Aulani: What's the One Thing You Wish You Knew?

How much is the photopass? Can you buy a cd with all your photos of the whole week like you can at the parks?

I think we paid $99? And they put a bunch of stock professional photos of the property on there for us as well.

How much is the photopass? Can you buy a cd with all your photos of the whole week like you can at the parks?

Yes but you cannot add borders and get them on the CD at Aulani. If you want any borders, you must do online.

There were photo pass photographers at the characters here after the pool party 2 days ago? We haven't went to any of the scheduled character times though.

We learned this is considered an "Event" and "Events" do have photographers, but the scheduled characters meeting do not have photographers and not all characters participate in "Events".

Yes but you cannot add borders and get them on the CD at Aulani. If you want any borders, you must do online.

We learned this is considered an "Event" and "Events" do have photographers, but the scheduled characters meeting do not have photographers and not all characters participate in "Events".

Is there a discount for a prebuy on photopass at Aulani?

Is there a discount for a prebuy on photopass at Aulani?

Not that we found. It seemed odd that they were really pushing to purchase the CD at Aulani but didn't have a way to include borders or most character photos.

Not that we found. It seemed odd that they were really pushing to purchase the CD at Aulani but didn't have a way to include borders or most character photos.

there are a few things that I do find 'odd' as well, comparing it to the way things are run at the parks. Especially since PP+ at DL is only 99 and that includes attraction photos.

A few thoughts about our Trip 3/18-3/29.

Pearl Harbor- must do- very interesting and emotional.

Ala Moana mall- very high end shopping we went after Pearl Harbor

Paradise Cove Luau- loved the village stuff bought souvies- meal and show-meh, the luau at the Poly is better.

Ama Ama-Loved our dinner and yes it's pricey. We were happy after lots of neg. reviews.

Monkey Pod- Loved our dinner and waiter and atmosphere. Enjoyed the little outdoor mall area. Picked up a few things at the ABC market too.

Dole plantation- enjoyed that but not very organized.

North Shore- I wish we had known a little more about this area before we went. It's very quaint with little shops and lots of places to eat and snack. I could have spent at least a half day here but probably a full day.

PCC- very informative like a really scaled back Epcot of the South Pacific Islands. We were there from 1:30 until after the show and it was too long for us. the food was ok and we had the Prime Rib Luau I thought the show was good, DD14 and DH didn't like it except for the fire dancers.

Roy's- Our favorite meal. Our waiter was excellent and made lots of suggestions and had us try different things to go with what we ordered and our dinner was amazing.

Oleo room- Apps (for Dinner) were excellent I wish we had tried them sooner as we would have gone back. The Macaroon hamburger for dessert is not only great tasting but one of the most clever presentations I have ever seen.

Family dinner in Room- This was very good. We had the pasta with meat sauce for 4 and it could have fed 6. So nice to have home cooking without doing it.

Did our grocery shopping at Safeway. If you have a Von's or Albertson's card you can use it there. We did plead our case and they let us sign up for a safeway card at the check out and be able to use it the first time. It saved us $60.

I brought 9 bottles of suntan lotion for 3 of us and we still had to buy 2 more. We did spend a tremendous amount of time at the pool and we do lotion every time we come out of the pool but the sun is super intense.

Had a great trip and I hope my thoughts can help someone.:)

Let me ditto the above!

Also, we saw more fish snorkeling in Rainbow Reef than we did on the more expensive Aulani exclusive Catamaran excursion. However, we did chase a pod of whales up the coast which was cool. Never saw sea turtles while snorkeling but did find them on the north shore.

Giovanni's Shrimp Truck was closed when we got there but there were two others parked at the same place so we gave them a try. Pretty good but I would NOT recommend the shrimp tacos. There is also a McDs right across the street for kids who don't like seafood (and clean bathrooms).

I have a couple of questions, having done some research for our upcoming trip:

1. I've read on some websites that it's best to wait to get to Hawaii and buy flip flops, water shoes, hats, sunglasses, sunscreen as they are all (except sunscreen) cheaper. Do you find this to be true? I mean, we will bring what we have from home, but with six of us, I know we don't have enough as of right now. Sunscreen, we were told, is better to buy there (don't remember the reason why).

2. Beach toys - Should we buy our own or does Aulani have enough for when it is crowded?

3. Family dinners - I can not, for the life of me, find the information online. At one time someone had a link to the dinner options/prices, but I've looked through so many boards, I can't find it.

4. The lines at Aunty's - is that JUST for the extra activities or do you have to get in line to even let your child attend?

5. BBQ - I understand there are bbq areas - is there seating in that area as well? Say, if we wanted to bbq and just eat outside...are there picnic benches or something of that sort?

I think that's it for now =)
Thanks!!

1. I've read on some websites that it's best to wait to get to Hawaii and buy flip flops, water shoes, hats, sunglasses, sunscreen as they are all (except sunscreen) cheaper. Do you find this to be true? I mean, we will bring what we have from home, but with six of us, I know we don't have enough as of right now. Sunscreen, we were told, is better to buy there (don't remember the reason why).

We packed our own, but when I made a Costco run at the beginning of our trip, I found that their prices on the multipacks of sunscreen were the same as at home. I would recommend bringing flip flops as you want to ensure you have comfortable foot wear and new flip flops may not be as comfy as the ones as home (plus they're small and flat for packing). When we went to other stores such as Target or Long's Drugs, prices were ok but I wouldn't call them cheap. Also, we had issues finding our DDs size in some items as it seemed like all the spring breakers had already wiped out a lot of inventory.

2. Beach toys - Should we buy our own or does Aulani have enough for when it is crowded?

We were there last week when the resort for packed and we had no issues with toys. We were always able to get boogie boards and sand toys at the beach but we did have to wait about 30 minutes when renting a paddle board.

3. Family dinners - I can not, for the life of me, find the information online. At one time someone had a link to the dinner options/prices, but I've looked through so many boards, I can't find it.

I don't have a link handy, but there were three options - pasta, chicken, and fish entrees I believe. Cost ranged from $80-90 depending on your selection.

4. The lines at Aunty's - is that JUST for the extra activities or do you have to get in line to even let your child attend?

In the morning, it was for the extra activities and to get in for open house. During the day, kids come and go so the wait wasn't too long.

5. BBQ - I understand there are bbq areas - is there seating in that area as well? Say, if we wanted to bbq and just eat outside...are there picnic benches or something of that sort?

I remember a couple of picnic tables or you could just throw a blanket or towels on the lawn and have a picnic.

The line at Aunty's is insane. Today at 6:15 we know of someone who was 12th in line. Crazy.

Aulani has a ton of beach toys, but they do run out. My little boy wanted sand toys yesterday at mid-morning and they were out.

My answers are below in Green

When we went to Target I found the water shoes to be more expensive.... like $30, locally I can get pairs for more like $15-$20.... so I would not recommend buying water shoes there. My DH did by a nice pair of flip flops but prices were not lower, if anything, it's Hawaii, so things are often more expensive due to shipping costs.

2. Beach toys - Should we buy our own or does Aulani have enough for when it is crowded? They have some beach toys but I cannot speak to their inventory during busy times. We were there over Christmas, it was very busy , my kids were able to get buckets and such to play with no problem.

Here is the link to the posts of menu photos from over on the Aulani Villas and Views thread. It comes up when you do a search of that specific thread by entering "family meals"--page down to post 319
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=47305423&highlight=family+meals#post47305423

4. The lines at Aunty's - is that JUST for the extra activities or do you have to get in line to even let your child attend?cant answer that as my kids are teens. Hopefully others can help.

5. BBQ - I understand there are bbq areas - is there seating in that area as well? Say, if we wanted to bbq and just eat outside...are there picnic benches or something of that sort?There are a few long picnic like tables down to the one side of the 4 grills but there is not a lot of seating.

I think that's it for now =)
Thanks!!

Hope that helps! :thumbsup2

KNOWING HOW CROWDED IT WAS! We had gone during March 2012 when only half the resort was up and running and the place was empty! We were truly able to enjoy everything the resort had to offer. We then decided to go back during Christmas of 2013 and the place was PACKED! I guess it was just something I didn't expect and almost everyone I had encountered there were a bunch of rich snubs. It was very hard to enjoy the resort this time around and we had to get up around 5AM to reserve decent pool chairs.

KNOWING HOW CROWDED IT WAS! We had gone during March 2012 when only half the resort was up and running and the place was empty! We were truly able to enjoy everything the resort had to offer. We then decided to go back during Christmas of 2013 and the place was PACKED! I guess it was just something I didn't expect and almost everyone I had encountered there were a bunch of rich snubs. It was very hard to enjoy the resort this time around and we had to get up around 5AM to reserve decent pool chairs.

I was there at the same time over this past Christmas break (and also in August of 2012)... and I am hardly a rich snob so hoping you weren't refering to me :cool1:...

Now that Aulani is fully open, unless you go during the slow season, its pretty much going to be that way. So I guess the lesson is try to go during the off season... unless you are beholden to kids school vacation breaks like we currently are.... at least for a couple more years.

I wish I knew if Laniwai offers the $45 pass anymore. Their QA on the website says they don't offer day passes but I remember my husband got a pass one day. I had a spa treatment so perhaps that's the diff?

I wish I knew if Laniwai offers the $45 pass anymore. Their QA on the website says they don't offer day passes but I remember my husband got a pass one day. I had a spa treatment so perhaps that's the diff?

Some more recent visitors have reported that the Day Passes are no longer offered, just like their website now states. They did used to offer them back in 2012 when we went the first time but it sounds like they dropped that once the resort was completely up and running.

Some more recent visitors have reported that the Day Passes are no longer offered, just like their website now states. They did used to offer them back in 2012 when we went the first time but it sounds like they dropped that once the resort was completely up and running.
Thanks so much. That's when we were there as well. Heading back this July. Guess I better get booking those spa appointments!

I actually called them yesterday to ask that and a couple other questions. No, they do not offer the day pass anymore.

Can you pack food in your carry on or checked luggage? Like granola bars, etc.

Can you pack food in your carry on or checked luggage? Like granola bars, etc.[/]
You can't pack liquids in carryon but you can in checked luggage. On the way to Hawaii you can pack any kind of food in checked and carryon. On the way home there are restrictions on certain foods like fruit and your luggage will go through Agricultural Inspection.

Coming home from either the Bahamas or Aruba, I "stuck" a banana to eat while waiting for the plane on the way home in a carryon not knowing...

I was flagged going through security and the bag was thoroughly checked...I WILL NEVER do that again...SCARY!:scared:

facebook twitter