AVATAR Land Construction Area Expanding

Have they actually started any real construction yet? or is it all still prep and clearance stuff?

I'm STILL not convinced Avatar land will ever really happen.

Have they actually started any real construction yet? or is it all still prep and clearance stuff? I'm STILL not convinced Avatar land will ever really happen.
They've had delays in pouring foundations verticals construction is expected late 2014 or January. They have everything cleared and prep it's just getting the concrete poured.

They've had delays in pouring foundations verticals construction is expected late 2014 or January. They have everything cleared and prep it's just getting the concrete poured.

With all the rain we had in September, this doesn't surprise.

I'm still not convinced it will be Avatarland in the end. But maybe that's just wishful thinking.

A quote from the article:

"Beginning October 15, more construction walls will installed around Discovery Island as new infrastructure work is scheduled to start to support the AVATAR-inspired land and other park projects."

The 'other park projects' portion is the wild card on whether this expanded construction is truly for the Avatar project or something else (like a bathroom). It could be both, but there's the absence of absolution that never seems to be very far away...

A quote from the article: "Beginning October 15, more construction walls will installed around Discovery Island as new infrastructure work is scheduled to start to support the AVATAR-inspired land and other park projects." The 'other park projects' portion is the wild card on whether this expanded construction is truly for the Avatar project or something else (like a bathroom). It could be both, but there's the absence of absolution that never seems to be very far away...
Well they have been doing a lot of construction work for rivers of light as well. Animal kingdom is under a massive renovation project to truly make it a full day park I'm sure there will be more too it than just avatar. Infrastructure work has to be done in these large projects. Bathrooms would make sense.

So Avatar 2 comes out December 2016 and Avatar land comes out in 2017. Well, at least there will be something new there.

I wonder how many years we have to wait for Studios to move out of half day territory.

So Avatar 2 comes out December 2016 and Avatar land comes out in 2017. Well, at least there will be something new there. I wonder how many years we have to wait for Studios to move out of half day territory.
Few more years...

Few more years...

I'll place my bets on WDW's 50th anniversary in 2021 as the date when anything announced going forward is officially finished. If something just happens to be done before that, then I'll be thrilled...but am otherwise trying to keep my expectations somewhat reasonable.

I'll place my bets on WDW's 50th anniversary in 2021 as the date when anything announced going forward is officially finished. If something just happens to be done before that, then I'll be thrilled...but am otherwise trying to keep my expectations somewhat reasonable.
this will most likely be a phased opening like DCA was because you can't close a park a very large part of DHS will be under construction and once something is finished it will open but I would agree that 2021 would be when everything is done.

So Avatar 2 comes out December 2016 and Avatar land comes out in 2017. Well, at least there will be something new there.

I wonder how many years we have to wait for Studios to move out of half day territory.

Lots of people on the imdb forum for Avatar 2 seem to think the film might now get pushed back to 2017.

Having the film and land open in the same year could work and help protect each other from one being a flop. We'll see...

Lots of people on the imdb forum for Avatar 2 seem to think the film might now get pushed back to 2017.

Having the film and land open in the same year could work and help protect each other from one being a flop. We'll see...

zero chance of either being a flop:)

zero chance of either being a flop:)

Yeah...even if the sequel is a flop doen't mean that the *land* at AK will be a flop.

People go to WDW because it's WDW. If the rides and experiences are great...that's really all that matters.

How many "Song Of The South" fans are there>

Not many, huh?

But Splash Mountain sure is popular.:confused3

Yeah...even if the sequel is a flop doen't mean that the *land* at AK will be a flop.

People go to WDW because it's WDW. If the rides and experiences are great...that's really all that matters.

Not many, huh?

:thumbsup2

"I love Br'er Rabbit!" "Who's Br'er Rabbit?" "I don't know!"

:hippie:

Not many, huh?

I think you'd be surprised at how many fans there are of that movie. Whether it's because of it's forbidden fruit status or a true masterpiece is up for debate.

We just got back from WDW last week, and the amount of construction going on EVERYWHERE is amazing. Every park, DT Disney/Dis Springs, just everywhere. One of the tours we took made a point of mentioning the updating is scheduled to be finished in the next four years, so this prediction is probably pretty spot on.

I'm still grieving over future Avatar-land. Not looking forward to it, and I still don't understand why they tanked the concept for "fantasy beasties" that I understand was originally in place? I would LOVE to see what they would have done with dragons and griffins and unicorns and things. Anyone seen the steampunk dragon in the Festival of Fantasy parade? Incredible!

But no. We get tall blue people. *sigh* :confused:

I'm still grieving over future Avatar-land. Not looking forward to it, and I still don't understand why they tanked the concept for "fantasy beasties" that I understand was originally in place? I would LOVE to see what they would have done with dragons and griffins and unicorns and things. Anyone seen the steampunk dragon in the Festival of Fantasy parade? Incredible!

But no. We get tall blue people. *sigh* :confused:
I think a lot of people certainly agree with your thoughts on this! The only possible expiration I can see is that someone really did some arm twisting to get Avatar-Land (maybe Cameron himself?). They were already heading towards the mythical beasts same with the Yeti and I was personally hoping that direction would continue. There are so many mythical/fantasy beasts that could be used including the ones you mentioned as well as such semi-real ones as the Loch Ness monster and others. Bringing them to life would've been very interesting and something that would never get dated.

I actually think that this land is going to be a pleasant surprise to many people. Believe me, I fully understand that even though the movie made a ton of money there are a ton of people that did not like it and that is cool.

I happened to like the movie (not love it). The visuals of the movie, however, were astounding to me, and that is what I think Joe Rohde and his imagineers are going to place the most emphasis on. I am certain that the E-ticket simulator ride they are making will be excellent and the boat ride will also be enjoyable.

To me, the part that I am waiting for will be the land itself. Right now there is a ton of concrete pouring going on. Someone on another site took some high res overhead shots of what was done so far and aside from major ground clearing and pilings, there is nothing to see but concrete. Once vertical construction starts and you finally start to see the floating mountains being constructed, that is when people will start to get excited.

The one major difference between this land and New Fantasy Land - especially the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train - is that you can't really see anything…and that stinks. However, it also adds a bit of mystery to the project that I also enjoy. I think that in the end, the land itself is what will be the most amazing part of this expansion. Floating mountains, glowing plants that react, what have been reported to be amazing animatronics, should all amount to something special.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter