August W.I.S.H.Thread: Awesome August

Day 2 of school is not going good. After school yesterday DD took a 2 hour nap and then decided to go to DS's soccer game. I should have said no to this but I was going by what she was feeling. She lasted about 15 minutes before we had to take her home because she felt so sick. She forced herself to eat last night because she said she had to eat something. This morning she was still pretty bad and we couldn't get her out of bed because she felt so sick and dizzy. So she is at home for her 2nd day of school. It is hard to tell how much of this is the concussion or her anxiety. I will call the dr. today to see about getting anti-nausea meds. I talked to her earlier in the week about this and we decided not to use it at the moment because it makes you drowsy. I am going to see about giving it to her when she gets home after school to help her recover quicker for the next day. I feel like we just went back several weeks with this concussion. This is one frustrating injury.

:hug:

We must have been posting at the same time, so I just read this. Sorry to hear she's having a rough time again.

Well in a turn of events, DD has decided to go to school and do what she can. She doesn't think she will get sick. She doesn't feel great but she is going to try. So I can for certain this has nothing to do with her anxiety. If it was she would not be trying. I applaud her for trying to push through this. We did tell her that she can contact us if she starts to feel worse and we can get her.

Good reminder on the gratitude journal. I got the Simple Abundance book (again) last year, but of course I don't actually read from it. With the change of the seasons I'm really feeling a pull toward rituals again, so this would be a good one to start.

Today I am thankful that I do actually love the new living room rug I impulsively bought last week, and that I was able to get it put down without too much moving around of furniture. I'm not sure I'm going to love the new coffee table with it, the coffee table that I also impulsively bought that has been sitting in the box for three weeks. I took the old coffee table out when I put down the rug and the cats have really been enjoying playing in the extra space, so I kind of wish I didn't have a coffee table at all. And of course now I'm thinking of updating the drapes...

Tuesday Fitbit was saying I was over calories, but I couldn't figure out why because my calorie intake was about the same and I had 7000 steps. Then Wednesday morning it was all updated and I was under... the ap hadn't calculated calories burned properly. It did the same thing last night and reset this morning, but didn't capture my sleep report. My new Fitbit came yesterday, so I've switched to it which will hopefully help. So I'm thankful I wasn't really over in calories and I'm thankful I finally remembered to order a new Fitbit.

My CT scan appointment is early tomorrow, I've never done a CT scan before so I'm curious and looking forward to what it will tell us... and thankful it looks like nothing serious is going on.

Ok I should do my Thursday Thankfuls.

I am thankful that DD is pushing through. She did get a headache and took some Tylenol but she has stayed at school.

I am also very thankful for her school. The nurse has been awesome and is working with my doctor to get the medication form filled out correctly. she put extra strength Tylenol for a total of 500mgs but I sent the regular that would but her over the dose. We were able to run up to give her the full dose and the nurse is working on getting the form fixed. One less thing for me.

I have emailed her teachers to give updates and they have responded today that they will keep an eye on her today. Her Spanish teacher is awesome and told her not to worry about any work that need to be completed on the computer and she doesn't need to do the homework right now. Not that I want her not to do the homework but this will at least help give her a break in the afternoons. They are all being very supportive of DD including her councilor.

I am thankful that one of my trainings was a review, so since it was on Zoom, I was able to get some work done in my room while I listened.

I am thankful that I am making real progress in my classroom.

I am thankful that one of my new colleagues comes from a similar professional background, and we share the same developmentally appropriate philosophy, so I won't be bucking the system by
myself.

I have used a gratitude journal during different times in my life, and I did find it useful. I get a lot out of our group, and at the moment, this is enough for me.

No journaling for me, ever. I always see the good. Used to drive my mother crazy!

Thankful DH got a jury summons today and not me! :rotfl2:

Thankful we have the funds on hand to pay for new flooring in the house's 25 year old addition! I just emailed our contractor and said, "Go!"

Thankful for peaches. They are so yummy!!

Today was one of the hard days that your article mentioned…so little things.

I’m thankful for my students.
I’m thankful for my friend/grade level partner.
I’m thankful the school board meeting is over!
I’m thankful I can control myself and my actions.
I’m thankful for this group and how wonderfully supportive you all are.
I’m thankful for my bed!

Well, that was more than I expected to have, so I’m thankful for Thankful Thursday:)

I think I had just fallen asleep when Summer posted. I stayed up to listen to our school board meeting to see if they would approve the health and safety plan amendments proposed by our administration. It’s was long and painful to listen to, but we are basically back to normal with some reporting of cases, quarantine for positive cases only, and optional masking. It’s just makes me nervous. I won’t handle it well if my kids (any kids in the school) get seriously sick from this virus!

And it’s so unlike me, but I don’t even have my plans done for the first week of school yet! I’ve spent a lot of time this week trying to help the new k teacher as well as our new secretary and our new Autistic Support teacher. So I’m staying home today, but hopefully focused on my school work and not distracted by my family ;)

I think I had just fallen asleep when Summer posted. I stayed up to listen to our school board meeting to see if they would approve the health and safety plan amendments proposed by our administration. It’s was long and painful to listen to, but we are basically back to normal with some reporting of cases, quarantine for positive cases only, and optional masking. It’s just makes me nervous. I won’t handle it well if my kids (any kids in the school) get seriously sick from this virus!

My mom has been school for a week and through the district (1 high school, 1 middle school and 6 elementary schools about 500-600 per graduating class) has over 100 kids quarantined and 15 positive cases. A lot and not a lot a the same time. She is a 7th grade teacher. She had a student come to school on Wednesday, came to open house that night and then was out Thursday with a positive COVID test. They had to test on there own. The school is not randomly doing tests. She is so mad.

We already have schools that have been in school for a week or so that have switched to a mask mandate or have had to close for a few days because people are sick. I am just waiting for it to happen here. I have heard that most in the high school are not wearing masks and that the hallways and stairs are really crowded. Also the whole school eats lunch at the same time and the lines for lunch are huge. It will not be long before the shoe drops here.

So sorry for all of you who are teachers and/or connected to schooling... we've been at this for over a year and it is confusing and disheartening that so many children are being put at risk because the adults can't get their acts together.

The CT scan appointment went well, in/out in a flash, with at 7:15am appointment they hadn't had the opportunity get get behind schedule yet. Even traffic was tolerable, despite having to go 45 minutes away via freeway on the cusp of rush hour.

The two pounds I put on at the beginning of the week were not a fluke and have stuck around up until one of them disappeared this morning. I have no idea how/why that happened, as the only thing that changed was getting more exercise.

I'm second guessing whether or not I'll go over to Vashon Island this weekend as I'm now leaning towards going to IKEA to look for new drapes instead. Not really an equal tradeoff in the fun category, but I'll probably get as many steps in at IKEA as I would walking around a park. Other than that I have pledged to myself that I will get the new coffee table built this weekend, and I will finish swapping drapes in the bedrooms and will get the new mini-blinds hung. Plus I'll go get an air purifier, as that may help my sleeping. All really exciting stuff.

I finished up my classroom at 4:30. Kids start on Monday.

Masks are mandated as well as vaccinations for all staff. Those not vaccinated because of medical or religious reasons must be tested weekly. I am concerned because we aren’t using plexiglass or social distancing. The air conditioning in my building works for the first time since the school opened, so I am encouraged because that means that they worked on improving ventilation. I will still have windows open just to be safe.

I hope that things improve for all of us.

Personal Disney History Quiz - - -

Have you been to WDW, Disneyland, both, or neither?

How old were you on your first visit?

Do you have a favorite park? And if so, which one?

Which resort(s), if any, have you stayed at, and what did you lIke best about it?

What's your Disney fantasy?

WDW - 9 times

27 - on my honeymoon

It changes trip to trip.

Which resort(s), if any, have you stayed at, and what did you lIke best about it?

POR - The quiet, relaxed atmosphere, the fact that it had a sit-down restaurant, the boat to DTD.

CBR - The theming. - The February we stayed there was known as "Snowmageddon" at home, and I needed tropical!

POP - Theming again. I loved the big icons - a photographer's playground!

POFQ - General celebratory feel, fun decorations, beignets!!

AK - The animals, of course!! And the amazing lobby Christmas tree!

Getting to stay in Cinderella castle! - Specifically, waking up there, looking out over the park in the early hours of the morning, and just breathing in the magic.

DL twice and
WDW 40+ times, I've lost count. Since my first trip it has been an all most yearly visit with the exception being the year I had an annual pass when I went four times, because you know, with Disney math it felt like it was practically free.

I think my first trip was 1990? So I would have been 34? Seems so young. I was living in the Washington DC area and my then 10 year old Niece flew out to meet me and we drove down. We stayed at a Days Inn in Kissimmee and mostly ate at Denny's, which was the height of luxury for her at the time.

I think EPCOT is my favorite. In the early days it was always my first park and the first thing I always did was Space Ship Earth. SE is still one of my visceral triggers, a big ah ha know I am really there.

Which resort(s), if any, have you stayed at, and what did you like best about it?
POP is my home-away-from-home, with the most stays. I've also stayed at CRB and French Quarter (might be my second favorite), Dolphin and Swan (love these too mostly for the location) and once at Old Key West. After that first Days Inn trip, I stayed at places on hotel boulevard across from Downtown Disney for many years, the first time I stayed ' truly on property' was a revelation. The March 2020 trip that got canceled the week before it was scheduled, I was meeting up with friends and we were split staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge and Boardwalk... so close to staying deluxe for the first time.

My Disney Fantasy
has been to take my (mythical) boyfriend and introduce him to the world, particularly Star Wars Land because he's a huge fan. But I'm feeling like my next WDW trip will be my last for quite awhile, as for the cost I could do so many other things. So now my travel fantasy is to go to Scotland with him. Unless he wants to do a WDW trip with his (mythical) grandkids...

Last edited:
WDW - 6 times, Disneyland - 1 time

39, I had no interest before then, and we basically went for DD who was 6 at the time. The plan was that it would be a one-off, then we all fell in love with the MAGIC.
Magic Kingdom. We typically spend 4-5 days there and 1-2 at Epcot.
Caribbean -
Not a favorite...way too much walking to get anywhere within the resort (the only trip we had blisters upon blisters); the busses were a hot mess (probably better with Skyliner); not crazy about the dining options; the main pool was overcrowded, and the room was too small.
ASM - Liked it more than Caribbean because it was more condensed, & it was a great value option when money was tight. The main pool was large enough to not be overwhelmed by large crowds. All that was missing was a slide.
Beach Club - Loved everything about it, especially Stormalong Bay, and outstanding dining options. I just wish the rooms were larger, and that it was located near Magic Kingdom, which is why we haven't been back. We will definitely do a split stay in the future so I can get my MK fix.
Contemporary - Loved everything about it. We were fortunate to have a very high tower room just below Club Level with a Bay Lake view. Dining and shopping options were excellent. Proximity to monorail and MK was AMAZING. LOVED the theming and large room size. Unfortunately with Incredibles theming taking over, I doubt that we will return. I am SO glad that we stayed there before that happened.
Polynesian - The overall immersive theming makes it our all-time favorite WDW resort. We love 'Ohana and Captain Cooks, but we do wish there was a high-end dining option. Fortunately, high-end options are just a monorail ride away. We are very much looking forward to staying in the new rooms on our next visit.
Disneyland Hotel - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! It is similar to the Contemporary, but it is very much a historical feeling of Walt Disney...his presence is felt everywhere. I felt a sense of Disney MAGIC at the Disneyland Hotel, Downtown Disney, and all of Disneyland like I have never felt in WDW making it my FAVORITE Disney destination so far.

DD's future wedding at the Grand Floridian Wedding Pavilion. We plan to take a short trip staying at the Polynesian to meet with the wedding planner a year before. Then we will stay at the GF (Club Level?) for the week of wedding festivities. I will be giving her away with my DH, and a perk will be riding in Cinderella's Coach with them to the Chapel. DD will honeymoon at the Poly, and we will stay on at the GF for a couple of days, then move to the Beach Club for a couple more days while she honeymoons (We will make a point of avoiding her and her new husband).

Last edited:

Both - DL 1 time, WDW 13 times (I think)

16 - So my brother and I were supposed to go when we were 10 & 13. We got certificates in our Christmas stocking saying we were going the following Aug. But by New Years Eve it was cancelled because my mom found out she was pregnant. My sister was born that Aug. so we waited until the summer before my senior yea of HS to go to WDW. Then in Nov of my senior year, my field hockey team played in a tournament in CA, so we went to DL. So my first trip to both parks was in the same year.

I like them all for different reasons. But I’d probably say Magic Kingdom is where I feel the most Disney magic 🥰

Wilderness Lodge - first trip with the kids. Just amazing theming and great memories!

Port Orleans French Quarters - beignets

Animal Kingdom Lodge - the animals

Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower - convenience of walking to Magic Kingdom, plus monorail in the building! And views of the castle

Polynesian - favorite theming and the studios are huge! Fun drinks and good pool with views of the castle

Beach Club - Storm Along Bay. Beaches & Cream. Walking to Epcot. Walk or boat to HS

Boardwalk - the boardwalk. Walk to Epcot. Walk or boat to HS.

Saratoga Spring - beautiful grounds. Close to Disney Springs. DVC home resort - almost always available for booking because of its size

Pop Century - only one night and I don’t remember too much about it other than a big Rubik’s cube and it was record setting lows while we were there in Dec!

Living in Disney. It’s just so magical!

WDW-4 DL-0

12 or 13. I went for a dance competition. Park time was minimal but still fun

It used to be EPCOT but now AK for sure. DS9 was all about FOP. DS6 loves the animal kingdom show on dis+ and legit everything about being in the park made him happy. DD3 loved navi river journey so much she tried to climb over me to get to the shamann of song (did not see that one coming). Having one park make all of them so happy how could you not love it? DS9 at one point said, mom even though its summer I'm learning something and it's fun! DS6 who is speech delayed and shy was asking CM questions about the animals a couple hours into the first day. The first time he asked what an animal's name was without being prompted I almost cried.

Coranado-beautiful and quiet grounds
CBR-the vibe and smell of the lobby
Please see my recent post on the resorts boards as I am in a bit of a conundrum on what to do next and hearing some responses from positive folks would be nice (if you are a fam of 5 where do you stay?)

Being able to go a bit more often-like yearly or every other year. We went this year because even with EVERYTHING things at home were sort of quiet. Who knows what next year will bring in terms of my parents' health? If we had skipped this year and that situation lead to a cancel next year I would have been heartbroken. As it was we didnt tell the kids until a few hours before we left just in case...

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter