Aulani: What's the One Thing You Wish You Knew?

We will be in a studio. Where are the washer/dryers? How long does it take to wash? To dry? Thanks!

Post #261 in the Aulani Villas and Views thread has a description of the two laundry rooms at Aulani.

If I remember correctly, the washers run for about 30 minutes and the dryers for about 40 minutes.

This question comes up so frequently that I've added a link in Post #1 of the Aulani thread.

hi everyone! i don't know if this is a good question to ask here but...i was thinking of booking a pearl harbor tour the day after we arrive in aulani. is that too soon? will we be too tired from traveling? any thoughts?

hi everyone! i don't know if this is a good question to ask here but...i was thinking of booking a pearl harbor tour the day after we arrive in aulani. is that too soon? will we be too tired from traveling? any thoughts?

We flew to Aulani from the east coast as well, and my DH was so tired that first night that he was nodding off at dinner! We were good to go early the next morning, due to the time difference, and embarked on an all-day circle island tour that started with a 7:15 pick-up...we were all fine and enjoyed the day very much.

The Pearl Harbor excursion, if booked through Aulani's website, has a 7:15 pick-up also. Judging from our experience, I think you should be fine. We booked it through Aulani for our third day, so two early-morning days in a row. It worked out really well and we are glad we planned it that way. I say go for it!

:sunny:

If you are coming from NY, the time difference might effect you and you might be up very early anyway. I would do it. Not sure which day of the week you are coming. A weekend day will have less traffic. We went on a Monday, and we were fine. There was traffic but not too bad.

You will probably be up early next day after arrival coming from the east coast anyway!:goodvibes
The criteria for us going to Pearl Harbor was planning around a weekend day...Many posts have indicated to do so because of the traffic situation on a weekday was tough! We planned it to a weekend day and had NO PROBLEM with traffic!
Get advance reservations though! ENJOY!:goodvibes:thumbsup2

The one thing I didn't realize was that there is very little to do on property in the evenings. We are very spoiled by WDW resorts. We take many vacations to WDW without going into the parks, and there is always so much to do well into the evenings. Yes, there is live music every night at the Olelo room and also some nights at Off the Hook. But of the eight nights we were there, only two outdoor movies scheduled, and they were both cancelled. Two nights for the Starlit Hui, one night cancelled. Fire pit storytelling was great. They had three different "uncles".....but only 3-4 different stories. :( So if you are there for more then a couple nights, it's the same stories over and over.

I understand that at WDW there is more than one resort that we can go to for evening entertainment. But even there, we often stay at AKL and we don't have to leave the resort for entertainment if we don't want to. There is a movie Every night. The African cast members with different stories and experiences. We would like to see more planned activities that go into the evenings at Aulani.

The one thing I didn't realize was that there is very little to do on property in the evenings. We are very spoiled by WDW resorts. We take many vacations to WDW without going into the parks, and there is always so much to do well into the evenings. Yes, there is live music every night at the Olelo room and also some nights at Off the Hook. But of the eight nights we were there, only two outdoor movies scheduled, and they were both cancelled. Two nights for the Starlit Hui, one night cancelled. Fire pit storytelling was great. They had three different "uncles".....but only 3-4 different stories. :( So if you are there for more then a couple nights, it's the same stories over and over.

I understand that at WDW there is more than one resort that we can go to for evening entertainment. But even there, we often stay at AKL and we don't have to leave the resort for entertainment if we don't want to. There is a movie Every night. The African cast members with different stories and experiences. We would like to see more planned activities that go into the evenings at Aulani.

I agree about the lack of evening entertainment. I know we were there somewhat at the same time. We missed the only Starlit Hui we were there for since it was cancelled. The following night it was raining. We were originally going to the Mingle thing but that was cancelled due to the rain. The kids wanted to go to Au Ty's so after wee dropped them off I suggested to DH that we went to Olelo and listen to the music. The problem was they had to bring the the musicians in due to the rain and it was so loud in there that DH and. I couldn't hear one another. Lol. They need more evening activities. We usually just went swimming or to the hot tubs or took a walk.

I wish I had know there was a map for the photopass photographer locations when we got there not 2 hours before we were leaving. When we went to get our CD at the end, we were then told about the photos scavenger hunt and given the map. We were 2 locations short of getting a free 5 x7. We quickly went to find photographers at those spots but couldn't find them. It was past 5 pm by then. It would have been so much easier if I had know this at the beginning of the trip. At least, we got our 4x6s.

We went to the Big Island about 5 years ago and had a late flight home. We found there to be nothing to do in Kona after 5 or so and we had to search for something open to occupy our time. So maybe this is typical for Hawaai? That's my only other visit, so not a lot to compare, but I don't remember it being an issue at the resort (hilton waikoloa) but we had trouble in Kona itself.

The one thing I didn't realize was that there is very little to do on property in the evenings. We are very spoiled by WDW resorts. We take many vacations to WDW without going into the parks, and there is always so much to do well into the evenings. Yes, there is live music every night at the Olelo room and also some nights at Off the Hook. But of the eight nights we were there, only two outdoor movies scheduled, and they were both cancelled. Two nights for the Starlit Hui, one night cancelled. Fire pit storytelling was great. They had three different "uncles".....but only 3-4 different stories. :( So if you are there for more then a couple nights, it's the same stories over and over. I understand that at WDW there is more than one resort that we can go to for evening entertainment. But even there, we often stay at AKL and we don't have to leave the resort for entertainment if we don't want to. There is a movie Every night. The African cast members with different stories and experiences. We would like to see more planned activities that go into the evenings at Aulani.

Absolutely! We ended up walking across the street to Monkeypod a few nights, the Mexican restaurant, and the Italian restaurant at the Marriott. Aulani needs to add a few later night activities. Not everyone wants to turn in at 11 pm!

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

thank u to everyone who posted replies for my pearl harbor question! we have such a great community here & i don't know if everyone realizes how much we help each other by taking the time to post answers to peoples questions...so...thanks again!!!

The Menehune Bridge Water Play area is nice, but my 10 year old was told to leave as she was over 48 inches. I too was asked to leave. I was trying to get photos and followed up the stairs and told to get off. It wasn't overly crowded. My son could be there for hours.

Thank you for taking the time to post such an informative and detailed report:thumbsup2

Can I just ask about this play area - is it really designed for tiny children? The reason I ask is that my 7 year old is already over 48 inches - is he going to be very disappointed at missing out on something great or is it likely he'll take a look and assume its for babies!;)

Just thought I'd get the 'heads up' before I get there ;)

Thank you for taking the time to post such an informative and detailed report:thumbsup2

Can I just ask about this play area - is it really designed for tiny children? The reason I ask is that my 7 year old is already over 48 inches - is he going to be very disappointed at missing out on something great or is it likely he'll take a look and assume its for babies!;)

Just thought I'd get the 'heads up' before I get there ;)

DD is a little over 48" and she loved the Menehune Bridge area. There were several kids that were taller than her. Her second cousin that lives in Hawaii played with her in there. He is 8 and taller, and was not asked to leave while they played in there. He loved it too.

Would the Aulani veterans on this thread have any opinion on the various premium beach and pool seating? The pricing looks predictably steep but perhaps for one day we might consider a Cabana or Casabella set-up.

Would the Aulani veterans on this thread have any opinion on the various premium beach and pool seating? The pricing looks predictably steep but perhaps for one day we might consider a Cabana or Casabella set-up.

We rented a cabana twice and reserved the Executive Lanai as well. I think it is worth it as long as you are going during a busy time. We were there in July and I was always especially thankful that we had a designated space we did not have to hunt for or worry about losing.
The casabella's alone are not too expensive.

DD is a little over 48" and she loved the Menehune Bridge area. There were several kids that were taller than her. Her second cousin that lives in Hawaii played with her in there. He is 8 and taller, and was not asked to leave while they played in there. He loved it too.

When we went last December, my nephew was 8 and definitely over 48". He played on the bridge with DS(6) all the time, and it was never a problem. They definitely don't let adults on the structure itself, but you are welcome to stand underneath in the water if you want to watch your child and/or take pictures. We had the photo pass photographer take the pictures for us so that we didn't get our camera soaked.

I think that they want to keep the area safe for younger kids. So while they aren't measuring each child to make sure they are under 48", I think they "eyeball" it and ask kids who are clearly older and well-above the height limit to leave. It makes sense, as nobody wants their 2 year old to be trampled by a teenager :-)

We rented a cabana twice and reserved the Executive Lanai as well. I think it is worth it as long as you are going during a busy time. We were there in July and I was always especially thankful that we had a designated space we did not have to hunt for or worry about losing.
The casabella's alone are not too expensive.

We'll be there over Easter/spring break so I imagine it will be a full house. I am thinking to splurge on a cabana on Easter Day. Can I reserve at the 180 day window which is coming up soon?

We'll be there over Easter/spring break so I imagine it will be a full house. I am thinking to splurge on a cabana on Easter Day. Can I reserve at the 180 day window which is coming up soon?

I'm not sure of the exact booking window but book dinners and cabanas early. Try now, you can book dining right online.

When we went last December, my nephew was 8 and definitely over 48". He played on the bridge with DS(6) all the time, and it was never a problem. They definitely don't let adults on the structure itself, but you are welcome to stand underneath in the water if you want to watch your child and/or take pictures. We had the photo pass photographer take the pictures for us so that we didn't get our camera soaked.

I think that they want to keep the area safe for younger kids. So while they aren't measuring each child to make sure they are under 48", I think they "eyeball" it and ask kids who are clearly older and well-above the height limit to leave. It makes sense, as nobody wants their 2 year old to be trampled by a teenager :-)

Thanks ever so much :thumbsup2 that's great to know its an option for him should he choose to play there:thumbsup2

I booked a cabana at like 10 months out for next June. I'm on my phone, but if you search my posts, I posted the number I called. I'll see if I can find it and bump the thread for you.

We had reserved a cabana for our last day at Aulani but ultimately canceled it mid-way thru our week due to the steep pricing. (I reserved it in Feb. for August and I was already 4th on the first come first served list.) Even with the DVC discount it was going to be $300. We couldn't be guaranteed where we would be (we didn't want to be in the adult area because our DS isn't 18 yet but we also didn't want to be in the little kids area where it would've been noisy). That left hoping for one of the 3 in the family pool area which were located completely out of the wi-fi range. Even tho the resort was at 100% capacity while we were there we discovered that if we got down there by at least 8:00 AM we could find a suitable spot with an umbrella that we were happy with. We thought we could do better things with that $300. The price was just too steep for our pockets for what it included. Since we are a family of 3 the casabella thing wasn't practical since they only seat 2 - we would've needed to rent 2 of them. We did rent a cabana (which they called a gazebo) when we went to the Sheraton on Maui for our last day there. At only $75 / day it was TOTALLY worthwhile.:thumbsup2 When I considered that the price there was $225 cheaper I felt like Aulani was a total rip-off. (Another factor in our decision to cancel.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter