B&C vs. Fountain? Shula's vs. Yachtsman?

cgattis

DIS Veteran
Okay, guys, looking for some comparisons. Heading down this year for our first F&W (yay!), ToT race, my milestone birthday (don't ask), and looking to do less commando and more hanging out this time. Staying at the Dolphin; stayed the first time in December and loved it.

Trying to loosely plan our days and thinking logistics of where to eat and when. Thinking we'll grab a burger for lunch before my daughter's surprise late birthday present fishing excursion (shhh!). Ice cream aside--because the Kitchen Sink just doesn't appeal to me, and the kids will eat a scoop from whereever--who has the best burger, The Fountain or Beaches and Cream?

Also, hubby wants a steak one night, and we'd like to give Shula's a shot. The kids could play in the club for free while we eat, so the cost will be a wash between the two (Shula's is higher, but won't have to pay for the kids to eat--they get fed at the club). And both of us will order the filet at either one, so...who has the best filet, Shula's or Yachtsman?

Love to hear some comparisons!

I'e eaten many times at both B&C and The Fountain. We like the food much better at The Fountain, but the atmosphere is more fun over at B&C. I'd also have to give B&C credit for better service than The Fountain. Pricing is about the same.

Okay, guys, looking for some comparisons. Heading down this year for our first F&W (yay!), ToT race, my milestone birthday (don't ask), and looking to do less commando and more hanging out this time. Staying at the Dolphin; stayed the first time in December and loved it.

Trying to loosely plan our days and thinking logistics of where to eat and when. Thinking we'll grab a burger for lunch before my daughter's surprise late birthday present fishing excursion (shhh!). Ice cream aside--because the Kitchen Sink just doesn't appeal to me, and the kids will eat a scoop from whereever--who has the best burger, The Fountain or Beaches and Cream?

Also, hubby wants a steak one night, and we'd like to give Shula's a shot. The kids could play in the club for free while we eat, so the cost will be a wash between the two (Shula's is higher, but won't have to pay for the kids to eat--they get fed at the club). And both of us will order the filet at either one, so...who has the best filet, Shula's or Yachtsman?

Beaches & Cream burger is immaculate. We make sure to sit down and eat there usually twice per visit not even considering the countless milkshakes from the to-go part of the restaurant!

And both of us will order the filet at either one, so...who has the best filet, Shula's or Yachtsman?

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority here, but I actually prefer the filet at YSH. The filet is definitely my steak of choice, so I've had the filet at Le Cellier, Chefs de France, Narcoossee's, Citricos, California Grill and Jiko in addition to Shula's and Yachtsman. I've had the filet at YSH three times now and each time it was cooked as ordered, to a perfect medium well (with a slightly pink center). Plus I really like the red wine sauce and the mashed potatoes which accompany it. Although the quality of the beef was excellent at Shula's and it was a much larger steak, my filet was overcooked (well done with no pink whatsoever) and rather dry and flavorless. It seemed to have very little seasoning if any, plus DH and I did not care for the sauce which was served on the side in a small bowl rather than on the steak. In addition, it does not come with any side dishes. However, we did order (and paid for) a side of sauteed mushrooms, which were delicious. Placing the mushrooms on top of the filet greatly improved it. :thumbsup2 The other side we ordered, hash browns or potato pancake (can't remember what they called them exactly), was nothing special though and I would not recommend.

So anyway, for a filet I would choose Yachtsman over Shula's and all the other Disney restaurants that I mentioned above. But if you do choose to go to Shula's, I would consider sharing a filet (as it is very large) and also ordering appetizers (the shrimp and french onion soup were both excellent), a side of mushrooms, and the chocolate souffle for dessert. Enjoy! :thumbsup2

I can only answer between B&C and Fountains - Fountains is SO much better. Their burgers were very good, much much much better than B&C. The decor is nicer at B&C for their theming but if you want better food, I would go with the other.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority here, but I actually prefer the filet at YSH. The filet is definitely my steak of choice, so I've had the filet at Le Cellier, Chefs de France, Narcoossee's, Citricos, California Grill and Jiko in addition to Shula's and Yachtsman. I've had the filet at YSH three times now and each time it was cooked as ordered, to a perfect medium well (with a slightly pink center). Plus I really like the red wine sauce and the mashed potatoes which accompany it. Although the quality of the beef was excellent at Shula's and it was a much larger steak, my filet was overcooked (well done with no pink whatsoever) and rather dry and flavorless. It seemed to have very little seasoning if any, plus DH and I did not care for the sauce which was served on the side in a small bowl rather than on the steak. In addition, it does not come with any side dishes. However, we did order (and paid for) a side of sauteed mushrooms, which were delicious. Placing the mushrooms on top of the filet greatly improved it. :thumbsup2 The other side we ordered, hash browns or potato pancake (can't remember what they called them exactly), was nothing special though and I would not recommend.

So anyway, for a filet I would choose Yachtsman over Shula's and all the other Disney restaurants that I mentioned above. But if you do choose to go to Shula's, I would consider sharing a filet (as it is very large) and also ordering appetizers (the shrimp and french onion soup were both excellent), a side of mushrooms, and the chocolate souffle for dessert. Enjoy! :thumbsup2

I actually prefer YSH over Shula's. Shula's is an excellent restaurant, and probably has a better quality of beef, but in my experiences I prefered YSH's preparation. It's personal preference, but I feel Shula's under seasoned my steak. No matter how good the cut is, you still need some seasoning.

YSH may be considered a step down quality wise, but I've preferred them from an overall experience perspective. I've enjoyed the steak preparation, sides, and service over my Shula's experience.

I understand that most will say Shula's wins hands down, but I personally haven't had a meal at YSH yet that pushed to Shula's full time ... although I will continue to enjoy both

I actually prefer YSH over Shula's. Shula's is an excellent restaurant, and probably has a better quality of beef, but in my experiences I prefered YSH's preparation. It's personal preference, but I feel Shula's under seasoned my steak. No matter how good the cut is, you still need some seasoning.

My thoughts exactly...agree with you 100% in regard to the Shula's vs. YSH steak! I'm so glad I'm not the only one here who was not "wowed" by the preparation of the steaks at Shula's. ;)

Add another to the YS side. To me Shula's is jsut another chain type steakhouse (although prime quality). Being from Chicago I can visit these types anytime and do. Now if either one of these added fresh oysters to the menu I'm avaialable to switch teams. :lmao:

Never been to Shula's, but I have to say I love Yachtsman. I think it's one of the best WDW restaurants. The steaks might be slightly worse quality (I wouldn't know), but everything else about the food seems to be more innovative and upscale at Yachtsman. See my latest Yachtsman review (from the beginning of March) here - I'm more interested in this type of food over the traditional steakhouse appetizers, sides, and desserts available at Shula's. :)

For burgers the Fountain is significantly better than B&C. We used to be big B&C fans but then we tried the Fountain after friends recommended it and it was so much better.

If I had to choose between the two, I would pick Shula's every time. Not that it's the best steak on property at all (it's not), but Yachtsman has just been awful every time we've tried it....and I really don't care for the atmosphere either. Shula's wins for us.

Ok, the Dolphin resort edges out both questions.

Burgers: Beaches and Cream used to have a terrific burger, but now it's just ok. The Fountain has a way better burger. If ice cream was a factor, I'd say to get the burgers at the Fountain and get the specialty sundaes at Beaches and Cream. Good thing you don't have ice cream preferences. ;)

Steaks: Shula's has better quality steaks than Yachtsman.

We find the Fountain to be easier to get into and very pleasant. B&C has a few notable items like the No Way Jose...but usually not worth the effort to wait for a table in such a small place and then often our large party must split up. We actually prefer Ghirardelli for ice cream.

I have never been to Shula's but DH frequents Shula's and restaurants like it while on business. I can tell you he has NO desire to ever dine at Shula's while on vacation and he has made that abundantly clear to me! He would prefer any Disney restaurant over a chain restaurant while on vacation. It's just a personal preference. He wants the theming, the magic...not Ruth's Chris, Shula's, etc...He wants an escape from anything that reminds him of business. He would prefer steak from AP, Jiko, FF any signature WDW restaurant over Shula's.

Best burger on property - Fountain
(B&C has slipped mightily over recent years)
Best steaks on property - Shula's
(YS is solid enough, but not Shula's good...)

plus, you are staying at the Dolphin, so both are an elevator ride away.

I enjoyed both steak houses.
I'd go to the Yachtsman.

Never been to the Fountain, but I will next trip.
Beaches & Cream is good and it seems we go there every trip, but it's ain't all that and a bag of chips.

Going through the same scenario as you...for my milestone birthday I am thinking of a spa day and lunch at the Dolphin and dinner at either Shula's or Yachtman.

If we do lunch at the Dolphin it would be at the outside Tiki Bar because of the atmosphere and cocktails. Food is good too. Prefer Beaches and Cream food over the Fountain but the Fountain is a much quieter restaurant, especially at lunchtime.

Been to Shula's and it was excellent but I decided to go back to the Yachtsman because the appies and desserts are much better. The steaks at both places were great so you cannot lose with whatever you choose.

We eat @ Yachtsman's almost every trip. Finally tried Shula's a few years ago after reading all the rave reviews. Eh, it was OK. We did not feel it was significantly better than Yachtsman's. Maybe we'll give it another go sometime, but for now, we prefer Yachtsman's. I usually get the fillet, but the strip steak I had last time was absolutely amazing. Perfectly medium rare, so tender & best flavor ever.

I've eaten the filet at both YSH and Shula's. I think it depends on how you like your steak. From my experience, Shula's steak is a higher quality cut of beef, and you really get more of the "meat" taste with much less seasoning. YSH seasons their steak more, and since I like a more seasoned steak, I preferred that one. My husband, on the other hand, likes a more pure beef taste and therefore liked Shula's better. We both preferred the side dishes, drinks, and atmosphere at Shula's. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

That said...the best steak I've had at WDW (and quite possibly the best meal I've ever had) was at California Grill. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter