Aulani Standard View Grand Villa

I’ve called and asked this question before and the cast member wasn’t able to help me. It’s been a while since I’ve stalked the standard view grand villas but I used to and not once did I ever see a night available. The most sensible explanation is that they aren’t in the DVC rotating inventory yet although that does seem somewhat like false advertising on DVC’s part given the points calendar that all prospective DVC buyers use.

I’ve called and asked this question before and the cast member wasn’t able to help me. It’s been a while since I’ve stalked the standard view grand villas but I used to and not once did I ever see a night available. The most sensible explanation is that they aren’t in the DVC rotating inventory yet although that does seem somewhat like false advertising on DVC’s part given the points calendar that all prospective DVC buyers use.
Way back when they first launched the Resort Availability Tool on the DVC members' site, I seem to remember that in fact, there were some dates that would show as available for the standard view GV. Then at some point all availability just vanished. But then again, there used to be (I think) two additional sv GV's that were removed so they could build the Ulu Cafe. So, who knows...

Could they be missing now due to the refurbs going on at Aulani? They probably take longer than a standard room.

I pieced together a March 2022 stay at Aulani from a cancelled WDW trip when we were at Aulani in early January 2022. WDW had been booked since the 11month mark , but we decided while we were in Hawaii that we weren’t quite ready for the Florida theme parks (particularly given Omicron) so we cancelled and I had to try to piece something together last minute at Aulani. I managed to get 10 consecutive nights in 1 bedroom but different views and had to move twice so I was constantly stalking trying to change view categories and minimize moves. While stalking, 7 consecutive days in a standard view grand villa popped up. It wasn’t there long, but it was available (and very tempting!!).

Ive seen this too and assumed they are held for cash bookings/points breakage. Good theory on not being declared too. But I agree they are not actually bookable. I’ve never seen a single day. Ever.

I requested information from my direct guide regarding purchasing a fixed week in a Grand Villa Standard view. There isn't a single week available in a standard view, but there are many Ocean view fixed weeks available in the Grand villas. The guide also said the resort is far from being sold out. I asked about the Standard view availability, and how it was possible to be able to book it easily with cash so far in advance (looking at September 2023), but impossible with DVC points even at 11 months. There is zero availability. Not a single day between now and 11 months, and it's been that way for quite a while. There is no way that regular DVC bookings are taking up availability to this extent. Cancellations happen and would show up now and again.
My guide seemed vague on answers, but said they would ask Member Services and get back to me.

Anyone know the answers to these?:
Are there only 2 standard view Grand villas in the entire resort?
Or are there only 2 that are dedicated to DVC bookings?

Disney is not permitted to allow cash bookings to take up all of the availability of this room category, leaving no availability for DVC bookings. If rules aren't being broken, they sure are bent.

I requested information from my direct guide regarding purchasing a fixed week in a Grand Villa Standard view. There isn't a single week available in a standard view, but there are many Ocean view fixed weeks available in the Grand villas. The guide also said the resort is far from being sold out. I asked about the Standard view availability, and how it was possible to be able to book it easily with cash so far in advance (looking at September 2023), but impossible with DVC points even at 11 months. There is zero availability. Not a single day between now and 11 months, and it's been that way for quite a while. There is no way that regular DVC bookings are taking up availability to this extent. Cancellations happen and would show up now and again.
My guide seemed vague on answers, but said they would ask Member Services and get back to me.

Anyone know the answers to these?:
Are there only 2 standard view Grand villas in the entire resort?
Or are there only 2 that are dedicated to DVC bookings?

Disney is not permitted to allow cash bookings to take up all of the availability of this room category, leaving no availability for DVC bookings. If rules aren't being broken, they sure are bent.
SV GVs have not been released yet for DVC booking because the resort has sold enough points yet

SV GVs have not been released yet for DVC booking because the resort has sold enough points yet
Sorry, I don’t understand. If the resort hasn’t sold enough points total, not all room categories are available for DVC booking? I was under the impression that DVC members have booked these villas in the past with points.

There are only two in the whole resort. Second floor endcaps above Ulu and Auntys. At least one goes to cash booking (as you saw). It’s possible that the other one has already been sold in fixed weeks… but that would open up sometimes as people change plans. More likely both are booked just with cash.

As the resort sells, units and points are declared into inventory. So it’s possible those units havent actually been declared into DVC inventory yet. Or as people use points for things like cruises, regular hotels, adventures by Disney etc- those points are taken and converted to cash rooms. It’s also possible that the standard grand villas are used to balance that breakage- probably easier than tracking multiple smaller rooms. It’s a mystery as to why…. But basically for DVC members, that is not an actual booking category,

Sorry, I don’t understand. If the resort hasn’t sold enough points total, not all room categories are available for DVC booking? I was under the impression that DVC members have booked these villas in the past with points.
DVD declares rooms for members to book as more points are sold. Meanwhile, Disney will use the undeclared rooms as cash rooms not available for booking by members using points.

DVD declares rooms for members to book as more points are sold. Meanwhile, Disney will use the undeclared rooms as cash rooms not available for booking by members using points.
To be clear:

DVC members own the declared units. Disney owns any undeclared points and units and can use them as they wish. Disney using undeclared units is within their ownership rights and does not infringe on the rights of other members.

Ok thanks for the clarification. However, that still doesn't explain why members used to be able to use their points to book this room category on occasion, but since Covid so it seems to be literally impossible. What changed? What happens when people have to cancel?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter