Autograph Sessions

If DCL follows what has occurred at the WDW parks, there won't be character greetings or autographs. The characters do appear, but not for meet & greets, they are distanced from the guests. But we really won't know until they release information/plans about re-starting cruises.

Disneyland Paris has selfie spots for characters. The character is behind a rope, and you keep (at least) your 6ft distance, you can interact, only no hugs or autographs. It's not perfect, but it gives some unique opportunities and costumes we wouldn't have before Covid.

For characters we have 2 variations. Both I can see working on a cruise ship. The biggest problem with the cruise ship is the 'narrow' hallways where characters meet. They will have to create one way lanes to make sure guest flow keeps going.

Examples from my last trips.
1. Characters around the park
Minnie in Frontierland

Donald & Daisy on Main Street.

2. Characters in a theater. As there are no shows, we have several empty theaters, these are used to have a backdrop or a full set.
You enter the theater via one side, go on stage to take your pictures and have your moment, and then exit via the other side.
Halloween 2020 - just backdrops for villains. They have a 15 second show where the villains walked on, do 2 dance steps and play Hallloween music during the sets.

Mickey and the Magician show-theater

The Frozen show is dark, but they use the sets to meet Kristoff & Sven and Anna & Elsa. As you can see, also the characters social distance.

Last edited:

Oh, wanted to add something they can also do on the ship are the little shows. I think all the atriums have little balconies between the elevators? They can be closed off, I think I saw these used on Marvel cruises for dance parties?

You could use these to have character pop ups. For example, Tiana with 'Dig a Little Deeper' on the Wonder. It's not a picture with a character, but it is a way to involve characters during the cruise without having guest interaction.

Oh, wanted to add something they can also do on the ship are the little shows. I think all the atriums have little balconies between the elevators? They can be closed off, I think I saw these used on Marvel cruises for dance parties?

You could use these to have character pop ups. For example, Tiana with 'Dig a Little Deeper' on the Wonder. It's not a picture with a character, but it is a way to involve characters during the cruise without having guest interaction.
Well, except for the transitioning TO and from the little balconies. That's entirely guest space.

Well, except for the transitioning TO and from the little balconies. That's entirely guest space.
I'm not sure what TO means, so not exactly sure what you mean, but guest spaces can be temporarily closed off for a character pop-up.

Just emphasizing the word "to"
Sorry, massive brain fart. My mind mixed up 'transitioning' with 'repositioning' and I was convinced TO was a cruise-related abbreviation.

Yes, that would be the only thing to get to and from a place where a character can pop up. It does happen in Paris for the outside meet & greets. The character is accompanied by at least 2 CMs to make sure no guests come up to the character. And of course, always take the shortest route.

Sorry, massive brain fart. My mind mixed up 'transitioning' with 'repositioning' and I was convinced TO was a cruise-related abbreviation.

Yes, that would be the only thing to get to and from a place where a character can pop up. It does happen in Paris for the outside meet & greets. The character is accompanied by at least 2 CMs to make sure no guests come up to the character. And of course, always take the shortest route.
Yes, they can "part the waters" putting characters in those locations, but it won't solve the social distancing required by guests trying to vie for the "best" position to watch the event. The atrium isn't that big, and railing view spots available are fairly limiting.

Yes, they can "part the waters" putting characters in those locations, but it won't solve the social distancing required by guests trying to vie for the "best" position to watch the event. The atrium isn't that big, and railing view spots available are fairly limiting.
I get that, but these things in Paris are unannounced and about 2 minutes long. I think this should be doable on a cruiseship as well.

Example of Maleficent on the castle

Last edited:
Disneyland Paris has selfie spots for characters. The character is behind a rope, and you keep (at least) your 6ft distance, you can interact, only no hugs or autographs. It's not perfect, but it gives some unique opportunities and costumes we wouldn't have before Covid.

For characters we have 2 variations. Both I can see working on a cruise ship. The biggest problem with the cruise ship is the 'narrow' hallways where characters meet. They will have to create one way lanes to make sure guest flow keeps going.

Examples from my last trips.
1. Characters around the park
Minnie in Frontierland
View attachment 532834

Donald & Daisy on Main Street.
View attachment 532831

2. Characters in a theater. As there are no shows, we have several empty theaters, these are used to have a backdrop or a full set.
You enter the theater via one side, go on stage to take your pictures and have your moment, and then exit via the other side.
Halloween 2020 - just backdrops for villains. They have a 15 second show where the villains walked on, do 2 dance steps and play Hallloween music during the sets.
View attachment 532830

Mickey and the Magician show-theater
View attachment 532832

The Frozen show is dark, but they use the sets to meet Kristoff & Sven and Anna & Elsa. As you can see, also the characters social distance.
View attachment 532833
Personally I wouldn't mind if they did something like this. Part of the reason I like DCL is the character meet and greets. As I feel like when I'm at the parks I prioritize the rides more than meeting the characters, while on DCL I prioritize meeting the characters. If there's no shows then they can use those theatres for meet and greets where the characters are on stage and you walk up on the stage but stay 6ft apart. A nice backdrop in the background. They could probably still have them be ticketed. Perhaps in the main atrium area the characters can be on the staircase and you're at the bottom. I believe there are ways they can do socially distant photos.

I’m sure DCL will continue to have characters for photo ops. OP asked specifically about autographs, which I do not expect will be an option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter