Aussie Disneyland Planners come on in and lets plan together :)

Well I can't believe that nearly 3 weeks has passed since we returned from Disneyland and spending xmas and new year in Canada.

Although its slightly aviation biased, I have attached a link to a trip report I have put on the net.

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8859

Well DL was fantastic and certainly being there just after Thanksgiving was a great time to visit.

Some Comments/Suggestions:

Transfers
For transport to/from LAX to Anaheim we used "Tony The Limo King" www.limoland.com. Pick-ups were on time in a stretched limo, and paying pre-arrival including tax and tip saved a lot of hassles.

Doubletree Guest-Suites
Excellent hotel and got an upgrade to a DL fireworks view room. Within an easy 15 minute walk to DL or convenient and regular ART service. Had breakfast at the Denny's across the street and in the hotel. Also had dinner a couple of times in the hotel bar which was also fantastic.

Disneyland/DCA
Certainly doing DL on Tues, Wed & Thurs and DCA on Fri worked exceptionally well. Longest wait for a ride in DL was 15 to 30 mins. Made good use of the Fastpass system and the early entry with the hopper pass. HIGHLY RECCOMMEND getting a copy of the Unofficial guide to DL. The suggested 2 day plan worked a treat with minimal waiting times.

Best place to eat at DL was Thunder Mountain Ranch just behind Thunder Mountain Railroad. All you can eat buckets of Ribs, Chicken, Coleslaw, Beans and Corn Bread for $19.90 per person.

AVOID the hot dog vendors. $6.75 will buy you a cocktail frank in a dry bun!

Eating Outside Of DL
Best place we found was "Bubba Gumps" just outside Anaheim Garden Walk. Food and Service and great and good value. Whilst their one night, I wanted a beer but didn't know what to choose, so the waiter brought me a selection to try first (free of charge) so I could decide. Ask for a table served by Manny!

A few reviews rave about Mimmis. We went for BF one morning and I couldn't really see what the fuss was all about. Pretty ordinary.

Hollywood Tour
Highly recommend getting a private tour from "Rays Economy Tours". http://economytours.net/aboutus.html

Cathy our driver picked us up in a clean spacious sedan at the hotel at 9.00am as booked and took us for a full day tour which included:

Hollywood Blvd
Farmers Market
LA Ink
Rodeo Drive
Beverley Hill Star Homes
Santa Monica.

Unlike the bus tours, at each stop she gave us as much time as we needed to explore and had us back to the hotel in Anaheim at 6.30pm, all for $275 for 3 of us. She even kindly waited for us and dropped us back at DL so we could get some last rides in. Best value tour out. They also operate Airport transfers and can tailor any tours as required.

We had a great time and will certainly go back one day.

Thanks Soak01 for your report. DH & I enjoyed your report too on SQTalk. DH especially loves looking at plane pics, and I loved seeing all that snow!

Well soak01, you certainly have had a wonderful trip! The photos are amazing and I especially love the one of the sunset over Russia/China..............just breathtaking!

It is 10 months exactly to the day until we fly out for our month long Disney fix! We have been planning for so long, but everything is booked and done, so now just a matter of waiting................Christmas at DL, I just can't wait!!!

Cheers

Good to hear about the great trips. I haven't been around much since our trip past Sept, bit time withdrawals and post trip depression !! Kudos to those going soon and again for some of you.

Friend is going in Sept, anyone stay anywhere other than HOJO's and liked it? He is considering Fairfield Inn By Marriott which is next door and gets pretty good reviews. Just wondering if any fellow Aussies have any tips.

Also, they are going to LA and San Fran so any family hotel recommendations would be great. They are first time travellers so I am helping them out as much as i can. At least I can pretend I am going. !!:sad2:

Friend is going in Sept, anyone stay anywhere other than HOJO's and liked it? He is considering Fairfield Inn By Marriott which is next door and gets pretty good reviews. Just wondering if any fellow Aussies have any tips.

I have friends who have stayed at Fairfield Inn and they really liked it from what I remember. :thumbsup2

My friends stayed at the Fairfield Marriott too and they highly recommended it. The reason we went with HoJo's instead is for the kids water playground.

As for Los Angeles, I guess it depends on what area they want to stay in. We wanted Hollywood so I've booked the Holiday Inn Express Hollywood Walk of Fame. It's got good reviews (and was one of only a few hotels that would take 5 in a room), so I'm hoping it was the right choice. I haven't booked anything in San Francisco yet, have to do a bit of research first.

thanks, that is a great help already.

ehsmum - your trip sounds great. would love to be able to do another big trip.

Good to hear about the great trips. I haven't been around much since our trip past Sept, bit time withdrawals and post trip depression !! Kudos to those going soon and again for some of you.

Also, they are going to LA and San Fran so any family hotel recommendations would be great. They are first time travellers so I am helping them out as much as i can. At least I can pretend I am going. !!:sad2:

Hi, We're a family of 5, stayed at HOJO's so can't help with first question. In LA we stayed in the Hollywood Holiday Inn, it had two queens and a sofa bed, breakfast was included. Breakfast wasn't included but had cereals, eggs, bacon, toast, bagels, yoghurt, fruit, tea and coffee. Hotel was in a great spot close to walk of fame etc.

In SF we stayed at Suites at Fishermans Wharf, we had 2 brm apartment, it was a bit dated, but really clean, the staff were great. It was a couple of blocks from the wharf. We had a great view of Alcatraz from our balcony. The cable car stopped at the door.

HEY GUYS!!!
Well its 20 days until i leave and the time is ticking dow oh so slowly i have 13 working days left!:cool1:
I just though I would say Hi again as i have been MIA for a few weeks!

How exciting, Maree!!

Well I can't believe that nearly 3 weeks has passed since we returned from Disneyland and spending xmas and new year in Canada.

Although its slightly aviation biased, I have attached a link to a trip report I have put on the net.

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8859

Well DL was fantastic and certainly being there just after Thanksgiving was a great time to visit.

Some Comments/Suggestions:

Transfers
For transport to/from LAX to Anaheim we used "Tony The Limo King" www.limoland.com. Pick-ups were on time in a stretched limo, and paying pre-arrival including tax and tip saved a lot of hassles.

Doubletree Guest-Suites
Excellent hotel and got an upgrade to a DL fireworks view room. Within an easy 15 minute walk to DL or convenient and regular ART service. Had breakfast at the Denny's across the street and in the hotel. Also had dinner a couple of times in the hotel bar which was also fantastic.

Disneyland/DCA
Certainly doing DL on Tues, Wed & Thurs and DCA on Fri worked exceptionally well. Longest wait for a ride in DL was 15 to 30 mins. Made good use of the Fastpass system and the early entry with the hopper pass. HIGHLY RECCOMMEND getting a copy of the Unofficial guide to DL. The suggested 2 day plan worked a treat with minimal waiting times.

Best place to eat at DL was Thunder Mountain Ranch just behind Thunder Mountain Railroad. All you can eat buckets of Ribs, Chicken, Coleslaw, Beans and Corn Bread for $19.90 per person.

AVOID the hot dog vendors. $6.75 will buy you a cocktail frank in a dry bun!

Eating Outside Of DL
Best place we found was "Bubba Gumps" just outside Anaheim Garden Walk. Food and Service and great and good value. Whilst their one night, I wanted a beer but didn't know what to choose, so the waiter brought me a selection to try first (free of charge) so I could decide. Ask for a table served by Manny!

A few reviews rave about Mimmis. We went for BF one morning and I couldn't really see what the fuss was all about. Pretty ordinary.

Hollywood Tour
Highly recommend getting a private tour from "Rays Economy Tours". http://economytours.net/aboutus.html

Cathy our driver picked us up in a clean spacious sedan at the hotel at 9.00am as booked and took us for a full day tour which included:

Hollywood Blvd
Farmers Market
LA Ink
Rodeo Drive
Beverley Hill Star Homes
Santa Monica.

Unlike the bus tours, at each stop she gave us as much time as we needed to explore and had us back to the hotel in Anaheim at 6.30pm, all for $275 for 3 of us. She even kindly waited for us and dropped us back at DL so we could get some last rides in. Best value tour out. They also operate Airport transfers and can tailor any tours as required.

We had a great time and will certainly go back one day.

Thanks for the tips! We are going to have a car in LA but I want to book a limo to pick us up from the airport and take us to our Hollywood Hotel. I'll have a look at tony the limo king.

I have the 2 day DL touring plan from the Unofficial Guide already packed in my documents folder - good to hear that it works!

Hi everyone,

bumping this back to the top - we were on page 9 :eek:

We had a 3 week holiday to DL and Las Vegas last Oct/Nov and can't wait to go back. We had purchased annual passes so that we could make a return trip this year but it was not looking good when our holiday rosters came out, and with christmas/back to school expenses. With a bit of juggling I have managed to co-ordinate 1 week after the July school holidays when DH is on his rec leave. I mentioned this last night and presented the idea of a quick fly in/fly out disneyland only holiday if we can get a cheap enough airfare and DH agreed :yay:

OMG I am so excited - we already have the AP to Disneyland and Universal Studios so there will really only be flights and accommodation, food and a little bit of spending money - oh and we must do Medieval Times again as that was the best time I have had for a long time.

Heres crossing my fingers for some good specials.

Sue

well i am there in november this year for 2 weeks.. thinking of trying to arrange a meet.. should be good

:cool1: I can wait its 8 days until we get to sydney and 9 days until I leave for america!!!
We are heading to sanfrancisco first for 5 nights then to Vegas for 6 night then to DISNEYLAND!!! for just over 3 weeks!
Its so close all my planning is finally coming together we just booked the segway tour so excited!

:cool1: I can wait its 8 days until we get to sydney and 9 days until I leave for america!!!
We are heading to sanfrancisco first for 5 nights then to Vegas for 6 night then to DISNEYLAND!!! for just over 3 weeks!
Its so close all my planning is finally coming together we just booked the segway tour so excited!

How exciting!! Have fun packing and getting everything ready.

I so wish that we had another trip planned :sad1:

So excited for all you guys leaving soon!! Don't forget the trip reports when you get back!! I love hearing about everyone's holidays.

My Trip

Any comments, constructive criticism, suggestions or tips on this plan so far? This will be our first time to DL and the US, and travelling with my husband and son, nearly 10yrs old:

Mon 9th May - Leave Perth 9pm
Mon 10th May - arrive very jetlagged at Anaheim (around 3-4pm) after 2 nights in plane, one day in Auckland in between (they were cheap tickets!).
Tues 11 Disneyland - staying at Park Vue Inn
Wed 12 Disneyland
Thurs 13 Disneyland
Fri 14 Disneyland
Sat 15 Drive to Williams near Grand Canyon, stay at Railway Hotel.
Sun 16 Williams - GC - Williams
Mon 17 Williams - Las Vegas by midday hopefully: Flamingo Hotel
Tues 18 Las Vegas - Sequoia; Buckeye lodge
Wed 19 Sequoia - Yosemite; Wawona Hotel
Thurs 20 Yosemite
Fri 21Yosemite
Sat 22 Yosemite
Sun 23 Yosemite to SF; Marines Memorial Hotel
Mon 24 SF
Tues 25 SF
Wed 26 SF to Camarillo - arrive probably in the evening. Visit a friend
Thur 27 Camarillo to Legoland; Holiday Inn (in the evening)
Fri 28 Legoland
Sat 29 Maybe we'll see the peir and beach? We have to be at LA airport at about 5pm. Then we leave for Perth around 9pm.

I regret booking Legoland package, but I clicked confirm before I realised it was one of those non refundable things. I've read reviews about LL and they sound pretty bad; a bit of a downer after seeing DL, and nothing for adults. Perhaps my son will like it as he loves lego anyway, and then I might just let dh and son go by themselves while I do some shopping instead.

I regret booking Legoland package, but I clicked confirm before I realised it was one of those non refundable things. I've read reviews about LL and they sound pretty bad; a bit of a downer after seeing DL, and nothing for adults. Perhaps my son will like it as he loves lego anyway, and then I might just let dh and son go by themselves while I do some shopping instead.

I was a little reluctant about visiting Legoland (particularly with what it cost to get there from Anaheim), but it was really good.

My DH is NOT a lego person at all (apparently his mum deprived him of it as a child :eek: ), but even he was impressed. Don't go looking for lots of thrill rides, because they are not there (okay there was maybe one)! The lego displays/rides were just amazing. We were totally impressed by the park.

The food is rather pricey and not that great. We took in some snacks (they didn't check bags).

Otherwise - have fun. DL in May is great, the weather is fantastic.

My Trip

We went to Legoland in December for the first time with our 10yr old son and we liked it. He loved it! He like it more than Disneyland :rotfl: (well not really but he said he did) and he isn't even that into lego, he likes it but is not lego mad. There was one ride that I had trouble getting him off, it was a water ride, sort of like a jetski that goes round, he would get off and get straight back on (no queues), he rode it about 12 times. I didn't think it looked that great and he was drenched by the end as you get wet. There was a 3D show with lego people racing that was ok too. The lego displays are quite amazing too. It was Christmas for us so there was a huge lego Christmas tree and a Santa in a sleigh with reindeer and the park was SO quiet, we didn't have a wait for anything and could ride anything over and over again with no wait. Like the PP said, the food was expensive and not that great, but we had a good day.

I think you might be surprised. You will be visiting there at the opposite end of your Disney portion of your holiday. We were staying at DL and did a day trip to LL and liked it.

Anyway your trip sounds amazing! Have a fantastic time :thumbsup2

Thanks for your feedback. My dh still loves lego! LOL

I might post this itinerary in a general thread as well, to see if the americans can add anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter