Bad "etiquette", or not?

I would re-order that:

- 5 % will stand up to cutters and be a jerk about it AND need to get a life

-1% might start a fight.

I like the way you re-ordered my example. Nice job, But..

The 5% that you said will stand-up and be a jerk... needs a little softening.

When someone tries to cut in front of me- Here's what I do-

"sir I will not let you pass, I am waiting in line like everyone else. If you have a problem, please go get a cast member and tell him why you need to get to the front of the line. If you have a legitimate reason I'm sure the staff will help you"

Funny, but that ends it right there! :confused3 Pretty simple pixiedust:

Free2BMe said:
On the same topic, what is the ettiquette for medical issuses? My 2 year old dd has a serious heart condition and is prone to anxiety attacks in crowds - not a good combination (heart races uncontrollably). I was planning on letting my husband and son wait in line while I found a spot outside of line (not stuck in the crowd) and catch up with them in line
Sleeping Becca said:
Go to Guest Relations and tell them about your situation and they will give you a special pass for your family to use so you don't have to wait in the main line. You and your family (up to 5 total) will be able to use the handicap entrance.
Whenever possible, there ARE no 'handicap' entrances for Disney rides and attractions. As much as possible, the lines are designed to accommodate wheelchairs and ECVs - so everybody waits in the same line for the same amount of time.

Free2BMe - Yes, go to Guest Relations at any park (City Hall at the Magic Kingdom) with your daughter, and explain her needs - not her condition/diagnosis - to the Cast Member. Most likely, especially given her age, you should be allowed to do "stroller as wheelchair", keeping your daughter in the stroller through the entire queue. You might also want to practice a form of 'barrier-waiting', where your DH stands a couple of feet ahead of her and you behind the stroller - creating sort of a buffer area.

[sarcasm]Can I have my family go pool hopping while I'm getting the fastpass?[/sarcasm]

Yet again, this horse is dead and buried and we must continue beating it.

I really don't understand the "you're on vacation so don't get upset if people cut in front of you" train of thought...:confused3

No, it's not going to ruin my vacation, but to enter a line which you were NOT PREVIOUSLY a member of....is RUDE, plain and simple....

So much of the "Me" generation at work here....:sad2:

annoyed
- 5 % will stand up to cutters and be a jerk about it AND need to get a life because there are far more important things on this planet to get worked up about
So, everyone who stands up to line cutters is a jerk that needs to get a life, regardless of the behavior of the people who are cutting the line.

Therefore, by your logic, I must think that all Canadians are just overly opinionated ignoramuses.

Or maybe they aren't, and maybe narrow-mindedness is something we should all try to remove from our own lives. It takes two to tango.

It wouldn't bother me. Especially if it were just one person. I have no idea what a person's reason was for being late to join the rest of their party in line. Maybe they had to go to the bathroom or something. Who cares? It's just not worth getting upset about.

It's just not worth getting upset about.

I don't get upset or emotional about simply saying-

"sir I will not let you pass, I am waiting in line like everyone else. If you have a problem, please go get a cast member and tell him why you need to get to the front of the line. If you have a legitimate reason I'm sure the staff will help you"

It wouldn't bother me. Especially if it were just one person. I have no idea what a person's reason was for being late to join the rest of their party in line. Maybe they had to go to the bathroom or something. Who cares? It's just not worth getting upset about.

This really isn't that hard....I have to go to the bathroom all the dang time....so my family WAITS for me before they enter the line....

This really isn't that hard....I have to go to the bathroom all the dang time....so my family WAITS for me before they enter the line....

We all gotta do what works for us. If Markstudy wants to tell someone he will not let them pass, and if MichelleVW wants to wait till her whole party is together before entering the line, go for it.

I'm just saying that for me, I just don't really care if someone joins their party late. I'll let them by no problem. It just doesn't bother me.

Whenever possible, there ARE no 'handicap' entrances for Disney rides and attractions. As much as possible, the lines are designed to accommodate wheelchairs and ECVs - so everybody waits in the same line for the same amount of time.

Yes, this is true for most parks. For most MK attractions there is still a handicap entrance or in some attractions a separate waiting area. At guest relations they will give you a brochure describing where to go and what to do for each attraction. Of course you can always ask a cast member working the attraction what to do and where to go.

CMs are very nice and accomodating, even though the disability is not outwardly visable, I can't say the same for the other folks in line with you. Some of them can be real jerks.

I am our FP runner and my husband will either take our son to the bathroom or go and look around at things. They wait to get in line once I get back.

We all gotta do what works for us. If Markstudy wants to tell someone he will not let them pass, and if MichelleVW wants to wait till her whole party is together before entering the line, go for it.

I'm just saying that for me, I just don't really care if someone joins their party late. I'll let them by no problem. It just doesn't bother me.

Ditto.

I am about the last person you would ever see doing anything rude, I am just oozing with southern hospitality when it comes to dealing with strangers. :laughing: And I am not a confrontational person, so yes, even if someone tried to cut me I would not say anything about it. I might subtly try to block them, but there have been many times in life that people got by me...and I got over it. I won't raise a stink about someone else being rude.

BUT, it never even so much as occured to me to think that a person catching up to their party was equal to a "line cutter"...I just never even thought of it that way. When I think cutting line, I think people just doing it on their own to get ahead, or maybe the annoying groups of 3 or 4 who "catch up" to friends or family, when really they weren't catching up...they had been doing something else, noticed the family/friends there ahead in line and selfishly thought to join them instead of waiting. A mom or dad straggling behind with a slower little one trying to join their party, does not seem like they are cutting line. I don't think they walk up to the line thinking "I'm going to be a jerk and fly past all these people who waited because I'm special..." but instead they are just catching up.
I wonder how many innocent moms or dads or little ones have had rude encounters with people who acted like they were criminals when they didn't even realize they did something "wrong?"

Some of us don't get to go to WDW yearly, or multiple times a year, so we don't know about this type of "ride ettiquette." But I've waited for my dh to catch up or come back from the bathroom in lines at the movies, the grocery store, and so on, and never thought twice we were doing anything rude.

On the same topic, what is the ettiquette for medical issuses? My 2 year old dd has a serious heart condition and is prone to anxiety attacks in crowds - not a good combination (heart races uncontrollably). I was planning on letting my husband and son wait in line while I found a spot outside of line (not stuck in the crowd) and catch up with them in line. Now I see that this might not work. Is there a bracelet or anything for medical issues. It's not that I want to go to the front, I'd wait the same amount of time. I just would rather not have my dd have a heart attack at WDW. Actually, I'm sure no one in line with us would like that either. Oh and yes, I'm aware WDW is full of crowds, but outside of line we can take her to a quiet place and calm her down. In the lines we have a problem.

With a heart condition, there may be accomodations. Definitely check that out. There is an entire board of great advice on the Dis that can provide up-to-date info on the subject.

Markstudy, I'd want to hug you! ;)

Ditto.

I am about the last person you would ever see doing anything rude, I am just oozing with southern hospitality when it comes to dealing with strangers. :laughing: And I am not a confrontational person, so yes, even if someone tried to cut me I would not say anything about it. I might subtly try to block them, but there have been many times in life that people got by me...and I got over it. I won't raise a stink about someone else being rude.

BUT, it never even so much as occured to me to think that a person catching up to their party was equal to a "line cutter"...I just never even thought of it that way. When I think cutting line, I think people just doing it on their own to get ahead, or maybe the annoying groups of 3 or 4 who "catch up" to friends or family, when really they weren't catching up...they had been doing something else, noticed the family/friends there ahead in line and selfishly thought to join them instead of waiting. A mom or dad straggling behind with a slower little one trying to join their party, does not seem like they are cutting line. I don't think they walk up to the line thinking "I'm going to be a jerk and fly past all these people who waited because I'm special..." but instead they are just catching up.
I wonder how many innocent moms or dads or little ones have had rude encounters with people who acted like they were criminals when they didn't even realize they did something "wrong?"

Some of us don't get to go to WDW yearly, or multiple times a year, so we don't know about this type of "ride ettiquette." But I've waited for my dh to catch up or come back from the bathroom in lines at the movies, the grocery store, and so on, and never thought twice we were doing anything rude.

Exactly! If I know someone is cutting, I will (and have) say something. That ain't cool.

But catching up to their party does not make someone a line jumper in my book.

IMHO, if your whole family waits in line, and only 1 person come later to catch up, that's fine with me. What I hate is when 1 person holds a place in line and 6 people try to join in later. That's a no-no.

ITA!!!!!!!!!
Another thing ..... if the line is still outside the main que... like for Space Mtn. if the line is still outside and like stretches towards the Ostro Orbiter... that would be fine with me....
But to have to squeeze your way all the way up front.... uh, NO-NO.

Pee before getting in line.
Get your fastpass for the next ride before getting in line.
Get your drink before getting in line.

If a small kid is in line and obviously has to use the restroom, then one parent and that kid can leave, use the restroom and return. OK

ETA: If you want to ride with the family and have to join them later, what we do is the person in line moves to the side and lets others pass and when they other member joins them they go on the ride together.

My feeling is that you are vacationing together as a family. We wait for anyone who has to use the bathroom. We get our fastpasses together. We get a snack together. We get in line together. Why rush? How many more attractions are you going to see by sending your family in front of you? Trying to get passed a number of people in line to catch up with your group is stressful for everyone. No thank you.

Cutting in line is rude anywhere, not just Disney World. Are there truly people who did not get taught this when they were a kid?

You are right there are people who have legitimate dis-abilities that may not allow them to wait like everyone else. They go to Guest Services and get their cards to allow them special accommodations.

While I won't say anything to someone with a small child who had to use the restroom, that truly shouldn't be necessary either. When one of my daughters was 4 she had to use the restroom after about 10 minutes in line (not at DW). The whole family left the line while she and I found a restroom and then we all went to the end of the line to start our wait all over again. Because she (and the rest of us) were inconvenienced, it made a big impression on her and we never had to leave a line to use the bathroom again.

I mean this in the most kind way to possibly put it: CHILL OUT PEOPLE. You are on vacation....relax a little and stop to smell the roses. Whether that means you have to wait a little extra in line or excuse a fellow human being for something out of control. We all (myself included) need to chill on vacation and just take it easy. It seems we have schedules to meet people to beat and such. The next time we go to WDW we are not going to use a schedule. We are just going to get up and go.

Now on the other hand if 20 people are cutting in line and being disrespectful then I think the cast members can figure that out and take care of the situation. But don't ruin vacation for your kids or other family by making a scene.

Just my humble and kind opinion.

Thank You for saying that. I don't know what I would give to have people "Chill out" like you say. Honestly the people I have met that have one of the best times in the park are those that just go with the flow and "Chill Out". Wow, those folks really do make your day.

To answer the question. Now, most people that 'cut' the line are either alone or with a bunch of kids and if you guess it's because they had to use the bathroom, then you guess it right. Bathroom issues, count for over 90% of the people that either get out of line and have some one hold their place or join the family later. There is a huge variety of reasons why people do this and I would say that over 80 percent of that 90 percentile by the time, they ask you for the bathroom they are almost ready to do it on themselves. That includes adults. Interesting little piece is that IMO, almost everybody sound embarrassed to either ask for it or to even show that they had to go. Folks, we all go; I don't see what's the problem.

Just in case anyone wonders the reasons for the other 10% it varies and some of them are just too personal of those folks that I wished not to touched upon them, since there is no necessity. Honestly the amount of people that do this because of 'going to do a ride', 'getting a fastpass' or any trivial reason is rather small. The thing is that those are the ones that you remember the most.

As for the OP question if it's rude, here is my humble opinion. I think it's always rude to cut a line. However if you have an emergency (like going to the bathroom, baby issues, etc) and you need to get out of line and someone remains there. Dude, when you get back I'm not going to give you a hard time. I mean honestly most folks would extend me the same courtesy; so why not chill out and let the person go do his stuff and let them pass when he comes back.

Here is something that I always do, when I have to cut a line. This not only to cut some bad feelings, but also out of respect of those of you that had the blessing to calmly remain on the line, while I had to go like a mad person looking for a bathroom. If I cut in line I usually go around 'Excuse, I'm sorry, could I please join my family." No need to give details because I'm usually only one or I have little ones with me. Most people don't need an explanation for why I'm I doing it. You do encounter folks however, that not only that give you a hard time, but also want an explanation... I'll take the 5th on those situations.

Now if you are a group of 20, then you'll need something called organization. One: the lines are designed to hold folks standing one after the other. If 20 folks come in then you are a) Not standing in line, because the lines would only fit one person at a time and the line is probably backed out and, b) Being rude. Two: Cast members are not counting 20 people with you because, guess what? They can't see them. By cutting the line you are literally messing up with the way their operations go, which eventually comes back to hunt you. So if you are a group of 20, I'm afraid that you'll need to organize yourselves better. Stand all in the line and don't send just one, because others are doing a 'ride'. It's not only rude it clearly shows a lack of organization, respect for others and disregard for the rules. I don't hold against you if you have to go to the bathroom or if you have any other emergency but cutting on the sole purpose of not wanting to do the line just shows an abysmal lack of manners.

Just a heads up, that if indeed the person did have a legitimate reason most cast members will indeed put the person where his family is or will find a way to accommodate them, if the situation allows them to do so. There is no reason for cast members to punish anyone for a legitimate reason. The same courtesy that I'm extending to that person; I will extend it to you, if in need of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter