Backyard Camping as Prep! Having fun!

MandLBee

Mouseketeer
We have set up our campsite in our backyard. Last year, the kids had a TERRIBLE camping experience so we decided to do a trial run because of their apprehension. As well, we wanted to be sure we could handle tent camping during the rainy season for 7 nights.
We are simulating our schedule, too, with cooking outside on camp equipment on certain days and making food in the house for ADRs :) We put up a rain tarp over both tents last night and then slept in the thunderstorm. Some tweaking to do, but so far, so good! Starting to believe it's all possible!!!

We have set up our campsite in our backyard. Last year, the kids had a TERRIBLE camping experience so we decided to do a trial run because of their apprehension. As well, we wanted to be sure we could handle tent camping during the rainy season for 7 nights.
We are simulating our schedule, too, with cooking outside on camp equipment on certain days and making food in the house for ADRs :) We put up a rain tarp over both tents last night and then slept in the thunderstorm. Some tweaking to do, but so far, so good! Starting to believe it's all possible!!!

Wow, I'm impressed! You really 'mean' that you want to tent camp and make it work/fun! Don't think (in fact, I know) I could not sleep in a tent in a storm - don't even want to be in our mh during a storm - was in it once during the remnant of a hurricane and don't 'ever' want to repeat that horrible experience/feeling! :scared:

Am sure (because you are willing to go as far as you have) that your camping trips will all work out just fine and the children will adjust and learn to enjoy it. May you have many wonderful vacations 'away' from home!! Don't think I've ever heard of someone being as determined as you are! :charac2: pixiedust:

I could not sleep in a tent in a storm
Well this depends....

A nice summer rain storm??? I love it in a tent. The pitter patter of the rain, to me, is so relaxing. Now a hurricane or even a windy heavy storm? Maybe not so much, but a nice summer or spring storm is pretty relaxing. IMHO anyway. :cloud9:

Well this depends....

A nice summer rain storm??? I love it in a tent. The pitter patter of the rain, to me, is so relaxing. Now a hurricane or even a windy heavy storm? Maybe not so much, but a nice summer or spring storm is pretty relaxing. IMHO anyway. :cloud9:

Well, with all due respect, a gentle rain, or even a heavier rain is not usually a 'storm'! :)
I'm thinking thunder and lightning when I think of 'storm'!!
We are in lots of rains in our various camping trips, but I don't like storms while camping. If possible, we usually seek shelter elsewhere when this happens! :goodvibes

MandLBee love your basic idea Sounds like what I recommend to friends new to assorted camping styles. One thing to consider while at home if it all goes sideways don't be afraid to cancel early and review what went right and wrong make adjustments for another try. One good thing You will be at WDW and your kids will likely be exhausted and fall right off once the hit the rack. Plus no need to worry about Nightly baths as it all good clean Disney dirt

See.... I am one of those "Freaky" people. I like a good storm. Lightening and Thunder included. I will go out on my front porch and sit on the swing during a storm and sing to my self... "I love a rainy night...." (Finger snapping and everything. My wife and kids think I am nuts.... (and I probably am a bit.) As long as the wind is not cranked above about 7-10 MPH. Once it gets that way, I don't like it. Or if it's COLD and raining.

I can sit on the porch and watch a "Thunder Storm" for hours. It's just relaxing to me. I know it's not for everyone though. So be safe.

See.... I am one of those "Freaky" people. I like a good storm. Lightening and Thunder included. I will go out on my front porch and sit on the swing during a storm and sing to my self... "I love a rainy night...." (Finger snapping and everything. My wife and kids think I am nuts.... (and I probably am a bit.) As long as the wind is not cranked above about 7-10 MPH. Once it gets that way, I don't like it. Or if it's COLD and raining.

I can sit on the porch and watch a "Thunder Storm" for hours. It's just relaxing to me. I know it's not for everyone though. So be safe.

Aren't you afraid of being 'lit' up?? Maybe I'm part 'scaredy cat', but we were always taught 'if you can hear thunder, there's lightning in the air'!! I'll just stick with the rains without thunder/lightning activity!! That, I enjoy! :goodvibes

I always suggest exactly what you are doing to people when they post on here wanting advice about getting ready. Good for you.

As far as camping in storms, lightning isn't so bad. It saves you on batteries to keep the tent lit up.

Now earthquakes...that's a different story.

Aaaand my 14 year old is out. He just does not want to hang out with his family sans friends in a camping environment for a week. I'm sad :( I'm not into forcing a cranky teen into vacation when all the others are super enthusiastic and feel the magic.

We planned on practicing this weekend too, but our grass is wetter than Disney dirt (at least i hope). I would not have thought of food practice though. I like a practice night so i can re-waterproof and make sure everything made it through the winter. Have to make sure to get it done next week.

Parris Island might be a nice option for your son since he is too grown up to vacation with his family. Best part, it just off I95 and lots of adult supervision with a wide variety of activities

If it wasn't for the language you could show him the first 30 minutes of Full Metal Jacket with Lee Ermey as the drill instructor. But, they do get to shoot lots and lots of machine guns and you get to learn hand to hand combat basics which could come in handy if camping in unsavory locations.

Well, the 14 y/o won't have any problems doing it at Disney I bet.

If it wasn't for the language you could show him the first 30 minutes of Full Metal Jacket with Lee Ermey as the drill instructor. But, they do get to shoot lots and lots of machine guns and you get to learn hand to hand combat basics which could come in handy if camping in unsavory locations.

Well, the 14 y/o won't have any problems doing it at Disney I bet.
He is goin to stay with his grandmother and go to various social activities and help her on a short road trip she is making. We will miss him, but it's for the best.

I have to laugh My niece Maddy Since she was 17 and saw pics of us at CP with Winnie and company threatening to STOWAWAY in our coach to go She is now 22. Since found out her parents have been considering sending her, Sister Katie, and Brother Brendan, as a group to celebrate collective college graduations she is trying to get them to schedule when Lucille and I will be there as her personal guide

We once forced our teenage son to go with us. You are making the right decision.

I agree. My son stopped wanting to travel with us to Disney at age 17. He stuck it out that long because we always had the dining plan and it was before they adjusted it. He loved the restaurants and being able to get whatever he wanted. At home, Mom works and cooking was abbreviated to say the least.

But, the year he turned 17 we went to Disney's Hilton Head resort. Couldn't get him to leave the room. We had a studio and we were all miserable so I managed to get a larger room for the last few nights and that sort of saved the trip.

Next time he wanted to go there was a girl involved for part of the stay. Once she was gone home, he wanted to shorten our vacation and leave also. I gave him directions to MCO - but since I didn't pay to adjust his ticket, we ended up stuck with him. He's 33 now and still doesn't enjoy camping, Disney or road trips.

I agree. My son stopped wanting to travel with us to Disney at age 17. He stuck it out that long because we always had the dining plan and it was before they adjusted it. He loved the restaurants and being able to get whatever he wanted. At home, Mom works and cooking was abbreviated to say the least.

But, the year he turned 17 we went to Disney's Hilton Head resort. Couldn't get him to leave the room. We had a studio and we were all miserable so I managed to get a larger room for the last few nights and that sort of saved the trip.

Next time he wanted to go there was a girl involved for part of the stay. Once she was gone home, he wanted to shorten our vacation and leave also. I gave him directions to MCO - but since I didn't pay to adjust his ticket, we ended up stuck with him. He's 33 now and still doesn't enjoy camping, Disney or road trips.
Ugh, I'm sorry this happened! I get that it's not his thing. If I had room in my car or budget I would bring along a friend for him and let them loose. But that's not happening, so this is better. He is breaking out to build his own life and we have to let him.

... Now earthquakes...that's a different story.
Hopefully the tent is large enough, made of nylon and you are smart enough to grab the four corners to usea as a parachute to cushion the stop at the bottom. Now if a sink hole opens up you can pretty much kiss your tushie bye bye

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter