for a dollar or two does it really matter that you are losing 4 or 5 cents on the dollar?
You can always use a US credit card for almost everything as well, including a small purchase of $1. Then you will not need to exchange anything before hand. Can't say what your CC company will charge for exchange however you will not go home with pesky Canadian change. Our $1 and $2 are coins so you could end up with a ton.
Hope this helps.

I live in Canada and, outside of extremely touristic spots like souvenir shops and restaurants in Old Montreal or Quebec City, where they accept it at par, US currency is not accepted anymore. It was different many years ago, when our economy was weak, but not anymore. It is a pain to convert because it is often not accepted by local branches of banks. The shop owners therefore must go out of their way to manage it.

In any case, cash is definitely not king here and every store automatically presents the terminal, even for the smallest of purchases. It’s been especially true since the pandemic. I haven‘t used any cash in 3 years, even if I go to our local farmers market every week.

I didn't even think of this for Vancouver. We are spending a full day there before the cruise. Is it worth getting some Canadian Dollars from the bank, or would you feel comfortable with U.S. Dollars and credit cards?
As I wrote in my previous post, plastic is king here. As long as you’re using MasterCard or Visa, you can pay everywhere. The maids in hotels will take anything you leave them, but you are not making it easy for them if you leave US cash since they can’t use it anywhere.

I live in Canada and, outside of extremely touristic spots like souvenir shops and restaurants in Old Montreal or Quebec City, where they accept it at par, US currency is not accepted anymore. It was different many years ago, when our economy was weak, but not anymore. It is a pain to convert because it is often not accepted by local branches of banks. The shop owners therefore must go out of their way to manage it.

In any case, cash is definitely not king here and every store automatically presents the terminal, even for the smallest of purchases. It’s been especially true since the pandemic. I haven‘t used any cash in 3 years, even if I go to our local farmers market every week.
I also live in Canada and am retired from banking. I can tell you US is most definitely still excepted. Banks buy it and sell it on a regular basis. It's very easy to convert at your bank. They will never tell you no. Also, having a US bank account is very common now, you can deposit US into them and withdraw US out of them. Very common.
No business is required to take US, it's really a courtesy, but they don't want to lose sales either. There are very few business who don't take it for that very reason. If that is what you offer them, they will smile and say thank you.

But, you are correct. Most people do not carry cash and use debit/credit. It makes it easier all around and that is why I explained, in my post after speaking about cash, that that may be best for the person depending on what their bank/CC charges would be.

Just in contrast to what some others have said I prefer to use credit cards when traveling. Just call them ahead of time and let them know when and where you will be traveling so they do not lock your card as possible fraud while you’re out.

While ending up with fraud later is a risk- the few times I’ve had this happen my credit card company always blocks it or reimburses me. Meanwhile if you carry large amounts of cash on you and it’s pick pocketed you’re just out of luck.
I'm still new to the whole cruise thing we did our first one last October, but we didn't leave the ship. This year we aren't planning to do any excursions, but we are thinking about getting off and walking around the little area right near the ship in Nassau. My question is if we want to stop and purchase anything how do we pay. Also side note other than that trip I've never left the east coast of the USA so this is all very new to me.

I also live in Canada and am retired from banking. I can tell you US is most definitely still excepted. Banks buy it and sell it on a regular basis. It's very easy to convert at your bank. They will never tell you no. Also, having a US bank account is very common now, you can deposit US into them and withdraw US out of them. Very common.
Maybe the situation is different where you are, but the two local banks and credit unions where we do business do not accept US currency or convert it. They can special order it, and accept deposits of checks issued in U.S. dollars, but we can't access our U.S. accounts either from the ATM nor from our online banking. The accounts simply do not show up. I always need to go to my local branch to deposit my Disney dividends check, and used to go to the regional branch to get U.S. cash before opting to simply withdraw it from an ATM in my destination airport a while ago.

And while all my family members are frequent travellers, my wife and I are the only people we know that possess bank accounts in U.S. dollars. I can't imagine that people holding low-paying jobs, like maids and taxi cab drivers, are any different considering the fees associated with maintaining an account under a certain balance.

Maybe the situation is different where you are, but the two local banks and credit unions where we do business do not accept US currency or convert it. They can special order it, and accept deposits of checks issued in U.S. dollars, but we can't access our U.S. accounts either from the ATM nor from our online banking. The accounts simply do not show up. I always need to go to my local branch to deposit my Disney dividends check, and used to go to the regional branch to get U.S. cash before opting to simply withdraw it from an ATM in my destination airport a while ago.

And while all my family members are frequent travellers, my wife and I are the only people we know that possess bank accounts in U.S. dollars. I can't imagine that people holding low-paying jobs, like maids and taxi cab drivers, are any different considering the fees associated with maintaining an account under a certain balance.
I don't think I have ever disagreed with you before however on this, we will agree to disagree.
I know several people personally who have low paying jobs and have US bank accounts. They purchase occasionally to keep for when they do get to travel. From working in one of the five big banks I can tell you this is not uncommon. Credit Unions could be a different story, I have little knowledge of them. Also, your US account would be covered under any bank plan you may have with your bank so there would be no additional costs to it.
Not sure where you bank however our US bank accounts do show up for online banking and we can not only transfer from our Canadian account into our US account and back again if we so choose, we can also pay our US MC online. The only time we need to go into the bank is when we actually need US cash or, as you have mentioned, to deposit our Disney dividend cheques.
So, we will agree to disagree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter